Mod Squad Weekly Thread December 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't want it GB, I wanted a beer tonight after youth club but it was late and I just had a coffee. Now I'm off to bed. AF for me and on a Friday as well - a first in months.
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

The seltzer and cranberry sounds very refreshing by the way, wish I'd had one instead of coffee!
      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Where are you GB? Better not be drinking that wine... :H

Comment

Hi Crew,
          I've taken a few days off from posting here. You already know that the general level of drinking reported here over Thanksgiving kind of threw me. It did not include everyone, but it did make me feel like I don't belong in this group so much. But I do read your posts every day, and enjoy knowing how you are all doing.

I continue to relish the fact that I am now drinking very infrequently. I know I won't drink this weekend, I haven't since Thanksgiving, and I relish the fact that I have all of the weekend available to me to do things I enjoy. I probably won't also won't drink next weekend, or anytime in between, unless an event comes up. I am having 2-3 friends at my home in a couple of weeks, and we will share wine. I will also have some at Christmas, which we will spend at relatives for a few days, and also New Year's. To me, this is normal drinking.

Vera-b, it just struck me a day or two ago that your screen name is really Vera Bradley! Duh! All those cute quilted bags, I can just see you carrying one with your new "do". I actually don't own one, but enjoy the cheaper knock-offs. I have a very nice quilted bag I use to carry my papers to/from work. Got it for 10 bucks at Tuesday Morning (shop), it was sold as a diaper bag! Ha! (as Iad would say). So now the fashionista is exposed. Are you really going to offer make-up suggestions? Now in my mid-fifties, I just started (maybe a year ago) using some of those mineral powder products from WalMart. There was a Bare Essentials thread going for awhile here, but I tried posting once and they ignored me.

Well, it's not too late, I think I'm going to start the book, Three Cups of Tea. It has been on the NY Times bestseller list recently. I've got my cup of tea and the gas fireplace is toasty.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

A big hello

Hi Gang,
            Behind the times as I haven't had time to read all of your posts here but just wanted to let you know we fly home today (a long 20+ hour flight) so we'll be back home soon and back into the routine.
            The vacation went well - no hangovers or overdoing it although we did drink daily which we never do when we're living our real lives.
            Looking forward to catching up with everyone. Very strange to know that my today is your yesterday (for those in the good old U.S.A.).
            Talk to you all soon!
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Vlad...Thanks for asking after me. No, I kept to the one glass of wine. I'm so glad...Now the kids are going to bed, and I can stay awake and read for a while, all clear-headed.

Hi Sunbeam, that does sound like normal drinking. That's the kind of pattern I want, too. But I'm not there yet emotionally/psychologically. I still think of wine when I feel stressed or anxious. I usually don't use it at times like that, but I think of it. I am trying to find other ways to deal with those feelings...or, at times, to just to accept them, and not try so hard to escape them. Do you mind sharing what you are doing for supplements or medication? Sounds like something's working for you...or is it strictly psychological/behavioral? I guess I should go back and read some of your old posts...I'm relatively new here.

I expect to have one or two glasses of wine tomorrow night, since I'll have mom and sister here, and they both drink wine...I would like to sip slowly, and have that sense of comaraderie, but not get really buzzed. My husband is leaving tomorrow morning for a long business trip. I want to be alcohol free while he is gone, as I've mentioned before. I expect I'll post a lot, especially around 5pm ! Good night, all. Sara
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

hi alll
                Sunbeam, I posted a lot on that thread, I hope I didn't make you feel ignored. I hope you don't go away...I know what you mean, and the holidays, well, they are off the routine days...
                Hi Eve, very glad to hear you are well. Did you see anything newsworthy? I understand Thailand gets quite violent every few years, as they continue to fight for democracy.
                Getting Better, I know what you mean! My problem is that I have a bunch of SIGNIFICANT stresses in my life, and right now feel very lost and confused sort of, and not motivated, Not motivated to do anything. If you are inspired to make changes, that is great. Really really great.
                Sorry to post so moodily,...but I am moody.
                Vlad that is GREAT!!!
                goodnight all!
                Lila

Comment

I wonder if as a group we might want to post some life goals?

Comment

Hi everybody,
                    Just checking and and read over posts quickly as I have to get to bed to do concession stand at my son's basketball game tomorrow morning (yes, only day to sleep in and can't!).

I'm glad to see you're all doing well.

I think it was Peri that mentioned about school academics vs. behavior. I've had a rough couple of days with students. I teach 8th grade, and the mentality of our school principals is very sad - let the children do whatever they feel - they don't get it at home. BS. They are ruling our school and being as insubordinate to teachers and others and it's a disgrace. I went home crying yesterday for one half hour of cafeteria duty. I was never in my 17 years disrespected as I was yesterday. It saddens me not to feel the support of administration as we should. Sorry for going off on that. But grades and behavior are not rewarded equally. It's a sad shame. That we, as teachers are doing everything we can to teach our children, but don't need to be respected the same. I'm really sad now.

Vera B- are you a vera bradley girl? Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Vera Bradley and have some of her pieces. I use my purse everyday - same one for a year and bought a computer bag for work also. Love it, feel good with it.
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

J-vo, that is too bad! Sorry to hear that. And now there are budget cuts as well...I assume we are in the same state for some reason, some things you have said, but maybe not. Other students I am sure don't feel safe either with a lack of leadership.

