7 years sober today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 years sober today

This has officially been my annus horribilis but here I stand 7 years completely sober... and here I am with my annual connection with the site that I used when I was starting out. I always feel apologetic coming here because I'm not a regular poster only an annual one.. I just always wondered what happened to some people that I became close to here when they disappeared and if anyone wondered about me, then I hope they look out for me... even if its only once a year.

I am grateful to be sober and I am proud. The mindset that nothing and no one would turn me back to drink has really helped me this year. The decision to live is profound and in my experience is total... and has been worth the effort.

You see, this year I was diagnosed with cancer. It was unexpected, asymptomatic and dramatic. Two weeks later I was having major abdominal surgery and a few weeks after that I was undergoing chemotherapy.

Shock does not describe an event such as this... but luck is also involved... and I mean that. I was lucky because I was fit and so even though the surgery was horrible to say the least, I recovered well and I recovered fast. I felt that time was of the essence. I did not have to delay my surgery so I could drink some more.. I had it on the first possible date. My exercise regime from getting me sober has me fit. Also having had these years sober, I feel like my liver might be able to withstand the chemo.

It felt like I was living with pandoras box open right inside my heart.. where every minute felt precious and facing my mortality having decided to fight for my life sober was very confronting indeed. Watching my family struggle with my diagnosis, my teens and their emotions and the major panic that goes with such an event was very hard indeed. Even living the emotion of it all.. sobbing from the bottom of my soul. Trying to find the strength.. to use the strength.. trying to work out what it all meant and why on earth ME? Trying to live with the prospect of not getting any answers to my questions. and then there is the awfulness of my chemo..

On top of this I had a cycle where everything possible that could did go wrong. 10 people that I know have died since my diagnosis.. (not just people I know, but people in my inner sanctum and their families)... . Trying to find a positive in this took some effort. But find the positive I will. I have received incredible acts of kindness towards me. The incredible kindness and love of my children, their faith and love in me... The people who contact me every single day.. I know in my bone marrow that I am loved. I know that I want to live. Just look at this lovely message I got from a dear friend.. she wrote it as a gift for me..

Holy Woman who is unafraid of any dark...may I choose the ways of seeing that most benefit the growth of rather than the restriction of my soul.
    May I choose to have the strength and courage to follow these ways.
    May I be cradled with all the love and support I need in doing so.
    May I walk in the guidance of the light of the sun and the moon, trusting that they know my way.
    May I know that the life which is in me loves me and serves only to deliver my soul the heaven it is longing for...my truth.
    Kneel upon the earth which you live, place your forehead upon the ground and feel me. Everyday.
    Let go of that which does not bring you peace and happiness. Accept and trust life.
    You are loved.

But this site is not about cancer.. its about sobriety.

So in all this did I think about picking up a drink? With my hand on my heart and my eyes locked into yours I can say, NO, I did not think about drinking.. did not even come close. I thanked the universe for my sobriety and my no holes barred approach to it.. not I'll just do what I can.. but I will do whatever it takes. A drink would not be a celebration or a commiseration for me.. it would be a sign that I want to die. My decision to get sober was a decision to live emotionally and spiritually. Getting cancer although it shook me for sure, it did not stop my will to live (despite some wobbly moments). I will learn the hard lessons it is teaching me. I've always been a tough love person here cos I knew I had to be tough on myself. I will not go softly on relapse or slip... or whatever you want to call it... to me it CANNOT be an option... it just CANNOT. I know that one drink would have me on the highway down the hole from which I began this journey. My decision to go forward and move forward no matter how imperfect my life is is my line in the sand decision. I support that decision every day of my life. I make that choice to move forward every day. I will not lie to myself about how awful things were for me at the start of getting sober. I was in a worse state 7 years ago without cancer and drunk than I am now being sober with cancer... and thats no lie.

I was surprised when I came here to see my 5 year post so high up this list still. I read it and in there I said

I guess this thinking of mine makes me sound harsh. I say to myself that no matter what I wont pick up a drink. Not for a death or a betrayal, not for anything. There can be nothing that would make me want to drink. I have worked hard to get to this mind frame. If hard things happen (and they have and do) I will live through it sober. If there are things I need to learn, hopefully I'll learn them. I know for sure I wont learn my lessons drunk.

How true that has been for me.. I believe that mindset has been vital for me and I"m so grateful that I worked so hard to get my mind there.

To get to my chemo unit I have to walk past the mental health area of the hospital. I see the people in there, I recognise them.. I recognise what I used to be in some of them, the eyes that do not see, the smoking and drinking right outside the unit. When I came to this site I was emotionally and spiritually dying and getting sober is way more than not having a drink.

