Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread for December 29th, 2008

Deebs,
    Welcome home! MYO is one of your homes, as I see it. Sounds like things are going well for you. I will be starting a diet journal on Jan 1, probably under the fitness and health section. I have whined here about my lack of weight loss, though I am barely overweight. I just would like to lose 10#. I don't expect I will ever be a size 6 again, but it would be nice to be 8 again instead of 10, and then be able to wear the smaller sized clothes in my closet.

I am having a couple of friends over to share wine this afternoon. Then maybe I won't have any on New Year's Eve, so I can enjoy some with the nice dinner my husband "The Chef" is planning for New Year's Day. My BIL will join us for New Year's Eve, and stay a couple of nights total.

I have been giving thought to parceling my drinking priveledges over this holiday. What is my priority? Good conversation with friends or my husband. I really don't have an awful lot to say to the relatives with whom we spend Christmas. I did have wine with two dinners at their home, mostly because I NEVER want them to know I have a drinking problem. They don't drink much at all, so this isn't hard. I have never had too much in their home, though I always went back the next day for the rest of the bottle at the first opportunity. Anyway, I no longer need wine just to relax, and the conversation that can occur with a reasonable amount of wine is something I cherish.

Lila, do holiday tunes cheer you up? How about a fire in that fireplace? Get some exercise, or give yourself permission to do as little as possible, with your preferred AF beverage in a wine glass. I have always disliked the letdown that goes with arrival home after the holiday trip. This year I did not have wine, and it was much better. Alcohol really does depress you.

Take care, all. I gotta clean up and put away some holiday clutter before my friends arrive this afternoon.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

hi Modders!
      So glad to see you two!!! Everyone, I don't mean to be exclusive. Sunbeam, me too, I would like to lose a little weight, but more importantly, tone up. I was thinking about getting a really cheap elliptical machine. I am feeling down, can't seem to not be...but feelings do change. They do.
      Deebs, that sounds lovely, so fun to have daughters! And it is nice to be home again after being gone!
      Lila

Comment

Well,alrighty then...

Good morning,ladies...
        Am I, like, the last one to get up this morning??
        I'm on my second cuppa coffee. Cat is looking for some New Year's Eve recipes.(I nixed the dish that took a half cuppa cream and a half cuppa caviar).I can think of better uses for BOTH of those ingredients! HHG is sketching something.
        We are finding places in our lives and cupboards for our Christmas presents. They can't stay under the tree forever. Cat is sorting a pile for charity.
        It looks like it will be a sunny day. I'll join KW later in a long walk on our different continents!! Isn't it funny to have international friends??
        I think it's going to be an easy,breezy day. Times to enjoy.
        Al Talk: Last time I did 3 days AF, I was very "thirsty" on my BAF (Breaking Alcohol Fast). Last night I thought I'd have a beer that came recommended by my local spirits supplier (after 3 days AF again) with my supper of roast and little Italian handkerchiefs. After a few sips, and the food being gone, so was my AL appetite.I corked it,and put it away. I am SO elated! My moderation may be turning into semi-normal behavior! (Or maybe not...vigilance always)
        :devil:........................................... ..........................................I'll getcha!!.......................................... .................................................. ........:devil:
        My best to all,
        ~Kid~
        It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi Squad,

I've been at work all day, and just now have the chance to check in briefly...The kids are still awake and I want to go tuck them in. But I wasn't sure I could check in later, since hubby seems in need of some attention, too.

I felt pretty good today after being AF last night, and I won't drink tonight, either. It's amazing how quickly my brain starts to regain its equilibrium when I don't.

Welcome back, everyone...More tomorrow. Sara
          "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Welcome back DeeBee and good to see a post from you Sunbeam as well. Sara - you're doing awesome with AF lately...great work!
            Cooked a *lovely* (My Aussie friend's favorite word) chicken dinner tonight that required red wine. I had pacted with Kid to be AF night before New Year's Eve. Once that bottle was open it would have been SO easy to have had one and then possibly another with the meal. But...a deals a deal. So AF tonight and I froze the wine for future cooking rather than to be tempted to go back to that open bottle!
            Have pacted for no more than 3 tomorrow. It's a costume party and was so much fun last year. Theme last year was roaring 20's-this year we're all white trash! I have the leopard outfit with shoes that light up. Really looking forward to it. But more than anything...looking forward to a fun night, keeping my pact and being hangover free on New Year's Day. That will be a first in a very long time.
            Happy New Year's to All!
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Well Done, Eve! Gotta love the pacts! Good luck at your party, and you will feel sooo good if you stick to your plan!

Lila, are you feeling better today? Two days AF, getting serious about figuring out these supps, tapering off of Prozac, and I am feeling so much better. In the past when I've gone off of Prozac I've had a noticeable "withdrawal" , even though they say Prozac doesn't cause that. So far so good this time, but I'll be checking in here. I'm down from 40 to 10 mg. and took none yesterday. I will take 10 every other day for another week or so. Anyone else have experience with this?

I'm looking for a doctor who will support a natural/alternative approach...They are surprisingly hard to come by.

