Annoyance and alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoyance and alcohol

Annoyance was a trigger for me. And as a drinker, lots of things annoyed me. Have you noticed that too? Little things. Things that didn't really matter if you thought about it. But I didn't give myself time to think about it. I simply reacted in the same way - annoyance, aggravation. They called for the instant relief of alcohol. And I was happy to oblige.

When we realize we must not give in, I think for some time we still have the same annoyance response, we just battle the giving in to alcohol to dilute it. This isn't easy, is it? Even though abstinance itself weakens the aggravation meter, it's still there.

Luckily for me, my quitting paralled an exploration of spirituality and mindfulness. I hooked up with some sites that many here know. TUT TUTs Adventurers Club: Explore the power of thought & creative visualization to manifest dreams!, Daily OM DailyOM - Nurturing Mind Body & Spirit, to name a couple and I get emails to help remind me of things; to redirect my thought patterns. Those suckers are hard to redirect sometimes, you know?

The message below came to me and I thought about the part where it says the aggravation is seldom worth the cost it exacts. I thought wow, no kidding, especially for an alcoholic. You might look at this as a tool to use in those moments so that you may learn how to quickly release those feelings and move beyond simply battling the alcohol urge in response to them.

From The Daily OM:
    "In the stress of a singularly tense incident, differentiating between an inconsequential annoyance and a legitimate challenge can seem a monumental task. Ask yourself whether the emotions you are feeling will be as vivid in a year, a day, or even an hour. As focused as you are on this moment in time, your reward for letting go of your emotional investment may be the very happiness and harmony of being whose loss you are lamenting. Needless aggravation is seldom worth the cost it exacts. You cannot distance yourself from life's inconsistencies, irritations, and upheavals, but you can relinquish your desire for perfect order and gain peace of mind in the process."

Best to you in your journey. Please try to continue to explore new avenues to move further and further beyond addiction. It is an exciting way to grow.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Annoyance and alcohol

This is so true for me too Greeiearse. I have to work on managing my irritation sometimes. Using the spiritual path is working for me too. It has answered many questions and gives me much comfort. In many ways I am delighted that alcohol has opened this doorway for me. TUTs notes from the universe always brings a smile to my face
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

startingover;1285789 wrote: In many ways I am delighted that alcohol has opened this doorway for me.
      Yes, me too. I sometimes wonder if I had to go through the addiction experience to get through that doorway. Interesting (in an odd way) how alcohol addiction was/is an experience integral to some avenues of growth that are essential to my journey. Life's funny sometimes.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

Greenie, thanks to you I get regular e-mails too from those sites, and I thank you for periodically sharing this info around here!

What stood out for me today was this part of your post:

but you can relinquish your desire for perfect order and gain peace of mind in the process
        My perfectionism drove a LOT of annoyance/aggravation (and downright anger) and subsequent drinking. When the alcohol first came out of the equation, I was still left with the perfectionism, annoyance and aggravation. It has taken a lot of work to really examine these things in my life, and make real change. It's a process that's for sure! But a rewarding journey indeed to find that "peace of mind." Alcohol sure never provided that.

Always good stuff Greenie! :crowned:

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

greeneyes;1285793 wrote: Yes, me too. I sometimes wonder if I had to go through the addiction experience to get through that doorway. Interesting (in an odd way) how alcohol addiction was/is an experience integral to some avenues of growth that are essential to my journey. Life's funny sometimes.
          I think we always must admit that really EVERY thing we go through teaches us something for our higher good.

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

Doggygirl;1285795 wrote: Greenie, thanks to you I get regular e-mails too from those sites, and I thank you for periodically sharing this info around here!

DG
            Ditto DG!

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

Thank you Greenie, I needed this.
              Day 1 again 11/5/19
              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

Thanks Greenie.

This is super relevant to us. :h

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

Thanks for giving me a nudge in the right direction too Greenie!
                  I look forward to my TUT emails everyday & many, many more

Here I am celebrating three whole years without that AL monkey on back. I thank you & everyone here for the guidance :h
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

Thanks green eyes ,I could so relate to them annoyance triggers or in my world then any excuse triggers.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

thank you Green eyes. I keep coming back to this post - it makes so much sense for me. :-)
                      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

Green, thanks so much for this. It made a huge difference to my last hour of work for the week. I read the TUT site testimonials and it really helped me focus my thoughts and change my mood. I really have to keep this stuff at top of mind, it's powerful. I just got off a friendly call with a normally mean coworker, and really feel that my intentions and focused thinking about the situation helped my attitude and the call progression to an expedited and positive completion happen. A miracle!

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

Thanks I also will ck out the links. Trying to be perfect is an unrealistic. So unrealistic that I will never be able to obtain. Now that I realize this truth & continue to affirm this, it takes a whole lot of pressure off myself. Those feelings of annoyance, anger, frustration diminish. I can visualize them floating way.

I also have to continue to practice that I'm not in control of many situations, which include other people, their behaviors. The outcomes. I will do the best I can do today.

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

:hxo:l

Comment

Annoyance and alcohol

henrymax;1372927 wrote:
                              WE HAVE CONTINUED TO PATROL THE AREA AND THANKFULLY THIS WEEK WE HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY CALLS FROM THE PUBLIC REGARDING ANTI SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR OR ANNOYANCE CALLS.
                              Thanks Henry. People have been wondering where the moderators are. I will sleep easy now, knowing you are on the case.

Now i'm after some blinds. What's your best price? PM me.

Thanks buddy.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                              X