Mod Squad's weekly thread for the week of Jan 12th, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished catching up with all the posts, and want to respond before the chicken roast is done!! It's been a busy time in Vera-land but so good to read all of your news. St. John, I love your new name. Delta Moon sounds so young, so current, so musical. I can see you performing at a folk festival. Zed, I can barely imagine any woman breaking your heart. When I was single (many, many moons ago) I didn't know many men who had the ability to express themselves as beautifully as you. You know the response from Vera? She's the loser here. Yep, her loss. Feel sorry for her, and God bless your new partner. She sounds like she's worthy. Eve, you write so beautifully. I love reading your posts - they are so open, honest, hopeful and smart. You are one of the main reasons I keep up with this site - I'd miss the wonderful words you and Sun put out there on a regular basis. And Kid, it sounds like you're the "anchor" of your household - you go, guy!! Lila, sending all manner of positive vibes as you deal with all the cold and dark of the winter, and to the Deebs, I'm jealous that it's your summer. Don't mean to exclude anyone, just working on aging memory here. Hope you all have a wonderful week, and enjoy the inauguration as much as I expect to!!

Vera-b

Comment

A soft place to land

'Morning All --

Yesterday for me was happily peppered with texts from my daughter, who is on a road trip to DC with her friend. I feel truly blessed that she shares. I'm having one amazing vicarious adventure.

Eve -- I sent you a pm about the Sinclair method. It is a hot -- and heated -- topic in the meds forum. I read and post there often.

I've come to view this thread is my refuge on this site. Soul food. Safety.

I visit and post on other topics to educate myself, and sometimes it's a jungle out there. I see many of you in other forums, so you know what I mean. Vigorous debate furthers wisdom, but it can be a bit draining. On occasion I pop in here quickly just to read a bit and get centered after I visit other forums.

I am so grateful for the generosity of spirit I find on this thread. Support without judgment. Sharing the journey with its joys, fears, successes, failures. Life's daily pleasures and foibles.

A soft place to land.

Take care all -- Lena

Comment

hi all -
        Peri, so nice to see you back! I was wondering where you were...
        St. John/Delta Moon, I thought you were a man, too, a long time ago. I think the new name is pretty. Reminds me of summer. I went to New Orleans once. It really was a fun vacation.
        Sara, thanks for sharing your dreams. They can be so powerful. I have gotten a lot of guidance from dreams, and how intense yours are, I am sure it is telling you something.
        Vera, yes, inaugeration!! Is it tomorrow? Monday? I will dig out the tv, set up the bunnyears and not miss this. Same went for election night. That was so exciting.
        Eve, we should both take a class in Remedial Computer Stuff. I can't post links, download pictures, all that stuff that my kids can probably do as easily as breathe. Never too late to learn, though!
        Zed, another great dream. What kind of boyfriend are you, I wonder? Maybe an invasive question, you can ignore this if it is, but I will probably start dating, you know, when I am ready, feeling settled and normal, so anytime you want to share more, go ahead!! Good to have a man's perspective!
        Sunbeam, yes, the thirty days, that is a tradition here - the Sinclair method is different. I am going to look at that thread, sounds interesting. I remember someone not having a good experience with it, you never know what works. You, of course, are such an inspiration, being able to truly mod.
        Kid, yes, nice to know you don't NEED it...
        Ahhh! Not so cold out! Days are getting longer! I really can feel it.
        happy Sunday modders!
        Lila

Comment

Hi all:

Just checking in after a rather difficult week. Not happy with the numbers or frequency I've had to post on drink tracker, but today starts another week, and another chance to start over and regain the success I've achieved.

Very difficult triggers this week around Mother-daughter issues: learned last weekend that my 14y/o was hiding info from me, so had to up the oversight this week, which meant leaving work to be home w/ her after school.That took adjusting my schedule at work, which is OK for now, as I work my a** off and am appreciated there. But meant lots of limit setting and therefore resistance from DD. At one point she threatened to leave to go stay (live) at another family's house.

I've been calm towards daughter (who calls me the "worst mother ever"), but I'm really feeling hurt and upset. I have talked on the phone with my friends several times this week for support, but have felt hemmed in and a bit trapped, missing my usual "day off" and time to recharge my batteries. So have looked to AL for my "treat" a couple of evenings, which I really do enjoy, but I so don't want to go there. So I have to get back to exercise, and "me" time and balance instead of giving it all away to the kid and work.

She is off to her Dad's for a day and a half and I have to make the best of it. We got another 6" of snow, so a little XC ski is on my afternoon agenda, then a movie with a friend tonight.

Thinking of you all!
          Fondly,

Ask

Comment

My good wishes to all. Thank you for another intelligent and thoughtful week. I love visiting this thread.

Comment

Thank you all for this thread it is really helping me a newbie......

Comment

Hi everybody,
                Kid, we watched a 60's movie this afternoon called Catbaloo. It had a Kid Shaleen character in it. Thought of you, or course. The movie was really hokey, starring a very young Jane Fonda, and Dwane Hickman (remember Dobie Gillis?)

The weather has warmed back up enough so I could go out on my snowshoe walk today. There is a lovely view of the valley from the top of the hill.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Yes!! Cat Ballou! She's mean and evil through and through! A very sixties, camp cowboy black comedy. Saw it at the drive-in w/ my mom and sister when I was a little kid. (Sara I do have many warm mom memories too). I think Lee Marvin got the academy award for playing Kid Shilleen, the drunk bounty hunter. Jane Fonda was a sort of 60's cowgirl feminist heroine. I have never been a western fan, but I have watched bits of it on late-night reruns because it puts me right back there. Kid, I knew your name sounded familiar. 'Night, all -- Lena

Comment

Booklvr123-WELCOME!! Always love to see a new name.

