Mod Squad Weekly Thread for December 22, 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going AF for the entire holiday been so since Sunday. kicked ass in the gym too, so why stop here.
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Hey!!!

You GO,Trixie!!!!:goodjob:
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi all you modders - just wishing you all a merry christmas
        It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Merry Christmas again Zepps - great to hear from you!
          Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Thanks Zeppie...

We haven't met yet but thanks for visiting us...and Merry Christmas to you too!!
            ~Kid~
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

just checking i to say good night. Went out with friends and decided to drive so did not touch a drop tonight. Boy it feels good to be in control. I will be fresh as a daisy for chirstmas eve and i am so thankful. Am warm and cosy in bed now and want to thank all of you mods, you are such an inspiration i now refer to myself in my deepest being as a moderate drinker, i actually believe it to be true now on a very deep level. sobriety is the future, hug to you all and welcome zeppie xx
              Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Hi Everybody,
                KW, I too love that fresh, AF feeling.

Trixie, good for you! At a time of the year that could have been the worst for many us us.

Kid, I'm surprised you say you experience no cravings with having a drink most days. That would not be true for me. Sounds like you've adopted Zed's "only drink quality" rule.

Vlad and Sara, we all have our own level of moderation that feels right for us. There are lots of sources offering various levels and opinions on this matter. The only source I ever quote is the MWO book, and that is only if I'm asked.

Sara, my hubby always also has a glass or two of wine daily, every single day. He doesn't understand "my problem", why I and others drink too much. Used to, that is. Now I am exceedingly careful.

I will probably stop by in the a.m., though we will be leaving "at sparrow fart" to go see relatives for Christmas, probably returning Sunday. I wish I could remember some of the great southern expressions I've heard, so I could toss them back at beloved Deebs.

take care, all
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Merry Christmas to all of my squad buds! I love you all and pray for your continued strength for this battle we are fighting!
                  Your St. J
                  Toughen up!

Comment

Kid- I don't know if you'll get this but..I have to change my pact....plan...I am/was AF on Mon. and Tues and Thursday. X-mas Eve Hubby and I will be alone with the little ones...so we (he really) decided that after they are in bed for the night, 8:00, we will have some wine and snacks under out xmas tree. I will be AF on Xmas Day. My sister was admitted to hospital today so we're assuming we will be visiting her on Xmas day. I will probably MOD on Friday when I visit relatives out of town for Xmas.
                    :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

Wednesday is coming...How did it go ??

* "Cross my heart,and hope to die;Stick a needle in my eye.."
                      * Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
                      (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)
                      Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

>Lila,Sunbeam: Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday

>Sara,Jamms: Monday and Tuesday

Use this form or start a new thread

for any pacts you want to start.

ANYONE ELSE??
                      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Just popping into this lovely thread to wish you all a wonderful and safe Christmas.

Comment

Thanks, Tawnyfrog, and what a fascinating avatar you have. Merry Christmas to you.
                          "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sunbeam;501175 wrote: I had a thought today: do we often have a drink because we have forgotten how to relax without alcohol? I feel like I did struggle with that, though I think I'm OK now. Just wondering what others think.
                            Hi Sun and everyone,
                            I'm responding to this post Sun and not taking the time to read the other 4 pages of posts following this one as this question intrigued me.

I was just talking about this today with my dear friend as I said for me I don't have a drink because I'm anxious in a social setting like so many people are when they first go to a party but yes I do really like the nice little relaxed buzz I get when it's been an appropriate amount like 1 or 2. Also, I really do love the taste of certain wines as well.

I do find however, that the party gets old when the drinking has stopped. Has anyone else noticed that? LOL - My husband (controlled drinker without A problem) said "I really liked that guy that we met at the party last night but as it got later and later he got stupider and stupider." Ofcourse those of us with drinking problems always seem to notice how others are slamming them down. I know why the guy got stupider and stupider. Think I've been there myself a time or two. But usually when the drinking stops I'm ready to go home.

It's a good question that many of us can ponder. Maybe you should start a new thread with it Sun.
                            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Eve,
                              Thanks so much for responding to this question. I think this is a new layer for me. After the holidays I think I will post this thought under General Discussion. I have a pretty golden life, as life goes, and I always wondered why I drank. This is why I posted all those gratitudes, i.e., I really DON"T deserve a drink! This helps me understand it, and then deal with it.

I found a web site with some nice relaxation stuff:
                              Relaxation Strategies
                              from the military. I guess they need to relax, too! The hypno CD's by many used here are along these lines, but there is more to it than that.

KeepWalking mentioned music, I have re-discovered books, there are so many ways to relax that I know I had forgotten.
                              Anyway, I gotta go pack and get into the car soon.

Merry Christmas, Everybody!
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Drinking and social settings...

I too, often drank to "prepare" for parties or social events. The problem with this thinking is that by the time you are uninhibited enough to relax, you are already turning into an idiot. You will be vaguely aware of this and become even more socially inept, which increases your anxiety the next time you have to attend a social occasion.
                                I try hard to start the party with little or no alcohol in me. the longer I stay sober, the more I enjoy it.
                                Went to a gathering last night with just a sip to start out with. I felt very clear and had things to say to the host and hostess and couple that the party was thrown for. I was aware of glasses and refills offered often. I kept my wine glass full by not drinking it so fast! I had a champagne toast later and put my partially full glass down after.
                                Merry Christmas to all my Modder friends and visitors. I'm helping out at the hospital today, but will stop in now and then to keep the thread alive!
                                -KID-
                                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                                X