X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 20/10/08

DeeBee;451357 wrote:
    Hi Eve, how you doing today?
    Hi DeeBee, I'm good. Going to a charity event tonight to support animals that have lost their homes due to foreclosure. My goal is no more than 2!
    Wanted to share that so I can be strong tonight. Blessings to everyone and have a "good" week-end!
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Evie, I love that joke!

Vera, Congrats on 27 years! You do deserve a noddy badge:-)

I was reading this, this morning and thought of everyone at MWO.... but especially the Mod Squad and those of us who have felt challenged this week.

Happy weekend!

Traveling Companions
      Birds fly in a V

As they swoop, drift, and glide, inscribing magnificent patterns across the sky, birds are serene displays of grace and beauty. Long a source of inspiration, birds can be messengers from the spirit realm, or a symbol of the human soul, as they cast off their earthly mooring and soar heavenward. An upturned wing, a graceful flutter, all so effortless and free... More magnificent still is the inspiring sight of birds migrating, progressing steadily across the horizon in a solid V formation that is a singular pattern too unique to be mere chance.

Pushing steadily forward, this aerodynamic V reduces air resistance for the whole flock. With wings moving in harmony, the feathered group continues its course across the sky, covering more ground together in community than as individuals. When the bird at the front gets tired, she will move to the rear of the formation where the wind drag is lowest, and a more rested bird can take her place.

By learning from the example of our winged guides, all of us can feel empowered to take on daring challenges as we chart adventurous courses. Feel the strength of others moving alongside you, as their presence lends power to your wings during this journey across the sky of life. When buffeted by unexpected gusts, we can choose to find refuge in the loving shelter of friends and family. We may even marvel as an otherwise difficult day passes by like a swift wind, as a kindred spirit charts a way for us through the clouds and rain ahead. If your wings begin to ache on your journey, look around for somebody else to fly at the front for a while. All of us move faster when we move together. Let your ego drop earthwards as we all soar ever higher.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hey friends,
        Went to the fundraiser tonight. They had two drink tickets per person for the entry fee and that was perfect wasn't it? So, if I wanted to go over my limit I had to Really think about it...pull out money and pay for that third one.

Was just interesting to drink slow, savor the wine, observe folks and think about the drinking. Did I really need that third? For me, (just how I handle liquor) that 3rd would have put me over the edge. I
        would have a hangover the next day, could possibly slur my words, would just generally lose my power because I get too slushy with 3 and I know it. So, it was just so easy to ask for a bottled water and then have another water. And as we stood playing blackjack (not real money - a charity deal) it was so nice to be talking to folks late evening and to be SO in control. When we got home and woke the boys from the couch my oldest looked at me wondering if I was drunk. If you remember, it was only this Sept. that he cried and was so upset about my behavior with drinking. You could see the relief on his face that I was in total control. After all, I had had my 2nd and last drink about an hour and a half earlier so there was no way I wasn't handling myself appropriately.
        So, with modding I got what I wanted. A nice wine with dinner, a nice glass of wine following dinner, a nice little buzz and then an appropriate quitting time with switching to water. Tonight...it's all good!

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

WELL DONE EVIE!!!

You were in control and handled it like a pro! So damned chuffed for you - I love reading posts like your's.... re-inforces my belief that I too can do it!

Hope you are going to treat yourself with something lovely this weekend, maybe a bouquet of flowers, or a box of choccies. I am a firm believer in rewarding ourselves when we do good... it's just too easy to always be putting ourselves down.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi Squaddies. Reward is key deebers. I rewarded myself with an Iphone and it feels good to do something for ourselves.
            I am at the seaside this weekend relaxing and having a lovely time. Have a lovely day all of you x
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Ha, thought I remembered you were away this weekend!

Hubby is in China at the mo and he's shopping for an iPhone, but I don't think it works out cheaper, so might have to hang on for a while until the exchange rate gets better.

