X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread for December 29th, 2008

New Year; New PACTS...I cross my heart.

* "Cross my heart,and hope to die;Stick a needle in my eye.."
    * Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
    (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)
    Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

*JAMMS: Started "the program" (and a 2 week AF/Modder MWO Program Starter thread!)
    ..2 weeks AF until Thursday Jan. 15th(at least) (good luck)

*Kid: AF Friday, Saturday,Sunday

*Sara and Sunbeam: Friday (1/2) starts 2weeks AF!!(Good LucK)

ANYONE ELSE??
    Feel free to join in
    with any ongoing pact
    (or start a new one)
    Remember:you've :h"crossed your heart":h

ModSquad:

Vera-b,Lila,Sunbeam,Kid,Jamms,Ask for Help,janie
    St John,KeepWalking, DeeBee,Sara,Periwinkle,Eve,
    Vlad,Trixietrack,StartingOver,
    Zed, One2many,(Cyclefan,Zeppie,Gyco,J-vo,WIP, and Tawnyfrog visit)

Comment

Yes, Kid, and other modders...I start today. Two weeks AF, and I would love some company! But even if I'm on my own with this, I'll be checking in a lot, looking for support in succeeding at this. Be well, everyone! Sara
      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Happy New year fellow modders!! Kid thanks for the other thread re "the plan" I am going to think it through properly and post it on there tomorrow. Welcome everyone else to 2009. Ask - thanks for the clarity re subs, I subscribed ( still waiting for my free bottle of kudzu?) but i rarely go there for some of the reasons you outlined. !
        I am back from London after a really wonderful family time, no overdoing it, no hangovers, just an enjoyable quality time. I am very serious about not kidding myself in 2009 though and i am asking myself how many days out of 365 do i want to be AF - hmmm, will post answer to that later too!

I am excited to join you all properly for the pact for 2009 and I too will be joining Weighwatchers on 08/01 with an aim to loose exactly one stone from whatever i weigh in at!! I really only need to loose about ten pounds but i want to be V trim for holiday season! Ps - Who has bought a podometer?? Who is joining me for the 10.000 steps a day as a mumimum challenge?? More tomorrow x

PpS : Kid hope you like my new avatar x
        Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

I will do the two weeks AF with Sara. I did not drink too much, but more frequently than I had intended before the holidays began. I especially hated drinking that third glass yesterday, alone by myself, after my husband had gone off for a nap. More AF time is better for me.

Sara and Eve , I knit a nice shawl over Christmas, while we were traveling to visit family, and while we were there. It is a very simple beginner's pattern. Scarves are the easiest item to make, but this is much nicer.

And my creative juices are still flowing. Today I may finish the beaded valance for over my kitchen sink window. I have also have begun cutting out pieces for a new quilt. I finished a quilt last winter during my 2.5 months AF. A photo is floating around in the MWO gallery. It features several old neckties, opened up to maximize fabric, but they look huge.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Not a bad day...

How about you all? Well Sara, you've got some company for your 2 week endeavor! Thanks,Sunbeam...Good luck you two!!
            I DO like your avatar,KW; very inspirational!
            AF today was easy, although I was a lazy guy. Took college girl out to dinner and I had hot tea.It was good;it was warm; and it was everything my mouth wanted at that minute... It's not worth even talking about except that it reinforces that modding is for some of us, a very real choice for controlling problem drinking. We can change... We can STOP or we can mod. It's so great not to be that 17 year old who started drinkining and never grew up... I've grown up. I see how this works.
            Good night all (watching "Breaking Up" with the family.)
            ~KS~
            It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

hi Modders
              I am just popping in to say hi. I hope you all are well and wishing everyone a happy New Year!
              Love
              Lila

Comment

Kid Shelleen;507904 wrote: Ask, Janie and others;
                I go to the subscriber threads periodically to look around... I wonder what threads you frequent in the subscriber area.
                ~Kid~
                Hey Kid,
                I always have a fear of speaking about modding in areas other than the mod board as I know many people can't mod and have issues with those who can (or think they can).
                People were very warm and welcoming when I posted the first time but like us they all seem connected with many seeming to know each other well and I felt like an outsider looking in. Know I could break the fence down but have such great support and connections here and it's safe to post about modding that I pretty much just stay around here.
                Always have a fear that newbies feel the same way here (on the outside looking in) so here or there I'll welcome them to join us as it can be intimidating when people seem to know each other so well.
                Eve11
                "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Good point...

