Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

TJ, I'm with the others here -
    I felt no reason to make a major announcement to family, friends, neighbors, the dogs or anyone. It was my private decision to quit when I did. I made a solemn promise to myself & I hold myself accountable. I was sick & tired of disappointing myself, I was ready to feel proud of myself again

Well, I survived my 60th birthday but some little part of myself can't actually believe I'm 60. I guess it's a good thing that I quit when I did - saved me years of wear & tear
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

TJ personally I didn't need to tell anyone, some noticed, the ones we use to party with and others never knew, my weekday people. Having someone support you sure makes it easier, but the main person is you. Like Lav said, not disappointing yourself. If you need others to know for that support, tell. If not, don't if you think it is hurtful.
      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice. I suppose making an announcement doesn't change the fact that I've am committed to an AF life and really all it would accomplish is heartache. Now all I have to do is survive the first AF and sober Christmas of my adult life. Big ole Whoop!
        Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Hi Friends,

TJAF, I felt a little "raw" my first holiday season too. Even if you had the happiest childhood, there is alot of emotional stuff that comes up for people during this time of year. I did tell my family that I was not drinking. It felt important to me to set that up ahead of time. Also, I did alot of drinking at family holidays so it would have been very noticeable. There used to be some empties on the counter, now just a few! It was not a big deal to them and I know that they are happy for me now because I am in a much better place. I guess to tell or not depends on your personal circumstances and family dynamics, you would know that the best. Unwasted posted some good stuff about "euphoric recall" (remembering the good and rationalizing the bad) a while back. It makes good reading as that is a dangerous pitfall for us. I find the holidays to be a beautiful season, but not always the smoothest.
          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Not a fan of all the whoop la this time of year...do wish we had some littel ones to spoil and buy presents for....dh'd grand kids are in another state and 2 of them dont know us at all...long story but we did our best and that is all we could do.
            But I did buy the new doggie a new doggie kennel today....I thought dh was going to bust a seam...it looks like an end table with the crate part below...really pretty....I knwo she will just love it..;-))
            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Hey Dottie - it's perfectly OK to spoil the doggies for Christmas

TJ, I know the first AF Christmas is a bit intimidating but you will love it, I promise!
              You can relax & enjoy the food & the company with no worries, no regrets - awesome! I wouldn't have it any other way

Hi Pinecone & LB!
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Creeping up on an AF Christmas...first in I cant remember when....looking forward to it...
                Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Hey all!
                  Back from Charleston and visiting my step daughter and her hubs. As usual, I was the only non drinker and the DD! They started having holiday drinks around 4....by the time we got back to the house, they were beginning to tell the same stories over, Hubs, step daughter and SIL! This morning when we got up and underway, they told the story AGAIN! And each acted as if that was their first time hearing it! Holy Moly...I was so glad that wasn't me.
                  My first Christmas sober was different ...but by that time I had almost a year in, so I wasn't about to start over. Once you get that first one out of the way, it will be smooth sailing from here on out. The ''FIRSTS" are the hardest. Next year this time you'll be old hats! I can assure you this...everyone of us here who blew his/her quit over a holiday wishes he hadn't. It's just not worth it. The price has become way to high. In a couple weeks all of it will be over and you'll have such a sense of pride! WE DID IT! Stay close! We're all in this together! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Welcome back Byrdie!
                    We can have our own private party here on MWO just like last year & the year before - sans AL
                    Dottie, you'll have plenty of fun & company right here!
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Yes I do Lav and so very glad!!!
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

I will be here for that Christmas party.
                        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

I'll bring lots of dairy & gluten free cookies for the party - working on them this weekend
                          No one even knows what they're 'not' eating if you don't tell them :H
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lavande;1601841 wrote: I'll bring lots of dairy & gluten free cookies for the party - working on them this weekend
                            No one even knows what they're 'not' eating if you don't tell them :H
                            You know, Lav, sometimes the GF foods I bring are the most popular - the alternatives to wheat have come a long way in the last 20 years to say the least!

LB, I saw your post elsewhere that your family is in a great deal of turmoil right now. I hope you can find some peace, at least within yourself. I'm so impressed by your commitment to your sobriety in the face of so much stress :l.

You also have some pressures on you, Dottie, and hope you can just let go of the chores that really don't have to be done right now.

Byrdie, we quit at about the same time of year (you, wisely, 2 years EARLIER!! :goodjob and I have that feeling, too - I'm too invested in this now to give it up just because it is a holiday! There will be beer and wine in my house today but no one will consume too much because I will consume none .

Peace to all, NS

Comment

NS I am trying to do the minimum needed because the mess in this house is getting to me too..but I will try to put the blinders on..I just want my clean, neat house back...well as clean as it can be with 3 dogs and 2 cats...;-)) OH and a husband....ullull
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Dottie, forget the mess - what does it really matter anyway? Find yourself a good book or movie & just chill

NS, I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with new cooking & baking tools. You asked somewhere about almond flour - yes, I love it but not the big $$ to buy a little bag at Trader Joe's. Even Amazon's prices are pretty steep. I have a pantry full different 'stuff' these days, enjoy challenging myself to be creative

AF holidays absolutely rock everyone - no worries!!!
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X