Mod Squad Weekly Thread 24th Nov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there Ducky and yes, I have warmed up a little, thanks. Went for a half hour walk at lunch.

Now have bad stomach ache and want to go home. :upset:
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hello there kids.

sorry I've been AWOL the last couple of days. It's not been that long really, but it seems longer than it's actually been (just 2 days??) Anyway I am caught up on the action here in our Mod Squad. Glad to hear that everyone's generally doing fine!

Vlad, hello there. Hope the heat comes on immediately for you at work. That's nuts. Doesn't sound pleasant one bit. I couldn't work that way, I'd just freeze up into an icicle and that'd be it.

Lilac, we hear you on the SAD. Please hang in there, as some of the other kids have advised. We all deal with it to different degrees, though it seems you have a more intense dealing to deal with. Go easy on yourself... and try not to think too much (easier said than done, YES.) I like Ms Deebs advice. Just let it through... And remember YOU are normal. Zed says so, so you better believe it!

Dear Peri, Sun, Eve, Vera, St John, Ducky (hello!), S.O., O2M, GB.... and Ms Deebs... Jvo! Really hope I didn't miss anyone (who's been here of late at least)... really sorry if I did. Wracked my old brain there for a minute to try and remember all the kids on the team.

So... it's been crazy, nuts, bonkers busy here the first 2 days this week. Tomorrow also ave a full day, with meetings and work. Also Thurs. Hopefully things will mellow out on Friday (doubt it though) and then it's the weekend again! Yes! can't wait.

Not had time to be here, but do think of you guys every so often and wishing everyone's fine and sticking with their plans for wellness.

I have managed these days to remain AF. Today is Day 4 done. Last Friday night (the Swiss Watch fancy schmancy party night) was my last drink. The weekend was fine (as first couple of days after a session always are) but can't say that I didn't come quite close on Monday evening (after the LONG day at work) and then again this evening (after another LOOONG day starting at 8am and going until 9pm...) to grab a bottle of wine from that damned grocery store just downstairs in my apartment building, with the intention of pouring it all down my throat. BUT I staved off on both occasions and I AM SO GLAD RIGHT NOW AT THE VERY END OF THE DAY that I DID. Especially tonight. Just needed to wind down, and the LAST thing that would have been good for me tonight would have been to hit a few glasses of anything other than water.

Drinking a lot of coffee these days, but I'm hearing now that coffee is actually good for one. They keep changing their minds every few months, so I'm taking advantage of that fact that at this moment in time, the word seems to be from the medical 'profession' that coffee is OKAY after all. Once again, as with everything else, it's all about moderation. Whose mum is it that used to say, "Everything in Moderation... including moderation!"? Yes, a better mantra for me right now is Moderation in Everything.... including in Everything!

Ok, I'm losing it. ha. It's that hour of the night. Almost 1am. Need to hit the sack. WHACKED OUT LADIES AND gents. (any gents here?)

I am off to Singapore on the 5th of Dec. For the weekend. Looking forward to that. Been here in Beijing since... the summer... since July... feels too long to be in one place. Need to get out, even if just for a couple of days... change of scenery always does me wonders. I am a restless soul and I am happiest when I have an open road in front of me. Unless that is, I am in one comfortable place. That's nice also, like just now, when there's no place I'd rather be than right here, in my cozy apartment, ready to go to bed!

Don't mind me if I'm not around next 48hours. I'm doing fine. Making it. Largely thanks to you guys and the subliminal support I get from you all. And the inspiration! Yes, I agree, what a wonderful group we have. Such caring, wonderful people. It's a pleasure to be around you all, and I'd love for us one day to all get together in the same place (although I know that won't happen). Probably for the best anyhow. I mean, what would the bunch of us do together... in one place? The situation could turn out messy. ha ha.

St. John, hope your man learns his lesson and grows the f up. Sounds like he needs a talking to. Wish I was there to have a word with him and clip him on the back of his head (metaphorically speaking, that is... I am an advocate of non-violence!) so that he realizes... anyway.... Just hope you can take it easy and things get better on that front for you and the kids. We will send you our warmest energies. Hope you can feel that in your moments of need. You are not alone.

Ok guys, take good care of yourselves. I'm going to try to make it until Friday without a drink. Then Friday night will treat myself possibly with a couple of glasses of something nice. The Quality Rule MUST apply, whatever I end up doing. That's for sure. That'll keep me on the straight and narrow.

Peri... mountain lions??! Whoa girl. Where the heck you walking around?? I once walked up right in front of a wild tiger. In a forest. Well, not right in front... but she was there... the old girl... maybe 20 feet away. We just looked at each other for a while and then she disappeared and let me keep walking (through her home.). That was one of the most intense and awesome, life changing experiences I've ever had. I've had a few... but that one's up there.

Peri, also... catching up, glad the Yoga class worked out! It's funny and touching and life-affirming how we are affecting each other's lives - for the better - from so many thousands of miles away from each other. OM!

