Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 8th December

Hi guys,
    It was hard to post on the drinktracker as I'm not used to daily drinking and thought I could be stronger with not drinking daily on vacation. The difference with this one (as opposed to others) is there was a free happy hour from 5-7 with great appetizers that made a meal and our dinners were spent there and it was so easy to just have 2 glasses (even despite all the good advice from my caring friends to just have spritzers or AL free drinks on various nights). Their sauv. blanc wine was to die for. So tastey and no sulfites that gave any HA or even lazy effect the next day. Remember I've posted how AL demotivates hubby and me the next morning with even just one. With this particular Aussie wine...no problem! Unfortunately we can't get it in the states yet (or maybe that should be "fortunately" LOL!) Our last night with our Aussie friends we partied a little more than usual and I had 4. So, the drinktracker post was tough but I followed through!

Never felt hung over or too drunk so never got down on myself about it even though I broke my mod rules of no more than 3x weekly drinking. Actually I would feel more down about it if I went on my CA vacation (which we do 3 separate weeks in the summer) and drank nightly from a wine stash at home. I want that habit to change in the future. Don't want to have the bottle of wine sitting at home with the thought I can drink daily because I'm on vacation.

As I've said before, the moderation thing is so subjective. Someone else could be thinking 4 glasses at the most is nothing - moderation to them is 6 nightly and another person could be thinking "wow, moderation for me is only 2 at the most 1 x weekly." We all have our own way of what works for us.
    For me, as long as I'm not slurring, having any of my family comment on my behavior because I've been drinking, don't have a hangover the next day, don't feel anxious or depressed the next day, and can remember EVERYTHING I've done, then my mod plan is working whether I've kept to my 2 with no more than 3x week - my intended goal) or whether I've drunk daily but have kept in control.
    So, I remain humbly a work in progress as WIP so aptly named herself.
    For those of you who asked for more info on Bali - it was tropical and beautiful. 90% hindu and it was very interesting to see how devout they were with their offerings and daily devotions. The people were gracious and humble with the biggest smiles always. Lots of mopeds with families of up to 4 riding on them. Baby in front - dad, mom holding another. They were everywhere. Massages on the beach were $5 American money - pricier places were $10. People hire drivers to take them to tourist sites but the drivers always have ulterior motives as they get paid commissions from higher end tourist trap places so it was always a battle with Dede (our driver) to take us where WE wanted to go. Yet we loved the crazy guy although he wouldn't listen to us!
    We got to witness a bit of an Indian wedding. It was a 3 day affair at the hotel but not uncommon for it to be a 7 day affair. It was beautiful to observe from a distance.
    I fell in love with all of the faces of the little balinese children. So round and brown and beautiful.
    Every night since we've been home I've had the most spiritual, calming dreams.
    Our intention was to go to Bangkok but God closed the door and opened the window. Ducky I thought of you when someone recently posted their sadness at you not being able to have children. I couldn't either but want to share I have the most precious adopted boys. When God closes doors he really does open windows for us. Depends whether we choose to look out or not.
    Blessings & hugs,
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi guys,
      It was hard to post on the drinktracker as I'm not used to daily drinking and thought I could be stronger with not drinking daily on vacation. The difference with this one (as opposed to others) is there was a free happy hour from 5-7 with great appetizers that made a meal and our dinners were spent there and it was so easy to just have 2 glasses (even despite all the good advice from my caring friends to just have spritzers or AL free drinks on various nights). Their sauv. blanc wine was to die for. So tastey and no sulfites that gave any HA or even lazy effect the next day. Remember I've posted how AL demotivates hubby and me the next morning with even just one. With this particular Aussie wine...no problem! Unfortunately we can't get it in the states yet (or maybe that should be "fortunately" LOL!) Our last night with our Aussie friends we partied a little more than usual and I had 4. So, the drinktracker post was tough but I followed through!

Never felt hung over or too drunk so never got down on myself about it even though I broke my mod rules of no more than 3x weekly drinking. Actually I would feel more down about it if I went on my CA vacation (which we do 3 separate weeks in the summer) and drank nightly from a wine stash at home. I want that habit to change in the future. Don't want to have the bottle of wine sitting at home with the thought I can drink daily because I'm on vacation.

