Mod Squad Weekly Thread December 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pfeffern?sse (also spelled pfefferneuse in English, in Danish: pebern?dder (plural) and pepernoten in Dutch; singular Pfeffernuss) are small, hard, round biscuits with ground nuts.
    The name translates to pepper nuts in German, Danish and Dutch, describing their spicy taste as well as the fact that many recipes actually call for almonds or walnuts and a small amount of black pepper to be used.
    Pepernoten are originally a Dutch treat[citation needed], baked during 'Sinterklaas', a feast on 5 December (6 December in Belgium) on which little children receive gifts from the holy St. Nicholas, the original of and the inspiration for Santa Claus. In Germany, Pfeffern?sse are traditionally made during the Christmas season.
    Recipes often call for the dough to be rounded into a ball. Today they are often produced with a chocolate base.
    Like most baked goods, there are many variations of pfeffern?sse. While most recipes call for cloves and cinnamon, some also use nutmeg or anise. A Danish recipe for pebern?dder requires white pepper, while most international recipes call for black pepper. Some versions of pfeffern?sse contain pecans, ginger, or cardamom.
    In Southern Germany, they are known as Eiwei?geb?ck. They are also known as "Pimpern?sse" in some places.
    They are very popular at church concert receptions, especially around Christmas time.[citation needed]
    German Pfeffern?sse are often confused with Russian tea cakes because they are a similar shape and are both generally covered in powdered sugar, but they are radically different internally.

LONG I know but that's what they are. I am making a version w/o nuts. Yum.

Comment

Checking In

Hi all you proliferate modsters:

It's my day off and I've been on line for almost two hours catching up on the MWO boards. So many friends,so little time .. . or is it really an addiction? some of both I'd guess. I do find inspiration and words of wisdom in your posts, so thanks for the openess and friendship here.

I'm kind of glad the 'long weekend of Thanksgiving' is over. We had a nice small Thanksgiving, very, very moderate in all ways, but as a single Mom with family far away I find the holidays difficult - Thanksgiving in particular as we've just not found an annual tradition that works for us.

I've been pretty cranky for the past few days and both my 14 year old daughter and the cat have known to steer clear, although the cat has been acting up royally. I've locked him out of my bedroom so I could listen to my CD's in peace, and he retaliated by knocking over a lamp and breaking a candy dish the first night. Guess when Mama's not happy no one is happy. I'm having a "beauty day' today w/ manicure and hair highlights . . as I do believe it is important to put your self first at times. I also plan to spend some time getting into a new novel I've bought. .. another form of "escape" that I enjoy. hoping this bad mood lifts soon. Maybe I need to exercise more too?

Anyway, don't mean to be a downer, just wanted to check in - let you know I'm still with you, and will check in again soon.
      Fondly,

Ask

Comment

hi Ask
        I know what you mean by addiction! What book are you reading? I am jealous - sounds like you have a nice day planned.
        Lila

Comment

Hi Ask,

Sorry you are feeling down. I understand the holiday stuff. I am not single (was for a long time though) but we live far away from my family with only my in laws close. I was raised with big, chaotic (and of course AL filled) holidays so it feels odd with such a small crew, and - frankly - BORING. Oh well...

I have a crazy cat too. The other day we were preparing bratwurst to grill and he knocked one off the counter and ran away with it!

Comment

Ducky, thank you for the long explanation on the baked goods. I'm not sure that I've ever had one but they sound amazing. I think I would like the ones with the nuts. I had a great laugh with the cat running off with the brat though.

Hi Ask, Sounds like a good time for you to do something good for yourself too. Good that you are doing that! It is really important. Sorry about the naughty little kitty, although it did make me smile a little (sorry).

We have a standard poodle. He is not allowed on the furniture and is very good at obeying that rule unless we aren't looking. I caught him snuggled up on the sofa today. He just looked at me like, "Oh crap, I'm busted!" Then slinked off quite slowly like I might not have noticed, all the time making direct eye contact with me. I love animals! They are so funny!

That reminds me... zed the only thing I have ever thought about that I might like to come back as would be a dog. But I've had to qualify that I would want to be in a loving home, not an abusive one. Can I do that?

periwinkle :dog:
            Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Hey Everyone,
              I only have a minute...All the kids are in the bath across the hall, after a whipped cream and strawberries party. They had a lot of fun smooshing their faces into mounds of whipped cream to get to the strawberries...Just another day in the life of a mom.