Deebs, your garden with the mist... sounds splendid. Count your blessings girl. Count your blessings. As I count mine. And a special BIG HUG for you dear, from me. I think of you as my younger sister...

Ok my lovelies. It's bedtime for BB aka Zed. The poor boy is done for the day. DONE. TOAST.

Vera - big hug for you. And for you Sun.

Eve, of course as you know I am close to you on your trip... you are heading my way. Btw, I will be in Bangkok on my way home on Dec 19th for the Christmas hols. Will be passing through, though only for a day. Might actually not even end up leaving the airport depending on my connection. But will surely think of you when I am hanging around the airport! And think... wow, Eve11 was here!

Let's each of us please count our blessings. And say thanks to whomever we each thank... Gnite.

hugs.

Sleep well all. Sweet dreams. Stay strong. Much love.

Comment

Hi there Zed - well done being AF. And nah, it never warmed up. I was warmer outside with my coat, hat, scarf and gloves when I came to go home! I was told by a friend that coffee dehydrates you and for every cup of coffee you drink you should drink a glass of water. Sound familiar? Must admit, I did wonder why I had really bad cravings last Wednesday. They obviously weren't cravings at all - I'd just had too much coffee!
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Oh zed- your words are always so comforting and even put a bit of "doux "back in my heart for the male species. ( there's your French word of the day)

j-vo I went back and found the post about children and cried my way thru it. I just pray that my children will forget and forgive the person I was and remember and embrace who I am becoming to be.

DeeBee- I too love to garden but here in the desert it can be challenging. But I keep trying- I have baby lettuces popping up now. I too have girl teenagers and they can be trying at times. Lots of hormones in our home. No wonder hubby is a bit of a grump! You have quite a long winter school break. Maybe sending her to Gramps and Grams for a bit will be good for everyone. Otherwise you may have on your hands a time :bomb:. I know for me that if I get a break inbetween large doses of my teens we all are better. Well friends- I'm off to prepare for the big holiday as the whole family is gathering here on Thurs. for Thanksgiving.

Keep warm, vlad
          Keep happy Lila
          Keep safe Eve
          and anyone else I have forgotten keep the modding faith alive!

God Bless, your St. J
          Toughen up!

Comment

Hey there St John - I'm warm now - I'm at home!!!

Comment

Hi Everybody,
              I now consider myself on vacation for a few days, until Monday. We will have two adult and two teenage guests for Thanksgiving dinner Thurs. My sister will go back home probably Friday morning, while the BIL and his kids will stay until Saturday. My sister has chronic mental illness, so it is not easy helping her fingure out some things, but she is still my sister. Fortunately she is able to live independently and drives a car. I probably won't have wine with dinner Thurs because I just had some Sunday. Maybe I will Friday eve after my sister leaves. My husband is "The Chef", so I think I'm cooking up cranberries tonight, and on Thurs. will just do the mashed potatoes and green beans. I do have some cleaning to do before they all arrive.

Vlad, how miserable to be working in the cold like that. Is this temporary?

Zed, I too keep reading positive health info regarding coffee, I think up to 2 cups per day. When I started to cut down on drinking, I substituted coffee for my after-work drink. It was nice to have the energy to get a few things done instead of slouching in the chair.

St. John, I'm glad you enjoy that mantra. I am Presbyterian, but attended catholic services when I was in college over 30 years ago. You probably never thought about it as a mantra, just a tradition.

Lila, the shorter days don't affect me until January, after everyone takes down their Christmas lights. I try to plan new activites for January, and have a nice group of friends over sometime during that month. I let others have the holiday parties. I think this winter I will knit a shawl and start a quilt. I probably won't finish the quilt. And I already have quite a stack of books I look forward to reading.

Ducky, I think you asked about the banana diet. Here's a link: Japan Goes Bananas for a New Diet - TIME
              So I'm not really following it, but it's a funny story. The idea of eating a banana in the evening instead of other sweets and starches makes sense to me.

Deebs, glad you are back on line. I spent a year in Brazil as an exchange student over 30 years ago, and we had that kind of summer schedule you described. I can't help out with all the moms stuff. I envy your garden because my ground is frozen.

Take care and be well, all.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Well, it's almost Turkey day. Gosh, hard to believe. I'm looking forward to a little time off from work - Thursday through Tuesday! I've got two days designated as mod days. One for Mr. Turkey day and one for Sat. which we are having my son's family birthday party (please don't confuse the kid party which was last Sat with the upcoming family birthday party. I've got an only child, so he gets two parties!).

Lila - I'm in the same boat as you are sweetie. Yes, the feeling is here - low, sad. It's so wintery outside today. It's gray. So, it's creeping up on me more this past week. Keep the light on. Try to get on a treadmill or some form of exercise. This time of year is so very difficult. And more people have SAD than we think. We're not alone. Do something special for yourself during the Holiday season. Maybe a nice dinner with friends or go out and buy a special purse or something - Even renting funny movies to make you laugh. I just watched "Sex and the City" movie - never followed the series, but the movie had me laughing hysterically in parts (especially with the dog - reminded me of my dog - horny little PITA!)

