Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad's Weekly Thread for the Week of January 26th

Hi Modders,
    Lila, I'm not doing so well either...I had four glasses of wine last night, and so of course today I am very blue, on the verge of tears much of the time, actually. I had my first glass at about 3:00 yesterday afternoon, which really isn't at all like me. Then I just kept having more. Yesterday's drinking was entirely about trying to avoid dealing with feeling so disconnected from my husband. I just felt as though I couldn't take any more...and then I did the worst thing for me, and sought refuge in wine. I am so afraid that he and I aren't going to be able to make things better... I did contact an old professor of mine from graduate school today, who's a couples' therapist. If he can't see us, he may be able to refer us to someone else who's good.

I know in my head that there is no excuse for me to drink like that...even if my husband were beating me (which he's not) it wouldn't mean I had an "excuse" to abuse alcohol. But as most of you know, I'm sure, drinking like that is not a rational decision. I know I will feel a little better each day that I'm AF. I feel I should do it tonight, but I also feel strangely scared of the thought...I am really hurting so much, and I want something, anything, to make it stop. Alcohol will do that for a little while, but of course I know that the result will be worse depression once the alcohol wears off.

I've been such a complete downer lately. I'm sorry. This too shall pass. Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sara -- I'm glad I broke my rule of not peeking during the day when I have a sec. (Lila it has the opposite effect on me; makes me think about drinking so I stick to A.M. ).

I'll say again what I said before: There is no more lonely feeling than being around someone you love when the two of you can't communicate. Your lovely posts about your children are what made me keep returning to this thread. Just brings me right back to when they were at the age yours are now. My ex-husband wasn't around a lot so I didn't feel lonely. I'm always uncomfortable expressing it when I can relate to someone who has a communication problem w/ a husband, because I wasn't able to make it work. But of course that doen't mean you won't find a way. It's clear your heart is hurting and I'm glad you're reaching out to someone you trust to arrange for help. There's a tricky line between accepting what is and deciding what is, is unacceptable.

Did you get your name from the song?

Let's all "pact" not to apologize for sharing when we are down. My turn's coming. Should be in about ten days, according to daughter's timetable. If you know what I mean, Kid.

Lena

Comment

[QUOTE=lenaleed;529869

I'll say again what I said before: There is no more lonely feeling than being around someone you love when the two of you can't communicate.

Let's all pact not to apologize for sharing when we are down.

Lena
        Thanks Lena! I'll pact to that! I'm so grateful for the understanding. It's true...I'm much lonelier when my husband is home but not connected than when he's away.

My kids are home now, and I'm going to go give them some much deserved attention! More later. Sara
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hi Everybody,
          It's nice to read all the posts, but I think I'm running out of things to say at MWO. I'm still around reading if not posting. Let me know if I can help anyone with anything.

Take care
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Good evening all Monday squadders,

Sara, you have nothing in the world to apologize for. We're here as friends and confidants; and the task of loving a man who's not present in the relationship is perhaps one of the hardest of all. It's always a tough place determining when to be there for them, like it or not, and consoling yourself - all without leaning on our tried and true crutches like AL. Just know that these times of trial are not supposed to make any sense at the moment. Perhaps they will in the end, but God only knows. Just hang in there - we've got your back. Eve, Sun, Lena, Zed, Kid (sorry for the silly banter about pms - it's all absurd), Lila and everyone - here's to a week we can live with.

Vera-b

Comment

O.K. I will not apologize but I am SO d
              o
              w
              n tonight. Anyone out there?
              Toughen up!

Comment

Sunbeam;530067 wrote: I think I'm running out of things to say at MWO.
                I know that feeling Sunbeam. Sometimes you feel all posted out!
                Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Well, I have something to post about!!!

***SNOW DAY!!***

Just woke my honey-haired-girl up
                  to tell her
                  there is NO SCHOOL
                  !!

I hope she'll want to get out the sleds with me....

You all have a great day

I'm going to go find my shovel

~Kid~

Update: Made a double lunch for Cat to take to work in case she can't get home... Got my long-johns on and shoveled the walks... Let the Honey-Haired-Girl sleep in...Thawing out the fingers on the nice warm laptop and getting ready for the second round..taking Lazydog for a walk!!!

