Something about indignation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another year seems to have passed very quickly. Here I am at 6 years stone cold sober.

I do seem to become very reflective on my anniversary and I hope it is ok that I come here each year on this day. I am one of the original people who came to this site. I think I was the 70th member or something like that. I used to be here a LOT but that need passes over time and as my life takes off, I have not been here like I was in the past.

However, I always remember how people on this site helped me at the beginning and even though they may not be here anymore it was here that I made some healthy connections that were invaluable to my changing something important in my life. For the record here, I am a complete abstinence person. No moderation here. No medication either, (I’m done with self medication) but not a dry drunk; I am a living breathing, growing person.

Enough of that. I got to thinking about what has altered the most and the thought was immediate. For me something about indignation has altered. If I reflect on 6 years ago I think I was a very indignant person. I felt wronged for some things. For other things I ignored how indignant I was about them and buried that deep inside of me. Over the years I have worked on myself a lot and this is an underlying theme. In the first ‘bit’ of sobriety the indignation could nearly get me again.. like “I’ll show you how angry I am and how I don’t care and I’ll get myself plastered” kind of thinking. So for me it was a big deal to work with. However, its not just learning new self talk that got me sober.. I swear by exercise. Something about pushing yourself and sweating out the aggravation or whatever it is. Even if it has nothing to do with helping me be sober, its healthy. Whatever, I swear by it.

Trying to get to a place where I can let things wash over me and not take them into that chamber of my heart that gets me all indignant and up tight is an ongoing process, but it is a worthwhile process, for me. Its not as if I let people walk over me now. I’m learning new ways to communicate and learning to live new communication (as opposed to obliterating myself).

I do find that I increasingly seek the peace and not the drama. In all aspects of my life. I used to live the drama like a moth to the flame I’d be “where it was at” thinking that in some way this was where I needed to be. Now, however, I’d rather be in the peace, however I can find it.

Not that my life is all peaceful, you understand. I still have a family and business to run and people can always be challenging on occasion. I guess I’m more present. I find that I can kind of sit outside of myself and watch when things get out of hand and I am way better at walking away when I need to. I really notice when a mood shifts and I take care to protect myself now.

As long as I live I will not forget how awful and how hard it was for me in the beginning. Never will I delude myself that becoming sober was easy because it was not. If ever I think I might be starting with drinking thinking I’ll bring myself to the threads on my story. I’m horrified (but not so surprised) to see 50 odd pages of people writing there how they DONT love drinking. I remember the day I wrote my first post. That person was me. Thank heavens I’ve changed.

Living sober gets easier and easier. My heart goes out to those starting out and I wish them all the very best so that they may continue because for me, living this way is a much healthier way for me to live. Today is Melbourne Cup day in Australia. I remember my first sober Melbourne Cup like it was yesterday. I remember shaking “could I do it”? I told people I was on antibiotics!!! Now its not an issue for me. I’m happy about that.

So here I sit with 6 years under my belt. No going back for me. No way. Much easier to stay on this course than to go back to that awful beginning again. Being in the “I cant” headspace is so awful.. I prefer to continue to work on the “I can”.

Key components to my program.
    Stay sober. Dont take one.
    Eat healthy
    Exercise is a way of life. (strength in body gives my mind strength)
    Honesty with myself – and I share with at least one person what is really going on with myself.
    Personal growth and self awareness.
    Meditation

The best to all of you in the effort.
    ATT

My first post on this site
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8...tory-5039.html
    At three years
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f4...now-27639.html

My five year post on this site
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f4...day-45944.html

B, How absolutely lovely to see you here today. I'm still here and happy to say that I'm in a calm, contented place.

Wonder if Habbo Hotel still exists? :H

Comment

Ha!! Tawny. You're still around you lovely person.

I'm thrilled to hear you are in a good place. Goodonya.

You me and Kate in Habbo. Them were the days!!!

Best to you.xx

Comment

ATT - thank you for your post.
        It's invaluable for us to hear of progress from beyond. What your post highlights to me is the huge personal transformation that takes place as time goes on, it's not just about living without alcohol, it's improving every aspect of your thinking and your live. Wishing your continued journey to be a peaceful one.

Chill
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

Hi ATT, it's great to read of your escape from the madnes and your personal growth, many congratulations and thank you for sharing your valuable insights.
          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Thanks to you both Chil and KTAB.

I've had a lovely quiet day and the reflection does me good.

Best of luck to the two of you.

Comment

Great to see you ATT.

Thanks for sharing. I love your post's.

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

ATT thanks for sharing that. Evolving is a lovely thing, isn't it? Peace is such a better choice.
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hi All
                  ATT great to hear from someone who has worked hard to escape the al. It is the growth we experience in our lives that makes af so worth it. Life with al is living in a haze, numbing from all that life is. So good to hear about the full life you are enjoying.
                  6 years is has to be a nice place to be. Happy Anv. CONGRATS!!!!

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                  AF 5-16-08
                  Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                  AF 5-16-08

Comment

Abouttimeto, thank you for taking the time to come back. I changed my signature before I read this and resolved that November 1st was the start of my AF life! I can't believe that was your date also. I feel like it is a sign....
                    I will save your posts and refer back to them. Again, thank you!
                    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Thanks GBloke Greeneyes and Casea... Yes peace is a better option. It does get easier.

And to Daisy... its not luck its determination that will get you there but I wish you luck too. That first bit for me was VERY hard so if you are like me dont underestimate that.. but I promise you its worth it.

ATT

Comment

Congratulations!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Great post ATT; thank you for sharing your reflections.

Comment

Thanks DG and Blondie.

In response to a few messages I have got I would like to add something here....

I'm not a magical person at all... nothing special about me. I was a solid hard core drinker. I drank to black out. It was taking over my life and I could see (when I wasnt blacked out) where it was taking me.

Sure, once I had a bit of abstinence under my belt I 'thought' about drinking. Came close on occasion... so what stopped me? (thats the question I seem to be asked)...

Well, I think it is honesty that stopped me. I got honest with myself. I'm sure if I had a drink now through sheer force I could stop at one but what is the point of that. Its too risky for me. .. either my biology or my chemistry or whatever it is.. When I see people drinking I dont see them as being happy... I see them as getting drunk or being drunk. Of course there ARE people who can have a drink or two and thats fine. I'm not talking about them. We (drinkers) can spot the drinkers among us from a mile off.

So.. do I laugh a lot? Am I happy? Well I'm not someone you will find with a loud laugh in a pub thats for sure. If I laugh I can laugh till I cry. I am able to have and to express emotion. It does get easier. At first it feels and it is (I guess) fragile but it does get easier.

I dont see any point in me having got sober and putting that effort in and then to take up drinking again. No point in that at all. When I was drinking I made that awful first post of mine. I was NOT happy when I was drunk. I was drunk. I dont want to go back to that. For me there is only one way to make sure of that... to keep on this path I'm on.

At first it was hard to think of "forever"... so I didnt. I just thought.. today.. or this minute.. but now forever is freedom.

I hope that answers the questions. All this wisdom didnt help me win on the Melbourne Cup mind you!!

ATT

Comment

i just read your posts. Inspiring to see someone become hole again.
                              thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X