Mod Squad Weekly Thread for January 5, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi modders- I'm confused about all the posting and not posting tallk that's going on so I'm just going to say...

KID- no I don't think it's your breath..yours either SARA. :H What is "hoppin john"?

WIP-Thanks for the input....I have been meaning to take a look at SMART I will get to it...eventually.

I'm back at work today and feeling good..Day#7 woo hoo! I do have a question though...me and my oldest son are developing a nasty bronchial congestionee cough. Is it okay to take cough expectorant/suppressant before bed? I was going to take it last night but hubby said "wait, that has alcohol" and I said " that doesn't matter" and he said "you'd better ask your friends" ...so I'm asking.....

have a great day everyone...check in later :l
    :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

JAMMS,

When I was AF (and wishing i wasn't), I used to look forward to my little shot of Nyquil at night. A non-AL eqivalent was pointed out to me, much to my chagrin...Many things have alcohol in them. If they don't set off an urge when you are trying to do AF;or if you don't overuse them ,knowing deep down (like I did) that I was actually doing a shot befor bed (Nyquil has alcohol AND Benadryl in it, which together packs a wallop for a desperate alkie) then I think you're OK...
      ~Kid~
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Jamms - if you feel you may be risking tasting alcohol and that it may start a trigger then find an alternative. Honestly, I was at the hospital tonight, washed my hands with the alcohol based handrub and guess what, just the smell got me craving. It does smell like vodka though.
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hmmm, was looking through my old posts and found an old mod thread I started: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...-go-23619.html

I looked through a number of my old threads too - it's interesting to look back at your journey from time to time.
          Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Wow, those stories my mom told me are TRUE! She told me that a real alcoholic would drink mouthwash for the alcohol. As I grew into an adult, I thought she had overstated the case. My parents didn't drink at all until the doctor recommended a glass of wine after my dad developed heart problems. I think he never really enjoyed the wine, though. I used to enjoy a variety of alcoholic beverages, but the alcohol in household products never called out to me.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sunbeam;513230 wrote: She told me that a real alcoholic would drink mouthwash for the alcohol.
              This used to be my final fix for the evening especially LISTERINE TARTAR CONTROL.
              :H

Comment

Sunbeam,

I did. I do.

My doctor asks me about it. She is trying to "measure" where I am by the answer.

I wish I could laugh. Nope. Not laughing.

I have drunk Listerine, Vanilla, and OMG other products that have alcohol.

I cringe when I admit but I do admit.

I am a wysiwyg. Truly.

Hubby hates that about me.

I admit, I truly do.

I have drunk mouthwash, vanilla and other stuff,

Sorry. I am a true, dyed in the wool, alcoholic.

If I have the option, I drink real alcohol but I don't have the option.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

JAMMS: "Hoppin John" for New Years...

JAMMS,
                  I had Hoppin' John today, left over from New Years..We eat it for luck!

Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year.
                  Rice for riches and peas for peace.
                  - Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.

Hoppin' John History

Hoppin' John is found in most states of the South, but it is mainly associated with the Carolinas. Gullah or Low Country cuisine reflects the cooking of the Carolinas, especially the Sea islands (a cluster of islands stretching along the coats of south Carolina and northern Georgia). Black-eyed peas, also called cow peas, are thought to have been introduced to America by African slaves who worked the rice plantations. Hoppin' John is a rich bean dish made of black-eyed peas simmered with spicy sausages, ham hocks, or fat pork, rice, and tomato sauce.
                  This African-American dish is traditionally a high point of New Year's Day, when a shiny dime is often buried among the black-eyed peas before serving. whoever get the coin in his or her portion is assured good luck throughout the year. For maximum good luck in the new year, the first thing that should be eaten on New year's Day is Hoppin' John. At the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, many southern families toast each other with Champagne and a bowl of Hoppin' John. If it is served with collard greens you might, or might not, get rich during the coming year.
                  There are many variations to traditional Hoppin' John. Some cook the peas and rice in one pot, while others insist on simmering them separately.
                  Most food historians generally agree that "Hopping John" is an American dish with African/French/Caribbean roots. There are many tales or legends that explain how Hoppin' John got its name:
                  It was the custom for children to gather in the dining room as the dish was brought forth and h op around the table before sitting down to eat.
                  A man named John came "a-hoppin" when his wife took the dish from the stove.
                  An obscure South Carolina custom was inviting a guest to eat by saying, "Hop in, John"
                  The dish goes back at least as far as 1841, when, according to tradition, it was hawked in the streets of Charleston, South Carolina by a crippled black man who was know as Hoppin' John.

