Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Your Moderation Rules

Hi Zed
    I like your rule to "never get unattractive". I think its too late for me (refer my avatar above) but any tips on would be good!
    BH

Comment

This is a good reminder thread.... we alll know what we need to do or not do, but it often helps to write it down and stick it on the fridge!

Comment

Dear Zed,

No. 11 - DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER GET UNATTRACTIVE. EVER. I like that. Perhaps that's why I got my hair done last Friday. Don't want to violate that rule. I'm laughing as I really think when we drink we're suddenly so attractive. We sing better, we're wittier, we're more open. Yet, the truth is WE'RE NOT!! I'm going to remember that rule. LMAO.

Vera-b.

Comment

Hey Vera! (and Boozehag!) - yup, I think that pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? Yes, and Vera, exactly - such an irony... spending all those countless deluded hours that we all have... thinking that we were actually sexy and attractive, when we got sloshed and sloppy and slurry...

NEVER GET UNATTRACTIVE. That sums it up for me right there! Oh yes. It's never too late.

Comment

Never get unnatractive made me laugh too. A while ago I went out with friends who I always drink heavily with and remained AF for the evening. When I went to the toilet at the end of the evening I was SO surprised NOT to see some dishevelled wreck staring back at me from the mirror. It really did hit home...:-)
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

With my husbands help and bitter sweet trial and error i have found these to work for me... but i did have a slip up two nights ago but no negative outcome except my own conscience

My biggest rule - Only buy what you know 100% you can handle. For me a quarter of anything Indian is safe. The stuff in India is less consentrated

rule two- dont drink with anyone who really likes to drink and can handle alot.

rule three - I dont drink before 8 and dont drink on tuesday the latter is due to my husbands religion

rule four - remember but dont beat yourself up about how you used to be

Comment

SOOPNA...........

LTMs,
                First and foremost rule: Don't have too many rules. The more intricate, convoluted, and tangled the list; the more likely one is to get tripped up and "fall"...,ALTHOUGH,there are several great rules throughout the rule lists here that a person should definitely incorporate and make habitual (and I plan to). Zed's looks simple, healthy and effective. Quality product, maintaining attractiveness, plenty of water and sleep! What's not to like? Write a book, quick!
                Now to my easy systems.
                The system I felt good about myself with ,
                and may go back to again:
                Special Occasions; Other Peoples; Never Alone
                It seems silly, but it works. And while it's hard for an addict like me to stick to but I used it in transition from Abs to moderation.Not much drinking on this one as long as we don't buy one of those calendars that shows every holiday and celebration everywhere in the world!
                My system now:
                One and I'm done
                It doesn't matter how,when or where. Even if I drink every day (and I don't) it's practically a neglible amount. I'm clear in the evening with my family,I sleep almost as well as when I don't drink and I wake up guilt free with full memory of the evening before; no slow start or hang over.
                One and I'm done.

Actually, these rule lists are alot like diets. The main thing,and the hardest, is to stick to it.
                ~Kid~
                It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

I just love your first rule Kid.... so true. Keep it simple!
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Yes, Kid, I agree that it's a lot like diets. To that end, it's the long term that counts. Wish we had a "scale" that would remind us that we're on the right track. I'm the same weight I was 27 years ago when I got married, achieved primarily by watching it very carefully and exercising regularly. Aiming to do the same with AL - watch it carefully and exercise AF nights regularly. Thanks for your iinput.

Vera-b

Comment

Same weight as 27 years ago!

Vera,
                      That's quite amazing (at least to me). You obviously have the right attitude for diet,exercise and moderation.
                      :goodjob:
                      ~Kid~
                      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Thanks Kid,

I've played around with 10 pounds over the years, but it's been off most consistently when I've kept the AL in the bottle and off my hips! Actually, that was one of my points of frustration - I could monitor diet and exercise so carefully, but when it came to AL just couldn't get control. That's been so much better the past year, particularly the last 4-5 months as good habits (with MWO) start getting a foothold. But I'll be here plenty in the month of December - that's a tough one for me. Thanks for joining us - you've added quite a learned and wise voice already.

Vera-b

Comment

boozehag;476053 wrote: Hi Zed
                          I like your rule to "never get unattractive". I think its too late for me (refer my avatar above) but any tips on would be good!
                          BH
                          boozehag that belly is hot! what are you talking about?
                          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I've been giving thought to goals and rules for 2009, which is quickly approaching. I'm thinking about maximums and minimums, and staying well beneath them.

No more than 4 glasses per week (for a vacation week), usually just 2 glasses max

At least 2 AF weeks per month

People have posted a lot of good rules or strategies, which will help me achieve these goals.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Howdy Kid,

One & I'm Done. I love that. That's a best, simplest rule. It's like a mantra, and makes perfect sense in every way. One can actually be HEALTHY!

Problem for me, even though I know it's great, and hopefully one day soon I can get there and stop making excuses, is... (here comes the excuse!) that 1 doesn't give me a buzz. Need a bit of a buzz right? Two works for the buzz. Can be done after that.

As I said, that's about the lamest, lousiest, excuse I have ever heard. One has a buzz.. it's just a delicate, pure one, not the hammer and tongs buzz that I am programmed to thinking is a buzz.. which means downing drinks until there is NO DOUBT that I have a buzz.. and that buzz is actually an Earthquake...

I must re-define buzz.

Thanks, that helped me think this through. Will work on it.

Zed

Comment

I've been trying different things since I came here without developing any rules for myself. Did my 30 days AF which completed Nov. 23rd and since then have been trying to moderate. I've had 3 'problem' days - Thanksgiving I had 6 drinks, and on two other occasions, 4. Other than that, I've been pleased with how things have gone. Well, except the fact that Sunday I had 3 glasses of wine and really felt bad on Monday. So, I realized I did not have willpower on Sunday and felt a little of my old self coming back (I was just sitting around the house Sunday evening...should not have had 3 glasses of wine!) and so I've decided to develop some rules for myself.

1. Never more than 2 drinks on a work night.
                                2. Only more than 2 drinks if there is a social occasion.
                                3. No more than 10 drinks a week.
                                4. 50% of days in a month should be AF.

That's where I'm going to start. Here's hoping I can keep to it!

Comment

Working...
                                X