Mod Squad Weekly Thread 27/10/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

goodnight vera - thanks for checking in!

Comment

Hello all
      I am so not musical. People would pay me NOT to sing. Hi St John and welcome.
      Lila - you can get the L-glut anywhere. I got in a local health shop and as I said I swear by it. I have done a lot of thinking the last few months about my own personal drinking tiggers and I think that has been an important part of understanding my personal drinking problem and then being able to mod. I notice that when I have a craving for AL I actually have a kind of chemical taste in my mouth which obviously has something do with the whole biochemistry issue which I am still trying to figure. I also notice that adrenalin is a big AL craving trigger for me - my brain identifies or recognises the adrenalin as a trigger for a drink (probably connected with AL being recognised subliminally as a reward) but it goes away if I eat something or take the L-glut or even just recognising it for what it is helps to cancel the urge out. I think it is very important to figure out when and why we drink to excess so that we can plan against it happening. I do that almost automatically now I look ahead and think through what I could do or have done in the past in such and such a situation and what I need to do to prevent anything from triggering a binge. Even just thinking about it reinforces my desire to be the boss of myself and not be controlled by AL and makes me feel strong and in control. The other thing I do that really helps with modding is that I almost never buy AL for the house now so that there cannot be any random or unplanned drinking. Just wondering if the rest of the modders have similar experiences?
      BH

Comment

boozehag;454841 wrote: I notice that when I have a craving for AL I actually have a kind of chemical taste in my mouth which obviously has something do with the whole biochemistry issue which I am still trying to figure. BH
        Wow boozehag, that's some serious thinking on your part. I get a chemical taste sometimes too but I have never noticed an AL craving in conjunction with it. I'll have to think about that next time.

EvieLou, that's very interesting about the deer and animals. I am going to look up the book you suggested. I am drawn to learning through nature. I believe I have gotten "messages" from plant life many times in my life. Only recently have I become more tuned in to messages from animals. I've even had dreams in the past several years where animals have spoken to me in my dream in an audible voice.

So we have a couple altos, a guitar (maybe 2 if guitarista returns), a balalaika, a flute, I can give a go at saprano (I'm generally more in the alto range myself but can switch it up if it's not too high). Gyco, how about you? Sing or play instruments? We need a drummer or someone to shake a tambourine. Boozehag and DeeBee I guess you'll both just have to "play" the radio. :H :H

I'm gonna try to go back to bed and see if I can get some sleep.

periwinkle
        Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

A cold Wednesday morning here, the snow had fallen and then frozen solid on my car - tough stuff to get off! I'm starting to realise my so-called moderating is beginning to get the better of me. Nothing bad, but I am noticing that even just having 2 beers a day is not good. The last 2 days, I've woken up feeling quite groggy with a headache - again nothing bad because by the time I've showered I feel absolutely fine. I know my body's telling me I need to get more days AF. It's my wedding anniversary this Friday, celebrating 10 years - I really hope I don't screw up - I screwed up both last year and the year before, I am determined this time will be different.

BH & DeeBee - you could be our roadies!!! :H
          Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

boozehag;454841 wrote: Just wondering if the rest of the modders have similar experiences? BH
            The biggest trigger for me is if there is a lot of AL in the house, therefore I don't keep it. Example: I had people coming round for my birthday so I decided I'd buy some booze (big mistake), I bought: 4 beers, a bottle of vodka, a bottle of wine and 4 non-AL J2O's. When my guests arrived, non of them wanted to drink!!! So of course I drank it all myself (although I did share the beer and the wine with hubby). Of course the J2O's went last!!!

Won't be doing that again.
            Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Another trigger is going out with work colleagues when hubby's not around. Upon finishing work once, I went out with colleagues for an hour and drank 12 vodkas before going home. I arrived home (I'd caught the train - I wasn't driving!!!), hubby had been given some beer from work, upon noticing I was starting to pass out on my 4th beer, he queried how many I'd had prior (he'd known I was going out for a few after work). As this was sometime after I'd confessed to him about my drink problem I saw no point in lieing and just told him. He took the can off me and told me to go to bed!!!

