• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 9th Feb

Going for a walk...

Modders,
    It's a windy morning here, and greyish.
    Though I'm far inland; it reminds me of some times in the Carolinas.
    The kind of day, that when one is staying near the ocean,
    there are whitecaps as far as the eye can see, and a gray swirling sky lowering to meet them.
    The children would rather stay in,
    and so a man can take a long thoughtful walk alone;
    with his well known beach becoming an adventure.

Though I'm far inland, and I don't know what this weather is going to do;
    I'm feeling a deep contentment today,
    with that stirring of adventure in my veins,
    and I KNOW it will be a day for my mind to go back and walk that beach
    and think wild thoughts...
    ~Kid Shelleen~
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi gang and like vera apologies for not posting more often!! I have explained why before so I know you all understand this is what works for me. I was reading some posts over the weekend on here and my o my it doesnt half remind me of why I dont drink much at all these days!!! Some real crazee stuff. Anyway everyone sounds fine and dandy here in terms of A intake and ability to mod so well done, i love this squad. So nice to see some new faces, welcome welcome, great to have you. Lila where are you my friend? I have been doing great, lost another 3 pounds at ww so am at target weight now which is great as i fly off on holiday to some sun on saturday. I intend to mod on hol which will not be difficult as it is a girlie holiday and two of them dont drink at all, so moderation for me and the others is the key to a great time. I intend to do lots of walking( of course) and eat plenty of lovely healthy med food, yummy. Any news on sarah?? I know she wanted a break but its been a while?

I will check in again before I fly and as soon as I get back, I am aiming for an AF free lent???? will be looking for a pact to help? Love to all
      Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Hey Gang!

I just wanted to check in and say I'm alive and (almost) well. I have emerged from the darkest part of my depression, and although I keep looking over my shoulder for its return, I am okay. I'm on day 4 AF, and that seems to be helping. I want to do a long stretch, and let myself get feeling stronger.

Things are better with my husband. He has gotten out of his dark and chilly mood, and gone back to being his old affectionate, loving self...Although still not able to talk a whole lot about feelings...either his or mine. I know he'll have "relapses" into that kind of mood - he always has. This time around, it came along just as I was falling into a deep sadness myself, and it made for a bad combination. I'm still in the market for a good therapist for the two of us, and well as for myself. Tomorrow I meet with a psychiatric nurse. I lined up the appointment thinking I might need to go back on an anti-depressant, but I'm going to go in and tell her I'm hoping not to. Kid, did you decide to try SAMe? I've been taking 5htp, along with my MWO amino acid blend. I take fish oil, too. I honestly have no idea if these things are helping, or if other factors are at work. I intend to ask the nurse about these various supplements tomorrow. I hope she doesn't poo-poo them. I'll ask about SAMe.

You guys all sound good! I've missed you. Nice to see some new faces since I was last here, too. Best to all. Sara
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Now I know what it's going to do...

The tornado alarms went off!
          It's just a "watch", so I'm watchin'

DeeBee: I don't think these things are like "happy pills". I think they are more like precursors to our own neurotransmitters and things. They help an alcohol damaged neurosystem behave more normally; making you...happy!
          KW: Yeah, reading some folks adventures sure can remind one not to overdo it!
          I frequently have patients in the ER who I laugh and tell them they are "sobriety's poster children"; all the reasons rolled into one person extolling the evils of alcohol...Everything we DON'T want to turn out to be.

They make it easier for me not to stop at the tavern on the way home.
          "The Mod Life is the Good Life" but we can come and go here as we need.
          Some us grow up and decide to go Abs; some of are so comfortable modding that alcohol is not an issue any more. That's the way to be!
          Sara:
          Welcome back, friend!
          :welcome:
          You sound strong and I'm glad the tide is finally turning.
          I think you are right; continued AF days are a good idea for you.
          Just watch out for the "binge monster" if you slip a little.
          Better to "sip than to slide"
          I just made that up!!:H Modders are so witty..

Yes I ordered the SAMe.
          I am using up MANY accumulated bottles of vitamins and supplements
          and am going to revisit the plan when they are gone.
          Sara, ABSOLUTELY
          tell your prescription writer what supps you are on, or might plan to be on.
          You probably know, but I'm reminding you, that many antidepressants don't mix with some supps.
          Some supps aren't right for some diagnoses. You can make things worse
          That said; best of luck with your appointments.
          We are rooting for you!

