Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 03/11/2008

Hi Lila,

Don't know about Topa. I was on Campral for 9 months before I found MWO. Anything I know about that particular medication I read in RJ's book or here on the boards. It does seem to have some side effects, but from what I've read they dissipate in time. My understanding is it's very effective. I really don't think most of us can get a handle on our drinking without some help, and often it is medication that helps us break that tie that binds. I'm trying to taper off the Campral myself - tried before without success. This time, so far so good. You may want to post a Topa query on the general discussion thread. I think there's lots of experience out there. Know you've got a lot on your plate - do the best you can!

Vera-b

Comment

You didn't miss a thing!

vera-b;459825 wrote: am a little confused, Deebers, that you posted the date 3-11-2008. Did I miss something? I know we're not in the same time zones, but thought we were at least all in November! Vera-b
      That's so cute Vera-b. It's not the American way we do things but Europeans and many other countries post the day of the month first (3rd) the month in the middle (11/November) & then the year. So, you didn't miss a thing...it really is the Nov 3rd, 08 post.
      Hi to everyone. Have an interesting thread running called "moderating is so subjective."
      Jump over and add a comment.
      Things are good for me. AF since Sunday - plan to stay that way every week-night with moderate drinking this week-end. Fun girl's party but I'll be making champagne punch (less AL that way) as well as AF punch.
      Eve
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Felt sorry for my little brother - he went out for his birthday on Saturday with his friends. He was seriously ill about 3 years ago (not due to drink), was in hospital for 6 weeks and so is sceptical about drinking - he knows he doesn't tolerate drink well and usually sticks to beer. Anyway, he'd had a couple of beers and his friends ordered some wine. He'd only had a couple of glasses and he started being sick. His friends had to bring him home. He was really hungover Sunday and couldn't keep anything down, well into the evening. I feel sorry for him because he wasn't really binging - what he drank is nothing to me. I phoned yesterday and he was feeling better - luckily he'd pre-booked Monday off anyway as a holiday. He says, 'That's it, I'm definitely only sticking to beer now!'.

He cringes at my vodka drinking... wonder why??? :H
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

hi everyone
          hope brother feels better, vlad!
          Today is voting day! I am excited! Last night I finished the bottle of wine, just about a glass, but I didn't really need it. I took a bunch of lglut and kudzu, vitamins...I reread some of the book. I don't know if I need to take topa, it sounded scary, but I feel hopeful. There is a lot of info in the book and I feel like I just get online here and chat and don't do anything truly constructive. So I hope I am not being unhelpful here, being such a lightweight at effort. Even if I don't take topa I know I will lose this tummy and middle stuff from the less calories. I am thinking of taking lglut all day and just NOT getting more wine. Right now I don't think I need to. I have some alone time today and am going to read the book again.
          This sure will be a fun TV night for us in the States!!!
          Lila

Comment

Thank you for your warm welcome!
            It'll be great to get to now you people too.
            Vlad I'm sorry about your Hubbys Grandad.
            Sounds like it will be hard too with your drinking
            Mother-In-Law. If you can get through the next
            couple of weeks it will be a big achievement.
            Day 2 of no drinking for me. feeling good about
            it. Really didnt even think much about it tonight.
            I hope everyone else is going ok. It will be very
            interesting to see the outcome of the vote in the US.
            I t must have felt good to get your vote in Periwinkle.
            Deebs you need to teach me more Afrikaans so I
            can keep them on their toes at work ...LOL.
            Bye for now Pan

Comment

Good morning squad!
              Lila, you probably will loose some weight from quitting AL if you don't replace it with sugary drinks like juice and soda. Yoga will firm up the tummy even once a week will help. I started on the topamax on 10/19. I'm up to 75 mg per day. I don't think I will dose up to the 300 mg they recommend because I don't think I will need to. I have experienced few side effects, some very minor tingling in the feet (not really bothersome), and some lack of appetite (I've lost 5 lbs so far - woohoo!!!!!). Have you read the topamax survey thread? Some pretty good stuff on that thread. If you are on the fence about it, try without it. If you don't think you need it, maybe you don't. For me, I have had migraines most of my life and I got really excited reading about Topamax as it promises to prevent migraines as well and I am hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone. I have had fewer migraines so far, and the ones I have had have been less severe. I have very high hopes for this long term.

Hi Vera, I'm excited about voter day and wtching the results tonight too.

Panadol, Congrats on day 2 AF!! way to go! What are your goals?

Vlad, I've decided that there are certain spirits I can never drink in the future, vodka is one, brandy is another. Every brandy bottle I have ever bought seems to have a leak in it.

DeeBee, miss you! Can't remember when you were leaving - you must be on your trip!