Comment

Not cheap deebers but for me, worth its weight in gold. Wherever I am I am just a click away from MWO!
                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Morning Squadron! My Russian borsch and film evening went well. It was good fun, even attempted to give a friend a balalaika lesson. Was gutted when everyone had to go home. And a first AF Friday since 26th Sept.
                  Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Congrats Eve on a successful evening including alcohol with you in charge, not AL.

Vera-b, Happy Anniversary! We will celebrate year #28 in December.

Everyone, I also had a successful evening which happened to include alcohol. I went with a friend to a performance, then we shared a bottle of wine at my house. It was just so pleasant becasue I was not thinking at all about the wine, just relaxing with my friend. I found myself just taking sips; her glass was empty and mine was still half full! Finally, I think this is becoming more automatic with me. When I think about how much I will drink or how much I am drinking, it feels like I want to drink more.

Yesterday afternoon I was thinking about those moderate alcohol rules, and how they work for people. Personally, I just have one big fat rule: don't drink too much. The rules others have adopted are helpful guidelines for me, but I hate the anguish they cause when the person isn't really drinking too much. So while I have gone beyond some rules which I think are very wise, I have not had too much to drink since mid-August. I am continuing to meet my goal of drinking less each month. I met my goal last weekend for having an AF weekend. I have for the first time drank moderately without thinking about it. And I have made huge progress since joining here in January. For me, it is much more about meeting goals than following rules. I want moderate drinking to become automatic, and I think that is happening.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hey Sunbeam and everyone,
                      It was weird at the charity function as it was buzzing busy...poker tables, silent auction tables, tables where folks were sitting and drinking and socializing. I realized how EASY it would have been to just drink a lot and Too much without even thinking about it (the old days) as it was such a party atmosphere. The old me would have drank fast and would have been buying the extra drinks in a heartbeat.
                      And the old me would definitely have talked hubby into a nightcap after the drive home when we had only had 2 each. But the new me kept thinking about the drinking. Putting it into perspective. Remembering how I would feel the next day because with 3 or more I always feel that way (awful) so why would things be any different.
                      So, as we come here and all discuss modding and when it works and when it doesn't I guess I just have to say that thinking about what I'm doing is helping me to make the right choices.
                      Hope I can keep it up.

Comment

HI all: Great thread. . . just wanted to jump on and say hi.

I've not been posting much lately, but am struggling a bit with keeping within my weekly limits so think checking in here would be good for me. Had drinks 4 nite this week instead of my 3 so it's AF for me tonight, and then figuring how to get back to feeling like 3 nights is just plenty, thank you very much . . . I've wanted to push it to four several times in the last weeks, but felt I've held on by my fingernails.

Maybe time to get the tapes out again? or certainly to check in here more often.

Will be seeing you around!

Ask

PS DeeBee: Loved the description of birds in flight: I do think we are so much stronger united than alone.

Comment

Ask,
                          I gave myself a one night cushion for that week night drink whether it was a business dinner or an evening party like a baby shower on a Thursday or something odd like that. Then last week I had a situation where we had an unexpected business deal celebration as well as something else that happened mid week and it became a 4 day week of AL for me too.

It startled me when I posted it on the drinktracker. Looked so bad I had to take a step back. Thankfully I don't struggle with the drinking at home on week nights but still can't say I would 100% reach my goal if temptations in public came my way.

I'm where you are with that one...still trying to figure that one out and don't feel strong enough in that arena yet.

We'll keep plugging away!
                          Eve11

Comment

Eve11;452306 wrote: Ask,
                            it became a 4 day week of AL for me too.
                            Yikes...just re-read the drinktracker and it had been a 5 day week!
                            That's why I like tracking there - wakes me up and keeps me on my toes~~

Comment

Mine's been a 5 dayer too.
                              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hello and happy Saturday squadron,

Just a quick check in as I am cleaning up the kitchen after our special anniversary dinner (lobster tails, caesar salad and ciabotta rolls). It was so yummy, and daughter #1 was here visiting with us, and that made the occasion very special - though the 27 years was special enough. I feel very blessed at this moment which reminds me that we need to count our "blessings" most times rather than figure out what's wrong with us. Hope ya'll have a great Sunday.

Vera-b

Comment

Working...
                                X