ana;">Hoppin' John Recipe
                  2 cups dried black-eyed peas
                  Cold water
                  1 pound lean slab bacon or 1 pound meaty ham hocks
                  1 large
                  onion, chopped
                  1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
                  4 cups water or chicken broth
                  2 cups uncooked
                  l
                  ong-grain white rice

Salt and black pepper to taste
                  Before preparing dried beans, sort through them thoroughly for tiny pebbles or other debris. Soak, rinse, and drain dried black-eyed peas. Place black-eyed peas in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 2 hours. Drain and rinse beans.
                  Using the same large soup pot, over medium-high heat, add soaked black-eyed peas, bacon or ham hock, onion, and red pepper. Add water or chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the peas are tender (do not boil as the beans will burst).
                  Remove bacon or ham hock and cut into bite-size pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir in rice, cover, and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
                  Makes 8 servings.
                  ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

hi all, another good day for me, just popping in to say hi and thanks for all the wonderful info you share, more tomorrow, 23.18, here am so so so tired, i love being sober as i know the true pull of sleepiness that is not induced by A!!!!!! nite nite and look after YOU!
                    Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Vlad and Cinders,
                      I hope you don't feel I am laughing at you. I truly am surprised at the household products. I had such a sheltered upbringing... and in many ways my life still is sheltered. :l, you are good people. I am glad we are all here, sharing in the foils of humanity.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sunbeam,
                        I only knew about the alcohol products by watching the show "Intervention". One family refused to buy vodka for wife/mom so she walked around with her mouthwash drinking that all day!!! I was shocked!
                        So, I guess when some of us question are we problem drinkers or alcoholic...I hope the person chugging the products can admit they're alcoholic. No offense Cinders and Vlad. I appreciate your honesty. That's just always been such a question of am I alcoholic or not? To me...that one would be an easy answer.
                        Kid, Thanks for the southern lesson. Hubby and I throw a big Mardi Gras party every year or so. I'll be hanging on to your recipe.
                        Hi Keeps and everyone else!
                        Hugs to all,
                        Eve11
                        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

5 pm pact anyone? I'm new here and know mods is the only way for me. I work at home alot and have to talk myself into noon for the first drink. When I need to be out and about and don't start to drink til 5, my drinking stays to 5/ day (sad I know but this is good for me). I'm waiting for my naltrexone and sinclair book to arrive.

Comment

Welcome, Lenaleed!

Welcome to the Mod Squad! :welcome:
                            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi Lenaleed,
                              Welcome! Some of us have a 2 week pact that started on Jan 2. Does that help? I think you are really looking for people who drink daily, but waiting until 5 p.m. to start, is that right? Personally, I am just an occasional social drinker (less than weekly), and don't post until after I get home from work.

Comment

Welcome, Lenaleed! Hi Everyone.

Well, I caved and had one glass of wine tonight, feeling a little guilty because of the pact. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't pact, either. I'm trying to get away from feeling guilty for every thing I do that isn't perfect...Not just drinking, but stupid things, like running out of maple syrup when the kids want waffles, or not volunteering to chaperone on a field trip, because I have too many other things to do...or somebody else deciding this thread isn't for them! In a way I like the pact idea...But I think for me, it's more important that I learn to take it easy on myself...Not indulge my every whim of course, (I'm pretty far from that) but also take pride in my small accomplishments. I waited until Hubby was home tonight to have a small glass of red wine. I wanted more, but I held back, waited, made a cup of herbal tea, which I'm sipping now. I didn't drink at 5 or 6 or 7, alone with the kids (who have been driving me insane today! Cute little buggers...) I decided to have it at the very end of a long day, and I sipped so slowly, I made it last for 30 minutes. It's like having a small piece of dark chocolate when you're on a diet ( and I am on a diet...One of the reasons I decided to do 2 weeks AF, as I started South Beach). You (I) can't let that one treat make me feel like a failure...So, I say, unapologetically, I will make an effort not to drink for the rest of the two weeks, but I don't promise it to anyone. Okay?

By the way, I have yet to lose an ounce on this diet! That's discouraging. I only want to lose ten pounds...Even five would be okay. But not an ounce yet! Discouraging. It's enough to make me want to throw in the towel and eat a big bowl of pasta, accompanied by two glasses of wine. :H But I won't.

Forgive me my trespasses....I'm working on forgiving myself. Sara
                                "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Working...
                                X