Well, we're supposed to go see a play.
          I must get ready and/or hide in the basement.
          (The weather situation is labile right now)
          Later Modders,
          ~Kid~
          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi all! Jus a quick hello out to you all.
            Sara so good to hear you are doing better. Thanks for stopping by.

Kid-your 'haiku' was beautiful this morning about walking on the beach. Some of my fondest memories are long walks on the beach. I hope to add to that memory list. What play were you off to see? My hubby doesn't enjoy live theatre so the girls and I go to alot of matinees so he doesn't feel too left out.

Keeps- have a fabulous girls retreat- I'm jealous!:shesjealous:I too am planning on going AF for lent and would love company. Maybe others will join in?????

Deebs- I had a hoot picturing your traffic jam watching the guy in front of you chaining and you almost jumping out the window for one! Good temptation slayer, you! Keep up the good going.

Eve- I'm praying for your family and for your continued strength.

vera and lena good to hear from you both

within- oh where art thou? Let us know how you are doing.:l

I'm off to pick up the karate girl and watch the beautiful sunset.

Blessings-
            Toughen up!

Comment

Im right over here...

...I am the one in the corner feeling pretty healthy and happy that I am on day 4AF. It is not easy. I am trying to keep my head clear and positive.
              sounds like the modders are doing swell....glad to hear it.
              Delta...how was sunset...it clouded up on my walk and wasnt able to catch it.
              kid...glad your out of the way of the storm. Enough of that!
              sara..good job using your resources. Youre doing great.
              deebs....i love the idea of a chili plant. very funny. I love to have the ablilty to celebrate love and life too! hopefully darling mr with and I can rekindle an old flame.
              And to all the rest of the mod squad....Thanks for listening to this wannamodda. I truly am thankful for all the listeners out there. The role this place is playing in my life's transformation is amazing. THANK YOU ALL :h
              a ship in the harbor is a safe ship...but ships were not built for harbors.....

Comment

Keep, you are sounding focused and on track. A girls weekend away -- that sounds lovely.

Hi Sara!! I'm so happy to hear you are coming out of the darkness. Good on you for finding help and yes I agree, if you can stay away from the anti-D's.

Well done Within on 4 days AF!!! Keep going you are styling.

Hi Kid, Vera, Sun, Eve and anyone I've forgotten.
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I SLIPPED ON A BANANA SKIN!!!

I kid you not!!!

Came home just now and the monkeys have had a field day in my kitchen. Being true bratts they ate all my bananas and threw the peels onto the floor -- which I promptly slipped on :banana:
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

The winds have stopped...

What wakes me at night is not a noise
                    but a sudden stillness...
                    The winds have stopped
                    The mysterious cracks and crashes;
                    the garbage can sounds
                    rolling percussion on the pavement;
                    branches grating on the gutters.
                    The sun will be up soon and we will see

Good morning, Modders,
                    Delta, what is 'Haiku', exactly? I've heard the term; but nobody ever accused me of it!
                    I'll have to look it up.
                    Wouldn't it be fun to just walk the beach; go from Alaska to Mexico or something? There's a goal.

We went and saw "Travels of Angelica"; thanks for asking.
                    It was a little deep and heading in a tragic direction, many people left after the first act. I hate when people do that...
                    I can't believe Hubby wouln't like theater if you started with the right play.
                    Is he hard of hearing? That makes it much less enjoyable. Our place has hearing enhancers that are a Godsend.

Cat and I were running out of 'Mother's Day' and 'Father's Day' gift ideas many years ago.
                    We like theater, at least now and then,
                    we also knew the value of 'date night' for former lovers who were now 'married-with-children";
                    so we keep a subsription to the Playhouse.
                    It's part of the budget, tickets are paid, even charged if necessary, for the year. We don't have to remember to get tickets.
                    We don't have to motivate our lazy asses. Sometimes we are barely speaking when we go...
                    It gently forces us to clean up and go out together.
                    I recommend it.
                    Like the other few things Cat and I do together,
                    I say 'it's cheaper (and more fun)than therapy'!

Within; you are doing great. We're always here.
                    Well, DB has sent two messages while I typed my ONE!