As I've said before, the moderation thing is so subjective. Someone else could be thinking 4 glasses at the most is nothing - moderation to them is 6 nightly and another person could be thinking "wow, moderation for me is only 2 at the most 1 x weekly." We all have our own way of what works for us.
      For me, as long as I'm not slurring, having any of my family comment on my behavior because I've been drinking, don't have a hangover the next day, don't feel anxious or depressed the next day, and can remember EVERYTHING I've done, then my mod plan is working whether I've kept to my 2 with no more than 3x week - my intended goal) or whether I've drunk daily but have kept in control.
      So, I remain humbly a work in progress as WIP so aptly named herself.
      For those of you who asked for more info on Bali - it was tropical and beautiful. 90% hindu and it was very interesting to see how devout they were with their offerings and daily devotions. The people were gracious and humble with the biggest smiles always. Lots of mopeds with families of up to 4 riding on them. Baby in front - dad, mom holding another. They were everywhere. Massages on the beach were $5 American money - pricier places were $10. People hire drivers to take them to tourist sites but the drivers always have ulterior motives as they get paid commissions from higher end tourist trap places so it was always a battle with Dede (our driver) to take us where WE wanted to go. Yet we loved the crazy guy although he wouldn't listen to us!
      We got to witness a bit of an Indian wedding. It was a 3 day affair at the hotel but not uncommon for it to be a 7 day affair. It was beautiful to observe from a distance.
      I fell in love with all of the faces of the little balinese children. So round and brown and beautiful.
      Every night since we've been home I've had the most spiritual, calming dreams.
      Our intention was to go to Bangkok but God closed the door and opened the window. Ducky I thought of you when someone recently posted their sadness at you not being able to have children. I couldn't either but want to share I have the most precious adopted boys. When God closes doors he really does open windows for us. Depends whether we choose to look out or not.
      Blessings & hugs,
      Eve11
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

goodmorning Modders
        Eve, I love that expression. Just what I needed to hear this morning. I have lots to do today, going to get to it, and occasionally pop in here as my break.
        Lila

Comment

Hey Sara, damn I was so confused until I caught up with your latest post.
          It's a bummer to loose a post. Yip, I copy and paste as I go.
          Good on you for sticking to your pact with Kid... for me, that is what our thread is all about -- sticking together!

Keep, I just loved your post about thinking how many days next year will be AF -- you have got me thinking, plotting and planning. I never had long term goals before but already I have set myself a 5 year plan and smaller goals for next year (I am going to quit the twaks on the 1st of Feb).

Ducky, dont' feel silly for saying you are AF -- every day AF is a WONDERFUL achievement! Well done!

Peri, I am so happy that the Topa has helped with your migranes... how are you feeling on it? Any side effects?

Sun, that is exactly what I want to do!! Bang on!! I found some horrid HUGE black ants eating my aubergine leaves this morning and all I would think of was to blitz them with vinegar -- any suggestions?
          About the DT, yes I do stay clear of it when i've not met my goals but recently I have found that I get so involved in this thread that I forget to update it.

I had half a glass of wine on Wed night. My daughter is away staying with my parents this week so hubby and I were sitting outside enjoying the sundown, having a braai. I had had a rough day but after giving it some careful consideration and checking that none of the HALT accronym applied to me I decided to have a glass with hubby. Didn't even finish it -- hence the half a glass.
          Then yesterday my best friend aka ex-drinking buddy came around to visit. She finished off 2 and a half bottles of wine!!! I must say tho that I did think of having a glass with her but because I'd had one the night before I decided against it -- thank god because she looked awefully "messy" when she left!!

CS, if you're lurking... Sun said it best -- join us if you think that this is the right place for you -- we really are a wonderful bunch and I know that your experience would be welcomed here.

Kid, I think it's a great idea to get some form of a pact going... especially at this time of the year when our routines are thrown out of the window by holidays, it will great to all stick together and help one another.

Vera, you have so much on your plate at the moment and everyone demanding your attention... don't forget about VERA, k!! You are very important to me!
          (Oh I didn't know she ended up marrying the old dude!!)

Zed, I have missed our history lessons. Singapore sound awesome. Aren't you heading home soon? I read in our newspapers that there is still friction between India and Pak... I hope it is all resolved by the time you go home.
          How did your speech go? If your speeches are anything like you write, I'd be totally entranced:-)

I started reading a book by Deepak Chopra - Addictions ... oh my hat!! I am only 2 chapters in and I'm nodding my head. He talks about how those with addictions are really just "seekers" of happiness and joy but we are misguided souls as we think we can find it in AL/drugs/food. That doesn't really explain it well but so far I am hooked.

Eve, modding is subjective. Even for ourselves, we keep changing and revising our goals. I think holidays are almost a seperate issue -- but it sounds like you were always in control and that's what counts at the end of the day, right?
          Thank you for sharing how wonderful your holiday was -- I can just picture you lying on the beach getting a massage -- bliss!

Vladster, where art thou today????!!

Hi Jamms, whats news?

Renewal, if you're lurking HI!!

And of course our favorite STARTS, who is celebrating 5 months of sobriety -- go and check out her post if you get a chance, it is really heart warming.

I can't believe tomorrow is Friday AGAIN!! I did manage to get some Xmas shopping done today so all the kids are sorted and now it's just a couple of adults.

