Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread for January 5, 2009

Hey Lila -

yeah the food here can be... hmm, a challenge. It all depends on what one orders, at which restaurant, and what type of cuisine... there is a very diverse range of cuisines in China. North Chinese fare, for example, from around Beijing, is very different from cuisine from Central China, say from Hunnan province, which is in turn different from Sichuan cuisine, which is different from Taiwanese... Shanghainese... Yunnan... Xinjiang, Tibetan... the list goes on and on. But yes, at some places if you order a fish.. you can end up with a fish. Well, almost. So it just depends on which provincial cuisine one is eating, but generally I have to say it's all cooked food in China. It's the Japanese that are into the raw sea-food... not so much the Chinese at all.

Now, WHAT gets eaten here in a whole separate story... Not for the faint-hearted.

I hope you have the chance to make it out here to Asia some day. It's an incredibly vast, diverse continent, with many cultures, peoples, cuisines, histories... even just China is, and then Asia as a whole continent, of which China is just a part, is 100-fold more so.

My world continues to grow also. Speaking of which I read this great piece by the Indian-American writer Pico Iyer the other day called 'The Nowhere Man.' The writer's description of his life experience feels strangely familiar to my own. Last week while I was in India I took at an overnight train to a place away from my home town. In the hurry to catch my train I forget to carry any ID... My friends were joking that I have become a "stateless actor." (A term coined about the terrorists who carried out the attacks in Mumbai in November.)

Somehow the term fits. I too have become a nowhere man. I'm not sure I'm happy or sad by this realization. It just is what it is.

Comment

PS. Smog's a bit better these days!!

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Zed, thanks for the lovely descriptions of the world you live in. It's such a wonderful escape to read the details of life in a distant land.

Here in New England, we had a big snowfall last night. I'm the first one up in our house, and although it's still dark out, I can see the glowing snow drifts in the light of the white Christmas lights that adorn our rickety picket fence. Our tree is still up, too, also covered in white lights, and it's very cozy in our living room, with its wide pine plank floors and exposed beams. Nothing fancy, just wonderfully old...feels like it could be 1810, when the house was built...Except, of course, for the little white light bulbs, the heat and (thank God) the internet!

Dhs, I completely understand your decision. SMART is a great community, too, and these connections are an important part of "recovery", whether it's recovery to abstinence or moderation. Come back any time!

Lila, gotta agree with Zed, so I'm glad you're not going to ask your hairdresser about permanent eye-liner. Thanks for the sweet thoughts on women and make-up, Zed. Lila, how do you use Kudzu? Do you take it daily, or just as needed? I've been taking it three times a day since January 1. The first time I tried it, before I joined MWO, but after reading the book about a year ago, I thought it was a miracle. For a few days I couldn't even bring my self to have a glass of wine. Now, it's lost is potency for me. Maybe I'll try taking it once in a while, instead of so regularly. Anyone else tried it/using it?

Vera
        , great to hear from you. It's wonderful to come here and laugh, isn't it?

I had two glasses of red wine last night, and got a little sleepy again. Funny how my tolerance is low now...I'm going to work on having one
        and sipping very slowly. It was a nice evening with the family though. I got to choose the movie for "movie night", so we watched "Field of Dreams" which I love. My oldest boy is a baseball fanatic, so he appreciated it a lot. The younger two just like the ritual of cuddling up with mom and dad and watching a movie...Doesn't matter a whole lot what it is. Lots of swearing in "Field of Dreams" which the kids commented on, but no "f" word, which they also noted.

I'm going to go browse around the site until I hear the sound of thundering feet running downstairs, and the voices of little boys, ready to start the day. See you later Sara
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

That is too bad about the kudzu. I take a different brand, NSI Kudzu, because it does not have any soy isoflavenoids (sp?). You are supposed to take lots more than is recommended in the book. Look around this site for program updates. Have you tried Lglut? I should take that. Honestly, i am not happy with myself right now. But I am starting to move forward in life. So things will fall into place. People have had lots of success doing the program exactly, but not with meds.
          Zed, I am going to click on that link now, I feel rootless myself. Sometimes I just want to move where it is warm, but where I am is growing on me!
          Lila

Comment

What I mean, is lots of people have done so well on supps they did not take meds...

