Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 24th Nov

Are you all packed O2M???

Got to buy hubby a hat for Christmas, in Feb we are going to Finland. He says, 'I want a hat that covers my ears, but not one that looks stupid!'

Thanks.
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hi all- just left the kitchen for the 1st time in 5 hours. Turkeys in the oven and all is under control-except for me! I'm havng major anxiety! Don't know why other than the pressure of the holiday, oldest home from college, etc. etc. I am going for a long soak in the hot tub as it is raining here and a bit of chamomile tea. I am NOT going to go back to the bloody mary-segue-to wine habit that usually prevails on the holidays. That is the old me. Think of me my friends as I will of you.

gettingbetter- your words of wisdom about drinking a glass of wine with the feast only if you are under control were music to me. Im will be humming that to myself today checking to see if that wine is beckoning me because I am stressed or if it will be enjoyable with the meal and to share with those around the table. Thank you.
      Toughen up!

Comment

Thanks St. John and Hi Everyone,

St. John, I hope your bath and tea helped...

I seem to have gotten the worst of my anxiety out of the way yesterday, although this morning I felt horrible for criticizing my sweet nine year old son when he was trying to help out in the kitchen and made a mess of things. It was a gentle criticism, but it came from my own tension about getting things right before my mom arrived. Ironically, I dread her criticism...so I try not to be critical of my own kids, and then this...Anyway, he and I both recovered pretty quickly. Dinner was good, I let go of the stress, and I felt in a good place to have a glass of wine. Over the course of the big meal, and lots of talking and serving others, I had a second glass. It felt fine, and I didn't want more. In fact, I started to feel really tired, and I didn't want to make that feeling worse.

I can't say I loved the day...I felt a little down. I miss my dad, who died three years ago, and I felt somehow unsatisfied with the whole experience of cooking a feast for just mom, my husband and kids, and my somewhat depressed brother in law. But at any rate, I felt that my drinking was not a problem, and I didn't get drunk by any means, and I won't feel any effects tomorrow...So I guess it was a pretty successful day, from that perspective.

Hope everyone else is well, and I'll check in tomorrow.
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

hi Getting Better
          It is good to talk about it. I have a sweet boy too.
          I had a very nice Thanksgiving. I was thinking about how critical I am of myself, and then I thought of people I knew, and all the awful things they have done, and why I just get on myself. Not like I have ever even done anything bad, anything too bad. More like just dumb. It was just a thought I had; like we are all human, why do I think I have to be perfect, and nobody else is either. At least no one I know.
          I probably drank too much wine, but it was that kind of day - an all day party.
          Thank you all for being here!!!
          Zed, I really...don't know what to say, just that I hope everything is okay, although it is not. I am so glad to hear your family is okay. My thoughts are with you.
          Love you all, Modders!
          Lila

Comment

Thanksgiving ala DB style was just lovely last night. We really spent time together as a family and luckily the storm held out until we had finished braaing. Hubby and I had a backgammon tournament and he just beat me at the end -- the two of us are quite competitive when we play lol!

Today is a crazy day for me. My daughter finished school extra early today so that they can get all zooshed up for the farewell dance tonight. I must do some cooking and baking this afternoon for a dinner we are having at my husbands partners house. Tomorrow is my daughter's birthday party and we are taking the girls to Paintball, out for dinner and they are all sleeping over so I'll be pooped come Sunday.

I am feeling rather blue at the moment and can't figure out why so i am not going to spend much time at my 'puter today as I think I need to get out and get some fresh air. Financial worries are probably a huge factor so I will try and deal with that in a productive manner.

Hugs to all -- hope you are all having a fantastic friday:-)
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Morning Deebs, sorry you're feeling blue!
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Morning Vladster!! What you up to?
                The sun has finally decided to show it's pretty face -- so the day is looking up.
                Now if only I'll get paid in time for a frigging change that would lighten the mood dramatically.
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Working, well supposed to be anyway. But it's cold again in the office and they keep leaving the door open.

Think the boss has been arguing with his partner again, there is a mattress and quilt on the boardroom floor. Seriously.

