Mod Squad's Weekly Thread for the Week of January 19th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO folks... it's almost midnight here and I'm watching the inauguration live on CNN... as is my mother in India... and millions and millions and millions of people all around the world.

I agree with Kid... I'm a bit cynical too... but I agree with Lena too... I am optimistic. We can't lose Hope, it's just NOT AN OPTION.

Speaking of No hope... they just wheeled Dick Cheney out of the White House in a wheel chair.. appear he had an accident recently. Unfortunately it appears he didn't shoot himself in his own face. That would have been an improvement. Ha. (sorry for getting political here.)

Lena, will look out for the pretty girl by the first jumbo-screen. Wow. She's had some journey hasn't she? You should be so proud.

Re: last night's binge, I just feel stupid, that's all. Physically, not so bad. I suffered a bit today but not too much because it was good quality AL. Mentally, no guilt. Just stupid. You know when you know yourself so well, and still make the same mistakes.. all you can feel is stupid. No guilt, no hurt... just moronic for making the same old mistake that you've made a million times before, but thought you were too smart to make any more. Anyway... I don't look back... only forward.... so here's to not doing that again. Especially on a Monday night. Geez.

Single Malt is scotch. It's basically like any scotch, but the popular ones are Blended... which means that there is more than one Malt in them... like Johnny Walker Black Label, Chivas Regal.. Dewars.. all the famous scotch brands. Those are Blended Malts. Single Malts are just one malt... so in a sense MUCH more pure. There are distilled in special micro-distilleries in the Highlands or Lowlands of Scotland. The cheapest, youngest Single Malts are 10 years old... i.e. they have been distilled and allowed to sit and gain their age for 10 years at least... then there are the 12 year olds.. the 15 year olds... 18... 21...28... 30 years... anything after 15 years starts to get REALLY expensive... 18 years are pretty steep. Over 20 years cost over 150 dollars a bottle... some 30 year bottles cost as much as a thousand dollars each... gets silly. I'm in the 10-15 year price range which means spending 40-60 dollars for a bottle. It's a drink that's meant to be cherished. Savour 1 glass... nurse it... breath the aroma... roll it on your tongue... like good wine. That's how it's supposed to be drunk. So 1 bottle can last for ages that way, and it's worth the money. BUT... the way I drank it was idiotic.

Anyway as I said, moving on. Cheers guys.

Ok... think I'm going to stay up to watch the speech. The man can talk. He has some seriously powerful energy about it. It will be worth it, to see it live even if it means staying up until 1 here. They are saying this is going to be the most watched television event EVER. People in 240 countries and territories are watching it.

Let's HOPE AND PRAY FOR THE BEST! For the sake of the forgotten marginalized, downtrodden people of the world, if not for us, the lucky ones. That's where I personally need to see Change happen. And it all starts with this one good man.

Poor guy... he has his work cut out for him doesn't he? No pressure or anything

Cheers. Zed

Comment

Yes, I watched the Inauguration too. I thought it was symbolic that Cheney was in a wheelchair somehow. I really really like Obama, I did notice that more people cheered when he said something warlike than when he said something transcending. Is America ready for him?
      Hope so!
      Lila

Comment

hi squad, thanks for noticing ive been absent Kid!! i havent been posting much as am very much in the AF zone and doing lots of walking/running. sometimes checking in here just makes me think about drinking, its akin too being on a diet and then reading about the sorts of chocolates folks are eating or trying not to eat. i guess ive felt a bit lost as i dont know where i belong on this site anymore. i enjoy being AF, fit healthy and in control but i dont want to be AF forever because i want to enjoy a nice glass of wine when i feel like it, i guess im more like sunbeam but just not as strong, she seems to have modding down to a fine art! also you all seem so in tune with each other and when i post i get very little response to what i say so i guess ive stopped saying stuff. I aint gone forever though and i do love to check in but im in a strange place at the moment so please be patient with me. Must be a UK things as i see Vlad feeling similar. I guess we will all have times of posting and not posting? is that the case? Im rambling now so over and out .........
        Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Hi Everybody,
          What an uplifting day! I'm so glad the inauguration was scheduled for noon, so I and many others could watch it while eating lunch. Obama moves my heart when he speaks. We certainly do need change. I missed seeing Cheney in a wheelchair.