Comment

Morning Modders!

It is overcast and the mist is rolling in -- a lovely morning to lie in bed with a cup of coffee and catch up on some reading (and MWO!).
                        Hubby is away on his "Boys" Golf weekend. He called last night to tell me he had won a R1000 bet. The guys took a bet that DH couldn't swim across the river in a triangle .... bearing in mind this is at an exclusive golf course. He couldn't resist -- he never can!( and was obviously filled with dutch courage) so off he went and did it... I am apparently R1000 richer for it LOL!! I imagine he has a VERY sore head this morning so I have every intention of waking him up early to pay for it.

Peri, what is white chilli? I hope you do post a recipe as I'm intrigued.
                        My MIL read about Indigo children a while ago and she thinks that my daughter is one. I never got around to reading the book until now (was too busy wasting time on AL).
                        They are often mislabeled with the psychiatric diagnoses of Attention Deficit with Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).... which is my daugher. Sadly, when they’re medicated, The Indigos often lose their beautiful sensitivity, spiritual gifts and warrior energy. Doreen Virtue wrote about the Indigos at length in her book, The Care and Feeding of Indigo Children. I also recommend The Indigo Children and An Indigo Celebration or check out the website Doreen Virtue | official Angel Therapy Web site | Angel Therapy Articles

Thanks Ducky, confectioners sugar will be icing sugar then. I am going to stay at my parents place tonight, my sister and I have both made Xmas cakes for the first time so we are going to ice them and try our hand at some fancy decorations -- should be a blast!

Lila, I too have had a friend leave recently because of all the nastyness -- I hope that it comes to an end soon but I am gratefull that it has NOT touched this thread in any way. Trying to ignore what is going on is not always easy especially when I am feeling a bit rattled but I refuse to let a couple of bad eggs ruin my omlette.

Eve, have a safe flight home -- can't wait to hear your news.

GB, Have you tried out "chat" yet? It helped me enormously when hubby went away or if I was battelling with cravings.... or just a general chat -- it's great for distracting yourself from AL. Feel free to send me a PM anytime you want to chat and I'll hop on.

Congrats on AF Friday Vlad! Any positive news on the work front or will you only know on Monday? I hope and pray that everything works out for the best:-)

Sun, Please stick around!! You are so very important to me and to this group. I understand that you have to make yourself priority but also know how valuable and inspiration you are to us as a person.

Lila, it's interesting that you asked about life goals. I NEVER had any before joining here. At the beginning of each year I would say to myself "this year will be different" but I didn't have specifics. I told my Mom last night what my 5 year plan is -- I am super excited about it and I just know that it's going to come true. Amongst other things I will be SOBER. my life will be lived in MODERATION and I will be an organic farmer. I will be financially stable (not rich) and spiritually aware. I will be happy, healthy and in love with life.

J-Vo, that just sucks big time. The administration is not doing the kids any favours by letting them get off with that sort of behaviour -- I'm so sorry you have to put up with it! My daugher goes to Grade 8 next year so she is at the same age as you teach -- if not controlled or taught the correct way of communicating her needs she will become a disrespectfull hulligan. My daughter is going to a school called Waldorf next year -- it is very similar to the Montassorris (sp?) schools in that there is no heirachy with the teachers... everyone is taught to respect one another and take responsibility for their actions. Their whole approach to learning is also totally different to main stream schooling.
                        As a parent and a fellow Mum, I really admire the job you are trying to do!

WHO IS VERA BRADLEY???
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Today I am grateful to have a garden to appreciate, grow and nurture. Many people do not have this necessity and I often look at the task of keeping it clean and tidy as such a chore -- silly me -- it is a great form of exercise and so peacefull listening to the birds chipper away. It brings me joy when I see my seeds sprouting, flowers blooming and fruit growing bigger and bigger. I love my garden, especially in the summer.
                          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

hi DeeBee
                            I really like your goals. We have a spot on our lawn that would make a nice garden. I don't like exercising if there is no point to it - you know, getting on a hamster machine - but maybe gardening, that sounds great, and having real veggies, not trucked in stuff, to eat.
                            Lila

Comment

Hi Lila, Vera-b, DeeBee,

Lila, sorry to hear your friend has left. I try to ignore things when they get a little crazy and so far my thick skin has helped. I also can read some of the more dicey posts without taking offense. Wonder what that says about me...I will think about life goals. Good topic.

DeeBee, I'll bet your hubbie is suffering today. My dad was once bet that he could not waterski across the lake, from the bar to our campsite, without falling. He was so sure he could he skied in his clothes, minus the shoes. He fell in right by shore, having almost made it, and his money had to be dried out.

Who is vera bradley? I too want to know.

Survived the neighborhood party w/o going overboard last night. Had three glasses of wine, spaced out. One of my neighbors was slurring and hanging on everyone. It made me sad to think that I have looked like that many times in the past at these parties...

Hope everyone has a great day. I am trying a new cookie recipe for rum meltaways. There is just a little rum in the dough so it shouldn't pose a problem.

Comment

Oh and hi getting and Sunbeam, and everyone else. Sunbeam, sorry you were feeling you didn't belong. I guess that is why there was originally a monthly thread versus a long term thread for folks like you who have it down. I know we moved because of that game in monthly but hope you feel you can post with us.

Comment

Working...
                                X