Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 17th Nov

Peri
    You're too cute! Not sure where I posted the Thailand info now but we're going for our annual date week although it will be a week and a half. Hubby and I try to go somewhere great once a year (just the two of us). After all, when the boys are grown and gone...who's left? We don't want to end up being strangers like many folks do who put everything into the kids and not enough into the marriage.
    Zed,
    Thanks for the Thailand advice. I may p.m. you for additional questions/info as I'm sure there's a lot you could tell me. I will let you all know (reader's digest version) about our adventures. Elephants and monkeys...here we come!
    St. John - Being around big drinkers is tough for me. Best advice - start off the night without drinking AL. Order a fun drink seltzer water, grenadine, lime or an Arnold Palmer (ice tea and lemonade).
    Try to plan to have your drink toward the ending of the evening. As you sip that one drink and feel in total control of you and your situation pay attention to the folks that are on drink 4, 5, 6. How do they look? How do they sound? You may decide not to have drink 2. LOL!
    Vera B, Lilac, Sun, DeeBee, my twin, all of the mod squad & visitors and newbies,
    Have a blessed nice.
    p.s. Sun, loved the mantra for St. John and I know she is going to love it!
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Peri
      You're too cute! Not sure where I posted the Thailand info now but we're going for our annual date week although it will be a week and a half. Hubby and I try to go somewhere great once a year (just the two of us). After all, when the boys are grown and gone...who's left? We don't want to end up being strangers like many folks do who put everything into the kids and not enough into the marriage.
      Zed,
      Thanks for the Thailand advice. I may p.m. you for additional questions/info as I'm sure there's a lot you could tell me. I will let you all know (reader's digest version) about our adventures. Elephants and monkeys...here we come!
      St. John - Being around big drinkers is tough for me. Best advice - start off the night without drinking AL. Order a fun drink seltzer water, grenadine, lime or an Arnold Palmer (ice tea and lemonade).
      Try to plan to have your drink toward the ending of the evening. As you sip that one drink and feel in total control of you and your situation pay attention to the folks that are on drink 4, 5, 6. How do they look? How do they sound? You may decide not to have drink 2. LOL!
      Vera B, Lilac, Sun, DeeBee, J-Vo my twin, Getting Better, all of the mod squad & visitors...have a blessed evening.
      p.s. Sun, loved the mantra for St. John and I know she is going to love it!
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

The day I can go in to a bar and order a non-AL drink will be a big one. I have it ingrained in my stupid head that it's a waste of money. AF drink at a bar?? It's like paying for water - something that by birthright should be free. Need to work on this as it'll be a big leap forward for me, and I'll be able to discover the world of non-AL drinks that bars offer... the Spritzers and Lime Waters and Soda thingies... sounds tasty all of them and I could use one now actually. Need to hydrate. My apartment has central heating and the thing is cranked so I get thirsty faster...

Eve, sandals. Rubber ones preferably, so you can walk around if it's wet and jump on to river boats without worrying about getting your feet a bit damp. Also I think it's monsoon (rainy) season down in South-East Asia about now, so you might get a little rain off and on. A small carry-on umbrella is always a good idea while on the road so you can keep walking! Honestly, if you have no big plans, I'd HIGHLY recommend Koh Samoi for a few days. Tranquil beach life on a tropical island - AND it's SOOOO beautiful. Yes feel free to pm me, I'm happy to be of help now that your coming to my neck of the woods lol! Welcome to Asia!!

Bye now everyone. This weekend is AF for sure. I'm going to try to go extended AF this coming week. Without planning too much, that's certainly my intention. I did 5 days AF at the beginning of the month -- might shoot for 6 AF starting today. Yes! I just want to feel that... each day it's a new feeling. I remember on day 5 how good I felt. Excited to feel that sort of clearness and energy again. Let's see how it goes.

I honestly think if I can change my mind-set about ordering AF drinks at bars, then I will have no issues. It just never once in all these years occurred to 'Mr. Retardo' here that I can do that.... I have conditioned myself to thinking that if I am at a bar (social setting with friends here in BJ happens to be bars), that means I HAVE TO order AL. A drink quickly...find the best AL deal (value for money) and go glug glug glug "bartender, one more please?! Oh it's happy hour is it? Ok make that two more and keep em coming until happy hour ends...!" This AF ordering is a new adventure for me! Nice. I'm such a klutz. Sometimes the most obvious things miss me completely.....

have fun kids.

