Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Hi, Everyone:

Welcome, Rahul. As NS says, I did go through a flat period - from about 4.5 to 6.5 months. Very blah, going through the sober motions, feeling mad and sorry for myself. I, too, am afraid of relapse. For that reason, I have read a TON on avoiding it and have found a couple of things. One, it is very common to go through a flat period when we all seem to have. The initial euphoria is gone, and the brain isn't fully healed, so things can be sort of meh. That is the time when it is important to focus on sobriety even if it just feels like going through the motions. As Sam says, focus on your sobriety every day! I listened to the Bubble Hour podcast on Relapse Prevention - a lot of good information and ideas. They had guests who were sober for 5 and 15 years before they relapsed, and both said it was complacency that did them in. Thinking they were "cured" they stepped away from their sober supports, and both wound up drinking again. That's why I log on here to check in every day I can - even if I can't or don't post, I read. And the good news is - today I have logged 7 months sober, and I am feeling much better. I am beginning to feel like not drinking is my "normal" now. Pretty cool.

MyLuck - never tired of your hot yoga. Did you see this Craig's list ad for a used yoga mat - hilarious.

On with my day - a lot of cleaning and organizing which I really like to have done. Not so much the doing, but I'll put on some good music and channel Ava.

Pav

Comment

Hi, Everyone:

Welcome, Rahul. As NS says, I did go through a flat period - from about 4.5 to 6.5 months. Very blah, going through the sober motions, feeling mad and sorry for myself. I, too, am afraid of relapse. For that reason, I have read a TON on avoiding it and have found a couple of things. One, it is very common to go through a flat period when we all seem to have. The initial euphoria is gone, and the brain isn't fully healed, so things can be sort of meh. That is the time when it is important to focus on sobriety even if it just feels like going through the motions. As Sam says, focus on your sobriety every day! I listened to the Bubble Hour podcast on Relapse Prevention - a lot of good information and ideas. They had guests who were sober for 5 and 15 years before they relapsed, and both said it was complacency that did them in. Thinking they were "cured" they stepped away from their sober supports, and both wound up drinking again. That's why I log on here to check in every day I can - even if I can't or don't post, I read. And the good news is - today I have logged 7 months sober, and I am feeling much better. I am beginning to feel like not drinking is my "normal" now. Pretty cool.

MyLuck - never tired of your hot yoga. Did you see this Craig's list ad for a used yoga mat - hilarious.

On with my day - a lot of cleaning and organizing which I really like to have done. Not so much the doing, but I'll put on some good music and channel Ava.

Pav

Comment

Pavati, 7 months is absolutely brilliant!
        You are on Fi-yah!!
        nfire:

In my 4 plus years on this site, I see complacency as the #1 cause for relapse along with just plain old getting lazy about it. What we are doing is NOT NORMAL in our society. Frequently, I am the only nondrinker at a function I go to. After a period of time, it would be REALLY easy to think that just one every now and then won't hurt anything, especially since I've been so long without it. That's where keeping in touch with new people comes in and that's why I stay in the NN. I never want to forget how it was when I flew in here. The old timers would come in and say how great being sober was, but they didn't bother to tell me HOW to do it. Lav did the heavy lifting there. I don't think there's a better way to protect your quit than to help someone else do it. You know how we alkies are, we tend to forget the bad stuff and only remember the good. I associate only BAD things with me and AL. It is a toxic mix. It is 1000 times easier to maintain a quit than to start over. This time, I'm taking the easy way.... Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Well done, YOU, Pavati!!!!

I was in a bit of a slump around 6-7 months, but I'm well out of that and busy and focused right now. I agree, inching away from the sober support is a dangerous thing. I'm keeping as close as I can to the 3 AA meetings in the area that I go to - not every one every week right now, just 'cause summer is so darn busy... but at least one a week.
          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Pavati - OMG - thank you off sharing this yoga funny!!!! It was so funny I cried. Really appreciate it.
            AF since 10/20/2013
            Smoke free since 09/24/2007
            Meat free since 09/20/2008
            ---------------------------------------
            With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Hi folks -- I hit 100 days yesterday, so may I join you? Thanks, by the way, to several of you here (Byrdie, Pav, Frances, NS and others) who sent happy congrats my direction. That was very cool and meant a lot to me. I'm very grateful for this site and everyone on it.