With my cancer I thank the universe for my sobriety. Getting sober was instrumental in getting me to think straight. If I'm going to get through this it sure is not going to be by drinking myself into a stupor. There are emotions which cannot be confronted if you are drunk and I face them sober. I thank the universe that I am thinking straight. I thank the universe that I can look myself in the eyes knowing that I am doing everything that I can to get through this. I thank the universe that I am alive.

I thought I had dealt with a lot of my issues getting sober (and I had) but some of these issues have reared their head again and I have had to rehash them once more. Perhaps like taking back the layers of the onion.. going deeper into things that make up me.. the good and the bad.. trying to come to terms with it.. trying to work out my meaning and my purpose and trying to withstand the onslaught of emotion that this has been.

So today I am proud of my 7 years. I'm proud that I continue to think straight. I am proud to be sober. I have two months left of chemo. Get through this I will. I intend to post at 8 years sober and 1 year cancer free next year.

So get sober everyone. Properly sober. Dont mess with this. Get real. Get honest with yourself. Fight to get yourself thinking straight. Exercise. Meditate. And then STICK with it. You might just need it as I did.

Wishing everyone here absolute sobriety, straight thinking and good health.
    ATT

7 years sober today

Amen.
    What a true inspiration you are. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. I hold my sobriety as one of my greatest accomplishments. Like you, without it, everything else crumbles. Thank you for these inspiring words...your stength and example will help someone make it thru this day. God speed to you, and all the best. Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

7 years sober today

You are a true inspiration, wishing you a speedy recovery and look forward to reading your 8 year post
      Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

7 years sober today

thank you so very much for taking the time to share your wisdom.

here's to your continued survival and LIFE.

peace
        10-06-2012

Comment

7 years sober today

Thank you Byrdlady Panno and Betty Girl for your kind words.

I shall trug along as best as I can.. of that you can be sure.

Your kind words help.. thanks.

ATT

Comment

7 years sober today

Hi About
            Congrats on your 7years!!! Tough love was the only way for it to work for me. Thank you and all that were here when I arrived.
            You are in my prayers.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
            Af. 5-16-08
            Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
            AF 5-16-08

Comment

7 years sober today

ATT, your post has brought tears to my eyes. What an inspiration you are. I wish you much love and strength for this chapter of your life, you are clearly walking it with grace. Yes indeed, look forward to your 8 year post. Be well :l
              You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

7 years sober today

Caysea.. I remember you..AF since 08... brilliant. Well done.
                Freefly. You can know it wont be for lack of effort on my part that I'll make next year.

Good luck to you all... and stay honest with yourselves.. thats what I try to do.

ATT

Comment

7 years sober today

Hi ATT. Congrats on 7 years! I'm sorry to hear about your bout with cancer. I believe your fighting spirit and will to live will serve you well, and that we will see you here next year for your 8/1 landmark.

I too cannot afford to entertain ideas of drinking. I fought too hard to get out of that mess to ever go back.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

7 years sober today

Congratulations on your 7 years.

I am so sorry to learn about your cancer but you have the right spirit to fight it. Your latest post was very emotive and inspirational and has helped me and am sure many others. I love the way how even this did not weaken your resolve to stay sober. What you wrote about the mental health area is very true and very scary.

Look forward to hearing from you next year - or sooner if you want to post in the meantime ! You are a true inspiration.

Comment

7 years sober today

Well done on your seven years of sobriety ATT ,Its a sad fact of life that even though we archive our alcohol goals life in the bigger picture still goes on in our bodies,You are showing huge strength and insperation now ATT and I wish you nothing but the best.

Hope I came across in the right way here.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

7 years sober today

Thanks Sausage, DG and Mario.. dont worry Mario.. you came across fine.

I'm touched by all the messages of support. I truly am.

If you think about it it would be a total non brainer for me to start drinking again now hey!!

Onwards, I say.

ATT

Comment

7 years sober today

hello att,all i can say is you are absolutely amazing! i will remember your words everyday,you are inspiring,thank you.
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

7 years sober today

Hi, ATT! How wonderful it is to hear that you are still going strong! I am so sorry to hear that you are battling cancer, but your attitude is completely awesome, and I know you will be a survivor of this disease, just as you have survived and overcome the downward spiral of addiction. You move and inspire me, my friend.
                            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

7 years sober today

My eyes lit up when I saw that you had posted as I often pop over here just to read your old posts. I'm so sorry to read abt your cancer and wish you well in your recovery....once again your words give me such strength & inspiration. Thank you & God Bless.

See you next year. xx
                              AF since 9 May 2012
                              Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Working...
                              X