Lena: Thx for the pm about Sinclair

Tawnyfrog-Hello! Keep dropping by!

Ask: I so understand the young teen thing! Very challenging. We have a sweet boy (almost 13) but we're getting little challenges here and there. PM me anytime if you want to talk teen.

Lila: Yes I could use a quick computer class with some of this stuff. Bit by bit I'm getting it but it's a lot of work at times.

VeraB: The whole inauguration story with DD sounds so great. Keep us posted.

Zed: Saw the most AWESOME movie filmed in India with most or all Indian actors entitled
                    "Slumdog Millionaire". Would recommend that film to everyone and anyone! Fantastic writing, acting, EVERYTHING!! Go see it everyone.

Peri, Sun, Delta, Kid, Lila - everyone who posts and has posted here this week - have a great night and a wonderful new AF or mod control week this new week!
                    Hugs,
                    Eve11
                    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Folks - no time to stop right now. I just caught up, but I'm running off for a short bike ride before the fitness center closes. Already 9.15PM... have 45 mins to break into a sweat. More later. I wanted to share with you all a little story I wrote from memories of my trip back home over Christmas. Cheers.

On the spur of the moment (literally), I took a train down to Goa on the 30th night, at midnight, arriving 31st at lunch time. I didn't have a ticket but I paid off the TC in the corridor at 3am and he was happy. A family of four, a young couple with 2 girls, one about 5 and the other about 2 and a half, had 3 berths and they gave me the third one, just like that. I said, "no it's ok, I'll get a berth, I'll manage it's ok" but they insisted, saying "the girls won't sleep separately anyway..". They snuggled up, mum with the elder girl, dad with the baby... and slept.. why they'd gotten 3 berths in the first place, I don't know. Perhaps they knew I was coming.

Panjim, Dona Paula, and new years at a beach house on Anjuna. I sat there on the beach as people swam and tranquilly walked by, it was about 6.30 in the evening, I just sat there alone for a while, and I watched the sun set in front of me. Looking back, it was one of the most beautifully, amazing minutes of all the countless beautifully, amazing minutes in my life. The light was golden, there was nothing but the sound of the waves and people laughing.. the sea breeze and the blue sky in twilight as it set over the Arabian Sea... I looked west just the same way I have done since I was a boy, looking out at the sea in Bombay for as long as I can remember, and I thought of all the places I have visited... west. And then I looked back behind me, and I thought... I have been east too.

Never thought I would go east, somehow, except maybe to Calcutta. And then I looked north-east, and over the coconut groves and past all the red mud earth, I saw China.

At 4 in the morning I went to the airport to catch a 7am flight on the 1st back to Bombay. A short trip home, and not much time to hang around anywhere for too long. That's how it is.

In the hurry to catch the train I hurriedly packed a change of clothes and that was it, and I forget to take any ID with me. I expected that getting into the airport and on to the plane would be more difficult than it was. Luckily everyone was as sleepy as I was.

The last time I made it to Goa was in the monsoon of 2000. I'd just returned from NYC and soon after that I went to work in the tea mountains of Kerala for 2 years.. and then I was off again and busy traveling the world, with any trips home being too short (4 days... a week at most) to go anywhere. I just wanted to stay in Bombay and savour friends, family... the familiarity of street corners, of old faces... being home.

In Bombay outside my high school the beggar who's been sitting there ever since I can remember, the man who has leprosy and moves about on the road on a little wooden plank with 4 aluminum wheels... he recognized me as I walked past him... we looked at each other and his eyes lit up... he said, "Baba!!" I waved back.

In my school I met the woman who used to clean the toilets, she was young then, now she is old and a bit bent, she smiled at me and said hi. So many people remember. I remember so little, maybe because I have so much to remember. But maybe everybody does have so much to remember, not just me, everyone has a million memories, even my little cousin who is 14 years old and who goes to J.B. Petit Girls' School in Fort, Mumbai, and who just adores me for some reason, even she does.

Maybe we were all born with a million memories and maybe we die only with the memory of being born, finally.

Comment

[QUOTE=zed;523983Maybe we were all born with a million memories and maybe we die only with the memory of being born, finally.Zed,
                        Awesomely beautiful story. Thanks for sharing.
                        When my precious adopted son was around 3 years old he looked at me and said "I missed you when I was in heaven".
                        We always tell our boys their souls picked us to be their parents even though they weren't created from our bodies.
                        I REALLY believe that! A million memories...yes, yes, yes.
                        Love you Zed and all my mod squad buds
                        Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

zed;523983 wrote: Maybe we were all born with a million memories and maybe we die only with the memory of being born, finally.
                          Zed,
                          Awesomely beautiful story. Thanks for sharing.
                          When my precious adopted son was around 3 years old he looked at me and said "I missed you when I was in heaven".
                          We always tell our boys their souls picked us to be their parents even though they weren't created from our bodies.
                          I REALLY believe that! A million memories...yes, yes, yes.
                          Love you Zed and all my mod squad buds
                          Eve11

Comment

I love these posts, Eve that is amazing. Zed, have you ever read that book Goa Freaks? Just that it is, of course set in Goa....
                            Lena, how is the Sinclair method going? Your daughter should be in DC now, huh?
                            Maybe all this dream talk is getting to me - I had so many vivid dreams last night...
                            Lila

Comment

That's beautiful Eve... you are SO lucky, and so are your boys. Love you too.

Comment

Working...
                              X