Comment

Thanks, Lila,
              I'm not taking any meds. I'm tweaking the supps. I'll try taking Kudzu and L-Glut at around 4:00 today, and see if it helps. I'm sorry you're not feeling good about yourself. :l
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

HI all: just checking in here. Sara: we're very close I realize as I read your description of the snow. I was awakened at 8am by my snowplow guy. Not as romantic a description as yours, but glad to be able to get out without my having to dig! BTW: I saw "Corn is Green" at the Huntington last night: LOVED IT. My friend who has subscription said the best she's seen there in years.

Due to lovely aforementioned plans last night had a great AF evening and plan to get out and do a little XC ski this afternoon. Maybe some time online (trying to have a social life - your have to kiss some frogs). Not much else happening but such is January.

Good to see everybody and let's all keep plugging away at our 09 goals!

Ask

Comment

'Morning all --
                  Sara, yes that's it exactly. The rise in my drinking is due to obsessing about it and trying to drink less. I take the kudzu and wonder, hmm, do I want to drink? I read these boards and of course the topic is drinking. I think for me it's best to read/post a.m and that's all for now. I will take the kudzo with my other supps and take my mind off it. I do enjoy the boards and I've learned a lot but they are not a substitute for life. I love your description of life w/ the kids. That takes me to the happiest time of my life. Mine are 18 & 20 now.

Lila, I did post on the divorce thread but it was kind of painful for me to read/relive some of that stuff. You're a dear to point me that way and I'll keep it in mind on an as-needed basis.

I'm actually going to work on my plan for the year. Til then, my one resolution is to focus on gratitude. I see some pretty contented people here. That reminds me that better days are on their way for me, too. One more thing to be grateful for!

Comment

Hello everyone, went to a 21st last night (a friend's from church), did OK on the drinking front as I stuck to half measures, I only drank in total about 6 units.
                    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Morning Friends!

Good Morning ,Mod Squad,
                      While we are talking about meds and supplements; my own opinion is that eventually one must go on without them ( anti-craving prescription meds) so the sooner the better. If a persons diet cannot be adequate and or they are going to drink moderately forever, then some supplements are going to be necessary.
                      I use Kudzu sometimes, on my AF days; mostly because I got a sample jar with my subscription,but also out of curiosity. I don't know whether I'm psyched on my AF days, or if the Kudzu works, but the days seem to go well. I only take one; and I take it with my supplements. I'm a big believer that our bodies will try to build up a tolerance to ANYTHING. I'm concerned that if I take the Kudzu in too great a quantity, it won't work any more.
                      Lila: You DON'T sound well. I hope you get to the bottom of it; we're obviously all here, if you need to unload.
                      Sara: I think you are starting to see why I stick to ONE drink when I can. I know you don't feel good (except for the initial buzz) after two drinks, although the difference seems SO insignificant at the time, doesn't it?
                      Zed: How is your resolution to "simplify" going, and is that even POSSIBLE in your situation? I certainly enjoyed the link to "The Nowhere Man" and I guess when I think about it, a life without roots to get tangled in might be simpler in its own way.
                      Everyone: I was unhappy with my obsessing about alcohol when I started with this site. Who WOULDN'T drink more?? After a month or so now I'm drinking alot less, not posting quite as much and feel less obsessed. I guess it levels out.
                      I'm at work in the ER. I'm reading your posts more than I am able to post back.
                      Have a great one.
                      ~Kid~
                      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

lenaleed,
                        Spending time here at MWO probably can contribute to drinking more, if you spend time with people who are drinking. Have you considered posting on the monthly abstinence thread? I know you are not right now trying to abstain, but there would be a lot of helpful thoughts in that section to help you through the day.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Something I wonder about as well, Sunbeam...I do wonder how complacent I have become, on the other hand, I am making positive changes in my life very recently.