Comment

good morning everyone
          I am up early with my coffee and internet. Reading everyone's posts and catching up;
          So glad you are not one of those notorious 'Swiss watch snobs,' Zed! I know what you mean about AF drinks - I mean why do people spend money on O'Douls (fake beer) it probably costs the same as the real stuff!
          Deebs I am glad to hear you have weekends off! Isn't it nice to just be all comfy in bed? Is it cold where you are, or getting there?
          Eve, Thailand sounds so fun! I have never been there myself, but I have gone to Thai restaurants! It is very nice to hear you and your hubby are interesting in maintaining your marriage. My ex utterly, utterly took me for granted. So glad to be rid of him. But all these lovely stories from the Mod Squad about marriage give me hope for next time around. I am happy to be alone, however, at the moment.
          Sunbeam, I am glad to hear things are getting better for you. I make gratitude lists in my journal when I remember to. It helps me remember that so many of my worries - seems like ALL of them - turn out just fine. And then I go on to other worries. Keeping track of all that helps me keep things in perspective and reminds me that I am not alone.
          I am feeling a little afraid about the future - I think I am reading the news too much. My mom was raised in the Depression, so I think I go to fear very quickly. I always worry about vague things. Definately time to do another gratitude list! I am also feeling tuggings of SAD. I am using my LightBox and taking St Johns Wort. In winter I just want to stay in the house, and don't have as much energy. Which seems very natural to me, actually. That is what animals do! Hibernate. I also have found it helpful to take additional Vitamin D so I can stay somewhat normal in these upcoming months.
          St John, Getting Better, Peri, and all other Modders - wishing you a Happy Saturday!
          Lila

Comment

Mornin' Everyone,

I only have a minute, since my kids are ready for breakfast and need a hand. I just read all your posts since last night, though...What a great group. Wish I had time to respond more personally, but duty calls. I will try to check in later.

I had one glass of red wine last night, with the cheese fondue my husband and I shared. It felt right. It crossed my mind to have more, but I waited a few minutes, realized I was fine, and decided against it. Sometimes all it takes is to slow down and think for a minute...Pay attention to the effect the alcohol is having, and recognize that more won't make it better. Today I feel good.

Have a great day everyone (or night, if you're ahead of me!) G.B.
            "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hey there mod squad,

I got a huge chuckle when I logged on today and saw that zed had started a thread about posting mod rules. What a great idea! Just like the one I had about a week ago... and started a thread just like it. :H So I bumped up the thread and by the time I had finished typing in a response, and submitting it, j-vo had also posted her rules there. So now I am really LMAO :H :H :H !!! Someone even put those 5 stars on the rating. I'm thinking, those tend to catch my attention and I at least look to see what they are. It's just that we sometimes don't see what is right in front of us. But we all do it. It made me laugh to know that I'm not the only one.

GB It's fine to just pop in and say "hey". Sounds like you did well with your wine last night. What caught my attention was that you said, "It crossed my mind to have more, but I waited a few minutes, realized I was fine, and decided against it." You paid attention. I think that's fantastic! I'm not an expert but I think that's waht a lot of this learning curve is all about. Great job!

Myself, I made tacos for dinner last night and thought a beer would be nice to have with that. I don't know if it is the topamax or what but it tasted really nasty. I thought that if I kept drinking it it might get better, but no, about half way through, it still tasted nasty. After dinner I gave it to hubby and he finished it. So that was that. After 33 days AF I had 1/2 glass of beer and didn't even enjoy it. I've read from others on the forum that they experienced the same thing with red wine when taking topamax.

Eve, I've never been to that part of the world, but I do love the food, Thai food ranks up there at the top of the list for me. I am so sorry for missing this. See, jsut like zed and j-vo missing my entire thread, I missed your post, because I am sure I would have remembered this. My hubby has spent some time (before I knew him) in Okinawa, Japan. He and his former wife adopted a baby girl from Korea while there (long story why they went to Korea instead of Japan). His daughter, my SD, is a beautiful girl (soon will be 20), has grown up only knowing our western ways and has no concept of what she was taken out of as a result of being adopted and brought here. Her birth mother was unwed and her life would have been one of poverty and strife. Instead, she has been over-indulged by her american mother. Oh, sorry, I almost went on a rant about that and it really is a different story. I love her like she is my own. I only use the term SD in situations like this where the clarification is warranted. Otherwise, she is my daughter (even though she has never lived with us full time). Back to you, when are you going on your trip?

So I have a lot to do today and need to get busy. I have my mantra class to attend today, compliments of zed's om training. I am hosting the family for Thanksgiving dinner here on Thursday so need to do turkey and cranberry sauce shopping, tidy up the house, etc, and scurry off to mom and dad's for brat and maybe no beer for periwinkle tomorrow.