I've been a bit depressed today...I think it's the aftermath of drinking three Manhattans on Monday night. The hang over only lasted a day, but my mood is low, and I suspect that's why. Maybe a little S.A.D. for me, too. I'm not going to drink tonight, or tomorrow...Perhaps two glasses of wine Friday when my sister visits and two on Saturday. Then, yes, AF for two weeks. Hubby leaves for Singapore on Friday.

Does the All One really help? I go back and forth between being a believer and a skeptic. My MD told me not to take supplements or multi-vitamins, but just to eat well. But he's not a progressive guy by any means. I'm thinking I could use my two weeks as a single parent to go on a real health kick...Get the supps, take the Kudzu, and listen to the CDS. I fell asleep listening to "clearing" last night...Very peaceful. Well, duty calls...Three little boys need to be wrapped up in towels. G.B.
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

:lThank you all for the big welcome! :thanks:

DeeBee- I have been reading posts like you suggested. I think I got a plan. I went to the drink tracker and began...tracking and setting up my mod plan for the rest of the month. I posted a thread askeing if I got the drink tracker thingee down. Although I will have to edit it tomorrow because I have opened a bottle of wine. But Im ok...it's all I have and me and hubby are drinking it now, (oohh laa laa) so what's that like 2 glasses each?

Periwinkle-Thanks for the welcome. I've posted with you on other threads. I'm a big fan!:thanks:

Zed- I think. I would like to be a bird...even though I'm afraid of heights. I guess I would just like to be flying high without all the bullsh*@!

Ask- I love that you locked your cat out. Sometime I wish I could do that to DH.

See you all tomorrow

:l
                :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

Happy Hump Day Modderators,

Boy, this beautiful thread has grown so. First, Deebs, the cut and color went swimmingly. I'm a big believer in self love, and getting my hair done regularly makes me feel good. My hair is very fine and thin, so looks best in a basic bob which needs to be trimmed every 6 weeks to maintain its style. The color is a combo of highlights, lowlights, headlights and some Christmas lights thrown in the mix. Just say it keeps me lit.

I'm getting used to my faster walking pace which is the only way to stay warm as our weather gets colder. I was thinking this morning about the holidays, modding, drinking, eating, how much fun it was to indulge last week but how wonderful it feels to be back in my stride this week. In the old Vera days, any occasion - like Zed's social weekend, or Eve's vacation, or a holiday would send me straight back to old, tired patterns (mostly eating and drinking too much). Now, even though the holidays meant a little extra of everything (I didn't go crazy on anything) I was so glad to get back to "normal." The difference? After fully embracing MWO and practicing it all these months, it occured to me that I'm paying far more attention to how things FEEL. Yes, the extra dessert is yummy for a short time, but it does make me feel rather sluggish. And the wine certainly went down with glee, but we all know we're just not as sharp nor do we sleep as well with even a couple of drinks. As long as I listen to my body, I feel that long term moderation of everything, including AL, will be a reality. With my stepped up exercising, I've already taken off the extra couple of pounds I put on last week. So, my thought was that we could all benefit by keeping a close watch on how foods/drinks/exercise make us feel. I think it was Starts whose friend said nothing tastes as good as thin feels. Just something to consider.

Vlad, in your case, it sounds like your work surroundings are making you feel
                  cold. This is a highly sophisticated analysis, based on my 6 years of clinical research on the subject, but it sounds to me like you'd benefit from - are you ready for this? - heat. Yes, I think your boss should break down and heat your building. Remind him/her that while the globe is warming, it's not to a comfortable temp just yet. Just a suggestion. Long underwear works, too.

Thank you all for giving me a good reason to think about how I treat this bag of bones. I've gotten so excited about taking care of myself that I started exfoliating (face). But that's for another thread (beauty secrets?) on another day. Hope everyone finds something to laugh about tomorrow. :H

Vera-b

Comment

Vera
                    I am ALL for a beauty secrets and fashion thread! Your haircut sounds great. Sometimes that is the best therapy of all.
                    Lila

Comment

hey Getting Better
                      WHy doesn't your doctor want you taking supps? Maybe he is right, I don't know, but food is all funny these days, and is trucked in, etc, etc, you know, not as nutritious as it was in times past...and there are threads here about people raving about ALLONE, I am taking it, maybe it is helping. I am just wondering why he says no.
                      Lila

Comment

Morning Modders!

I am up bright and early today -- figures... I only need to get going at 10am today so I wake up at 5am!
                        It's the daughter's prizegiving this morning so she's faffing with her new fringe and I'm dickying myself up for the work function which I have to dash to straight afterwards. I'm quite looking forward to it, it's a blast every year. Seafood buffet and lots of gifts. Because it's the hospitality industry all the hotels and game farms give away 3 nights accomodation and last year I won a wonderful weekend away for hubby and I FOR FREE!
                        Yes there will be lots of drinking and dancing but I'm keeping it tidy this year and will be AF... now I must just decied what AF drink I'm going to order before hand so that I have my plan in place.