Comment

To pact or not to pact

Sarasmiles;515743 wrote:

As for me, I would like to respectfully request that I be officially removed from the pact. As I said once before, guilt and anxiety and perfectionism are things I'm trying to let go of. It was a mistake for me to say I'd do 2 weeks...It's really making me feel pressured...and that doesn't help me to not drink, at least at this point.
                            Hey Sara,
                            I can relate about the pact thing. I think I would feel bad to break it as well - guess that's why I'm trying to pact one day at a time when I do. For me, rather than pacting AF I see the need to pact no more than my usual 2 or 3 if it's an all day event.

Had an all day birthday party Sat. Ride in the limo - 2 glasses of champagne and then spaghetti dinner that night with family and it was just too easy to have one red wine after another so at the end of the day with the champagne and wine I had totaled 5 which is WAY over my usual!

I do believe if I had pacted no more than 3 it would have helped me to keep on the straight and narrow. Without it for me it was just so easy to keep on drinking.

Anyway, it's a new day, a new week tomorrow and I'm back on track again.
                            Hugs to all
                            Eve11
                            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

So my lovelies,

Last night I went to the China Grill in Beijing, which is perched on the 66th floor of the Park Hyatt Hotel. What a view!!! All 4 sides of the restaurant, and the roof, is made completely of glass. Holy crap. Had a lovely dinner (roasted tomato soup, spicy scallops and honey-battered king prawns) with my friend/ colleague from our Los Angeles office. Ordered a lovely bottle of 2007 Oyster Bay, a very solid Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. I had a couple of glasses, and after dinner we walked down to the 65th floor, to the China Bar, for an after dinner drink. I had a Macallan 12 year old single malt. Hm. Lovely.

Of course I wanted another one. That will never change. But what has changed is that I said instead, "waiter, can I get the bill please?" Maybe it was the setting, the atmosphere, the company... it was a place to be Classy, not crass.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm going to expense the evening to my company... I don't usually pay for meals like that myself. Not even close to being that well-off, nor shall I ever be (thankfully.)

I was home by 11.30 after dropping my colleague back to her hotel, in bed by 12, woke up at 8 feeling superb, with a clear head.

That was, from my own perspective, Moderation at its BEST (following the Quality Rule.)

I think My Way Out might be through Quality...

Sara, your description of your lovely pine-floored home was great. 1810! Only in New England! Thank you for sharing that, and I could just see the snow drifts in the early morning New England light, with the lights on your rickety picket fence. I spent quite a bit of time in Boston and up in VT. But that was many lifetimes ago...

Lila, you are GREAT. You are learning, and we all are learning. I have seen you come SO far since the start of the winter... keep moving girl. You're headed in a good direction I think.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVE! : )

Cheers you all.

Kid - my plan to simplify is coming along well. Yes outwardly it can be difficult, especially with the kind of life I lead due to its somewhat unique circumstances, but my point to Simply is more about what's going on INSIDE me... about how I think mostly. Controlling one's mind is key. I feel good, simplified inside. Going home helps me with that. I feel so 'centered' after going home. It really puts everything into perspective for me. It's that sort of Real place, where all the BS falls away really quickly.

Even a Nowhere Man has a home somewhere... even if 'home' is family, old street corners and alleyways remembered from childhood.

Mind you, having said this, I still have my formidable demons, but for now I am fighting them down well, and I am winning the battle. I have asked the Universe for its help, and it is helping me... (through great people like yourselves, for example)

But it's one day at a time this year, and for the rest of my days. I must remain on guard. My journey into wellness will never end so long as I'm breathing. One day at a time.

Love, all.

Zed

Comment

Working...
                              X