Mod Squad Weekly Thread 24th Nov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ducky, I was reading one of Jamie Oliver's cook books last night and he says that if you plant basil with your tomatoes it brings out the flavour of the tomatoes as well as being an insect repellant -- gotto love nature.

Vladster, how is the tummy today? Is the heater back on?? No light in the loo -- you gotto be kidding me!

Zed, congrats on day 4!! Life sounds pretty hectic for you at work, so good on you for passing by the damned grocery store and not getting that so called "well deserved drink". BTW my coffee intake has also increased dramaticly, I am now on about 10 cups a day so I switched to de-caf and I honestly can't taste the difference. It 's great not to get the jitters in the afternoon from OD-ing on caffine.
    Hugs back at ya little bro!! (I am the eldest you know ha ha ha)

St J, you'll have to translate the french for blondie here, I have of course sat here and used my imagination as to what the word must mean -- must get my head out of the gutter lol!!
    You are right, a bit of time out will do both of us some good, I'm going to chat with the in-laws and see when she can go up -- soon I hope.

Sun, the more I learn about you, the more I admire you! You are a very special person to understand your sisters needs so well. Are you the eldest?

J-Vo, I had to laugh at your son having two parties. The one year my daughter managed to wangle 4 parties out of us!! One with her friends before schools broke up, one with us on her birthday, one with my parents and then another on the farm with my in-laws.
    As far as the school terms go, they are broken up into 4 terms per year. So school begins mid Jan, then the first holiday is March/April which is normally about 3 weeks then the next holiday is during winter in July and also 2 to 3 weeks, finally the last one is the end of Sept for 10 days and then school finishes the first week of December only for it to begin all over again -- oh and lots of public holidays thrown in. I think the total number of days that they go to school is about 100!! Is that very different from you guys?

Peri, you and hubby sound like a great team in the kitchen. I love watching couples interact in the kitchen -- makes me all warm and fuzzy... must be cause my poor Pops was permanently banned from the kitchen because he would use every pot and pan in sight lol!!

Eve, have you left yet? I'm thinking of you and hubbs having an amazing time -- can't wait to hear all your news.

Lila, I hope today is a HAPPY day for you -- kick SAD up the butt

Vera you are so right that even though we dont' all celebrate Thanksgiving we should take time out tomorrow (it is tomorrow hey?) to think about all we are grateful for in our lives. I am planning on cooking a special SA version of pumpkin pie and our little family will be celebrating Thanksgiving DeeBee Style.

LIMERS!!! I just posted on your thread that you should join us here and here you are -- bloody marvellous!! So come on, spit it out, what's the plan?

Hey O2m, I read on Limers thread that you were toying with the idea of modding. Want to tell us what's going on in the feckin little leprechauns life?!??!??

Hiya Starts! Always lovely to see your cheeky avatar here!! LOL!!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

hi everyone
      Modders -
      I just wanted to say thanks for all the supportive words and advice. I was raised in a very critical environement, so when I am not very healthy - like fighting SAD, I get very self critical. Thank you! Have to run and attend to my guests here
      Welcome Limers!!
      love
      Lila

Comment

EVE!

Comrades

don't know if any of you have been watching the international news this evening... but stuff's going down in Bangkok big time. Bad timing for Eve11. Hope her flight is fine and that her travel plans stay on course. Eve. Bad timing, what to say. Bangkok airport is shut down due to the anti-government protests... yowzer. What I CAN TELL YOU FOR SURE is that you have not to worry about your personal safety. What's going on is to do with the government and the politics of the country and foreigners are immune to this. BUT the issue is that your travel arrangements can get a bit cocked up in the bargain. Anyway. I think it's all fine. If I were you, I'd fly in and take it easy. Once you're there, you're there. And by the time your returning to the States, this will all be over and the airport will be clear again (it's just a matter of the next 48 hours before it all gets straightened out, one way or the other.)

