14 MONTHS AF!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Hi Sujul...fantastic and inspirational story.....I am a committed catholic and i have struggled with this booxe weakness as i know its not how God wants me to live.

I have made changes and feel so much more at peace..no weekday boozing and only drink when out with hubby and friends for a meal in moderation(i still have to plan ahead though)
    joined a prayer group, sought help via sacrament of reconciliation etc .life is so much better right now BUT i know its a lifelong quest to keep the changes going for me!!!

i met some amercan monks(franciscans of the renewal)whilst at a Eucharastic congress in the UK ..amazing guys who had been ex drug addicts/ alcoholics etc for years but turned to God.

i realised over the last few years that drinking heavily was damaging me and my relationship with God so hence i came on this site, got support from a close fried, shared with my priest, read lots on alcoholism and spirituality.
    This site and those other support net works along with the faith to believe change is possible have inspired me that change is possible for everybody.

What order have you joined? is it christian??...hjust beinbg curious but understand if you would rather not discuss it!!

Well done and good look with your vocation

Regards Cassy

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Thanks Biker--I just shudder to my core when I remember those awful, awful days...and whenever I am even vaguely tempted to try having "just one"--I remember the unbelievable despair and hopelessness I felt then....honestly, if I were to have a drink at this point, I would deserve whatever I got....

You know, I don't think it matters what belief system one has (and I accept that both agnosticism and atheism, as well as the diversity of religious traditions are all belief systems), we all know that we are not meant to destroy our lives and our spirits in this way!

Cassy, I definitely think there is a spiritual component to our decision to change our lives--after all, at the heart of any spiritual path is the hope of transformation! I am moved to hear of your experience of reconciliation and I would very much like to hear more about it.

And I'm happy to share more about my vocation (which is as a liberal and progressive Protestant minister) but maybe we should move that discussion to either "what we believe" or we can pm...

I know that there are so many mixed feelings about religion and so much conflict, that I want to make it clear that I respect any path--religious or not--that affirms the basic Golden Rule of treating others as we wish to be treated.....

Thanks again, everyone, for all your support and encouragement--it makes all the difference!

susan
      "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

ah susan. i'm going to print this up and put it right on my wall in front of me, next to a drawing i'm going to do today of what i want my life to look like a year from now. i too had 10 years sober and then decided to now drink for the last 6 years. and i'm so so inspired by your story. tis a reminder to me that all things in god's eyes are possible. thank you so much for posting. thank you for allowing us to glow in your glow and in your achievements and one day at a time accomplishments. there for the grace. so beautiful. so so yummy
        :welcome:

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Hi Sujul
          I wish you well in your ministry and i know the path you have walked with addiction and the eventual changes you made in your life will inspire so many.

i have learnt so much from people along the way who shared their struggles with me and showed me how to have the discipline of daily prayer in my life.
          I,ve always had a faith(cradle catholic) but now i am trying to live it rather than theorise it!!!

Your story has inspired so many people on here and again it reinforces to me that no situation is HOPELESS..change is always possible through the power of prayer.

Maybe your vocation is a way to share this message to those who cross your path who are struggling with their addictions and are despairing. i,m sure glad some inspirational people have touched my life and that along with faith give me hope.

i have along way to go on this change process but i do enjoy measuring the baby steps adding up to BIG STRIDES.

Take care and good luck in all you do....Regards Cassy

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Dear Susan,
            Congratulations! on giving up drinking and on chasing and catching your dream. I have about the same sober time up and can honestly say it does it get better, one day at a time, one dream at a time. The anxiety, depression, hopeless have gone. I still get 'itchy' days when nothing seems exactly wrong, but not right either but these days pass and are getting fewer. I wake up happy not hungover and life feels easier, and simpler. I used to think I would be bored, what would I do with my time, how do I fill an evening let alone a whole weekend. I hear newcomers say that now and I smile because I felt that but now I am spoilt for choice. I can get in the car and drive whenever, whatever time I want. I am no longer a captive in my home after 6pm because I dare not drive when I've been drinking. I can ring people, answer the phone, the door and not feel ashamed or feel I never to cover up the fact that I am either drunk or on my way. I love life, Loopy

Comment

Working...
            X