Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad's Weekly Thread for the Week of January 26th

For the rest of the Mod Squad (so you know what Deebs is on about):

Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

OMG! Have I been gone for one day??!!

I can't even begin!!! You ladies have posted beyond the threads limit..my laptop is too heavy to sit on my lap...I'll have to read all these later!

It was my daughter's THIRD SNOW DAY IN A ROW!!!
      Today we were up early walking the dog, eating breakfast then we looked at the cars and decided whether it was worth digging them out..We walked everywhere instead.

We went to the movies. Cat and HHG saw "Rachel getting Married". Fortunately, "The Wrestler" was showing too. I'm not big on doing things like restaurants and movies solitary, but I'm learning. The Wrestler was strange...Has anyone else seen it? What did you think? I liked it; but I'm an aging "warrior" of sorts.

We went to our little Italian Restaurant afterward. I'm on the "KId Shelleen diet" going into the New Year. My family ate like little piggies.
      I had seafood chowder and two Tanqueray Martinis. I actually taught the young waitress how to make the martini last summer. Now she has surpassed me, but seems oblivious to her own secret..They were sublime.
      "Two and I'm through"...
      Teapot is still whistling...
      Back later.
      ~Kid~
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Sara, hmm you got me there. I don't really have much to say at the mo other than I am sh*tting myself for tomorrow. I can't believe I am so worked up over stopping smoking. I've been telling myself for the last couple of months that if I can beat the beast of AL then surely I can kick the habit of smoking.... now I'm not so sure.... I will NOT smoke tomorrow.

Vladster, poor Roz needs to get out from under that desk!!

Happy Friday everyone -- what's your plans for this weekend?
        I think I will be keeping myself VERY busy doing stuffs lol.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Weekend PACTs

P.A.C.T (Promissary Alcohol Controlling Tool)

Cross my heart,and hope to die; Stick a needle in my eye.."
          *Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
          (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)

Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

*Zed: The month of January!!(Zed says:"er..never mind")

*Delta: Friday,Saturday,and Sunday?

*Eve: Promising TWO DRINKS come Hell or high water!!

*Kid,Sara: Saturday,Sunday

ANYONE ELSE??

Feel free to join in
          with any ongoing pact
          (or start a new one)

Remember
          :you've :h "crossed your heart" :h

Comment

I just had to share this will you. I subscribe to a spiritual newsletter and check out what it says for this week;

Totem energy for the week:

The Ostrich: This totem teaches us that we can deal with current issues in a practical and level headed manner. By taking heed of your inner voice and intuition you’ll be able to see the truth within any situation and not be fooled by the insincerities of others. Burying your head in the sand won’t serve you while there’s much going on..
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

hi Modders
              Deebs, is that for everyone, or person-specific?
              I am a little sick today...low energy. Maybe that's why I had been feeling so crabby these last few days.
              I LOVE our 'pact' that we don't have to just be happy here, that we can go ahead and rant!
              Hope everyone is feeling good today!
              Lila

Comment

Hi Mod Squad,
                I've got about an hour to myself before going to get the kids, and thought I'd say hello. My sweet dog is gazing out the window, so we'll walk again soon. I must say, Lila, as you think about getting a dog, one advantage is that you can't hibernate for too long. Every time she drags me out for a walk, I feel better for it.

A friend of mine who lives religiously by a rule of only drinking on Fridays and Saturdays is coming over this afternoon with her three kids. She said she'd bring a bottle of wine, so I will have a glass, or more likely, two, with her. It will be controlled, and friendly and civilized... But I would like to join the pact to be AF tomorrow and Sunday. Cross my heart and hope to die. It will be hard, being home with my husband. Sometimes I feel so tense and stressed around him these days, a drink seems like a way out of that mood. But if I keep drinking every night for any more nights, I fear I'll really dissolve into my sadness. I need strength.
                "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

hi Sara
                  One thing that helped me a lot was not doing anything - but just noticing. Not forcing issues, just noticing. Noticing his behavior, noticing mine. All the defenses I was using - that was a form of strength...being afraid to see. I mean also not trying to fix things.
                  If that makes any sense.
                  You will get thru this!
                  Lila

Comment

That makes sense

Hi Lila, yes that makes sense. Just observing, just noticing.

A very sad day for me. I just read that one of my all-time favorite authors, John Updike, died the other day. Our Kid kind of reminds me of his writing: a man's man with an unwittingly feminine side. In addition to his famous novels, Updike wrote a series of short stories in the New Yorker. In an undergrad class in the late 70's I did an oral interp of an excerpt from a story I think will touch a nerve with many on this thread. It's called Here Come the Maples. The protagonist takes care of some business he left unfinished years ago. Here is a link : Fiction: Here Come The Maples: The New Yorker

Vlad: You are on to me. I thought I had veiled my anti-Russian hostility but since you have outed yourself as not a true Russian I am willing to reconsider. Auggghhhh just kidding!

