Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health and Wellness for Modders...What is your plan for 2009???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ask,
    What a great list! I love Habitat too, though I help them more with fundraising than hammering. That Pan Mass Challenge sounds interesting - how many days? I too enjoy biking, but don't ride in events. I just enjoy going 20 miles or so whenever I can fit it in, usually a couple of times weekly in nice weather. I also bike to work when weather permits.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi Sunbeam:
      PanMass is a biggy: 192 miles in 2 days: Sturbridge to Provincetown. There are shorter 1 and 2 day rides. I'd want to do the whole thing. Like I say the fundraising is the part I don't know how to do.

I often ride to work too - really easy 4 miles each way. A fun weekend ride is 15 - 25 miles maybe more later in the season. I've done biking vacations where I ride 60-70 miles a day, but thats get up in the morning and ride, eat , ride eat until sunset. It's a fabulous way to see the countryside and beside MA, VT, NH and ME I've seen great parts of Ireland, Greece, Austria, England and Scotland. France is on my list. I lOVE mountains. oh now I'm carrying on.

Read your post in "My Story" today. Am thinking I might do that too. Good job, and let's keep up the good work.
      Ask

Comment

The problem with plans; the plan within the plan...

I'm going to start getting a plan together too. I don't want to be left behind here!
        I probably overthink things; but I'm having trouble getting a plan together because I start thinking of the plan within the plan...
        A resolution, or idea, can't be successful just by throwing it out there; for example, "I'm going to lose some weight this year"...Oh yeah? HOW MUCH weight? How are you going to lose it? A specific diet; going to the gym; do you have a work out buddy or personal trainer??? Every plan has to have a plan...So I've been dragging my feet. I'm almost ready though. :H
        ~Kid~
        It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Sara, Eve11 and Janie I am going to print out your "goals" and read them whenever I need to. Totally amazing!! You really have thought out your plans and have your goals in mind....I thought I did, but will have some real soul searching to do and commit to something more tangible!

Comment

Hi All,

These are all great plans. I'm going for simple. I'm aiming to find out what it is I truly want and focus on that. I think I'm with Oprah - I crave balance. Once I achieve that, the food calories and the wine find their own equilibrium. I need equal parts of doing for others and doing for myself. The holidays, with all the family and extra doings, make that a hard thing. So, now that we're to January, I'm back on square one with numero-uno. Time for some quiet reading, a new bible class, some anti-wrinkle cream (it's the dead of winter) and an occasional couple of miles on the treadmill that's lurking in the basement.

Comment

Great thoughts and plans everyone, and thanks for the support!

Just wanted to pop in and say (since it's in my plan) that I bought a "teach yourself to knit" book and some needles and yarn this weekend. I taught myself how to cast on and do the basic knitting stitch. I'm knitting a red scarf for my son's stuffed black panther. He's so excited! (my son, that is, not the panther). It's very reinforcing because he keeps checking my work and saying, "you're doing really great with that mom!"... The other boys crack up, because all they've ever seen of knitting is little old ladies on cartoons. But they're impressed, too. I know it seems like a trivial feat... but I'm realizing why it's something I wanted to do:

I want more creativity in my life. As a mom, it's been all about caring for others, teaching and nurturing my kids, cleaning the house...All of that is important, but I wanted a small hobby that I could relax and enjoy. (Of course, I'm making something for one of the kids, not myself...Baby steps :H )

I needed something to mark the end of my day besides a drink. I can sit with my husband and knit while he has his end of the day drink. My hands are busy, and I don't notice the missing wine glass as much.

I'm showing my kids that you can always learn new skills...Even at the ripe old age of 44.

I have a vision of myself that I'm ready to fulfill... The warm, creative, relaxed mom...As opposed to the stressed out mom who's angry about the messes and the rough-housing and the squabbling and needs a glass of wine, dammit! There's something about knitting that fits in with that image for me. Next, baking bread!

Hugs to all. Sara
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Nice visual Sara. I can see it. I think you're doing GREAT!
                Ask

Comment

I haven't been posting as much in moderation since I stopped succeeding after a long time of doing well...

I am with Vera B. I crave balance so much! In every area of life.

I am going back to the rules that served me well for a while including: no drinking alone, drinking with food, not drinking to cope with loneliness and other problems. The trouble I had with the rules was that when I started going out by myself, I counted this as not drinking alone. But it is in a way because there isn't anyone with you that you know well so it's a chance to overdo it and it's also an anxiety-prone situation.

I think that needs to change. And I stopped drinking for loneliness but I still used it for anxiety. Then I started gradually to drink a bit at home though I never brought a wine bottle back.

