100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Byrdlady;1456684 wrote: Sunbeam, what a interesting topic for an ALK site!!! It's a tough label to swallow...I don't know that I've ever uttered the words in real life, just on here...Like everyone said, it has a big stigma still...hells bells, even I think like that when I hear someone's an ALK, how messed up is that???
    We are Non Drinkers.

You know, when the idea for this thread came along I worried that our Newbie's, and even some of the Oldbies might be put off by it... Who do they think THEY are?? But I'll tell you, in the 2 weeks it's been up, we've gotten some really good insight!! I hope the Newbie's aren't put off at all...in fact I hope they are reading and will be able to SEE into the future and just how much better that future can be without the overglazing of AL!! I thought this might be a place to just blow off steam...but gosh it has stregthened my AF Resolve even more! It is a thrill just to be happy again!!! And even more of a thrill not to be struggling along because of AL...it's just NOT an option! And I see that's the mindset of you all as well!! If the thread fizzles tomorrow, it's been worth it to get this reinforcement!! I wonder what our comibned sober time here is on this thread? 50 years?? Maybe more! Thank you for being on this journey with me! Byrdie
    The interest indicated by the views would confirm this, Byrdie.

It is VERY important that people realise there is an end to the battle and it really isn't very long.
    100 days sober was enough for me to feel confident in my sobriety, even if I must still work on my new life.

What is truly amazing is our fantastic bodies........mine took 23 years of abuse and could undo the majority of the damage in three months.

Comment

The lifelong part of alcohol addiction is that I feel I will never stop learning about it. All of the thoughts posted here are so personal and thoughtful. What an opportunity for awareness that could never exist in a face to face conversation. Thank you everyone for enriching my life.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Byrdlady;1456684 wrote: Sunbeam, what a interesting topic for an ALK site!!! It's a tough label to swallow...I don't know that I've ever uttered the words in real life, just on here...Like everyone said, it has a big stigma still...hells bells, even I think like that when I hear someone's an ALK, how messed up is that???
        We are Non Drinkers.

You know, when the idea for this thread came along I worried that our Newbie's, and even some of the Oldbies might be put off by it... Who do they think THEY are?? But I'll tell you, in the 2 weeks it's been up, we've gotten some really good insight!! I hope the Newbie's aren't put off at all...in fact I hope they are reading and will be able to SEE into the future and just how much better that future can be without the overglazing of AL!! I thought this might be a place to just blow off steam...but gosh it has stregthened my AF Resolve even more! It is a thrill just to be happy again!!! And even more of a thrill not to be struggling along because of AL...it's just NOT an option! And I see that's the mindset of you all as well!! If the thread fizzles tomorrow, it's been worth it to get this reinforcement!! I wonder what our comibned sober time here is on this thread? 50 years?? Maybe more! Thank you for being on this journey with me! Byrdie
        Sorry to butt in (will post in earnest in 35 days :H) but, as with Kuya's reply already Byrdie - I ALWAYS make a point of reading this thread. It is INCREDIBLY hopeful and hope-filled for everyone on their journey.

*scuttles off before he's caught in the big peeps den* :H:H

Comment

kuya;1456850 wrote: I agree Cat, and I personally disagree with the term 'recovering' which implies that you are still not a 'normal' person. And worse, according to the recovery industry, we never will be.
          Agreed. I hate the words "alcoholic" and "recovery," and I don't believe I have a disease. I had an addiction. I didn't have a disease when I was hooked on cigarettes and i don't have one now either.

Comment

Whatever I have...I like to believe it's in remission...and will stay there, unless I CHOOSE to bring it out. Doesn't that seem crazy to consider? Why would you choose to bring a disease back to life?? Well duh, if we knew that one we wouldn't be here!

Sunbeam, I agree, who could be this honest face to face? I have gained so much insight from reading here...just these past 2 weeks!

RC, I see you! I'm so glad to hear that you follow this thread and will be posting with brazen impunity in 35 days!!! XO, B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Cat, FlyAway, Kuya, Sunbeam - we all agree

RC, behave yourself or I'll let Stella loose on you :H
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Pretty sure I have heard people calling me addict ...or was it a dick??:H:H:H:H:H
                af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Mick;1456963 wrote: Pretty sure I have heard people calling me addict ...or was it a dick??:H:H:H:H:H
                  :H. Ummmmmm

Comment

We will never (and don't want to) know!
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

That was another thread wasn't it?? The X Rated one?? It's ALL about MICK...there's a limeRICK in there...see? The rhymes are just THERE!! I'm not gonna do it! eheheheh.. b
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Kuya...you were very noticeable in your failure to disagree with the statement

Yes byrdie ,youre right this time,
                        those words yep..they surely rhyme,
                        But going down that road aint so good,
                        That limerick may end up oh so rude !! :H:H
                        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Now, dear Mick, 'twas you that stated,
                          That folks might have called you a dick,
                          And I won't make this rhyme more x-rated,
                          By adding my thoughts to the mix.

For a kinder bloke there was never,
                          And his jokes they were loved by us all,
                          And his humour survives any weather,
                          He's not a dick, but he's having a ball.

Comment

:H:H:H

Yall two! What treasures you are!!! XO, Byrdie
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

This is really a great and timely topic. I've sure been thinking about this quite a bit lately trying to articulate my feelings about my addicted years. It's been great to read everyone's thoughtful replies. Thanks for bringing this up, Sunbeam.

I have always been a strong proponent of describing the consequences of drinking in my life (i.e. it was addicting) as opposed to defining myself by these consequences (i.e. alcoholic, addict, drunk etc.)

And then there is the concept of 'NORMAL' that gets bandied about in forums like this and in the brains of those who are addicted - at least to alcohol. I've never heard anyone lament that they wish they could have one or two fixes of heroin like 'normal' people.

So....you know what I call myself now?

I call myself.....healthy.

I am normal.

Drinking is not normal. WHY does anyone think it is acceptable to put a toxin in their body? Why is it such a surprise to any of us when those toxins create havoc in every system from our brain to our toes?

I am thrilled to be normal. It is an honor to be amongst others who have fought their way back to normal. And, like all of you, I am not about to go back to destroying myself for the sake of putting a toxin down my throat to make my head feel buzzy and fuzzy. This isn't a life-long battle. It is life. The way it is supposed to be. I am so excited to be...normal and healthy.....and....at peace.
                              Sober for the Revolution!
                              AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Well put, Turnagain! That's the kind of thinking I love to hear. It takes so long to forgive ourselves for all of our abuse to our bodies and souls, as well as friends and family. I think positive labels are part of that self-forgiveness.

Comment

Working...
                                X