• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread for December 22, 2008

Kid Shelleen;502351 wrote:
    the longer I stay sober, the more I enjoy it.-
    Kid,
    This is SO true. Hope the newbies lurking caught this one as it's so insightful and so helpful!
    I have done that as well as it works great. Start off with a non-al or if AL is chosen - sip slow and talk a lot. Also, don't drink AL back to back. AL, something non-AL, AL (if two or more chosen).
    Got caught at a party where no non-AL was available (other than water which didn't appeal to me) so I learned a lesson to bring my own bottle of something non-AL if I'm not sure if the hostess will have anything available.
    We usually throw a huge party once a year and I have learned to go AL free throughout the party. I'm talking to the crowd at times, offering prizes for things and I have never wanted drunken, slurred speeches. I'm sure there were some in previous years but since I've become aware of modding I have changed my tune. So, I sip fun non-AL things and when the party is ending and is down to the bare bones then I'll have a drink with the good friends remaining. Hmmm...maybe I need to look at those good friends remaining...they may have drinking issues if they're the last ones! LOL ! For me it does work with the thought that I can enjoy that drink at the end of the party and don't have to be a drinking fool throughout it.

Happy Holidays (whatever you are celebrating) to all. Let's make it a great successful modding or AF 09!
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Merry Christmas all you lovely people. Have a wonderful day tomorrow xxx
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hey Squad,
        I am really stressing out. I thought a quick post might help. What is it? Just being a mom trying to make everything just right for Christmas? Only 4 hours sleep last night... Going to see my own mom (whom I always seem to let stress me out)? It's Christmas eve, and I'm supposed to be merry and bright, but I am tense and irritable, and trying to hide it from my kids....I'd like a drink, but I don't want to over-due it, tonight of all nights, and I feel the tension that has led to that before. Deep breath. This too shall pass. Sara
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

sara christmas is supposed to be a time of joy but in reality it tests every emotion going. well done on resisting the devil in liquid form, treat yourself to something though, it is christmas eve and us moms are worn out at this time of year! we give, give and give......... things will be brighter tomorrow when santa has been, get to bed as early as you can in your christmas pj.s xx
          Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

What's the big deal??

I must be missing something! No stress here. My wife puts up the tree, does the shopping, cooking, and wraps the presents. I love this time of year. Sara needs to get a wife. They are a HUGE help! :H
            -Kid-

(Good thing you can't throw this far,huh?)
            It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Thanks Keep, and Kid. You guys are the best, and I am better now. xoxo sara
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pop in and say a quick "hi". The kids and grandkids just left after a fun time with them. It is so much fun to have little ones around at Christmas time.

I haven't been on the forum this week because of my job. Due to the sudden drop in interest rates I have been going non-stop. I was just so busy between work and last minute Christmas stuff that I knew if I got started reading here I would never get off.

I will have to catch up later. But for now just want to say that I'm doing well and moderating as well or better than planned. I had planned to limit myself to 2 drinks while the family was here this afternoon but due to how stressed I felt earlier, I decided to stay AF. That felt good because for me it's so much about my motives. Not drinking when I've been under a lot of stress or if I've been upset about something (even if I had planned a drink or two and get stressed just prior) is something I am learning really does not serve me well. I had a very relaxed time with the kids and enjoyed every minute with them. And no left over guilt to deal with!

Merry Christmas everyone! Be safe and happy.
                periwinkle :coolsanta:
                Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Well done, Periwinkle!!! To face the stress and choose not to drink is a huge step. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time with the grandkids. Merry Christmas. Sara

Comment

Christmas Morning...

Merry Christmas morning!
                    Well, the "worst" of it should be over and maybe those of us stressed by this leg of the Holidays can begin to relax. Maybe we should put "Christ" back in Christmas, huh? It's hard when you have kids, though. Santa is definitely the star of this show! Alot of the stress seems to come from unreasonable expectations and putting too much emphasis on the wrong things. Who can live up to the image of a "perfect Christmas"?
                    Speaking of Santa; as usual, she was definitely better to me than I deserve. I'm humbled by the thoughtfulness and toil that she put into pulling us together around tree, hearth and home. My oldest came home from college briefly, so Santa had to hit our house early. I was helping out at the hospital and didn't get home til 8PM. We had a lovely little time; the girls especially excited because they are old enough to have their own money and pick out thoughtful (and expensive for them) presents for Cat , Kid, and each other. I guess that's why they were excited..(yeah,right!)
                    Cat works today and the oldest went back to her college town. She works somewhere that never closes and it's her turn in the barrel.HHG, Jabba(MIL) and I are going to see "Marley and Me"?? at HHGs request and then look around for open eating establishments (will anyone be open?). The house is still pretty dark and asleep. I'm in bed with coffee and laptop, contemplating going back to count sugarplums for an hour or two before getting up and playing with my toys.
                    Are you all looking forward to the New Year? I am very excited! I can't wait for it to begin. I love fresh starts. Should we establish a "New Year's Resolutions" thread, or is there one already?? Oh, you HATE New Years Resolutions? Sorry...Ha Ha! :H
                    Well, I'm going to warm up the cuppa; read a little; maybe nap a little; and then venture out into this dismal looking, but joyous-under-the-surface, day...
                    My best to you all.
                    A Merry Christmas Day...
                    ~Kid Shelleen~
                    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Good morning modders! I am taking it easy here this morning waiting for the 4pm eta of the three grandbrats and the serving of the Honeybaked Ham dinner. I enjoy reading your thread each day and am impressed with all the diligence that goes into your efforts. Hope everyone here has a happy Holiday season and a fruitful and productive new year.
                      vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Love that avatar, cyclefan! Merry merry riding!
                        Toughen up!

Comment

Hi Gang,
                          Just checking in while here at my mom's house, visiting with my sibs and their kids. I'm doing okay... exceeded my limits a bit with wine tonight, so I'm just starting to make the transition from buzzed to guilty. Nothing anyone would notice, and lots of laughs and cuddles with the kids, but I feel the old familiar shame, just because I didn't stick to my 2 drink limit.

I'm looking forward to a fresh start after the holidays are over, and at least two weeks AF to start off January.

Best wishes to all. Sara

Comment

hi all
                            Back home after being at relatives. I had a miserable time. I was miserable. My family is a bit toxic. And it felt so boring. Well, I just wanted to be honest...
                            New Year's resolutions - I happen to love them!
                            Lila

Comment

I do too and I'm ready for them!
                              Toughen up!

Comment

Reality TV...

-------------How about some "toxic holiday family stories" ??--------------
                                **************:shocked: :yuk::egad::egad::yuk: :shocked:*****************
                                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                                X