I think Kudzu is really helping. I simply had no desire to drink yesterday. Will it last? God, I hope so.
              I may have a celebratory glass or two of champagne tonight, but[B] I commit to no more than two[/ .
              B] Happy New Year Mod Squad. Still some people MIA...Hope all are well. Sara
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Good morning everybody,
                I had a lovely afternoon sharing wine with two friends. Three glasses is too much for me, though. I didn't feel well during the night, although I guess I'm OK now, and will be better once I eat my oatmeal. This was a good reminder of why I much prefer my AF days.

Eve, your party sound like so much fun! We will be staying in. The BIL is is supposed to come, though we had a lot of snow last night so we aren't sure he is coming. Going to bed early may be what happens. I guess we are a couple of old fogies. And congrats on freezing that wine - much better than "wasting" it by drinking it.

Happy New Year to all!
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

You can freeze wine????

Comment

Not YOUR wine, Sara!!!

I don't think "Ripple","Cisco", "Wild Irish Rose" or "MD20/20" will freeze!!(oops, nothing left for ice cubes!)

But the kind you drink from a glass will...Put it in a nonbreakable container with a loose lid (it will expand) or use an ice cube tray. Leftover cheap wine, frozen, equals groovy Valentines Day Ice Cubes

~Kid~

.................................................. ....(Elsa Deinweinenfriezer demonstrates above)............................................ ..................................................
                    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi Sara,
                      You probably would not want to drink wine after freezing it, but it would be fine for cooking.

Comment

Happy New Year!

* "Cross my heart,and hope to die;Stick a needle in my eye.."
                        * Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
                        (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)
                        Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

>>Eve11 and Kid: AF Friday 12/26(check)
                        >>St John, Kid: Friday(check) and Saturday(check)
                        Ask,Sara,St J: Monday(check),Tuesday(check)

Eve: promises AF 12/30, just 3 drinks New Years Eve,2 drinks other times

Sara: 2 Glasses champage New Year's Eve (NO Chardonnay!)

Use this form or start a new thread

for any pacts you want to start.

ANYONE ELSE??

ModSquad:

Vera-b,Lila,Sunbeam,Kid,Jamms,Ask for Help,
                        St John,KeepWalking, DeeBee,Sara,Periwinkle,Eve,
                        Vlad,Trixietrack,StartingOver,
                        Zed, One2many,(Cyclefan,Zeppie,Gyco,J-vo,WIP, and Tawnyfrog visit)

Comment

Hiya Modders!
                          Just wanted to pop in and wish you all a very happy new year! I hope you all manage to stick to your plans and have a wonderful time x
                          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hi modders,
                            Just popping in to say hi and Happy New Year to everyone!
                            It's good to see the "pacting" taking place. Good luck to everyone tonight.

Sara - I've come off plenty of meds and I've always had some sort of withdrawal symptoms - some not as severe as others. No, the medical community does not have many positives to say about the alternative approaches - but hey! They are human and can't possibly know everything. I think the majority of people know there are other solutions to problems other than medications. Yes, they are useful and necessary, but are overused and I should know that from the various anti-depressants my doc has put me on. I feel as though I was his guinea pig for years. Oh well, good luck to you with your supps.

Hi Eve - Rock on girlfriend! Sounds like an awesome party.

Hi Sun - That's so nice being able to share wine with girlfriends and stopping after a few. That's one of my dangers - starting early and not stopping until I hit the pillow.

Hi Deebs and happy birthday to your daughter. Wow. 14. That's a very fragile age to have to live with! You sound completely ont top of the world! (Can you see me down here????!!!!!) I'm glad you had a great x-mas with your in-laws. Sounds so relaxing and low key. Enjoy your new years.

Hi Lila - hey girl. Take it easy on yourself. You'll start to feel better after the holidays. The month prior to x-mas really got me down, starting drinking more than what I wanted.

I've laid off the AL for the last 4 days. Tonight will be a mod night for me - no more than three - and possibly a few tomorrow. After many days of AL, I started to feel that memory dullness, more anxiousness, and more depression. I can happily say, I'm feeling better after abstaining for awhile.
                            And that's the plan after new years - many AF days. I know the benefits of it!

To all the modders who started posting after my absence, have a great new year's and good luck on all of your modding goals! God Bless!

j-vo
                            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Thanks, JVO, and thanks for the info on freezing wine, guys...

Hubby and I have had a quarrel, and I am unbelievably tense over it. Earlier, when all was well, I decided to forgo the champagne, and have wine with the (fabulous) dinner I made. So now I've had my two, and I won't have more tonight. I am really down, and irritated...Such a stupid argument, over his having chosen "Airplane" for the kids to watch tonight...Not the right humor for their ages. Anyway, it led to more trouble between us than just that...Won't bore you with the details. I just wanted to check in here for sanity, to say, "I"M RIGHT, DAMN IT!" And as pissed off as I feel, I will not treat this symptom with alcohol...

Thanks for listening. Sara

Comment

j-vo - Great to hear from you! I'm glad to know you are doing OK.

Happy New Year to Everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X