Kid, I can hear all the background to that Who song, but I didn't know most of the words, just the ones you put in red.

Zed, mistakes are a part of life, can even be a good thing if you learn from them.
          I never drank scotch, but I did enjoy bourbon mixed with apple cider. Some flavors are meant to be together. I didn't have any at all this past fall, but I will again sometime.

Keepwalking, if you are inclined to go AF longer, do it. More AF time is better, to enjoy and appreciate how good is without alcohol. Weekends are so much better, so many more choices of things to do. If you do decide to enjoy a drink again, think about AF weekends, using Drink Tracker so you really know how much you are drinking.

take care, all
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi gang,
            I got into scotch in my younger years as I was concerned about calories so figured scotch and water was as calorie free as I could get. Got into Johnnie Walker Red or Black. Definitely had to acquire a taste for it - I do remember that!
            Take care all. A historic day in the USA today - I think MLK must be smiling - he had a dream and it looks like it's coming true.
            Band of brothers,
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Walking girls DO love to ramble...

KW,
              Do post occasionally. We loved you as part of the group,but I know exactly what you mean, and at some point you might decide to stay AF (although "forever " sounds like a LONG time to a modder :H)
              Take care, you will always be an honorary modder; come back anytime!
              ~Kid~
              It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

hi all
                Keeps, I understand - to be honest I wonder myself if this site helps, and honestly I think it does. But I know what you mean. Nice to see you stop by, though! And that is so much how I feel. There is a lot of AF sentiment around here, which makes this little corner a nice refuge. You sound great!
                Deebee, you plonker you! (what is a plonker???)
                Kid, Lena, Eve, Sunbeam ,everyone - yes, even with all the economic doom and gloom, this really was a wonderful day, and I just adore our new President!!
                Lila

Comment

Keepwalking -- I'm new to this site and this thread but I've moved in and made myself at home. This thread sort of reminds me of the family room in my Aunt & Uncle's house. They had eight kids. Always something happening; Comfy chairs and couches all over and lots of hugs and great food and company but if you needed something you might have to help yourself or speak up. I read your posts and Vlad's before I started posting myself. So grab a floor cushion and get near the fire and catch us up. Some of us who are new and just know you a little would love to hear more about what you've been up to. Thanks -- Lena

Comment

keepwalking;525145 wrote: when i post i get very little response to what i say so i guess ive stopped saying stuff
                    Keep,
                    I think we all feel that way from time to time. Kind of alone and forgotten although I know people don't mean to do it to each other but sometimes it just happens. Sometimes I'm in such a hurry that I just skim through the posts and then when I have more time I go back and read them and think "Man, I should have responded to this post and that one and that one!"
                    So just know that everyone feels that way here and there and none of us should take it personal.
                    I can relate however to coming here when you're maintaining an AF state esp. when we're posting about the fine wine etc. that we had the night before. A little difficult.
                    Just know that you're always welcome and come and lurk and come and post anytime!
                    Big hugs to especially you
                    Eve11
                    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Well, there's a day for you...

Hi Modders,
                      By all accounts history was made today in the States...And I had one or two things touch me on a personal level...The day will be memorable, for sure.

The Mod Life is the Good Life! I took Cat out dancing tonight. We're learning the West Coast Swing; and though I'm a little stiff, I'm warming up to it, and have inspired moments when I really feel cool!

I love being able to come back here. I understand that this is a dynamic group. Modding isn't for everyone, but it's for me. I came to MWO because it tolerates (and even supports) Modders. I will always be a Modder; even as people come and go.