SO don't freak out in case you're watching the news. GO. Welcome. This is the world we live in. Welcome to Thailand!

Ok. So tonight a bottle of wine was bought. But in keeping with my Quality Rule, I paid a bit more and bought some good wine. 4 days AF. ANother long day at work today... a good one, but a long one. And I came home relatively early 6pm and I thought... ok, I deserve a drink. Who is it that's experimenting with the small wine bottles (1.5 glasses worth?) Peri is that you? Or Sun? Sorry I can't recall. Anyway I saw a few of those and thought of the conversation. Couldn't help but grin... they really overprice those small bottles (bastards!), so it's hard not to go for the big one here. Anyway, I am FINE tonight. You know what? I deserved a drink, I wanted one, and I am having one. And it's okay. It's under control, it's good AL... and I am not binging... for me it's about energy.. and my energy and the energy around me tonight is good.... so it's all good. Simple as that.

Take care guys. Eve, thinking of you tonight. Sure it'll all be fine. Just the airport situation which is kind of strange... timing is what it is. But as I said, once you get there. you are there. And it's ALL fine. There is nothing to worry about.

The weather in Beijing has been nice the last few days. Hanging about at around 10 degrees (Celsius) which is really great for this time of the year. They say it's going to be a milder winter. Last winter was pretty fricking harsh... so might be milder this year after all. Anyway I am enjoying the good weather and spending as much time outdoors as I can.

Peri... enjoy dear. Vera.. Sun.. Jvo... Ms Deebs... St. John.. Vlad.. Lila....

Good night all.

Z

Comment

Oney, it sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this and you are ready to give modding a try. I support you in which ever decision you make. You have your head screwed on the right way and I know that you'll know if it isin't working for you.
          90 days is such a huge achievement -- can't believe it's 3 months!! Well done Oney, you WILL do what is right for you:-)
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Zed aka BB, that sounds pretty scary to me. I don't usually watch the news as it depresses me but I am going to turn it on now to get more info.
            Stay safe and I'm thinking of Eve and her hubby on their way over there.

Comment

DeeBee;478112 wrote: Vladster, how is the tummy today? Is the heater back on?? No light in the loo -- you gotto be kidding me!
              Tummy is fine, it's warmer outside today, so warmer in here, no - no light in the loo, I'm not kidding and there's no window.
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

It seems you've made your choice O2M, glad to hear it!
                Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Coffee and Cigarettes

Here's my fav scene from one of my favourite films EVER.

Try to beat putting Tom Waits and Iggy Pop in the same scene...

I thought of us. We are a funny lot, aren't we?

[ame= ]YouTube - Tom Waits & Iggy Pop - Coffee and Cigarettes[/ame]

"You know the beauty of quitting... is that uhm.. now that I've quit... I can have one."

ha ha. night night.

Comment

Ha Ha Zed -- Iggy is the bomb!!
                    Just had an update on the news, they sure know how to dramatize things don't they!

Comment

Wow, by the time I get here you guys have posted so much it's hard to respond to it all!

Hi to Vera. Limers, limiting Al to the w/e sounds good as long as you don't go too crazy on the w/e. They say that is worse than drinking moderately on a daily basis because it strains your liver. Sounds like you have a plan.

Vlad, good job on two AF days. With Thanksgiving here I won't be AF but hoping to throw some in next week. O2M, welcome. It seems you have done a great job with 90 days and I'm sure you'll have a lot to add to this thread. Jvo, I wish my hubbie's family were cooks. I am the only cook for all holidays here and although it's nice because I ensure the food it great, it is tiring. I still have a lot to do.

Hi starting! DeeBee, I will try the basil near the tomatoes next planting. Lila, I think a lot of us fit into the self critical mold.

Off to make pies and get some medicine at the vet. Everyone have a great day!

