Mod Squad Weekly Thread 17th Nov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting, what do you mean by redundant?

j-vo, great at pushing through it! I know exactly what you mean.

Well, I'd say for a bunch of SAD ladies we're doing pretty damn good! LOL
    "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

what is good exercise for someone who doesn't want to? I am near a community pool. Maybe the kids will want to go swimming, even though it is heavily chlorinated.

Comment

30, days way to go peri

Comment

well modders im still stuck with you hahahha,not ready yet,the christmas time is comin,hahaha,did try tho,not workin as of yet,the not drinking thing,but when im ready to abstain,i like the little train, ill just do i think i can,or i no i can,but i no thelonger you stay away ,harder it gets,

Comment

to many drinker in this family,maybe theyll send me to ireland for a onth,wouldnt tht be great,i could do the half marathon,be interesting,gyco hahaha

Comment

Hi all,
              Peri, my congrats to you! You made it through the hardest part, now you just need to figure out the rest of your life. Your life will be much better now that alcohol is under control, though problems will always be there. I just love having my life back. I love thinking, remember when I used to do this or that little thing? And now I can do them again. It has surprised me how long it is taking to establish new habits and catch up with things I have neglected far too long. This includes my friendships.

Peri, I liked your comments on another thread, that concept of kidness. We never should lose that. I work with kids, and you should have seen their excitement with the first big snowflakes today.

Peri, thanks for your interpretation of my chakra. My six-week gentle yoga class didn't get into chakra, though I've heard the term. That I'm pretty well-balanced doesn't surprise me, I guess, though I hope that doesn't sound arrogant. I keep saying that I have a wonderful life with many blessings. So just why was I screwing it up with alcohol? Beats me.

Lila, I swim every Monday and Friday a.m. and I love it. My family never had a pool, but we all took swimming lessons at the YMCA, and I think 3 of 5 of us were on the swim team. My parents took us swimming at a park with a lake as often as possible in warm weather, probably weekly. So I grew up swimming, but maybe you didn't. The changing clothes and wet hair stuff are a hassle. Otherwise, walking is the most readily-available exercise, and very safe. Someone in the pool dressing room mentioned snowshoeing today, and I said, Hey, I have some of those!" I bought them a few years ago with an LL Bean gift certificate, on after-Christmas sale. I wasn't enthralled with the experience, but this sport really burns a lot of calories. You warm up quickly because you are working so hard. As soon as we get some snow actually sticking on the ground, I plan to take them out in the fields behind my house. I imagine they are available for rent around you somewhere. I used to really enjoy cross-country skiing, but I think my joints aren't up to that any more. It is something else you could do with your kids, very easy to learn.

My gratitude for today is for my job/work. I enjoy my work, and have been in my profession over 30 years. My current job is about a mile from my house. Job security is pretty good, I think. I have been in this job just over 10 years. Most jobs I have had in the past required me to drive an hour or more. Someone at work today comes from quite a distance, and she saw several cars that had slid off the slippery roads. I used to be at high risk for that.

I guess that's enough. Becoming and Starting, nice to see you here. You too Bossman, Deebs, Vlad, Gyco, and anyone else. St John, I miss you!
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hang in there Gyco!
                Lila, I've always just loved to walk. Outside is best of course, but not in this weather. I have a treadmill that I've had for 13 or so years, and when I can or have the energy, I just walk on it with my ipod and listen to my music (lots of 70's stuff on it!). Sometimes I just walk on the treadmill and watch the news. Not much excitement in this, but it feels good when I'm finished.

I'm grateful for feeling like shit today and not drinking over it.
                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

hi all
                  hey gyco! nice to see you!
                  thanks Sunbeam and J-vo for the suggestions.
                  Guess what? I am taking so much L glut and Kudzu, now the liquor stores are closed, so it is an unplanned Day Two. I have no goals, my goal is just to be healthy-ish. Tomorrow, who knows, but today it was cold out and not really on my mind and I didn't want to go anywhere if I didn't have to.
                  Starts I have a Lightbox. I got it a few years ago. It was expensive, but I was sinking into a huge depression and just had to pay whatever to get back to life. I think $400.
                  Becoming, you take AllOne? It is my second or third day on it. The taste is nicely hidden in a smoothie.
                  night all!
                  Lila

Comment

Happy Monday Mod Squad,

Peri, huge congratulations on your 30 days. Finished my book "My Stroke of Insight" today, and the author mentions one of her insights was fully realizing that when we send out positive vibes to someone (or pray for them) we are actually sending positive energy out to them. It's not just a saying - it's our "right" brain at work. So, I'm sending out all the good vibes I can muster to you as you navigate the next steps of your journey. Just know you'll have much to share with all of us.