I had no alcohol last night so that I could "have 2 and be through" tonight. I had a great time. There was a little food, a little dancing, a little alcohol, a little laughter...The Mod Life is the Good Life!
                      Have a pleasant evening all.
                      Look for the best in the days to come.
                      ~Kid~
                      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hello Modders........Its 3 a.m. again and here I am pondering the craziness of AL. Are we ever free from this monster hiding and waiting for us to be weak and pounce on us taking away all of our sensibilities? The ugly thing will rise up at any time and will rob us of our joy, our love of life and our very souls. I am watching and wary- leave me alone you beast and let me be happy as God intended me to be before I let you rob me of my very life.
                        Toughen up!

Comment

Delta Moon,
                          Good for you, fighting off the beast. Don't let him take your life away. I REALLY HATED that drinking when I didn't want a drink, feeling compelled. Stay strong! The Lord helps those who help themselves, right?

1/2 hour later I am adding: you have been AF for over two weeks, so there is no alcohol in your body. What you are fighting is purely emotional, psychological, your old habits wanting to take over. It really helped me to make that distinction. I hope this helps you.

love, Sunbeam
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hello all! Going good here and very busy - helps to keep my mind off AL! But seem to have a lot of events and parties to go to at the moment, I'm dying for a free weekend. Got a wedding to go to this weekend, then maybe next weekend is free. Well it is at the moment... got the same problems with my evenings, every evening after work I have something important to do or somewhere to go - I'm exhausted! Thinking things will calm down mid-Feb... I hope!
                            Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hi guys

So yesterday was good. The inauguration, so glad I stayed up until the wee hours to watch it. Quite something. I loved the poem by Elizabeth Alexander. And that great benediction by Rev. Joseph Lowery. Brilliant...

Let's see what happens.

Delta Moon. 3am. Been there a few times this month. Fighting the beast off. Most recently on my scotch bender at the beginning of this week. Must keep guard.

Sun... you are amazing and will always be an inspiration to me in your steadfastness.

KeepWalking. Good luck and take it easy. Sorry like the others to hear that you felt a bit overlooked. That most definitely was not intentional. Come back anytime you feel comfortable, we're just a happy bunch of ramblers here, just wandering through and finding our way ourselves. The thing that connects us most is that we have no agenda but to provide each other a bit of support, and some compassion.

Lena - Loved your description of the Mod Squad. That's it!

Lila, have you seen "Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb?" Classic film by Stanley Kubrick starring Peter Sellers, who acts in 3 different roles in the film. Well, Cheney in his wheelchair looked just like Dr. Strangelove. Ha.

Eve/ Deebs/ Kids... EVERYONE else... Cheers guys.

So, what I don't think I've mentioned is that I am off to Germany on Friday morning... I get back to Beijing on the 4th of Feb. I will be in Dusseldorf for most of the trip, but will make trips to Koln and other nearby towns. Might even go down to Freiburg. Let's see. As some of you know, my partner is based there these days, so I am off to visit her over the Chinese New Year/ Spring Festival holiday... which last for a whole week here in China. Adding in a few days of leave from work at the end of that and making it into a 12 day holiday.

SO... see you when I get back! Tomorrow is about running around, a few meetings and way too much to finish doing... then in the evening I will pack a bag, and Friday morning I am off to the airport. Again. Geez.

A 10 hour flight and with the grace of God, I'll be at Frankfurt airport shortly after lunchtime (I save 7 hours with the time difference, flying West..).

You guys all take good care. Don't do anything I wouldn't do... Hmm, on second thoughts, hang on....

Stay strong and BE GOOD TO YOURSELVES. Will miss the company, but god willing, I'll be back soon enough.

Bye for a bit.

your wee nowhere man. Zed

Comment

Good Morning, Mod Squad!!!

(Busy morning already, I pulled this from my morning letter to a friend.)
                                I'm helping Ed this morning. Already I got up,took a shower, made HHG her breakfast, Cat's lunch for work, did some dishes,fed the dog,made my bed and took the girls to school. Now I'm working on a cancer patient with a nosebleed and a middle aged woman who probably has pneumonia...
                                Where's my coffee???
                                ~Kid~
                                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                                X