Didn't get to everyone today, but know that I am thing of each and every one of my mod squad cyber friends today and every day!

love, hugs and kisses all around,
              periwinkle :bigwink:
              Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Hi all,
                I'm pooped. I had a three hour meeting at church this morning regarding serious matter, then a 3 hour rehearsal for our orchestra/chorus performance tomorrow afternoon. Following the concert The Chef will make us a nice dinner with wine. That will be a nice finish to a weekend that is too busy.

I guess my gratitude for today is for the music in my life. I especially love singing, but sometimes I enjoy listening to tunes. I love music of all kinds twirling around in my head. But sometimes I just want peace and quiet.

take care, all
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi all:
                  Just checking in on a Saturday evening . . .

It's great to catch up on the news of the week . . . upcoming travels, and each of your weeks challenges and successes. Lots of reading, but you all seem to have a good support group going here! I've had a great week, kept to my mods limits (you'll recall last week was difficult . .. this week was a breeze). so I'm feeling back in control. I expected to, but its also reassuring.

It's freezing cold and windy here - RAW. Fire in the fireplace kind of night. Am going to read a while. Thinking fondly of all of you. Talk again soon!

Ask

Comment

Evening maniac modders!

No, it's only mania here. I've got five 11-year-old boys downstairs (I'm so glad we got our basement finished!) going absolutely bonkers. We just got back from Dave and Buster's (games and dinner) and the ride home was such a hoot. They started breaking wind! It was 6 males in the car and me! You can imagine the testosterone level in the car, and it didn't even matter that it's freezing out, I had to open the window! Then we get home, and they're putting balls in their shirts pretending they've got big boobs. I thought it was halarious. They are too funny.

Sunbeam - I've got to tell you that every time I read a post from you, your words just soothe me. You've got such a calming effect on me and I need to tell you thank you because I'm the complete opposite. It helps so much to read your posts.

Peri! I posted under Zeds rules, but I'll cut and paste and put them under yours too, sister! Hehe. I'm not a competive person. I wish I were. I want everyone to win! I'm so glad to hear your 30 days is continuing on with little or no al. Congrats on that!

Zed, BB, what's it like to be amongst all those fancy smancy people? I think I'd love to go to an event like that just to people watch. Love to people watch. The best place for that is NYC! Love to visit and just walk, watch, stare!, and eat! I'm glad you successfully modded on Friday night. What a good feeling - control. And I like your idea of quality drink. If we're going to have a nice drink or two, why not make it a good one. The cheap stuff is just that and it does give nasty headaches. And I like your thinking - moderation in everything, not just drink. But did you ever hear "everything in moderation, including moderation?" I'd better not think that way. I was the one that questioned the cat in the restaurant. Very interesting!

DeeBee, please spell out ROFL - got me on that one! Yes, you must be very good at math. You and Zed sound much wiser than your 33/34 years. Is it summer in South Africa? Is school almost over for the year? You mentioned that school "breaks up" at Christmastime. Did you mean for a little vacation or for the summer vacation? Thank you for your thoughts under my other post about children. Your Dad sounds like a gem. Give him a hug for me!

Lila - SAD has not conquered me as much as it has in the past. I normally get it much more. I can't say I'm not vulnerable to the sad and anxious episodes, but I'm much better. And it only seems natural, like you said, to hibernate now.

Eve - I read your rules you posted. Yep - maybe not identical twin, but definitely fraternal!

Getting Better, Ask, and all of you modders, have a great night.
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

hi everyone
                      I have houseguests for a week so I probably won't be online much. Right now it is very early and everyone is sleeping, so I have some stolen moments!
                      J-vo, five boys!!??? Yikes. We just moved and the kids usually have been going to their friends' house, so I have to get back into that groove, of having more kids here. Is it a sleepover??
                      I am modding pretty well. My 'rule' and I am not into rules is one beer a night. I see there are TWO mod rules thread but I won't post because rules make me nervous and defensive. Besides, then I would have to choose whose thread ha, ha!
                      Nice to see you here, Ask, glad you are doing well, feeling in control. That is a biggie, the feeling in control.
                      Modders, have a great Saturday!
                      Lila

Comment

Good morning everyone,

Just a quick note before it's off to mom and dad's.