The sun is coming up on what appears to be another grey day.
                    (Edit: it was the grey roof by my window! It's a cloudless, sunny day!)
                    Honey-haired-girl had her breakfast and is off to school.
                    I'd better get out soon and survey the damage.
                    "More coffee? May I please have more coffee, suh???"
                    Have a great one,gang!!
                    ~Kid~
                    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

HA HA Kid, you gotto be quick around here!

Comment

the old banana peel trick...

It'll get ya everytime!!!!
                        Have a great day everyone! have fun out there:l

Comment

Deebs- Do you really have monkeys?
                          Kid- haiku is a form of poetry. You really are quite good.
                          I'm still AF and feeling good- Mr. grumpy is raising his old head again and I will have to give him a wake up call- maybe lavishing tons of love instead of the scripted verbal volleyball? It is valentines day soon...........:h
                          Blessings -I'm off to the gym and to practice:guitar1:
                          Toughen up!

Comment

Hello Modderoos, happy Thursday!

We have had gray skies for what seems like weeks now. It is odd weather for our little corner of the country, our average sunshine is 300+ days per year.

within I'm rooting for you. I think going AF for 30 is a really great decision on your part. Speaking from my own experience, it gave me the necessary breathing room to break that bad habit of cocktails every night (among other things, but don't want to get preachy here.) At first it was a little frightening but I know I could do it again without too much discomfort if I thought I should. Let us know how we can support and encourage you. Four days so far is great! :applaud: If you think the weekend might be tough stick around MWO, jump into chat or hang out in the just starting out threads. You can also PM one of us if you need some one on one support.

DeeBee please watch out for banana peels. We do not want you slip sliding away from us.

Sara it is good to see you posting. Before I was posting on this thread I read it every day and so I'm glad to see you. No pressure but please stay in touch.

Same for you Keepwalking. Glad to hear modding is working out good for you, have a great girl weekend.

DM glad the AF days are feeling good for you. It's great to feel in control, isn't it?

Sunbeam night sweats, ugh! I was never so happy to be rid of something in my life. My husband was truly grateful as well, he nearly froze the first winter! I used an over the counter black cohosh blend it really helped.

Lenaleed, good to see you back! I'm following you everywhere you go. Don't worry if you don't see me posting on your threads, I'm too much of a nosy parker not to keep up with what is going on.

Hey Kid, your posts are always bright sunshine in my day, even when the weather is gray, I should be working and making hay, but what can I say? I'm lazy that way.

To the modders I didn't say hello to personally, please excuse me it is not intentional to miss anyone out. May your day be filled with blessings, peace and hope.
                            vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

thurs evening

Back home from work, a dog walk and grocery shopping. This is offiically "wine time". I am sipping on lemon water trying to shake the headache from the day.
                              You all sound well and thank you for all the encouragement and support it means so much.
                              I love to hear your words and even just the chatter. I love the poetry and even stories about monkeys up to nothing but monkey business.
                              Tonight is a challenge... i feel like i deserve a cocktail and i KNOW i could justify it. I will get through. Its funny that after a long day any thought that wine might be a problem for me seems so sillly and even egotistic. Like, why stop the world and the nice routine we have just because I think I have a problem. Everyone might be happier if i just put my issues aside and go right ahead and have a drink.
                              I really know that deep down my hubby is supportive. Everything in moderation he says...and I think he's right. but i must do it this way. Its the right way for me. I think perhaps it might bring up some questions for him and his relationship with beer. we shall see.
                              Well all you very cool and hip modders...keep on modding. I will be muddling through my modding and looking her now and again for focus.
                              now for another sip of my lemon water.....ahhhhh:lipstick:

Comment

Ongoing PACTs

Weekend PACTs
                                P.A.C.T (Promissary Alcohol Controlling Tool)

Cross my heart,and hope to die; Stick a needle in my eye.."
                                *Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
                                (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)

Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

*Eve: Promising TWO DRINKS come Hell or high water!!

* Delta Moon and KW: ALL of Lent??

*Kid : Wednesday through Saturday (longer if anyone joins me)

*Sara: ODAT? Let's commit! (no,ODAT is OK)

*Delta: needs a partner for "all weekend"

ANYONE ELSE??

Feel free to join in
                                with any ongoing pact
                                (or start a new one)

Remember
                                :you've :h "crossed your heart" :h

Comment

Working...
                                X