So it's back to the basics for me. I am adding daily meditation and regular listening to the hypnotic CD.

Nancy

Comment

So good to hear from you Nancy!!!! I've been watching Oprah this week and she's all into "the best life." All that means is to live our healthiest, most fulfilling life. I'm totally into that and have redoubled my efforts in all areas. I've picked up my exercise pace (even enduring the treadmill on the mornings when our Boston streets are too icy) and am doubling my veggies to keep the winter blahs at bay. My Ladies Bible study class is studying the book of Esther, which has the benefit of studying theology and the implications of life as a woman. All good stuff. I know we all use booze to help us through the rough spots, but one way to keep the booze at bay is to reduce the rough spots! Sure makes all the mod goals a bit easier. Anyway, I hope you're having a wonderful start to the new year along with the rest of the Mod Squad. Here's to exercise, good spirits, good food and many happy moments.

Vera-b

Comment

Hi Guys,

Vera, Sara, you sound great. Nancy, it worked before you can get right back on track that is for sure.

So my initial plan for 30 days AF if going okay. This is day three and I have carb cravings galore. I ate way too many potatoes and dark chocolates that is for sure!!!

I have been cranky and finally went to the gym today since I am starting to feel better. I noticed this past month of when I was drinking too much again that my husband was on my last nerve all the time. I am sure the holidays had something to do with it but after doing great from June-November I really see how drinking had negatively affected our relationship. It was much better from June-Nov. At least he wasn't on my last nerve and there was more intimacy. Drinking too much stole my life for a long time.

So I am still committed to my plan of 30 days as a start.

Glad to see all of you...ask, angelique, kid, sunbeam, sara, nancy, vera...it is nice to have this support.

dhs

Comment

Vera, I've been watching Oprah too. (well I am addicted to Oprah!) I want to start anew, but am having problems with lift off. Did you see it today, with the woman who had been burned in a car accident with a drunk driver? I have seen her before. It is sobering, to say the least.

Comment

Kid Shelleen's Progressive Plan for 2009

Plan for 2009

For Physical Health
                          1.) Modify my moderation by drinking even less
                          .....Three AF days per week-1-2 drinks when drinking,and then only highest quality spirits
                          2.)Be 180 pounds by year's end
                          >.Renew gym membership/go to gym twice per week-Drink less alcohol-no uneccessary sweets-at dinner,a small plate (nothing after eight)
                          3.)Keep up the good sleep hygiene. Sleep is not time wasted during the night and if my body needs it. (I'm finally starting to sleep well)
                          ....Bed by 11:30PM-No coffee after 12 noon-Cut down on alcohol
                          ....Read for 30 minutes in bed
                          For Mental/self esteem Health
                          4.) Get up after great night's sleep, make bed right away.
                          .....Shower quickly,shave if needed,put on clean clothes and start your day. It's a clean empty canvas, it's YOUR story;go express yourself!
                          5.)Commit to the daily "Self-Improvement Routine"

....Piano,Spanish,Keyboard,exercise

For MY Daughter

6.) Do things with her

.... Get up and have breakfast with her-Create an adventure on your days off together

7.)Get HHGs room painted,shelved,resided.

For My Marriage

8.)Date night or dance lesson once per week with wife

For My Job

9.)Look into the certification Boss wants me to get

....Does K have the books and tapes or should I buy?

....Join at least one professional organization
                          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Kid,
                            You did it! Finally came up with your plan. Hubby and I do date night once a week and date week once a year. After all, when the kids are grown and gone who's left looking at each other? So, we keep the bond there and the romance alive. 20 years together (18 married) ain't too shabby!!
                            Eve11
                            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Great idea, Eve...

Never enough romance!
                              ~Kid~
                              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Great Plan, Kid! It made me realize I need to include exercise in my plan! Hubby and I agreed that if we both meet our exercise goals for January, we'll set up a date for the end of the month. Weekly would be great, but one of our other goals is to spend less money, and babysitters around here make $ 12 an hour. Okay, so my exercise goals:

Do a Stott Pilates workout five days a week. I love Pilates, so this really isn't a chore. It's a gift to myself...To take the time from other things to do it, at home.

Four days a week, get at least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise. We belong to the YMCA, but I know I won't make it there that often. So walking, dancing to upbeat music when I'm home alone or with the kids, or running races around the yard...Sledding (and trudging up) snow-covered hills with them instead of watching from the top...Make movement a bigger part of my life. (I stayed so thin when they were littler and I ran after them all the time. I've gotten more sedentary as they've gotten more independent.) Now, I'm going to make myself MOVE!
                                "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Working...
                                X