Mod Squad's weekly thread for the week of Jan 12th, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because I am working out now. Also, I order from Vitacost, and to make it worth it I would need to order a few bottles and don't want another charge on my Visa right now. And I feel okay now...I think!
    It did help a lot. I was taking it mostly for anxiety this time around. My ex is making all our divorce issues very difficult...well, things are not over yet, but maybe I just am getting used to it. And feeling more confident.

Comment

Hi Everybody,
      Sara, thanks for the tune. I'm listening to it now as I type. What a difference a day can make, or a song. Brain shivers do not sound liken much fun.

Lena, that internal change is an important milestone. It will enable your success. You can feel it, and so can we.

Zed, everybody here is always in my prayers. What a special group.

Lila, here's a seasonal kids craft: use a calendar photo to make an envelope: fold in the sides 1" or so, fold up the bottom 1/3, fold down the top 1/3, then cut it at angles like an envelope flap. The kids write a thank you letter to Santa for the gifts. Put it in the envelope, burn it in the fireplace, and the smoke will take it to Santa!

The deep freeze temps are on our doorstep, but there is no wind today, so I was able to again go out on my snowshoes in the fields. I saw a red fox two days ago, and always many deer. Too bad these big beautiful creatures are so disease-ridden and destructive. People around here call them rats with hooves. The great news is, I think the snowshoes exercise is helping me walk better. I have neruological and orthopedic problems which make walking more difficult, but I think the softness of the snow with the weight of the shoe are combining in a helpful manner. My shoes have built-in springs (Spira brand) and this helps too. I have been through months of physical therapy without too much improvement, but the this seems to be working. Yay!

take care, all
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hello modders!
        Lila- who is Tony DeMillo? Never heard of him(?) but maybe I should check it out!
        DeeBee- Thanks for the kind words. Thank God I'm not drinking right now.
        Eve- you're a doll as always. Vrai vrai mignon.
        I love you all -can't spend anymore time here today- off and running again..........
        Blessings
        Toughen up!

Comment

Hi all,
          Just came to say "hi!" Hope everyone is doing well. I kind of left abruptly and I feel bad. I'd posted about myself getting into "a mess" again. I was getting into some of the same patterns that had gotten me so deeply depressed before. So I made a commitment to myself (I see some of you are making pacts with each other and that's a super support system) to go AF. I'm on day 12 and things have been looking brighter for me. I still have these fights/struggles but I'm going to do this. I've been posting up in the general section in hopes that I can regain some confidence in myself and learn ODAT.

Hope you all are doing well. From the posts, I see you are. Keep up the good work!
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hey j-vo I too am on day 12! Keep strong, my friend and I will say a prayer for you.
            Toughen up!

Comment

Hi mod friends,
              St. John started a thread on the general discussion board entitled "L-glut just saved me". Thread is about how L-glut helped St. John one night with extreme cravings and she was wondering if anyone else had had the same experience. I responded to that post tonight but because some of you only stick to this board or may not see that one I cut and paste my response as I thought it was crucial for modders to hear as well. So here it is. Good night to all and talk to you tomorrow.
              Big hugs,
              Eve11

MWO buddies,
              Well, I got my L-Glut experience tonight! FIL is bi-polar, visiting our state and just hasn't been doing well.
              Hubby and I laid down the law and told MIL and BIL that we were taking him to ER. He lives in a ho-dunk town and MIL wants to rely on those kind hearted docs but they don't have the experience of big city docs and everything is W-A-Y messed up. So, long day at work - busy night with the kids - and then the "planned" trip to ER. Planned is more difficult (believe me) because with a huge emergency you're glad to be there even if you're waiting 5 hours! But planning to do it?? Another story. However as we had learned the only way to get him in to a psych facility was though ER first.

Well, needless to say, hubby suggested drinks for us after FIL had the ER experience and was admitted.
              Had 1 - food took longer than expected so had 2 to enjoy the flavor of the food with the fine wine. Came home...had a HUGE craving for another...knew I had an open bottle in the fridge from last week's party so I popped some L-Glut and low and behold it took the craving away!

Got busy doing dishes, etc. and was it spiritual or what but I then saw a non-opened tea bag on the floor (chamomile tea) so made some tea, came here and am going to bed.

So, Kid from the mod board - I can say two and I'm through!

Thanks to L-Glut? Guardian angel Eve? Co-incidence? or just the blessed luck of a good husband and a BFF? Don't know but thankful I won't have a hangover tomorrow.

Big Hugs,
              Eve11
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

A Winter's Day....

Good Morning, Modders!
                Cold, snowy and breezy here in River City..."Invigorating" walk this morning, to say the least.
                Glad the evening came together,Eve. "Two and I'm through" is a good mantra. Sara invented it when she decided my,"One and I'm done" didn't quite do it for her! I'll have to look into the L-Glut for emergencies. Sounds like some are getting good results with it.
                Got the girls off to school and work and I'm helping Ed out for a few hours; but I don't really have much to say this morning ("for a change",yeah, I HEAR ya...) so I'm going to go get my third cuppa java and see what the day holds in store.
                Stay moderated.
                ~Kid~
                It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

:thumbs: Eve, that's great! I think it's fantastic that L-Glut is helping people, but I also think it's fantastic that you had the presence of mind, the willpower, the rational thinking it took, to take the L-Glut instead of just pouring yourself a glass of wine! Well done, girlfriend!

