X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The drugstore sells liquor now?
    Omg, not good.
    Glad you ran for the hills.
    Kensho I am sooo happy you got to the 100 mark, life really starts making more sense around this time. At least it did for me. Yes, husbands are influential and I am entirely new at this marriage game ( and not sure I am so good at it either).

At least we start to deal with life sober, much easier than the alternative I would say. ��

Originally posted by Cherokeer View Post
    Hello Everyone, I had the craziest experience today. For starters, I have been super stressed, in pain, and worried. So I am in the drug store today and I literally heard a voice in my head saying "just buy some wine, you can drink it before anyone gets home, you can forget the pain and worry, no one will ever know". I felt like for a second like reaching out for it. Then I yelled at myself (in my head) to get the f**k out of here now! I did, pronto. That truly was the first time in 10 months I was even seriously tempted. It's like the devil himself was trying to make me cave. Damn, for all my hubris I feel afraid and not as sure as I did, the temptation was so incredibly strong.
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Depends on where you live Eloise!
      The state I live in still requires you to go to a liquor store. No wine or alcohol sold in grocery or drug stores here. Just as well I think!

Chero, the 'voice' will all but disappear in time. Right now it's an automatic learned behavior to a trigger. As you learn new & healthier ways to deal with stress, the old 'voice' will fade - promise
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Alcohol is also only available in liquor stores in my state, plus beer in grocery stores. Never slowed me down in my past, doesn't matter now. I'm not drinking!
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Happy Sunday!
          Kens, Can you imagine the Spa Treatments I could have for $14,000? I was about $10 a day, hard to fathom that kind of savings. Also to imagine my poor liver not being marinated in AL 6 hours a day. It gets better from here, too. The feeling of clarity and simplicity is priceless.
          Yep, those thoughts come in every now and then, I just tell them to get the hell out!
          Happy Sunday! Byrdie.
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Stella wants to wear her party hat today & I said OK
            6 years of AFreedom to celebrate today, yay!!!

AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Congrats Lav!

AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Hey - I found this thread - you would think after 100 days I would know my way around - my excuse is I am on my cell phone.

LAV and Stella - what a fantastic day for you!!!!
                Congrats again

Comment

Hey, Steady doing a quick check-in!

Busy and challenging time the past few months; both parents now in aged care home, and not liking it one bit. Very sad. Pleased, however, that I'm doing my best - the AF way! I really would be in a mess if I was still drinking. Sobriety means I can cope!

Now, a huge CONGRATULATIONS to Lavande on Six Years AF! Lavande, you were one of the people I remember from my early days at MWO. You give of yourself in such a warm, no-nonsense way, with a lovely sense of humour. All the very best to you!

Will check in again over the weekend.

love,
                  Steady
                  AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

lovely to see you Steady and checking in. I was worried there for awhile but knew you were one of the strong ones.
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks everyone, I sure had a nice day yesterday

Steady, good to see you!
                      I can just imagine what you are going thru with your parents. I have been thru all that myself. Just remind yourself that they are being cared for & they are both safe :hug:

BG, glad you found the thread - welcome!
                      It's not easy maneuvering on a phone - good for you

Have a great AF day everyone!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Steady, GREAT to see you!!! I'm so proud that you have remained AF!!! Given the alternative, it's the ONLY way to fly! My heart goes out to you with your parents...that is a tough position to be in and emotionally draining. Hugs dear lady!!!

Beach, you gotta get out more!! Welcome!! XXOO, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have been a bit irregular here on this site and have not been posting much but have been going well. No drinking thoughts.

I was in Thailand for a vacation it was just what I needed. Spending time with the kids and wife. Just relaxing. My son first experienced go karting and he absolutely loved it ! it was the best thing he ever did in his 5 year old life ! It is so lovely to see their tender excitements, which I know I would never have witnessed if I would have been drinking. I can imagine myself slipping to the bar or to local eleven store trying to satisfy my never ending thirst !! But here I was completely free ... there is no such feeling like that.

I also had to entertain a visitor from Srilanka who came to visit us. He likes to drink and seeing him drinking I did realize ... I am so past that phase. I just done want it ... absolutely no attraction. And I feel so glad.

I always rememeber this site which has given me a new life !
                          Rahul
                          --------------------------------------------
                          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                          Rebooting ... done ...
                          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Heya folks... checking in with a big Friday night headache.
                            Trying to spend a bit more time on MWO as I feel things might get tricky for me in the coming days, weeks, months?

On track and plan to fight to stay there!
                            (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

It's great that you're recognizing that your thoughts have changed a little and that you need to stay aware, El. Maybe put a little extra time and effort into noticing what is better about your life now, thinking about it, and being grateful for it. Keeping your sober connections active is also a good call, I think.

I just returned from a multi-course fancy dinner with work colleagues. I enjoyed my food and was really glad not to be part of the wine scene. In fact, it didn't even smell good to me and I know it was $$$ stuff. Two years ago I was with the same group in the same place and ended up texting Byrdie from a bathroom stall when they gave me all kinds of grief for not participating in a toast. Just that little connection made me not feel so alone in what I was trying to do - and those connections continue to keep it alive.

Hi, Rahul! So glad you're enjoying the sober life!

Comment

Congrats Lava on 6 years! Amazing!!

Comment

Working...
                                X