I wanted to check in about the yoga class yesterday and zed's om teaching. It was awesome! The instructor, Gina, began class with amazing chanting of "om". Much more than usual. There are a few people who come to the studio who are a bit uncomfortable with chanting even a single om so they often don't use any, except in the more advanced classes. You know, catering to the few. Anyway, Gina used zed?s description of the states of consciousness as ther relate to the om symbol (pointing them out on a symbol at the front of the studio as she went along) throughout the class and using yoga poses to represent each state. Of course zed?s favorite, ?dead-man? pose which I learned as corpse pose was used to represent the sleeping state. It was awesome, zed would have been proud. I wish there were some smilies that looked more like yoga poses. I decided that this one kinda looks like child's pose, except that it's way too fast... oh well, use your imagination. :bow

I really must run now.

periwinkle ray:
                        Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

It's Sunday in this part of the world Mod Squad - and happy Sunday to all!

Have been AWOL for the last couple of days because I couldn't tear myself away from my mirror after my glam treatment. Kidding, I really am. Deebster, I would have made hubby take me out, but we had to drive down to Rhode Island to pick up college daughter who's in for the week. I actually had a few minutes on line Friday and Saturday, but had to take care of pond business (long story, but we live on a pond and I'm pres. of the association that takes care of it). Then, I discovered online this source of choral anthems (Sun, this is for you!!) that I could download for free. Well, I was like a kid at the candy store. Spent the entire evening downloading my favorites, and am sitting here tonight with headphones on. Also have spent a lot of time this weekend getting gifts for my little ones - my special little girl in Uganda (sponsored child), something for a couple of 4 year olds in a preschool in Boston, and a game table for a boys and girls club. It's my favorite part of the holiday season. My girls know it's just my excuse to go to the toy stores!

Welcome GB! One of the things I have discovered since learning to mod (and I'm still learning) is that I have more time to explore those things that I'm interested in and more time to enjoy life in general. I love to hear how we all spend our days, and the exciting things we're discovering. In my dark, drink days all I knew was that my days were only about 18 hours long. Lost a good 6 hours to drinking and recovering from drinking. Life is certainly sweeter now.

Good to hear everyone's news. Deebster, you are still our fearless leader. Lila, Vlad, Brother Zed, Peri, Starts, St. Jude - so glad to hear from you!! - and Ms. J-vo (so insightful) enjoy a wonderful week. Will be very busy - as many of you know I work for a church, so the coming weeks are the busiest. But it's all good. Have a great week!

Vera-b

Comment

Welcome Limers and Oney! Everyone is welcome here. This is a really supportive group. Once we decided to start the thread on Monday's instead of every day it really took off into something special. This thread has taken on a life of I think some pretty intense discussions of what's going on with us. Although we are all in different places with our moderation we support each other and offer advice where appropriate.

Starting, we love hearing from you always!

DeeBee, I love that I get such an education from this site, not only about AL but other stuff too. So now I know that a loo is a toilet... :H and that planting basil with tomatoes brings out the flavor (that's how we spell it here BTW) and it an insect repellant. I had problems with squirrels for years eating my flowers. I heard to spray hot pepper spray on the flowers, but that washed off too quickley. This past spring I had a dream one night that I planted some hot peppers among my flowers and the squirrels didn't like that. So I tried that and sure enough the squirrels left the flowers alone all summer!

Lila, I understand the critical environment, although my mother will defend to her death that she has never been critical, I hear it every time I talk to her. She can sooo push my buttons. I have in the past gotten very drunk when she comes around just to "deal" with the negative stuff she unknowingly puts out. I love her dearly, she's my mom, but I do not need to do that to myself any longer. I am learning that she has her own issues. I am an adult and do not need to get affirmations from my mother to be whole. I hope that you find many ways to overcome your issues with SAD. You area a beautiful person, please don't be so critical of yourself. I have come to know you as a very loving and tender soul.

zed, thanks for the Bangkok update. I will up the ante on my prayers for Eve. It wasn't me who talked about the little wine bottles. You are right they are over-priced. There is no problem here, if a bottle of wine is opened, my hubby will make sure he helps me drink it. :H

Oney, I am a little surprised to hear that you want to try modding only because of some of the posts I have seen from you. I am in full support... tell us more. Do you take any of the supplements? Hypno cd's? meds? just curious. I love you girlfriend! Glad to see you here. I didn't know you will be in NY for Christmas. I too want to be able to have a glass of wine with dinner on occasion. I never want to go back to where I was. I never want to have a hangover again. I never again want to be feeling like I'm crawling out of "the fog" those first few days sober after I've been drinking for how many years?

I'm brand new at modding. I know that if it doesn't work out for me it will be back to AF forever. So Oney and Limers, and all the other modders, we can do this together! And we will be here for each other to help each through.

Hi ducky! What kind of pies are you making? I like fruity pies. or chocolate or peanut butter pie. yummy!

periwinkle :l

Comment

Working...
                            X