Vlad: You will NEVER run out of things to say!
                  Vera: Good advice!
                  Sunbeam: Just hang around and pipe up when the spirit moves you,OK?
                  Sara: Being a man myself, I'm going to speak on a practical level here...Assuming your man doesn't have another relationship (and I'm not getting that feeling from things you've posted) He can only be without, how should I say it; your "charms", for so many days before he softens (his heart softens,anyway :H).
                  I would think his days are about up; and you seem quite "charming" to me...
                  Look for a change in the "weather"!!!
                  Oops, phone's ringing. More later!
                  ~Kid~
                  It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                  ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

hi modders
                    I chose not to buy a bottle of wine today...I guess I don't like to count and obsess, and count days, but I would like to get out of this habit. So I just briskly walked past...
                    Sara, however your marriage goes, if it doesn't work for you, if he can't put in the effort, divorce is not the worst thing. On the other hand, I have read that when kids are young that is when marriages are most unhappy, and they get much happier after the kids are gone. The natural cycle. I had a very bad husband, so when I finally gave up, I was surprised to find myself so relieved.
                    Sunbeam, hate to hear you say that!!!
                    Vlad, how did you learn Russian? Can you read in it too?
                    Lena, that is a great idea for a pact! No one has to pretend they are happy here.
                    Hi Vera and Kid
                    Have a great Tues everyone!
                    Lila

Comment

Hello all,

DM, that is so funny that you can get Cere's juice there. Ceres is a place in the cape which has the most magnificent fruit orchards. I have never been there but would love to go some day.
                      And yes, you are right, I should go for a swim. I get too caught up in the work rut and forget to take an hour out to go and wallow in the pool.

Vlad, I would love to learn another language.... russian sounds very exotic. We were taught Afrikaans and Zulu at school but I'm afraid I don't use it often so I'm very rusty.

Kid, I believe Muslims can have up to 6 wives... I was just reading your post about everything you have planned for Monday and was wondering if you wanted another wife -- my hubby can't even put his clothes in the wash basket!!

Sara, no need to apologise -- that's what we are here for. It really sounds like you could use a friend to talk to and maybe a good hug is in order. I always remember the times I over-indulged were because of one of the HALT accronyms. I imagine you are feeling all of them at the moment -- HURT, ANGRY, LONELY and TIRED. You know that AL isin't going to fix your problems with your relationship, in fact it will probably just make it worse.
                      Sending a huge hug your way!!

Lena, I loved your post to Sara -- well said. And yes, I agree to pact with everyone not to apologise when I am down.... lol, I am just getting in early as I suspect next week you'll see a grumply DB as I will be quitting the twacks.

Lila, good on you for choosing not to buy that bottle of wine. Out of sight - out of mind, right!
                      "Apparently" I am rather snappy at the moment which I can only attribute to these pills I am on. I used to take GABA and 5-HTP when I first started the program and I think I need to get myself some more. They are great for helping with anxiety and a good night sleep.

Hi Sun and Vera.

Where's everyone else???
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

'Morning all -- Snow here but not enough for a "snow day" .
                        Kid -- Are you going to fix HHG a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup?
                        Does anyone remember a Saturday Night Live sketch in the late 70's that was a talk show called Women's Problems? There was a panel of Dan Ackroyd, John Belushi and Garrett Morris discussing "women's problems." I nominate Kid to the panel. Do I hear a second? Keep 'em coming, Kid.

Sara -- Could you use a snow day? Sounds like you could use one, Deebs.

Very best to all. That means you, Sunbeam. -- Lena

Comment

Lila;530374 wrote:
                          Vlad, how did you learn Russian? Can you read in it too?
                          I can read and write in it to a certain degree. I have a cyrillic keyboard on my machine at home. My spellings bad though. When in meetings I'll write 'I'm bored' or 'I want to go home' in Russian on my pad... And no one knows!!! Once upon a time I used to scribble, 'I need a drink!' when a meeting was full of interrogation as they were in my last job. Horrible. Why did I ever work there???
                          Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

DeeBee;530418 wrote:
                            Vlad, I would love to learn another language.... russian sounds very exotic. We were taught Afrikaans and Zulu at school but I'm afraid I don't use it often so I'm very rusty.
                            I'm a bit rusty too...

Ya plockha guvaryu pa russkey...

and transliteration sucks. :durn:

Comment

I want my cyrillic keyboard. :upset:

Comment

Hey Everyone,
                                Feeling better today, after just one glass of wine last night, a good night's sleep, and a more heartfelt hug from Hubby this morning. You're right Kid, he won't hold out for much longer, on the affection, connection, and all that goes with it. The question is, can I allow him back in without more TALKING ? Women like to talk. We need it. ( And I know you know that )

My energy level is up, so I'm off to do some chores and then spend some time in my office before getting the boys. I work tonight, so no alcohol for me. Easy-peasy. Thanks again for all the hugs and support, my friends. They're priceless! Sara

Comment

Working...
                                X