St. John - hang in there. Yes, Zed's response to 4 the chlidren made me cry and cry. I wish I had sun and sand - wherever you are, enjoy it. Soak it up. I think I'm missing that Vit. D.

One2many - Are you going to NYC? For the holidays? If so, have a great trip! I love NYC. So much fun, especially for the Holidays, I'm sure. I've only been there on several occasions in the summertime.

Deebs - I'd be a little scared around a stumblin' drunken elephant! That was me that asked about school. Is the month and a half the only break they get in the school year? I'm jealous of your insect bits and veggies! Well, maybe just the veggies. But the warm weather. Oh! Send some this way.

Vlad - What's important is that you have improved your modding. Keep it up girl. And keep the hell warm! Tell that boss of yours to invest in a decent heating system! I can't work when I'm cold. I can be sweating my ass off and be just fine, but as soon as it's cold, my body and mind freezes.

Zed, Ducky, Sun, Vera, and all modders and friends, enjoy your evening. Good luck with your upcoming Turkey days!
                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

zed;477583 wrote: Peri... mountain lions??! Whoa girl. Where the heck you walking around??
                  zed... in the mountains of course, they do live there and no I didn't get out of my car. I didn't even get close enough to be able to tell you if it was a male or female. But I've never seen a bear in the wild in Colorado. In Wyoming, but not in Colorado.

Just a quick "hello" to everyone. It has been a busy day with a lot of clients calling with a whole lot of little things for me to do which add up to a very busy day.

Ducky, I'm so glad to have you here. Yousaid that your modding is so much better when you hang out here so I hope you hang out here.

Haven't seen GettingBetter around in a while but I do hope she returns!

DeeBee, your garden sounds lovely!

Vlad, I was freezing in my office for a couple weeks, kept asking hubby if something was wrong with the heat. I don't know why but one day I nosed around and realized that my office window had been left open a crack at some point. It's been much warmer in my office ever since I got the darn thing shut all the way! Not fun for you!

j-vo, sun, st john big hugs to you :l :l :l

I'm hosting turkey day for the family at my house this year too. I do get lots of help from hubby, but there's always a lot for both of us to do. He makes a fantastic cajun cornbread stuffing. He also insists on only homemade pumpkin pie, so that one's on him too. He's not so good at gravy, but I'm pro, so it all works itself out... we make a great team!

eve, be safe and have fun on your journey! You and your husband will be in my thoughts and prayers!

periwinkle
                  Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

'Evenin' Mod Squadders,

Have been in the throws of Thanksgiving prep so have been uber busy. Of course, the holiday means a couple of days off work - yea - but being that it's a church means that the work doesn't go anywhere - just makes for some long days before and after. But, that's holidays - love 'em or get lost!

Zed, you sound so healthy my man. That, and you have your Beijing act together. Everyone else sounds so great. This is one rockin' group! I told my college girl that I need to check in with everyone most days, and she countered with "of course - I text my friends everyday, too" - so here I am. I think I have enough food to feed this entire thread, so I guess I'll be cooking like there's no tomorrow. I hope everyone here enjoys a happy Thanksgiving; and if you're in a place where it's not a national holiday, perhaps you can think of one thing you're especially grateful for. Believe me, the first part of my Thanksgiving prayer will be for all of you - may you enjoy a year of health and great joy.

Vera-b

Comment

Hi all , Id like to slip in to this group if thats ok. I want to modd by just drinking at the weekends . I would like to spend some time reading over some of the posts and get to know you lot a little better.

Comment

Welcome Limers! My moderation rules are basically max of 2 drinks on a week day and max of 3 on a Sat and as many AF days in between. Yesterday was AF and today hubby is busy in the evening at a meeting. I certainly will not be drinking alone and so I intend today will be AF as well.

J-vo - we are supposed to be moving office in the new year. Presently we are in an old listed building.

Comment

Morning O2M! Read away!

Comment

morning all,
                            Just got up. 5:20 a.m. and last time I have to see this dreadful hour until next Tuesday! Good luck with all of your yummy cooking Vera! I can't wait until Thursday. My hubby's family is such a great group of cooks. I won't be able to pick myself up off the couch Thursday evening (that's a goal!)

Limers - welcome and take a look at the modding rule posts under long-term modders. Lots of great ideas.

Morning 02M. And to everyone else, have a great day. Got a busy two days ahead, so here I go!

Vlad, dress warmly as possible then. Layers! Any portable heaters? Just be careful of those.
                            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Morning all, I am just popping in to say hello and have a great day everyone.
                              And to have a nose of course xx
                              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

j-vo;478023 wrote:
                                Vlad, dress warmly as possible then. Layers! Any portable heaters? Just be careful of those.
                                Portable heaters, you've got to be kidding. We don't even have a light in the toilet. You have to pee in the dark. LOL! Sounds like I'm in the Gulag...

Hi there Starts!

Oh yeah, I am now 8 stone 10.

And just done my daily half hour walk in the rain. Committed or what?

Comment

Working...
                                X