Comment

hi everyone
                I couldn't get on this site all morning. thanks for the advice BH! I will go hunto some down today. Peri, I think if you are paying attention you see more. I never thought to look to animals, though. Once I saw a bald eagle right in my path. Sitting down. I just stood there for the longest time until it flew away finally. It didn't look at me.
                a message??
                gotta run!
                Lila

Comment

Wow, BH that was ome heavy thinking and its got me thinking about my triggers too. I've been trying to become aware when the urge hits and think about what is causing it. I get myself an AF drink, take a deep breath and LEAVE the kitchen. Also I am not bringing into the house wine or vodka- my two favorites in the past. I have been using the cds a few times a week and taking the L-glut. MWO has been a God-send to me as AA meetings are tedious and depressing at times. Used to attend with a family member. Yes, I think alcoholism runs in families and am praying I have caught myself early enough to change any impact I may have created on my family. ODAT! God bless you all today.
                  Toughen up!

Comment

Vlad,
                    I think it's great that your body is telling you it needs AL time and probably unlike before, you're able to not just recognize it but listen to it and follow through with AL days. I believe my AL free time prior to beginning my mod life, was a big factor in me feeling control. I purposely scheduled in two weeks per month of AL time in my new plan so my body does not start to rely on it. Hope that helps.
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi J-vo,
                      That two AF weeks per month is a great idea. It takes I think a week for alcohol to get out of your system, so if you routinely put more AL into your body, I think you make the job of moderating that much more difficult. It is being done by others here, but I could not do it over time. It took me 5 months of trying to moderate before I realized that I can control my alcohol intake much better if I consume only once per week at most.

Lila, I bought a very inexpensive product called glutamine at WalMart. I think it's the same, but I never understood what the L stands for.

There is always wine in my house, because my husband drinks most days, moderately. He's entitled to do that. He drinks usually in a coffee cup, so it isn't so obvious. It has made my job more difficult, but I am stronger for it. He stores it in the basement refrigerator, so I don't have to look at it every time I open the refrigerator door.

I have mentioned sparkling flavored water (unsweetened) as a great wine substitute. Yesterday I picked up some Polar brand Black Cherry seltzer that has a wonderful intense taste. The other flavored waters are more of a background note.

Stay well, all!
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

In my previous post, I meant to be typing AF instead of AL. Sorry for the confusion.

Sunbeam - I agree with your theory about being careful of the intake and it being easier to moderate - so far! I guess I have no right to make that assumption, but it has obviously worked for you.
                        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

I guessed that J-Vo - don't worry and thanks for your post. On the other hand - I still drank tonight, even thought about your post as I bought the beer. The problem was, I had to call at the garage to buy a headlight bulb for my car, most garages in the UK sell AL, all AL including spirits!!!

Comment

I'm grateful that in my state, only beer is available in grocery and conveniece stores (many of the latter sell gas). I would have to go to a liquor store to buy wine or spirits.

j-vo, there is an edit button in the lower right corner of your own posts. I always end up fixing something when I post. Your meaning was clear, though.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Vlad- that's incredible! AL at a garage? Where I live, AL is not even for sale in the grocery store. We have to go to a beer distributor for our fav. beer and liquor store for wine and other. And the wine and liquor store and beer distributor are not even open on Sundays! It was a challenge at times for me - lots of prior planning involved if I was planning to drink on Sundays. Thanks Sunbeam for letting me know of the edit button.

Comment

Hi team
                                Didnt mean to be deep but I just like to figure out the hows and whys of my AL triggers especially as I am or was a classic binge drinker. I mostly only drank about 15 drinks a week (to start with) but I drank them all in the one night accompanied by a packet of fags! So I find it interesting to figure out what the triggers are for me and as long as I know what those triggers are I can prevent it happening. Luckily my husband doesnt drink at home so we dont have AL in the house and even if we did the teenagers would probably steal it. Hope you all have a good day.
                                BH

Comment

Working...
                                X