Clear All

100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

NS - hang on our coattails - you'll be fine
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav, I've figured that part out, thank goodness. And I don't plan to drink on Thanksgiving, Christmas, NYE, or any other day so we can have a conversation .

Comment

Yes, 'special' occasions and drinking is a tough one. Although my drinking over the years went from 'special' occasions to any day that ends in a Y (a little AA humor). Holidays are always hard. I'm already making strategies of how to deal with the family on Thanksgiving. This year we have a cousin who moved close by (Denver, CO) a few months ago who will be there. Her and her boyfriend, my brother, Mom, Dad all drink. My brother said something about all the kids (cousins and him) driving to the parent's house together, good thing is I know by now I'll need my own transportation and the ability to leave when I need to leave.

Lately my Mom and Brother decided to remind me of what an idiot I was when I drank (as if they aren't idiots themselves when they drink), ahh.....the Holidays, gotta love 'em, let the family b.s. begin.

This seems like a good thread I'll stick around.
        Soberity Date - 7/11/11

Comment

Sammy. My family is nuts! I have thr least problems and im a flipping ALKIE! Be sure to check out the -/$@?!:;$"' thread if you need to blow off some steam! Im visiting my brother this week since he and my sister aren't speaking and we are having separate thanksgivings. Half of my family isnt speaking to the other half. Its insane. Life is so short i hate to see our family so fractured. We will all lean on each other here!! Hugs. byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

I can't remember the last Christmas I can remember! Does that make sense? And I typically host Christmas dinner and by midday I was toast. The day was a complete fog. Not this year though. And my sis in law who hosts thanksgiving has already asked what to have on hand for me. So nice of her to already be thinking of my af needs. I was planning on bringing my own pellegrino or Perrier and limes already cut up but no need now.
            In years past I do remember trying to figure out who was the least drunk to drive my mom home. That'll be my honor this year! Yep our holidays have been pretty much drunk-fests. Gonna be an eye-opener this year!

Comment

I am personally looking forward to an af Thanksgiving. Being truly thankful for mwo and my friends here who have helped me so much.
              Thanks all.
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Very well put LB. I, too, am very grateful.
                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Byrdie, my oldest brother has never let go of his anger toward me since our dad died in 1987. His issue is Dad named me executor, not him. Hey, Dad's dead, been dead awhile, I can't change this.

Sanchez, it is great you have your sister's support. In so many situations posted here the family is not.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sunbeam
                    families can be so strange, I had a falling out with one of my siblings, we don't talk either. I was accused of stealing from the family corporation. Funny thing was my dad warned me about him.
                    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

My three brothers were always too busy to bother talking to me - self-indulgent fellas.
                      My oldest brother was removed as executor of my parent's will & I was put in place. They didn't know about that until my Dad passed away in 1998. Needless to say none of them were pleased although I handled everything honestly & fairly. Screw them I say! OH WELL :H :H
                      I consider myself an only child now :H
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

"I got invited to a wine tasting tomorrow night, can you imagine? Not going. The irony in our lives...Who'da ever thought I'd be on an ALK site giving advice on how to quit drinking????? Life is full of twists and turns....B"
                        Byrdie- this makes me laugh. I feel exactly the same. I am posting in here and am not long term yet but will be one day. AF since Nov 1, 2013.
                        It is soo cool. I love my new lease on life. Drink free! Yippee!
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Yeah, families will drive you nuts.
                          I guess overall mine isn't too terrible, I'm still learning how to set and keep boundaries with them. The theme the last few days from the meetings I've been to, and a therapy session is what to do when your side of the street is clean, and people keep dumping garbage onto it. Or getting in your lane on the highway, which somebody did to me last night.

When I first quit I thought it would be so much easier if everybody else in the world would quit too, probably I was right, but they didn't quit too (jerks). However, it does help if one can spend some time around other people who are trying to walk the sober path too.
                          Soberity Date - 7/11/11

Comment

Things are awfully quiet in the chicken house today.
                            I think that's because the mini rooster moved out yesterday with the older girls - he was getting very loud :H :H
                            My new hens are calm & peaceful today just the way I like it too

What are all the long termers up to this week??
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Im cooking my turkey breasts to take to our Thanksgiving potluck at mu nieces. Its been really stressful at work these past few weeks, so glad to be sober and not longing for booze!! Miracles CAN happen. Id have never thought this peace of mind was possible. Hallelooya!
                              Im so grateful for my wonderful, simple life. Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

NoSugar
                                see you've got 300 + days behind you. A very big congrats!!
                                Sam
                                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Working...
                                X