Mod Squad Weekly Thread for January 5, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trixie- hope your neighbor is ok....good for you though! Wasn't it torture....not the "not drinking'" part...but having conversation with someone who's drunk when you're not....I can't stand peole when they are hammered. Ironic isn't it.
    -jen
    :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

cyclefan;511938 wrote: Hi Modders, Happy New Year to you all. I read this thread with enjoyment every day. Congratulations on all your successes!
      thanks for this cyclefan, nice to see words of encouragement. Kid some powerful responses to your post, phew some soul searching going on, very interesting and honest views here, so much food for thought! AA your so right, know your limits and if you cant mod dont kid yourself, some great examples here of how that lesson has been learned the hard way!

Ive had a great long walk in the frosty night here and now snug in bed with hot choc and my little notebook, slept like a log last night feels so good to be in control, fresh and focused. I actually think my eye sight is better when i dont have wine, anybody else notice that?

Sorry the pact isnt for you vlad, its important that we all find our way out so whatever works for you is undestandable, glad you have found a place that feels right for you. good luck ,

Eve how are you doing with your points??? SaraS how is he south beach going?
      Im loving the healthy eating, January is such a good month for fresh starts and new hope, Lila how are things? Not sure what you meant on your last post?

Jamms your food treat sounds fabulous, i bought myself an espa candle to-day, makes my bathroom smell gorgeous and I wallowed in a hot bath for ages, much better treat than alchohol. How do others treat themselves, so important for your well-being to have something to look forward to at the end of the day, share yours please x (sorry for the girlie talk!)
      Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Hi Everybody,
        Kid, thanks for sharing your life. Putting it all down in front of you is a meaningful experience for each of us.

Vlad, I will miss you, but I am happy to hear that you have a new home.

Janie, Trixie, Cyclefan, nice to see you all here.

Lila, what's up?

Keepwalking, I'm getting out on my snowshoes most days now, as well as swimming on Mon and Fri a.m. If I don't do the snowshoes, I will be on the indoor bike each afternoon, after work. I don't walk well, so can't join you with the pedometer challenge, but I am keeping moving. I am also recording everything in my food diary. I keep a small spiral notebook right next to the microwave. My favorite weight reduction book is called Mindless Eating.

St. John, there really is a wealth of ideas on the monthly abs thread. The toolbox thread is priceless for AF people or those just needing an attitude adjustment...
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi everyone!!!!

Nice to catch up a little. Another long day with work, kids, and eating way to much. Now that I am catching up on my sleep and getting out of the fog I plan on going to the gym tomorrow. I am on day two of my 30 day AF goal. I need to find the tools and start making a plan.

Kid, thanks for sharing your story. You are a great guy. I am happy your joy is back and things are working for you and your wife. Your success gives all of us hope for a balanced life, control, and happiness.

Yes, Sara I think you have it right about SMART. Although, it is not a long-term fit for my goals it really did help bring me to the point I am now. They stress choice...the choice to drink or not to drink. Problem is there is only one right choice...NEVER drink again. This just was not something I could really internalize so I was also just a time bomb.

Although I believe in God, go to church every week and pray I was never interested in AA. I joined an on-line group once and it was just too much for me. I felt pressured and unable to discuss feelings. Plus, I have come to believe we do have choices and control and this is not a disease that can't be cured. I am also not one for getting a sponsor and such.

These are just my thoughts. Someone may have a different take of course.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day tomorrow. I am not able to stop by and post as much as I would like but I do look forward to getting to know all of you better.

In a nutshell, I am 43, married, have three kids (9,7,5) and just started working very part time. I live in Southern CA and do enjoy the weather. I have been drinking for 20+ years it seems. Before I decided enough was enough I was probably drinking 2 bottles worth of boxed wine everynight...mostly alone...after the family was in bed. Day in and day out I did this and I was sick of feeling run down, tired, depressed, and guilty. I was tired of worrying whether I had enough to drink and making excuses to get to the store. I was tired of hiding and looking forward to shutting everything out so I could drink. It was time to stop numbing myself and repeat the cycle over and over.