Ducky those biscuit things sound like a treat - do you have a recipe you could share with me? This year we are not buying Xmas presents for any adults so I am making treats for everyone which I'll box beautifully and give to all.

Hi Ask! When I'm down I find the boards definetly lift my spirit -- stick with us and we'll help you thro. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be a single Mom with no family nearby.... stay close to us and we'll keep you busy, k! Enjoy pamper day!

GB my Doc is a young female who is very with the times. She suggested me taking Milk Thistle (so does the MWO book) to detox the liver, I can't tell you the difference it made. My Doc did tests when I first went to her and again 3 months later and she told me that the results were amazing -- looked like I had a new liver. I don't take them regularly anymore but if I do have a couple of toots it's the suppliment I pop the next day.
                        I am a huge believer in all the supps and vitamins which are recommended for the program -- I can't say for sure which ones work and which don't as I pop a handfull of them each day but one that has definetly helped is the 5-HTP... it is great for lifting the mood, anxiety and sleep.

Jamm, good on your for getting a plan together. Like I mentioned before tho you will revise it as you go along. The DT is a great tool if used honestly -- which does hurt sometimes -- I have changed my DT to units instead of no of drinks so that it's more accurate. If you would like more info on how many units you are drinking and how many are recommended there is a great website (which I can't think of right now) but Vladster will know it.... I was horrified when I checked how many units I was actually drinking as my wine glasses are more like mini buckets and the AL content was quite high.

Vera I so enjoyed your post! Yes I too am fully embracing living life in MODERATION. A chocolate here and there, an afternoon spent on the couch, the odd fattening dinner - yip all's okay as long as it is in moderation.

Vladster, good luck at the Doc today -- I hope they figure out what is up with that itch -- let us know, k!

Hi Lila, Peri, Zed, Renewal, St J and anyone I might have forgotten -- have a great day today!
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Blessings to all my modders! Last night was a 3 hour Opera- Don Pasquale with my BFF and then a late sup and 2 wines. It was wonderful- good music, friendship and food. Bit of a headache today but am looking forward to a fieldtrip with my 9 yr. old to the Symphony.

DeeBee- I love all of your colloquialisms- faffing (dolling up?) fringe (bangs?) dickying-up(????)
                          What is your daughter's prizegiving for? Have a great time, souds like you have a good mod plan in line.

Gettingbetter- I feel that supps an only help you. I started a regime in Sept. when I started MWO and take 14 vites and amino acids a day incl. L-glut. I definately see improvement in skin, hair, sleep and energy. Of course it helps not drinking a bottle of wine a night! Am lifting weights, doing cardio and
                          yoga. Its all good!
                          Well my pals, have a great day. Anyone heard from renewal?

Blessings-
                          your ST. J
                          Toughen up!

Comment

morning modders!
                            Today I am going to be productive!!!!
                            Deebs that is great about your liver. Yesterday I forgot to take supps, I will be sure to take everything today. Hi St John, are you going along with the school, on the bus? That is fun, and it is wonderful how kids appreciate an adult. I think I will do that - I haven't yet this year.
                            Lila

Comment

Hi Deebee, StJ, Lila and the rest of the modders.

DeeBee here is the recipe I used. It is from Martha Stewart. I doubled the recipe and had no trouble but I do have a good quality standing mixer.

Pfeffernussen

The snowy sugar surface of Pfeffernussen contrasts with the peppery flavor of these German cookies.

INGREDIENTS

Makes 3 dozen.

1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
                              2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
                              1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
                              3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
                              1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
                              1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
                              1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
                              1/4 teaspoon baking soda
                              1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
                              3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
                              1 large egg
                              1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
                              1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
                              DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the confectioners' sugar in a brown paper bag.
                              In a medium bowl, combine flour, pepper, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and baking soda. Set aside.
                              Place butter, brown sugar, and molasses in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Pinch off dough in tablespoon amounts; roll into 1 1/4-inch balls. Arrange balls 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. (Dough can be frozen at this point, covered tightly with plastic wrap, up to 1 month.)
                              Bake until cookies are golden and firm to the touch with slight cracking, about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer sheets to a wire rack to cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Working in batches, place cookies in paper bag; shake until well coated. Let cool completely on wire rack. Store in an airtight container.

Comment

Sorry if I hogged up mods space with that. I probably should have sent it to DeeBee privately!

Comment

Working...
                                X