Have a great weekend all, and if you do tip one, please raise your glass first to a brilliant American author -- Lena

Comment

lenaleed;531716 wrote: So anyhow I'm breaking my rule again peeking on this site during the day. Because it's a great diversion when you have a deadline and want to procrastinate. So I see a post from some precious soul asking for a chat and I go diving in for the first time. I get there and it all looks like Vlad's ceruilic or something. My name looks like rpflghppl yet I do not feel I am drowning. I try to bow out while others try to throw instructions to the drowning chatter. All while some brave soul is having a real crisis. I got off and prayed for the poor person whose attempt to reach out was briefly crashed by me. I consider myself tech savvy and I chat & im w/ colleagues all day but the chat tool on this site threw me. Someone please offer to schedule a practice session some time.

Back to work where I belong.

Lena
                      hi lena please read the post from bella called dont judge me and then you will understand why chat was ceazy when you logged on last time. please dont let this put you off chat is valuable sometimes x
                      Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Just checking in fellow modders --

Happy Friday all! So sorry to read of your distress DM and Sara - I have very little to add to the conversation. I made many a mistake while in the dating stage, but was very fortunate that the man I chose to marry was a prince. It's his goodness that has encouraged me to be a better person, and seek out this site to control my drinking. He loved me, but hated the drunk Vera. So, it's been a partnership all the way. I truly think this should be the standard.

And dear Lila, you have a yeoman's work ahead of you. It's quite a challenge being there for your children while still being present in your own life. Be sure to sign up for events or other opportunities that nurture you so that you don't lose yourself in all the parenting. And Vlad, you are so full of life. I wish I could visit you and get to know you personally, though the real problem would be choosing between your place and Miss Deebers. Perhaps we can all meet in some lovely, exotic place?? And to the manly men, well, keep on keeping on. To everyone else, enjoy a wonderful, safe and sober weekend.

Vera-b

Comment

I'm just "noticing"...

Hi Modders,
                          I'm going to follow this advice and just "notice" today...If you need any manly-man advice, just ask...I'm here; noticing.

I'm working at the ER today. Someone asked what I "did" once, and I forgot to answer. (I do want just a little privacy in case I leave myself logged in somewhere, but yes, I call myself "semi-retired".)

Earlier in life I made a couple of investments that didn't pan out exactly as I planned but I still refused to go back to working 40 hours while I'm young enough to enjoy my spare time.:H

I have a little training in this and that so life doesn't get boring. I can work in a health care setting, which is ALWAYS interesting when it's not frustrating...
                          Great day to my Modder friends
                          More later,
                          Kid

Lila;533476 wrote: hi SaraLila;533476 wrote:
                          One thing that helped me a lot was not doing anything - but just noticing. Not forcing issues, just noticing. Noticing his behavior, noticing mine. All the defenses I was using - that was a form of strength...being afraid to see. I mean also not trying to fix things.
                          If that makes any sense.
                          You will get thru this!
                          Lila
                          It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

HI all: I'm just checking in.

Have been following this thread all week, and including everyone in my prayers. Haven't felt I have much to add, but know that I care about each of you.

Sara, Lena, Lila, Delta:The relationship issues are tough; at times when I am lonely, I remind myself how lonely it can be to be in a home with someone who shuts you out. I admire those who have a kind companionable partner, and wish for one myself, but for now, my plate is pretty full, and I just keep plugging away. Having been through divorce I am willing to support anyone going through same, just PM me, and know that I read your posts with a soft spot in my heart for you.

Eve: good work w/ FIL - very complicated stuff.
                            DeeBee: Good luck w/ stopping you know what. (don't want to be a trigger).Are you using Chantix or Nicorette or something to help?
                            Kid: I work in Health Care too. I'll be working until 70, never retired, I"m afraid. I do the opposite end of spectrum from ER . . . Geriatric, chronic care.

Hi to Vlad, Keep, Vera-B, Sunbeam Zed, and anyone else I might have missed.

I've had a good modding week. My day off was also a snow day so didn't get the "me" time I like, but layed around in bed nursing a sore back, which is now better. Have to take it easier in yoga as this is two weeks in a row that I've been limping the day after. Icy conditions are treacherous here.

Daughter's report card is expected any day, and will confirm that she needs extra help getting organized to manage a high school load (she's a young 14 and distractable.)

So new challenges, same life. Its all good. But I'm looking forward to a sunny week in Florida in Feb.

Best to all.
                            Ask

Comment

Hi Everybody,
                              Like AskForHelp, I'm reading here every day, but losing my volition for posting. After a year both Ask and I should be moving on with our new lives. I always will be willing to help anyone if I can, just invite me. This is not good-by, I am still reading if not posting.

Ask, I was thinking of you because I am planning to XC ski with friends tomorrow. I haven't for a few years, partly due to drinking, and partly due to my orthopedic and neurological issues that drove me into depression, made worse by heavier drinking. Anyway, we will be on a pretty straight, flat trail, so it shouldn't be too hard on my problem joints. Snowshoeing this winter has been fabulous for me - gentle steps, no twisting, no speed, no risk. Now I'm up to increasing the challenge.

This year, we are heading to Vegas for a few days, instead of Florida, in mid-Feb. January has been quiet, February begins to pick up speed in my life.

Take care, all
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hello all,

Seems like a quiet night tonight. Hubby and I just got back from Boston where we had dinner with daughter #1. It was delightful. It's always fun to get together with your grown children and have a "grown-up" kind of night. Lila - that will be you someday. Great to hear from you Sun and Eve - you keep me striving forward. To everyone else, enjoy a great weekend - will talk to you this week.

Vera-b

Comment

Working...
                                X