Since June of last year I have been trying to figure out how and what to do. I found SMART and was AF for 60 days and also many weeks although not in row. This past month was not good but I feel with MWO I can get back on track. I need to find the toolbox thread.

Okay, I really need to get to bed. More later.

Thanks for listening.

dhs

Comment

Good Morning all!

Still my morning to drive. I'm up sipping coffee and feeding Lazydog and the honey-haired-girl (grits with cheese and a pop tart). Cat's home today, I think we have a dance lesson at noon (we're BAD, just so, so bad).
            Dhs; Good to hear you sounding determined and HAPPY. I'm not sure if the "toolbox" is exactly like SMART's but it must have useful things in it or they wouldn't call it a 'toolbox'. I'm sorry, I'm getting ready to go here, or I'd find it again and point you in the right direction.
            Everyone have a great day.
            moderation in all things...
            ~Kid~
            It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

P.A.C.T. ratz...

Cross my heart,and hope to die; Stick a needle in my eye.."
              * Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
              (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)
              Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

*JAMMS: Started "the program" (and a 2 week AF/Modder MWO Program Starter thread!)
              ..2 weeks AF until Thursday Jan. 15th(at least) (good luck)
              *Kid: AF Friday, Saturday,Sunday

*KW: Mon,Tues,Wed,Thuday

*Sara,St J, and Sunbeam: 2 weeks AF starting Jan 2

.. (Sara and St J are in the "Program" too)

ANYONE ELSE??
              Feel free to join in
              with any ongoing pact
              (or start a new one)
              Remember
              :you've :h "crossed your heart" :h

ModSquad:

Vera-b,Lila,Sunbeam,Kid,Jamms,Ask for Help,janie
              St John,KeepWalking, DeeBee,Sara,Periwinkle,Eve,
              Vlad,Trixietrack,StartingOver,
              Zed, One2many,(Cyclefan,Zeppie,Gyco,J-vo,WIP, and Tawnyfrog visit)
              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Kid Shelleen;512614 wrote: I'm not sure if the "toolbox" is exactly like SMART's but it must have useful things in it or they wouldn't call it a 'toolbox'.
                ~Kid~
                Good morning, modders! Very nice thread y'all have going! The "tool box" thread is in the "Monthly Abstinence" section of the Forum, right at the top. You are correct, it is not at all like the one over at SMART (which is EXCELLENT, in my opinion!), but rather is cobbled together ad hoc, by MWO members, to post strategies that we have found helpful. Certainly there are ideas in there that could be useful for anyone, regardless of goals.

I guess that it might be accurate to say that here at MWO, the book by RJ is considered the equivalent of SMART's "Tool Box... " although I really think an approach that integrates the best aspects of both of these programs would be more helpful to more people....

Hoping everyone has a good day...

Comment

Hey Everyone...
                  Just posted a long one on Kid's thread about shifting goals from abstinence to moderation, so I must not let myself spend a lot of time here...I have work to do.

I did want to send out love and good wishes to all...There is so much good work going on here. I especially wanted to say thanks to Kid for sharing your story. I admire your honesty, and your strength. But it's steel you're made of, isn't it? Or are you part iron?
                  "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hi all
                    Just wanted to say good luck all - the new mod squad does not work with my personality either, I am very glad everyone seems to be doing good with it, I do not want to be discouraging in any way, just that it is not a good fit for me right now.
                    I am doing okay, just joined a fitness club and that was amazing for my depression.
                    Hope to **see** you all around!
                    Love
                    Lila

Comment

I feel so sad when I see posts like this! I guess it's in my personality to immediately think, "Is it me? What did I do? How can we make it better so everyone stays and feels comfortable????" I know these shifts in the make-up and dynamic of a thread are bound to occur...But it makes me sad nevertheless. I guess that's all. Sara
                      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sunbeam and Sara-Thanks for the clarification regarding Moderators and SMART.