Top of the evening to Gyco, Starts, Sun, J-vo, Vlad, J-vo and anyone I may have missed. Lila, I've been a big fan of walking for the last 20 years. I love being outside, even in the winter. I draw the line at about 7-8 degrees, or lots of snow and ice. Then, it's the boring treadmill. But usually I can be seen outside (I'm such a creature of habit, that I've gotten to know many of the folks who live on my route!!). It's about more than the exercise to me. It's just very therapeutic. I think the most important thing is to like what you're doing. I used to run, but it took a lot of mental gymnastics to get myself to do it. I finally admitted I really don't like running, but love to walk. Try lots of things and stick with the stuff you like.

Late night - had lots of computer work to do tonight. Getting geared up for Thanksgiving with daughter #2 coming home from college at the end of the week. Hello hugs and one very messy bedroom. The suitcase won't be unpacked all week!

Vera-b

Comment

BecomingMeAtLast;470954 wrote: starting, what do you mean by redundant?
                      She was laid off from her job recently (her job was made redundant as they say in the UK) so she has lots of time on her hands now. What an education we get from this forum!

Thank you Gyco! Good to see you here with us modders.

Hi Vera, Thanks to you too! The book sounds interesting. I may have to pick it up.

I had an interesting day in the field today. A lot of memories came up for me today with things I saw at houses I was appraising. Things that reminded me of who I am, or who I was, or who I thought I was going to be instead. I'm still sorting through it. I normally don't notice much in the way of personal effects as I am there to see the Real Estate. Of course things do catch my eye. I visited three houses today. I noticed some rather odd things that all had to do with something from my past.

First: At all three houses there were completed zigsaw puzzles, framed and hanging on the walls. This is not something that everyone does, but I have enjoyed jigsaw puzzles with my mom, my sister, my youngest son, and I too have been known to frame my favorites and hang some of them. It has been many years since I have worked a jig saw puzzle.

Second: At the first two houses there were items in the homes that were obviously there to assist someone with a disability. I thought about a business that I considered buying many years ago, decades ago really. The business was for sewing clothing for wheelchair-bound people that looked just like regular clothes with seams and buttons and zippers, but that had easy fasten velcro in the back, sides, etc for the individual, caretaker, etc customized to meet the individual's needs. I thought about me being a 2 on the ennegram test and how that career would have suited me so much better than what I eventually ended up doing for a living. I thought about how dissatisfied I have been with my career at times because of how I am not in a field of helping people but rather one of making people so angry with me so often (at least the people I deal with directly). And I thought about how the clothing career might have grown and flourished after all these years. Not so much with regret, they were just thoughts.

Third: The third house I went to today was in the country on 5 1/2 acres. There were 3 dogs and 2 horses. The dogs were introduced and decided they really liked me. The homeowner asked if I was ok with the horses to which I replied that I was perfectly fine, love horses. As I was measuring the barn and the horses galloped toward me, I thought of my pre-teen years when I would ride my bicycle to the college stables. I so wanted a horse as a girl but it was out of the question for our family. So I took riding lessons at the college. And I volunteered my time whenever they would allow it to shovel out the stables for the chance at 15-20 minutes of free riding time for my efforts. I just knew that I would grow up to live in the mountains on acreage with all the horses I wanted. That didn't happen. But I do have a dog. Again, it wasn't regret really, just awareness, like, huh, my life didn't go that way either did it.

I just thought it a little strange that all these things came up on the same day. So I will go sip on a cup of hot tea and ponder these puzzle pieces that came up for me today. I am also going to listen to the 45 minute hypno cd this evening because I haven't listened to that one in a while and I think it would be good for me to do that.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful evening (or morning, or ?).

periwinkle
                      Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Ni-hao (hello in Chinese) Kids,

all is well here. I am OFF the sauce, I am exercising every day now at the fitness center, I am reading a lot, I am thinking about my future and about next year and I am feeling good about what I am thinking... so, feeling Fine!

