Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 27/10/08

Hi Gang,
    I've had a tough week. Have a job where depressing things can happen and it's hard not to take some of that emotional baggage home.
    Then dealing with preteens (C.h.a.l.l.e.n.g.i.n.g) and just life in general when things don't seem to be going right with friends, etc.
    Had to cancel an event with someone and the event was very important to them that I be there but was having a major crisis with my one son and that had to take priority. Now she won't contact me and it makes me feel bad as I'm a very responsible person and generally don't cancel, bail out, etc. once I make plans with folks.
    Actually really had a craving for a drink or two tonight. Like to save my one week-day or week-night for something really special like business dinner when everyone's drinking or midweek party event but fell into the "I'm stressed and need a drink mode"...and so I did. Was proud that I kept to my two 5oz drinks (that in itself is a miracle because in the past I could NEVER open a bottle and not drink the whole thing) but sad that I did it in the sneaky way as I drank before hubby got home on purpose as I didn't want to explain I felt the need to have a drink.
    As we've been talking about triggers I've been pretty lucky because I really haven't had a bad craving for drinking like some people experience. But I really did tonight. Have a good friend I could have called for help but honestly I didn't want help. Just wanted to drink my two drinks and relax.
    So triggers for me ... tonight I've discovered stress must be a big one. Just don't want to get in the habit of having this one be my excuse for drinking too often. There are other things like warm baths, music, talking to a friend, coming online here, etc.
    No bad feelings going on...just wanted to reflect...and be honest and share.
    Talk to you all soon.
    Eve
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I am/was a binge drinker also - except my binging became a daily occurence. So triggers are a great thing to identify.

Hang in there Eve. The progress you've made is apparent from your post - you stuck to 2 drinks. You mentioned you would not have been able to do that before, so pat yourself on the back and forgive yourself. Work stress was always one of my big triggers, although everything became a trigger and excuse to drink. And yes there are other choices we can make instead of drinking, but a lot depends on my cycle! When I'm hormonal, watch the hell out! It's best not to talk to friends when I'm in that state.

My triggers - like you said job stress. My other issues like anxiety and depression are triggers. When I've had extremely anxious days (which usually is related to the cycle time) I've drank heavily. Exercising always helps me - I get on my treadmill and walk away with my 80's music on my ipod. It does wonders for me.

Have a good day.
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Stress is a big trigger for me too! Hang in there Eve.
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

don't know if this is helpful but yesterday I forgot to take my kudzu and lglut and I started to have a couple of thoughts of alcohol.
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Startingover - the is helpful to see that we're able to pinpoint these things - we're consciously thiinking of these things so we're on guard. We have to have our guard up always.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

I just had a nice conversation with a much younger teacher and I thought I'd share. She was concerned about an upcoming project she's doing with the kids. She came to me to ask about it, had some anxiety about what she was planning. I was able to listen to her and give her positive feedback and she really appreciated it. I think tihs MWO forum is helping me to be a better listener and to be encouraging to others. Thanks to all of you!

Comment

hi all-
                Eve, it sounds like you did very well, and just staying very aware is a help.
                J-vo, I am glad this site has been helpful to you socially - I wonder if it has for me as well. Starting Over, that is very helpful to hear. I still have not bought any lglut, I wasn't feeling good yesterday, but I am excited to get some now.
                I wish I exercised! I used to take walks, now I don't do anything. I am thin, pretty much, but my body is mushy. Especially my tummy. How long does it take your body to change once you start exercising?
                Today I am going to buy pumpkins so my kids can carve after school.
                take care everyone
                Lila

Comment

Hi Squad,

Just a quick check in... bloody lawyers are eating into my precious MWO time.... but all's good. I'll check in early tomorrow and catch up with everyones news and share a bit of mine.

Wanted to send a special message to Vladster.......

HAPPY 10th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY VLADSTER AND MR VLAD!!

Hope you have a lovely day/evening together.
                  Love Dee
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thank you Deebs.
                    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

So do tell, are you going to do something nice tonight?

(How come I'm still on-line LOL)
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Happy Anniversary, Vlad and hubby!!! :wings:
                        :l
                        LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Vlad-Happy Anniversary
                          In Honor of your anniversary thought I'd send you and spouse a joke:
                          THE HUSBAND STORE

A store that sells new husbands has just opened in New York City, where a woman may go to choose a husband.
                          Among the instructions at the entrance is a description of how the store operates: You may visit this store ONLY ONCE! There are six floors and the value of the products may increase as the shopper ascends the floors. The shopper may choose any item from a particular floor, or may choose to go up to the next floor, but you cannot go back down except to exit the building!
                          So, a woman goes to the Husband Store to find a Husband. On the first floor the sign on the door reads:
                          Floor 1 - These men Have Jobs.
                          She is intrigued, but continues to the second floor, where the sign reads:
                          Floor 2 - These men Have Jobs and Love Kids.
                          "That's nice", she thinks, "but I want more ."So she Continues upward.
                          The third floor sign reads:
                          Floor 3 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, and are Extremely Good Looking. "Wow," she thinks, but feels compelled to keep going. She goes to the fourth floor And the sign reads:
                          Floor 4 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Good Looking and Help With Housework. "Oh, mercy Me!" she exclaims, "I can hardly stand it! "Still, she goes to the fifth floor and the sign reads:
                          Floor 5 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Gorgeous, Help with Housework, and Have a Strong Romantic Streak. She is so tempted to stay, but she goes to the sixth floor, where the sign reads:
                          Floor 6 - You are visitor 31,456,012 to this floor.
                          There are no men on this floor. This floor exists solely as proof that women are impossible to please.
                          Thank you for shopping at the Husband Store.
                          PLEASE NOTE:
                          To avoid gender bias charges, the store's owner opened a New Wives store just across the street.

The first floor has wives that love sex.

The second floor has wives that love sex and have money.

The third, fourth, fifth and sixth floors have never been Visited.

LOL,
                          Eve

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Gang,
                            Had my first chat experience last night. What a blast and what a great group of people we have here.
                            I really feel so blessed.
                            BH-YOU are incredibly witty and funny!! I love your sense of humor. Would love to meet you for a cup of java if we didn't live on other sides of the world. Maybe I'll visit NZ one day and look you up.
                            J-Vo- I would love to send you a private mail related to anxiety. You're fairly new so perhaps you don't receive private mail because you didn't know how to set it up. If you are interested go to CP on the left of your screen (Control Panel) select edit options and you'll see the option to receive private mail. If you choose not to I'll respect that - just thought I'd give you the info.
                            Oops hubby appeared and NEEDS the computer now!! Impt business deal...so...
                            will be back.
                            Bye to all!
                            Happy day!!

Comment

Eve
                              Loved that husband store!! Maybe you should post it in LOL section?
                              Lila

Comment

Hi everyone! Eve- hang in there, girl and don't beat yourself up too much. I know all about that as it is sometimes my favorite pasttime. Just be aware and learn from your observations. Always remember how much God loves you!
                                Happy anniversary v-lad!
                                Toughen up!

Comment

Working...
                                X