Comment

DeeBee;479461 wrote: Morning Vladster!! What you up to?
                    The sun has finally decided to show it's pretty face -- so the day is looking up.
                    Now if only I'll get paid in time for a frigging change that would lighten the mood dramatically.
                    Dee bee , for Gods sake...wheres the big bird! Im not going to be able to say to ya ' youve got some neck!' anymore!!!!:upset:

Comment

vlad;476510 wrote: Hi Ducky, great to hear from you again. A stone is 14 pounds. I only want to lose 9 pounds - how hard can it be??? I've managed to get to 8 stone 9 but don't seem to be able to shift the other 6, it appears at the weekend I just pile it all on again!!! I'm still trying to do my half hour walks each day and I've been good and done today's.

And hi again Starts.
                      what height are you Vlad...8st 9lb sounds very light to me!

Comment

limers;479644 wrote: what height are you Vlad...8st 9lb sounds very light to me!
                        5 foot. I'm 8st 10?lbs today.

Comment

limers;479641 wrote: Dee bee , for Gods sake...wheres the big bird! Im not going to be able to say to ya ' youve got some neck!' anymore!!!!:upset:
                          lmfao!! I thought I'd get festive

Comment

Hi all;

This is such a great group. I woke up and read the newspaper and thought : Now I've got to know where Eve is . . . I read this thread and am comforted that she is not in Thailand! Based on Zed's earlier advice I was trying not to worry, but today's paper made clear this situation is different than before so Thanks ST. John for letting us know.

Zed: congrats on your 1st AF month. I started in January w/ 21 AF days, and for me that was the start of a (so far) successful modding stint. Do talk to us though about India . . . when those attacks take place in places you know so well, numbing is the first reaction . . it might not be practical to 'just look ahead'. Reminds me a bit of our Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Very frightening and upsetting. Talk to us when you're ready. . .

Welcome Limers and GettingBetter. This thread is unusual in that folks write quite long posts and address each other most every day. But it is very inclusive, even of those of us who stop in once or twice a week. Ducky's advice to jump in is perfect. Besides lots of support about modding, this is a mini-world wide community, so I've learned LOTS about the folks here, and where they live.

My thanksgiving was small and quite nice. Just one neighbor and one of my daughter's friends, my 14 y/o daughter and me. Best news is the house is decluttered and clean which does wonders for my soul.

I went to a Thanksgiving yoga class where we did a special meditation bringing forth, in thanksgiving, those who at different points in our lives loved us and were committed to our growth, happiness and success. It was very powerful to dedicate a set of asanas (poses) to a person for each decade of our lives. The concept was that we can only come to our full potential as givers, if we fully accept the love and good wishes others have for us. The visual is that we want to become like a permeable membrane, resting back against those who support us with their love, and allowing our love forward to those to whom we commit. It was very moving, but something I want to continue to think about.

Know that all of you were are in my prayers and reasons to be grateful.

Best to all who come.
                            Fondly,

Ask

Comment

Hi everyone,
                              Yesterday started off fine. I walked on the treadmill to make sure any residual stress I had from work this week, dissipated (sp?) Anyhow, family and I went over to family in-laws for turkey day. Everyone was drinking vodka and cranberry juice as their pre-dinner drinks. I had to ask if there was wine and of course there was. (they've got a huge bar, lots of drinks to choose from). I drank 2 1/2 prior to dinner (not any different from what others were drinking) then another biggy with dinner. I feel as though that's a classic binge for me. Last night when we got home, I not only felt like my stomach would explode, I also had a massive headache that not only was in my head but went down to my neck. I'm so disappointed in myself. I didn't drink slowly, but I also didn't drink fast. Oh well. I'm feeling a little depressed right now. I've cried on your shoulders enough.

Zed, I hope family is well, and we are all praying for you.

Modders, have a happy Friday.
                              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Thanks Ask. You are very kind.