I'll try to be more welcoming to newbies, if I haven't been.
                  I'm going to write something sometime about moderation; what to expect; how to plan; when to give up and go back to AF :H...stuff like that. We are going to bring modding up to a new height of respectability and credibility! It 's going to be very much an alternative for addiction (especially alcohol) in the future.
                  ~Kid~
                  ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

kid that would be great, some people keep drinking and drinking because they see no altrnative, modding is possible with support and help, thanks x
                    Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

When to give up?

Kid Shelleen;509262 wrote: I'm going to write something sometime about moderation; what to expect; how to plan; when to give up and go back to AF
                      That question of when to give up is major!! I still struggle with questions of can I really do it? The pacting has helped tremendously as the drinktracker has. And of course there's nothing like connecting with the people here as we encourage each other on.
                      Share more about the program you did Kid. Was it SMART recovery? I've always been interested to hear what other programs have to say to see if there's anything helpful I can pick up.
                      Hi to everyone old and new. St. J. - you sent a special New Year's message...hope yours is wonderful as well and you meet your goals! Like your conversion thoughts. Think we should all convert to successful moderate drinkers!
                      Hugs
                      Eve11
                      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Kid,
                        Thanks for all you've brought to the Mod Squad.

You have made me very curious regarding what you could write down about successful moderation, especially since the very definition is dynamic. Individual experiences seem to vary a lot, too. Some people seem to crash into alcoholic oblivion with just one drink, and others have declared that anyone can learn to moderate. Whew! But the planning piece is really critical - wish I had known that before learning it by the seat of my pants.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

hello everyone,
                          I first would like to clear one thing up....in case anyone wasn't sure.
                          The "program"from the MWO book is a MOD program. Can be AB if you choose. I choose to MOD....It is best to be AF for the first couple of weeks of the program. So just to be clear the thread I have started is a "MWO PROGRAM" thread....not an AF thread.

Kid- do you think I should change the name of my thread so that it is clearer? I do respect what you think.
                          :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

Done...Changed my PACT announcement

Updated for clarity...we love clarity
                            ~KS~
                            PS: I think the name of your thread is just fine; and you clarified the intent also..

Sunbeam,
                            Not everyone can "moderate". Some people think moderating will be easier, that they are just going to "cut down on their drinking a little" but, "Oh boy, I still get to drink!"
                            There are many things I would like to clear up to save the newbies the trouble. More later..
                            ~Kid~
                            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Quote from Jamms:

I first would like to clear one thing up....in case anyone wasn't sure.
                              The "program"from the MWO book is a MOD program. Can be AB if you choose. I choose to MOD....It is best to be AF for the first couple of weeks of the program. So just to be clear the thread I have started is a "MWO PROGRAM" thread....not an AF thread.

Kid- do you think I should change the name of my thread so that it is clearer? I do respect what you think.

Jamms: When I saw your thread and people were signing up I assumed this was a Jan 1st sign up for 30 days ABS so you might want to clarify it with the folks who have signed up. It's surprising how AF focussed this site can be. Also: you're likely to get feedback that 30 days minimum, preferably 60 AF is recommended, even though that is not stated in Roberta's book, it's pretty heavily quoted on this site by the folks who are AF. Just a heads up. Good for you though, for initiating a mods thread!! This needs doing on this site!! You go girl. I'll watch with interest ( and be there for support)

Ask

Comment

Thanks Ask for Help, I went back to the thread and stated that it was a MWO Program thread.
                                :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

Working...
                                X