100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd just like to know if Byrdie would put the fix in for Virginia not to get freezing rain tomorrow??!!
    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Weather here is upper 50's for a change. I want to put the snow blower away but dh is not so sure. I am hopeful that spring is here...my crocus are coming up and I think my green onions in the garden are peeking out....I want to plant some veggies !!!
      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, NoSugar, Lavande & Sunbeam!

You're right NoSugar, the timing of my quit was good. Thankful to be able to help my folks during this difficult phase in their lives. How would i have driven the car the hour each way to visit them, let alone offered the emotional and physical support they need?!

My life and my appreciation of it have deepened since my quit.

see you soon..
        love Steady
        AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

A belated welcome Steady. I'm with you on your thoughts re the nest. I tend to be invisible. Folks latch on to kindred souls (as it should be) and with the steady hands (no pun intended) of our senior members I often find that I don't have much more to add. Look forward to whooping it up with the rest of this crowd when you and little Beagle hit 365. I have until the end of July for my own celebration.
          Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Byrdie, I have winter aconite and snowdrops in bloom, as well as buds on the crocus. Slow progress is being made toward spring.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

hey Steadfast
              welcome aboard, glad you're here. Looks like your one year is quickly approaching!
              Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Sam, we have a bunch of one year'er's coming up, yourself included. After we get finished with Lav's on the 26th, we'll start the planning!

I will put a good word in for you all with my meteorologist!! Here in NC, he says it's safe to plant after April 10th! You guys might be jumping the gun a little, your stuff might get nipped! I'm one to talk, I do that every year!

Steady, GREAT to see you!!
                TJAF, you aren't invisible! Some days I pour my heart and soul into a post and it just gets absorbed (I always assume it gets skipped, you know how we are). But if you just keep talking, someone will relate to it and respond! Volume is the key!!! :H EVERY post matters! If it doesn't help someone (and I'm POSITIVE it does) then it at least helps you by getting it out on paper. That's my take anyways. I'm just glad you are here!

Nice day today, got out and did my walk! I tried on some shorts (or stubbies, as the upside down people call them) and I couldn't button them! I refuse to go UP in girth! I'm on death week (again). Hugs to all, Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

I agree, Byrdie. For example, Pinecone helped me enormously with his calm, thoughtful posts. I didn't always have something to say back to him (as it turns out he is - I thought he was an extremely nice older woman :H:H:H) but I sure appreciated what he wrote. I think when we're new and struggling to get by day to day, it doesn't even occur to us that these "old pros" need a little encouragement, too. I think it is worth all of us putting ourselves out there. Someone who doesn't know what in the heck I'm talking about may be able to understand essentially the same message (because aren't we pretty much saying the same thing over and over???) when presented in your words, TJ. Keep posting!! :h NS

Comment

jane27;1639598 wrote: I can't believe Pinecone is a dude.
                    Whoops. Not supposed to be here. See youse in 28 days.
                    :H:H:H
                    Where is Pinecone, anyway???
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

jane27;1639598 wrote: I can't believe Pinecone is a dude.
                      Whoops. Not supposed to be here. See youse in 28 days.
                      I can't explain why I thought Pinecone was female without contributing to some unappealing and very unfair male stereotypes. Turns out he is a really sensitive and thoughtful guy.

Actually, most men here aren't stereotypical men - they all were willing to admit they needed help finding their way out !

Comment

Hi Friends, here I am!

Haha Jane, I haven't been a dude since college (If I was one then at all...:H). I'm excited for your 100 day anniversary, I'm sure you are too!

TJAF and Steady, boy I can sure relate to your feelings about posting. I have always struggled with hesitancy to post (I've backed out of probably three times the number of posts that I've made here). When I read some of the true heavy hitters here (Lav, Byrdie, NoSugar) I know there is no way I can put it as well as they do, so I tend to shut up. To read that my posts once meant something to someone really tickles me and I know that I need to get over it and just put it out there. Every once in a while I read an iteration of an idea that we never know who our posts might be reaching and what effect it might have on them. That is a powerful thought to me.

NS, thank you for the kind words, you know I don't deserve it! Maybe I'm channelling my inner nice, older woman. I do have a hobby where I play with yarn (made some nice warm winter hats), and I love my tea and book in the afternoon. You make an interesting point about people on this site. I think there are some amazing atypical people on this site. I guess we kind of have to be swimming against the current to attempt something crazy like quitting drinking and shove off into AF life, learning the ropes as we go.

Sorry to have been quiet, this is maybe the third time since the beginning of January that I've sat down to the computer. I do read daily from my phone but posting is kind of a pain from that. AF life has been very good to me lately, just busy with the puppy and toddler.
                        I am still very much in awe of sobriety. I'll try to be a better poster!
                        "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                        AF 11/12/11

Comment

Hey Pinecone - you're not an old lady until you've mastered the art of the afternoon granny nap :H:H
                          On a serious note, it is nice to hear from you once again & glad you are doing well. Toddler & puppy care is time consuming, for sure
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Byrdie you touched on something close to me. Social skills. I used to drink to get loose, but that led to bring hammered. I still have anxiety when I have to be social. I hate having to be "on"

Like pinecone I'm on the phone so I'll make it brief!
                            Newbies Nest
                            Toolbox
                            My accountability thread

Comment

Hi, Everyone!

Pinecone - glad you stopped by. Interesting you're a dude - this online forum is great for gender bending and stereotype busting. I love your posts and think that people would appreciate it if you hit reply instead of delete. I often feel that I've written a gem and it gets breezed over - especially since I am on the west coast of the US - the Aussies are up and out to work by the time I post and everyone else is asleep. I do know that when I started (and frankly, now, too) how excited I would get when a pro would respond directly to me - it felt very supportive and like someone was recognizing ME.

3J - I was talking to a friend about my drinking and I said "I found that I was using alcohol because I was anxious in social situations and wanted to get loose." He said, "isn't that why we ALL use it?" Really - it is such a fast-acting drug for that (short lasting and with terrible side effects, mind you).

Anyway - Good night. From the lonely west coast. K9? Where are you??

Comment

Hi all - decided to write something quick today to mark my 150 days time goes really fast and I am very thankful for help you providing g me here. Life is totally changed and I am totally enjoying every moment if it.
                                AF since 10/20/2013
                                Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                                Meat free since 09/20/2008
                                ---------------------------------------
                                With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Working...
                                X