In Mumbai and India, we have been witness to several terrorist attacks over the last 15-odd years. I remember in 1993 when a series of coordinated bomb blasts ripped through many parts of the city, including the Stock Exchange building, killing thousands. And since then there have been many more deadly attacks, highly coordinated and deadly time and time again, involving bombs and the killing of hundreds of innocents in Mumbai itself, the latest being this one on Weds. What's different with this week's attack is that it has been a prolonged affair. As I write this it still continues. It involves hostages. And some of Mumbai's most cherished landmarks, such as the Taj Hotel, that every person to have lived or visited Bombay has entered, to escape the heat, if for no other reason. Not just a 'hotel'... but a place of childhood memories... of historic value.. national pride...and memories beyond. Every time I am in Mumbai, without fail, I make a visit to the Taj Hotel... and the last time, in July, I took my companion, on her first visit to India, there. We sat in the lobby for a while and visited the famous bookstore... now the scene of carnage and murder. Or the Victoria Terminus Railway Station, another landmark and scene of attacks on Wednesday night... where hundreds of thousands of Mumbai's city residents travel through every day... possibly the busiest railway station in the world. And from where I have caught a train many dozens of times. We know these spots like the back of our hands, these places are like extensions of our homes in many ways. We have taken our families there, laughed there, dined there, proposed marriage there... it's a strange feeling, then, one fine day, when there are fire-fights and gun battles going on, and hostages, and bodies and explosions (with no end to it) in these very same places.

So that's it. But I think most thinking Indians (and thankfully there are more thinking Indians than unthinking ones) realize that the issues that caused these attacks are very, very complicated. Our national government have stubbornly stuck to failed policies, like in places such as Kashmir, that have caused suffering and generations of displacement, humiliation, the harassment of, and untold trouble to moderate people.... who it seems have had no recourse but to become extreme.... out of sheer desperation. It's hard to judge others if you can put yourselves in their shoes... and imagine what it would be like to see your home or your village burned down, your family killed... by an army or police force. So, these issues are very complicated, just as they are in every part of the world. Of course, that's not to condone any act of terrorism of course... in no way is it meant to. But, one realizes that these issues have deep roots, and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' in many ways... if I am to be really honest and objective. We are all wrong. It's a whole world gone wrong.

But as Gandhi said... an eye for an eye... makes the whole world blind. And what amazes me time and time again in moments such as these, is how resilient the people of my city are... the sheer struggles of daily life... the rains, the heat, the economy, strife in so many ways... and that's the fortunate amongst us... a lot of our citizens have even less... but yet, the unabashed Faith and Joy that they profess... that is apparent every time I go home and see the city and it's people... it's truly awe-inspiring to me.

It is a place of the Unvanquished. We get kicked, hit, we get beaten down... daily... in ways that are unimaginable... but we manage to stand again. Somehow. And we really never lose hope. And faith. In the human spirit. In destiny. It's an amazing thing to bear witness to.. to be a part of. So empowering.

The good news is that I made it through today (Friday night) without a drink. Yoohooo! Amazing. Partly of course because the liquor store is now closed, it's past closing time. But to give myself credit, I thought about it earlier and decided not to. And I was outside for dinner with a friend and I stayed away from a drink then too. Much so because I thought to myself that the energy is not right.. I am in a state of mourning for my home city... and a drink tonight would have been about drowning sorrows and about being upset... and not about enjoying it. SO I stuck to one of our Mod Rules... (to paraphrase: it's important to always drink for the right reasons... not the wrong ones)... and it was a success. Largely thanks to the many things I have learned from the Mod Squad, and the inspiration and support I have gotten from the folks here.

So cheers.

Ok, time to get a last update, and then go to bed. Tomorrow I have a dinner party. Will be interesting... not really in the mood to go out/ be social, but I have no choice... cannot bail out at this stage... anyway, I'll get through it and make it fun.

Cheers all you guys out there. Have fun folks. Stay positive... hope this post wasn't a downer... we all have our troubles to deal with... and that's the way it is. No place is special in that sense. That's for sure.

Deebers, I love your new long-necked turkey avatar! Lol!

zed

Comment

Working...
                                X