Hope everyone is having a great day:-)
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Morning Lila!!!!
            LOL, my day is over and yours is only beginning -- crazy!
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thanks Sara and DeeBee. Eve, your holiday sounded great. And it sounds like you were careful with AL even if you didn't exactly follow your rules. Not being HO and remembering everything is great. And I am trying to look out the windows these days...Thanks.

Gotta get started today. Hope everyone will check in!

Comment

Morning modders,

Feel like crap today, sinus problems because of all this rain.

Trying to get through the work day and going to relax at home for the rest of the night. X-mas shopping tomorrow and an AF weekend. That's my plan.

Vera- Good luck and be strong!

Ducky- :goodjob: Way to go!! I agree with DB, don't feel silly heck I'm only AF 3 days.

DeeBee- it's funny to watch somone drinking when you not. My sister was drinking the other night I had a couple beers but did not get drunk. She was talking so close to me it was driving me nuts, hubby and I were laughing about it then he told me I do the same thing. YIKES!!!!

Eve-You said "For me, as long as I'm not slurring, having any of my family comment on my behavior because I've been drinking, don't have a hangover the next day, don't feel anxious or depressed the next day, and can remember EVERYTHING I've done, then my mod plan is working" I agree.

(perhaps sopmeone could tell me how to get a quote from somone in my post):thanks:

Zed- Travel safe!

got caught posting at work, gotta go!
                :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

I guess it?s my turn to be in a funk, seems to be going around. I?m not slipping from my plan, just not my usual happy self. I can?t seem to concentrate on what I need to do at work or at home. My little grandkids are coming over for a few hours tonight. Maybe that will cheer me up, they usually do!

Aw Jamms, thanks for the kind thoughts. BTW to quote: at the bottom of the person?s post you want to quote there is a ?Quote? button. Click on that. It will open up a reply window for you. I just delete all but what I wanted to quote. I know, it?s that easy! We can drive ourselves nuts over some of the simplest things sometimes huh?

I?m glad your connection kept strong Kid! We had this ongoing discussion a while back about how frustrating it is to lose a post. You get timed out after a while so if you always do Ctrl A (select all) then Ctrl C (copy) if you lose everything you can Ctrl V to paste it in after you sign back in. The trick is always remembering to do that.

Vera, I could so relate to your feelings of wanting to drink after a stressful day. What you described as your end of year goes on in my day to day business events all year. It is very stressful. There is enough of what I do that I like that keeps me in it, but there are very many times that I wrack my brain trying to figure out why I don?t do something else. Then it comes back to the same thing, finances. There is nothing I could get into that could give me the income I am currently at without years of ?paying my dues?. It is all we can do to keep up financially these days as it is, so changing careers right now is not an option for that reason. When it comes back around to my health as far as AL and drinking triggers, I must be extra vigilant about not drinking when I?ve had a stressful day at work. We will get through this together!

Lila, Thank you for your observation about me being intuitive. I believe that we all are on some level, perhaps some more than others, indeed, some are very gifted in the area. I think that for most of us we have this wonderful intuition as children and as we grow and mature, often the adults and our environments convince us that our intuition is inaccurate or even wrong. Over the past five or six years I have asked myself to trust my intuition. The more I trust it, the more I find it to be accurate. Then it is just able to grow from there. Try it! You?ll be amazed. FYI, the third eye chakra is involved with our intuition.

Sara, I just read your post and started writing a response to you. You know there are a couple ways to interpret your new name Sarasmiles? The obvious one was Sara smiles which makes me smile! But when I just now glanced up I saw Saras miles. You know, even though you feel down and out about wanting to be a better mom, you are miles from where you would be if you weren?t actively working on your AL issues. Your boys are? well boys! Remember when you first came to this site and I told you I believe there is a special place in heaven for mother?s of 3 boys? There you go! I raised 2 of them, I feel for you! You just need to be ready with your comebacks when they say things like ?why don?t we have colored lights?? Those 1-liners: ?what an interesting question?, ?I wondered how you might feel about candles instead of snowmen? ?when you are the dad, will you put up white lights or colored ones?? ?let me know how that works out for you? ?let?s go inside now and you can color me a picture of what your house will look like when you?re the dad?. Just arm yourself ahead of time for when, not if they blast you. Like your avatar, all little boys are wild boys! :whee: I had a little thing I used to tell myself as my boys were growing up, ?They?re just practicing to be men.? I meant no disrespect then and I mean none now. I said it to my SIL and we would laugh, laugh, laugh (she has 2 boys and a girl)! I said it to some people and they just stared, jaw dropped. Yes, it was a funny tongue in cheek saying. But it helped me get through those things that would otherwise eat me up inside. A sense of humor always helps. You are doing great!