WIP-Thanks for the toolbox info for everyone. You ARE a wealth of knowledge and I always appreciate your input.

Kid-Your story was soul searching...everyone can relate. My story is on my blog for those who don't know me. Look to the upper right of my post and click blog entries.

DHS-Thanks for sharing about you! Looking forward to getting to know you better.

My one MWO friend stressed so much about not naming everyone and having feelings hurt when she posted. I can't get caught up in that as time doesn't permit and it's not good for my stress levels. So to all that posted and ever post on the same thread I appreciate your input and hearing about your lives even if I don't take the time every time I post to specifically address each and every one of you.

Vlad and Lila, The only constant in life is change. Regarding your feelings regarding fitting in I guess my opinion is to take from this group the help that you can and leave behind what doesn't work.

When some of the members were getting caught up in long posts about childhood memories it was wonderful to read about (especially when we're all from different parts of the world) but I felt at the time I didn't want to take the time to write about my childhood memories as it wasn't a crucial thing to my recovery at the moment. So I would just skim some of those super long posts, not take time to post about mine and would take in the recovery info that people shared that applied to me.
                        Neither one of you have to PACT. This was an added benefit Kid brought to the board but it's not mandatory. If you'll notice I haven't pacted anything this week. I like the pacting and I don't. Sometimes things (adventures, spontaneous, crazy things) can occur and as a successful moderator I'd like to be able to say "I want to enjoy that drink!" If I've pacted to be AF then I would feel guilt, remorse, etc. so I'm not real big on the pacting either. However, it does keep me more accountable so I think I'll be pacting more about meeting my weekly goals here and there than AF goals. Remember, it's not something we HAVE to do. This isn't a Pacting only board.
                        You both have so much to share. We had a tight little group going and I miss you guys! Accept change, flow with it and it would be great if you hang with us. If not, hope you find a fit that works for you.
                        Love,
                        Eve11
                        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Is it my breath?

Sara,
                          You are the considerate one,aren't you? Eve's got it right. We have to take what works for us and leave the rest. I've tried a few of the other threads, but it's like listening in on a party line. I just don't fit there right now, either.
                          Oops, sorry this is short. I'm reheating some "Hoppin' John".MMmmmm,Yummy!
                          ~Kid~
                          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I do still check in here and read the posts - I just don't feel an inclination to post here much.

Eve - I've started my blog but what a good idea to post your story on your blog. Mine's still under Tell Us Your Story but you've inspired me - I may copy and paste it into my blog. Do you happen to know how to categorise folders though? I've not worked that out yet.

Anyway, for now - here's mine: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8...ory-22702.html
                            Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hi, modders! You all sound good- just undergoing change and Eve said it best -"Life is change!"

My mantra for the New Year is "conversion" and that is taking me to new places too, but I'll be checking in.

Your St.J
                              Toughen up!

Comment

Hi all:

Just checking in. I'm doing well in the New Year. Feeling confident about weight and alcohol and glad to have some New Years goals. Work is more interesting than usual right now, although I always enjoy my job. I'm currently participating in some strategic planning, which I'm good at, and gives me some increased visibility with the bigger wigs.

Had some challenges w/ my 14 y/o over the holidays so am glad we're back to school/work routine. More on that in another thread.

Have yet to read the "When to give up on modding" or "when to return to modding" on General, but think it will be good reading.Glad to see modding getting out there more.:goodjob:

Vlad and Lila: hello: nice to know you're reading if not posting. Just want to reiterate that not everyone is pacting, but when you feel you need a little extra support, it's nice to know it's there.
                                Vlad: I can see from looking at Army thread that it's much more interactive, chatty and real time than this thread, which would require people in your same time zone. We'll be thinking of you.
                                Lila: Hope school is going OK.

SO must get out in this yucky rain, sleet, snow mess and be productive!

Best to all of you.
                                Fondly,

Ask

Comment

Working...
                                X