Comment

Yeah Deebs, as i said, Eve is fine so long as her flight lands. The airport situation was the only thing that concerned me.. other than that, it's all okay and I've been there. And I've been to many other places where, if you watch the news, you'd think that the world ended.. but it's all okay. People just living, getting through the day...

just like us.

hug. z

signing out.

Comment

Welcome Limers and Oney! Everyone is welcome here. This is a really supportive group. Once we decided to start the thread on Monday's instead of every day it really took off into something special. This thread has taken on a life of I think some pretty intense discussions of what's going on with us. Although we are all in different places with our moderation we support each other and offer advice where appropriate.

Starting, we love hearing from you always!

DeeBee, I love that I get such an education from this site, not only about AL but other stuff too. So now I know that a loo is a toilet... :H and that planting basil with tomatoes brings out the flavor (that's how we spell it here BTW) and it an insect repellant. I had problems with squirrels for years eating my flowers. I heard to spray hot pepper spray on the flowers, but that washed off too quickley. This past spring I had a dream one night that I planted some hot peppers among my flowers and the squirrels didn't like that. So I tried that and sure enough the squirrels left the flowers alone all summer!

Lila, I understand the critical environment, although my mother will defend to her death that she has never been critical, I hear it every time I talk to her. She can sooo push my buttons. I have in the past gotten very drunk when she comes around just to "deal" with the negative stuff she unknowingly puts out. I love her dearly, she's my mom, but I do not need to do that to myself any longer. I am learning that she has her own issues. I am an adult and do not need to get affirmations from my mother to be whole. I hope that you find many ways to overcome your issues with SAD. You area a beautiful person, please don't be so critical of yourself. I have come to know you as a very loving and tender soul.

zed, thanks for the Bangkok update. I will up the ante on my prayers for Eve. It wasn't me who talked about the little wine bottles. You are right they are over-priced. There is no problem here, if a bottle of wine is opened, my hubby will make sure he helps me drink it. :H

Oney, I am a little surprised to hear that you want to try modding only because of some of the posts I have seen from you. I am in full support... tell us more. Do you take any of the supplements? Hypno cd's? meds? just curious. I love you girlfriend! Glad to see you here. I didn't know you will be in NY for Christmas. I too want to be able to have a glass of wine with dinner on occasion. I never want to go back to where I was. I never want to have a hangover again. I never again want to be feeling like I'm crawling out of "the fog" those first few days sober after I've been drinking for how many years?

I'm brand new at modding. I know that if it doesn't work out for me it will be back to AF forever. So Oney and Limers, and all the other modders, we can do this together! And we will be here for each other to help each through.

Hi ducky! What kind of pies are you making? I like fruity pies. or chocolate or peanut butter pie. yummy!

periwinkle :l
                          Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Hi Peri,

There will only be 5 of us (boring!) so one pumpkin and one pecan. Next week I am going to make an apple and perhaps some sort of chocolate cream pie since hubby has been bugging me for one.

I like almost any pie!

Comment

Hey- Happy Turkey Eve to all. Speaking of Eve-there is a reason for everything that happens. Trust and be at peace with whatever may come. Bangkok will be there for you to visit another time.

Welcome Limers-oh how I wish to visit Ireland someday. My Grandmother was from there and I would love to trace my roots.

zed, where is the Middle Kingdom, please? State of mind? Loved the video of Tom Waits and Iggy. Been listening to Tom forever and Iggy and I met when I worked with Frank Zappa in the eighties.
                              I'm planning on modding tomorrow. No more than 2 but a part of me knows that I don't need to drink if I don't feel like it. Allowing it to be o.k. not to drink is a whole new concept for me.
                              Hubby is settling down somewhat-even apologized for his crankiness!

Congrats Oney on 90 days AF! That is a major success !:goodjob:

Off to clean and cook and crank up the blues on the c.d. player!
                              Toughen up!

Comment

Hi Peri-forgot to say hi to you. Did yoga yesterday and thought of you! Blessings to you.
                                Toughen up!

Comment

Working...
                                X