Zed, I would love to see as much of the world as you have. Maybe one day. Or maybe in another life. I have been wanting to ask you a couple reincarnation questions. I know very little about it. Does one always come back as the same gender? And how long after one passes from one life might it be before they come back for their next life?

DeeBee, I had some of the tingling in the hands and feet in the beginning. The crazy typing mix up thingy has gotten better, I have always had a problem with word mix ups (especially after a couple drinks lol) so can?t really tell a difference there, and the best of all is that I?ve lost 10.5 pounds!

Ducky, I agree with the others on your AF day. You are the one in control.

St John, good plan! I don?t think I know how old your kids are.

Hang in there Mod Squad!

periwinkle
                  Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

hi modders, been thinking about why we pick the names we do for mwo? was interested that folk thought of mine as meaning johhnie walker and also the post about sarasmiles. anyone else want to share why they choose the name they did? also would love to form a pact to help with more and more AF nights, its strange that i can break promises to myself in the blink of an eye but once made a pact with folk i respect i just couldnt let them down! wish i was as loyal to myself!! i also only have about an hour or so in the evnings here so now i also come straight to modders and click in with everyones posts, it saves so much time flicking around and im happy here. i do click on new posts to keep abreast but most of my time spent here now. i have bought a new notebook and the keyboard is very small so sorry for any typos! may i ask for a quick geography check as to where everyone who hasnt declared it is from? its so ACE to talk to peeps from all over the world! im from UK, stay strong everyone and looking forward to hear everyones plan for 2009, but as someone said lets take it one day at a time and get through the hols first. ps: for ease of reference just call me KW, sorry i choose a long name!
                    Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Hey KW, it's WALT. Sorry I've been away for a while. Still haven't drank since Halloween even though it certainly hasn't been easy. Breaking old habits, beating cravings, yuk, that's it, just yuk. I hope to have more time than I have had for logging on to read and post for more support. How have you been? I looked for you specifically today since it's been such a long time. Hope to talk more later. Take care. WALT

Comment

WALT replied to you on other thread, go have a look so good to hear from you, am so impressed with your progress, fantastic x

Comment

Oh God KW! What if I can't find it again... too clear that I'm still not very good at the 'nav' part of this posting business! HaHa

Comment

think you found it walt but what about an avatar next??? something that smacks of you for christmasX

Comment

Day 3 of a pact...

Hey modders,
                              Finally back on my own line. The repairman DID NOT come last night as he promised and did not call to say he wouldn't make it...grrrrr!
                              Yucky day here in the Midwest USA. I would rather have snow than grey cold moisture.The wife is home and "invited" me to go shopping. I don't like shopping.I also spent money. I don't like spending money...I'm kidding (almost). Got my HHG some kind of sketch pad for her computer and the LazyDog some boots...is he going to wear these things? He cut his feet last year on the ice and salt.
                              I'm not sure if I feel better or not today.I have a few sleep issues. Since the Mod plan went pretty well, I'm devising a plan to 1.) get more sleep 2.) have more energy 3.)feel more inspired and/or get more done... I'm used to drinking POTS of coffee every day... I love coffee..I love the smell of fresh brewed.I love the taste..I love a warm cup. It's almost similar to a love I have for "something else" in my life. Today I made a rule: No coffee after 12 noon. I'm moderating coffee. I don't think so much is good for me, so I'm going to enjoy that pot in the morning and then I'm done. I'm letting myself rediscover a cup of tea in the late afternoon. It's a first step, or maybe a second step. I'm sleeping BETTER with less alcohol but I'm not getting that happy, jump out of bed-full-of-energy-let's -get-it-done feeling as often as I would like!
                              KW: Kid Shelleen is from a movie we discussed just before you came to us. A drunken gunfighter whose cleaning up and redemption is so inspiring that it makes you laugh and cry at the same time..Especially if you are a man that needs or has experienced a cleaning up and redemption yourself...
                              We'll all work on the pacts together. It seems like some would be interested.
                              Peri: Thanks again. I'll try your method.
                              Jamms:Weekends are good days for me to AF. Sometime maybe Sara and/or a few of us can try AF weekends after the holidays.
                              Ducky: Doing OK? What do you think about boots for dogs?
                              DeeBee: Good choices with the wine. It sounds as if these choices are getting easier and habitual. That's what I'm striving for.
                              Eve: After your descriptions, I think I'M going to have spiritual,calming dreams! And that wine sounds DANGEROUS. I can usually count on 2 of glasses of wine to remind me that I drank 1 too many!
                              Zed: Be safe.
                              Everyone else, keep posting.
                              ~Kid~
                              It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

kid what about a good quality decaf coffee?? same taste no caffeine?? coffee affects your moods and your sleep sooooooo much, decaf green tea is very refreshing first thing and will give you that get up and go! good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X