Could someone answer my Question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I dont really care what anyone labels me..........I have an issue with alcohol, or Im an alcoholic.

To be honest, Im not really even embarrassed about it........I was never shy telling people how much I drank.....so why should I be shy about having the strength and "wisdom" to not ever touch it again.

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but societies perception of me, matters not
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

I tend to agree with Nelz. I'm an alcoholic and I do not try to avoid the label. I feel in my heart, that I'm no better than the homeless bum panhandling for money to buy wine. While I've have had a very successful career, and all that comes with that, I'll never deny the core issue that has so impacted my life. Alcoholism as its worst.

I use September 11. 2001 as my excuse. While I lost a good friend that day, I didn't lose my coping skills. I was three blocks away from the attack. I thought I'd be OK. Post disaster, I was often expensing luncheons for clients with huge amounts of liquor to soften deal making. I typically didn't drink that much. Then I did. I would take clients on booze fueled trips to the Hamptons, Colorado, and my favorite Nantucket, where my boss had a summer home. I think it was late October 2001, that I really got drunk. Bad. Spent a night at a hotel in NYC, pissed myself, and threw up in the lobby. Then, I had clients on a house boat that was docked for a halloween party In NYC. My budget was around $30,000 I got very drunk and left them on the boat as I hit bars in Manhattan. Thank dog I had the where-with-all to call the CEO to say I booked everyone rooms at the NY Hyatt. I fell asleep at the bar. A week later I was billed for $125,000 and I should have been fired. I'm a guy that had to terminate employees for slightly embellishing their expense accounts. I felt so ashamed. I drank more and more.

My boss at the time was a BIG boozer. As his IT VP we got along great. He asked me to host a press conference with then Mayor Giuliani to discuss the corporate bailout of lower Manhattan post 9/11. I never showed. I got drunk in an Irish pub near work. I blamed traffic and no available cabs on not attending. I left this job on November 25th, 2009 after 25years. ALCOHOLIC I'm the meaning of the word!!!
      “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Isn't it truly amazing that no matter how insane things got with booze as fuel, it gets better with AL out of the picture?

(Techie just for the record, you and I would have gotten along famously in corporate life "back in the day!")

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I try to avoid getting into discussions about my drinking with anyone. My mind is made up that I cannot safely drink. I have caused mysefl a lot of problems over the years trying to prove to myself that I am not an alcoholic by trying to drink like a normal person, and wanting to drink because I was envious of people who could do it without critisism. I dont really think I like the term alcoholic because to me it is associated with AA and their teaching which I dont wholly agree with. Right now I am sober and thats great, I hope to keep it that way but dont think about it to much because I dont know what the future holds.

Comment

mia: I say that I am a recovering or a sober alcoholic rather than an active alcoholic. If I have one drop of AL in my system, my old addiction will kick up, & I will be back to square 1 of 3 years ago. Have you thought about trying AA again? I'm sure your dad has asked you that question. Non-alcoholics like my husband do not understand this disease. He thinks that now that I haven't had a drink in 3 years I'm "cured." I've seen too much relapsing to think I'll ever be cured. Mary
            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
            October 3, 2012

Comment

:hxo:l

Comment

Working...
              X