Bunked off work and played squash yesterday afternoon. I used to play a lot a couple of years ago, it's good to be getting back into it.

Feeling my muscles, and my brain again. It's so nice. Glad to report it's still there! In mint-working condition. I wasn't so sure from time-to-time the last few months/ years.

A bit of a hectic week ahead but will be popping in and out to check in on the crew every so often.

The apartment is warm and toasty, I am well stocked with teas and coffee and water and juice and a bunch of liquids that are actually good for me, and that's really all the matters to me this winter.

Headed to India next month around Christmas and I am making plans to spend some days at a Yoga center in the mountains close to my home. Silent meditation program. I've done it before some years ago, it's intense but GREAT - so I'm starting to prepare for it already.

Have fun children. Don't do anything that I would do.! :H

hugs z

Comment

Peri I love it all. I love most that you've re-engaged with your work to find houses entertaining.

I've found after being AF that I re-enjoy simple things at work that bored me in my AL days. What's with that?

Comment

Hey gang,
                            I have a difficult child that I adopted at 3 from a neglected environment. There are many fabulous pluses about him and our life with him but at the same time he can be SO challenging at times it's unbelievable. Kind of like the little girl poem: "When she was good she was very, very good...but when she was bad she was horrid!" He needs such boundaries and limit setting. I can easily say he can literally drive me to drink!!
                            My next problem: I've never gotten along with electronic equipment. Know it's bad to say that cause you almost bring it on with the negative thinking but I have to paint the word picture for you tonight so you know how frustrating a night I'm having. I tried to listen to a good MWO CD to relax and go to sleep and it just literally stopped midstream. Monkeyed with it - changed batteries, etc. This thing is BRAND new - less than a week old. So felt frustrated with that. But would have been interrupted anyway as the problem child was fighting horribly with his brother at 11:00 p.m. no less (supposed to be in bed at 8:30!)
                            Just plain and simple would have been SO easy to have grabbed a drink. Sure would have a couple of months ago.
                            But my thinking is changing. I REALLY liked how I felt Sat. AF, waking up Sun feeling great.
                            I will NOT let stress be my excuse to drink. So, almost midnight my time and I'm writing to my cyber friends as I take a break from cleaning my house. Will go to bed when the lids get heavy... and I will easily remain AF tonight.
                            Blessings to all. Will try to be in touch tomorrow.
                            Eve11
                            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I will not let stress make me drink!!

Hey gang,
                              I have a difficult child that I adopted at 3 from a neglected environment. There are many fabulous pluses about him and our life with him but at the same time he can be SO challenging at times it's unbelievable. Kind of like the little girl poem: "When she was good she was very, very good...but when she was bad she was horrid!" He needs such boundaries and limit setting. I can easily say he can literally drive me to drink!!
                              My next problem: I've never gotten along with electronic equipment. Know it's bad to say that cause you almost bring it on with the negative thinking but I have to paint the word picture for you tonight so you know how frustrating a night I'm having. I tried to listen to a good MWO CD to relax and go to sleep and it just literally stopped midstream. Monkeyed with it - changed batteries, etc. This thing is BRAND new - less than a week old. So felt frustrated with that. But would have been interrupted anyway as the problem child was fighting horribly with his brother at 11:00 p.m. no less (supposed to be in bed at 8:30!)
                              Just plain and simple would have been SO easy to have grabbed a drink. Sure would have a couple of months ago.
                              But my thinking is changing. I REALLY liked how I felt Sat. AF, waking up Sun feeling great.
                              I will NOT let stress be my excuse to drink. So, almost midnight my time and I'm writing to my cyber friends as I take a break from cleaning my house. Will go to bed when the lids get heavy... and I will easily remain AF tonight.
                              Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Eve11;471208 wrote: Hey gang,
                                Eve11
                                p.s. Don't know if it's my computer or the site but I can not edit and it keeps double posting my messages. It won't accept my message when I first type it and then I try to send again and it posts both-then I can't edit the 2nd one out. That's it...I'm going to grab a drink...
                                of water. LOL. I WILL get through this night!

Comment

Working...
                                X