Cheers,
              Peppersnow
              Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

I'm off to visit Massachusetts , we have family there. We will see James Taylor live at Tanglewood on the 4th. Happy Holiday to everyone.

Congrats on your great achievement, Peppersnow. Welcome to this group.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

wow... wonderful milestones all over the place...
                  congrats Pepper!!! glad to see you here
                  Pav... congrats on your continuing kicking it!!!

Sun, enjoy James Taylor, one of my favs.
                  Sam
                  Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Peppersnow, get on in here!
                    Welcome to the thread where the day to day struggles have mostly passed! It is, indeed, a maintenance situation now! I am so stinking proud of all of us in this thread! We are proof positive that it CAN be done!!!

Sunny, so good to see you and know you are thriving!
                    MyLuck, I love your yoga stories, it feels good to have passion about something again, doesn't it?

Hugs all, Byrdie
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Welcome pepper ! Like u I am also new here ...

After climbing here I don't intend to fall back again ever ! Thanks all for sharing and posting your experiences when you were flat. Pavati, I don't know whether I am in the "dangerous" flat moment or not but it's good to keep my keep my guard on and watch out.

Today I was showing my kids some old videos when they were born, and were like new born. I saw myself playing with kids and was thinking I was either drunk at that time or was hung over ... Make me feel sick and I felt how much entrapped i was at that time. I was there physically but not there mentally when my kids were at tender age. Regrets but there is more in life and much more yet to come.

Take care ...
                      Rahul
                      --------------------------------------------
                      Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                      Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                      Rebooting ... done ...
                      Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Welcome pepper! Good yo have more people here. I hope you all have a great 4 th of July. Like Little Beagle told me today in her e-mail - "I am celebrating freedom from a Alcohol today'". - that among other things. Love it!
                        AF since 10/20/2013
                        Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                        Meat free since 09/20/2008
                        ---------------------------------------
                        With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

I wonder if you guys can share what all u did on 4th of July !

For me here in India I went usual to work .... For us the equivalent day is 15 August.
                          Rahul
                          --------------------------------------------
                          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                          Rebooting ... done ...
                          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Welcome peppersnow - Congrats on your 100 AF days

Sunbeam. James Taylor is my fav - have seen him live a couple of times in Philly

Rahul, just got power back on after nearly 24 hours - big storm yesterday.
                            Just waiting for my daughter-in-law & grandsons to arrive. We will be grilling hamburgers with all the fixings & will enjoy a local fireworks show right from my backyard - Fun
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy 4th, everyone!
                              Rahul, 24 hours ago, we had a hurricane! Today has been gorgeous! We cleaned up some debris in the yard, participated in the neighborhood parade around the block, and I met a member of MWO ( Ann Carolina) for lunch and shopping in downtown Wilmington. She and her daughter came in for the weekend. It was great to see her! She is doing well! Tonight, we are heading to a neighbor 's for a weenee roast and then walk down to the beach for fireworks! I was thinking today that in years past, I was already loaded during our neighborhood parade (it is always at 10 am). By this time of day, I would have been making excuses not to go to the weenee roast...so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. I wouldn't have been driving today either. What a self imposed prison I was in.
                              Independence Day indeed!! I am so glad I'm sober!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs 100 Dayers!!! Byrdie
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

MAE everyone,

Happy July 4th to those in the US. I like the new (MWO) meaning of "Independence Day." So true that we're now free from that burden that brought us here. And it's wonderful to be able to share our trials and triumphs with each other.

Freezing here in Melbourne, Aust, as Ava pointed out recently. Great to be enjoying hot cuppas rather than cold Al !

Stay cool / warm / comfortable, depending on what part of the world you're in.

love,
                                Steady
                                AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X