Eve, nice going on the AF since Sunday. Great plan on the punch. Sounds yummy. I need to read your mod thread. I haven't taken time to read it yet - there are so many posts on this forum it's hard to get to everything! I have been doing some personal journaling on my mod plans, so maybe I'll have some input for that thread. It sounds like you are doing really well! Way to go.

j-vo, gyco, sunbeam (anyone I might have missed) - go team!!!! We are all in this together!

Love "you's" guys!!!:h
              periwinkle
              Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

well, I will keep that as a maybe. I wil take the L glut, kudzu. Any other of the aminos help? I have GABA, but I tend to be more into 'uppers' as GABA is a 'downer.' I just feel like maybe today I don't have to get a bottle of wine. I am not really into willpower, ha ha! I don't like counting days.
                Peri, do you have any problems with anger because of the topa?
                And I voted early this morning. I am excited!!!!
                I know there are threads out there about this stuff, but I feel more at home here. I did look at those threads, and I wondered if more unsatisfied people posted, like the vocal minority.
                Everyone have a lovely Tuesday!!!!!!!!
                Lila

Comment

Hello, all,
                  I guess I'm just in and out. I rode my bike to work, rode to voting after work, and there is still a little light left outside to gather some more leaves. More singing in Russian tonight for me.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hey Lila,
                    I actually put some of this yucky glutamine powder under my tongue instead of going to the basement freezer for a leftover Halloween treat. The powder seems to be just sitting there, not being absorbed. My friend picks me up for rehearsal in 15 minutes, so if it is still there I guess I will spit it out. I suppose it is working to keep me from eating those Reeces Cups, but sawdust would have worked too!
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Evening all,
                      It is an exciting night in the States. I voted after work today and it's so nice having the electronic voting booths as opposed to the old lever and curtains. It feels good to have a voice! I was just reading that we could learn who wins before the polls in the west even close because of the possibility of getting the 270 electoral votes on this side of the states.

Welcome Panadol and great start on the AF days. Keep it goin'.

Lila- never took topa, but what has been helpful to me is the amount of AF days. Before I started modding (last two weekends) I've had AF since mid August. I can't remember who said it, but getting those consecutive AF day are important to the body and mind. I've been journaling too, and once a week, I'm reading over my written plan that I put on paper a few weeks ago. It keeps me focused.

Great Eve! Keep it up girl, and get as much rest when you're stressed out. I know my body tires easily, more easily than when I was in my 30's. When I have stressful days, I try to get to bed at a decent hour - Oh! That's everyday!

Sunbeam - That's a great form of exercise - bikeriding. We've got so many hills where I live, I think I'd die of exhaustion after a 1/4 mile. It's beautiful here too, with the leaves. Just driving down the road today, it was snowing red and orange leaves. I'm going to have to try the L-glut under my tongue. Yes, Halloween is over and now I've got loads of candy and chocolate that I've been devouring. I need to gain some control and I have the L-glut, but never tried it under my tongue. I'm willing to try anything.

Have a great night everyone.
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi j-vo,

Do you live on the west coast? Voting does feel great doesn't it? I don't have much trouble with any of the Halloween candy except the chocolate! Big addiction for me. And no I'm not looking for a moderation plan for chocolate!

periwinkle
                        Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Happy vote day Mod Squad!

My apologies to our friends across the pond. I ignorantly thought DeeBee had posted March 11 instead of Nov. 3. As you can tell, I don't get out much. Just got back from my Tuesday discussion group. Very interesting. Now to take in some election results and catch up with ya'll. While yesterday the vibe was hugs, today it's everyone actually going about their lives. Do you hear us? We're talking about biking and choir rehearsal and chocolate and classes with a little topa and l-glut thrown in the mix. Can you just imagine the conversation in the old drinkeroo days? Well, half of us would be passed out and the rest would be incoherent. I think sometimes we need to take a quick glance in the rearview mirror and thank the creator of the universe for how far we've come. I am grateful for all of you.

Vera-b

Comment

Well morning all, was naughty last night - as we'd planned a holiday we have no food in the house, so we went to the pub. Of course I had a drink there and then 2 cans of beer when I got home. So that's 3 drinks on the tracker for me.
                            Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

good morning everyone
                              exciting night last night in the States! We were glued to the TV. I had a beer earlier, and then was thinking about something later to drink, but just didn't. Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe it is just the little choices in the moment. And journaling; I could see how that might help. Maybe a healthier way to get peaceful.
                              I wonder if Lglut is giving me headaches.

Lila

Comment

Morning all,
                                Someone on this thread asked about Drink Tracker a few days ago. It is a great tool, but the technology that runs it seems to be glitchy. I did have problems logging onto it last winter, but haven't had any problems since I started using it again in July. When I was having trouble, it seemed to work better in the a.m. (USA East Coast time), when I believe fewer people are logged on. I was always able to get in eventually, but had to try later rather than tryting to log in repeatedly in succession.

Looks like another lovely day with near-record warmth. Yesterday really was exciting with the elections. I am happy with the outcome, looking forward to a new start.

Comment

Working...
                                X