My brain is less zappy today, so far. I read up on this phenomenon and fish oil came up as a remedy. I had some, so I took it yesterday and this morning, and so far so good.

Off to get ready for work now. Be well everyone! Sara
                  "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Fish oil?? Had I only known! It never occurred to me that anything would help at the time for withdrawal.

Comment

phase 2 day 2

Phase 1 was preparing and searching . . . I found these boards. Phase 2 is doing. I tried a 1/4 dose of Naltrexone last night and thankfully no nasty side effects this time. Per Sinclair method, dutifully sipped two drinks through the evening. Two glasses of sparkling water with one carefully measured "unit" in each. Another day, another miracle.

A special day yesterday. My daughter, eighteen, is off to Washington D.C. for the Inauguration, a ball and many parties. I played personal shopper while she was at work, picked up two gorgeous dresses and brought them to her hir salon so her stylist could help choose. The whole salon gathered round and oohed and aahed.

My kids are a big motivation for me. I want to be the person they think I am. We've had brutal ups and down in recent years as the marriage finished crumbling and the divorce wars ensued. I'm done but their Dad wants to keep it up forever. They see it. They feel safe with me because I don't need or ask for their protection. They can tell crazy Dad stories, trusting that I am not collecting ammunition as I listen. We enjoy being around one another. They can chatter away about their lives knowing I will not (try not to) judge or give advice. When they ask for help or advice, they know I will not (try not to) overstep my bounds.

Two whole days . . . no going back.

Comment

Hi friends,

boy, I've just had 2 very busy days. No time, non-stop from waking up to late at night, at which time I've managed to fall asleep from sheer exhaustion. Most of it comes from work going a bit bonkers, and the rest from trying to remember to do the things I need to do to keep... the rest of my life... going... ha.

Things are particularly hectic, as mid-next week China goes into a week to 10-day long New Year holiday period. EVERYONE goes home. The place closes down. Literally. For a week or so. So, it's a mad rush to get all these things done.

Fun.

Yes Lila I do have a unique sort of life. It's not better than anyone else's life, it's just different. Ok, I'll be sure to take you in spirit, to all the restaurants I go to.

Tomorrow for lunch I will go to a Taiwanese restaurant. Care for some dumplings? I'm craving for a plate of fried rice. Some dried beef or something, plus a bunch of greens. Steamed spinach and cucumbers. I'll have an extra bite for ya.

Ok, so it's late here. Have trouble getting to sleep these days, even though the days are non-stop and by the end of them I am absolutely exhausted... guess I'm still used to pouring a few drinks down my gullet to get to bed at a decent hour.

Been AF since that nightcap and mojito night. It's nice. Will be AF tomorrow also, and then on Saturday I have a night out with some friends, so that will not be AF... But I'm going to make damn sure it's MOD. Sunday needs to be a beautiful, calm, clear day.

Cheers you all.

DEEBs. good luck with quitting the cigs. Hope you make it out of that. I used to smoke too. Pack a day for 4 years. Then tapered off and finally quit. This was thankfully, a few years ago. Thank the stars for that. One habit I did NOT need.

Sun. Thank you for your nice words. I feel wonderful.

Kid, you are sounding very good man. Very centered and relaxed these days. So great to hear/ feel/ see. Your calm center. I have a feeling, that when you are at your best, your lovely family and the people you know, are some of the luckiest people around anywhere. Your kindness and cool wisdom shines through.

VERA - Good for you, and I take inspiration from your Faith. Please say a small prayer for me when you can, I will be grateful for your kind energy and your good thoughts to the Almighty.

Eve, St. J, Lena, Sara...

Good night to you my dear friends, to all of you.

Comment

Lena, I am so glad for you! How many mgs of Naltrexine are you on? You know, our situations sound so much alike...
                          Zed, I used to travel a lot as a youngster!

Comment

Hey Squad,
                            All's quiet on the moderate front, eh?

Just checking in, but I want to spend some time with my good book before I go out again for a meeting.

St. John, I agreed to this two-week pact, which I think included you. Would it help you to continue, or am I off the hook? I have no plans this weekend to consume any alcohol, so it doesn't matter much to me. But I would be happy to help you if you like.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

End of Days...

Running out of white canes and seeing eye dogs...
                              How are we doing???

P.A.C.T (Promissary Alcohol Controlling Tool)

Cross my heart,and hope to die; Stick a needle in my eye.."
                              *Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
                              (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)

Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

*JAMMS: It's Thursday Jan. 15th(How did ya do??)

*Zed: The month of January!!(Zed says:"er..never mind")

*St J, and Sunbeam: 2 weeks AF starting Jan 2

.. ( St J is in the "Program" too)

*Kid: Thursday,Friday,saturday

*Eve: Promising TWO DRINKS come Hell or high water!!

ANYONE ELSE??

Feel free to join in
                              with any ongoing pact
                              (or start a new one)

Remember
                              :you've :h "crossed your heart" :h
                              It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hey buds!
                                Sun- I have 2 days left of the 14 day pact. You are off the hook if you want to be! You have been a great friend jumping in with me.
                                I must say that I may continue as I am feeling SO great physically. Just missing a little zzz's as my drink of choice now when out is iced tea.
                                Too much caffeine for me! I'm not used to it anymore. Living in Paris I would lose count how many espressos I would have in a day.
                                There was too much to do and see to sleep anyway!
                                C'est la vie.........................
                                Everyone is doing so great and i love checking in. Got to go pick up my karate kid
                                Blessings
                                Toughen up!

Comment

Working...
                                X