Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 9th Feb

Hi Everybody!
    A first grade girl today told me that when you write the following words, you need to use this! to make them exciting
    I LOVE YOU!

Ain't that the highlight of my day?!!

Sara, I am thrilled to see you back, glad to know you are getting yourself back. Other than offering support, it is really hard here in cyberspace to know what to say about the ups and downs and imperfections of our relationships.

Within, it is great you are staying with the lemon water, another day of success. I like the Polar brand of seltzer. Lots of flavors that come through a little stronger than other brans of this kind of product. I keep three flavors on the shelf. At less than a buck a bottle with no calories (or alcohol), you can't beat it!

Cyclefan, my husband is part of my night sweats problem. He HAS to have a heavy blanket, the lighter fleece kind makes him uncomfortable. He is hypersensitive to light touch, only wears certain kinds of clothes, that kind of thing. Oh well, after 28 years, he is worth the trouble.

We are going to the Vegas desert next week, leaving Sunday and returning Thurs. It will be probably at least 30o warmer there than here.

Hmm, we have this great group of mostly girls here, and a couple of delightful guys who share poetry. What's with that? Thanks, Kid, you bring sun to my grey skies. Zed, we look forward to your return, whenever that may be.

Keeps, you sound great. Keep walking, keep succeeding at all you do.

Deebs, I'm dying for clarification of that monkey story.

I continue to read daily, but don't let myself post any more than every other day, or less. You guys rock, but you should see the papers I'm still drowning in. I REALLY gotta clean out this computer room - after vacation. I used to be well-organized, but as the drinking took over, the papers just piled up. I am gradually getting back on top of things, but it is a long climb of neglect.

take care, all.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

haiku

the days end is near
      my thoughts are swimming so
      sleep will slow the brain

the path is inside
      direction comes from within
      i need clarity

be honest with self
      your truths will unlock the door
      to the joy of life
      a ship in the harbor is a safe ship...but ships were not built for harbors.....

Comment

Gesundheit!

Get it??
        Haiku!
        Gesundheit!
        ...:H:H:H...

No, I love it.
        Now I know what "Haiku" is, I can appreciate it more.
        Thanks, Within!
        ~Kid~
        It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Oh the monkeys are the bane of my life!! They cruise through my house like the own it, swiping my fruit and veggies as they go. Can you believe the little buggers have even pulled up my carrots and radishes!!!
          They are a big problem in our country, particually coastal towns. We have infringed into their territory and they now have no where to go other than into our back yards.
          There are some very sad stories about people painting the ring leader white in the hope of scaring him away -- this then poisons the monkey and they die a slow death.
          Personally I have an air gun which I use as a noice to chase them, but really they just look at me and roll their eyes when I come out cause they know I'm not gonna hurt them.
          I'll take some photos this weekend of the two troops in my garden and then you can see what I'm talking about.

Sooooo, tomorrows Valentines!! I love any reason to celebrate love and joy. I have bought my hubby and daughter a precious stone called Sugilite which is regarde the most important of love stones. I have printed out the meaning of the gem onto some beautiful paper and I'll wrap it up and sneak it onto their breakfast tray tomorrow.
          It's the thought that counts.

Have a wonderful Friday everyone!!
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

You sound full of joy, DB...

You are like a big kid with this Valentine's Day approaching, aren't you?
            I love it..
            Every family should have at least one member who is excited about these things.
            Like artists and musicians; you enhance our existence.
            ~Kid~

I can't wait to see your monkey pics!
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

After a few days of weirdly balmy weather, we are settling in for a pre-Spring blizzard. So cozy. We've been warned for days so I'm prepared to hunker down. I'm on the top floor in a loft in an historic building and can usually see the weather coming for miles. But this a.m. (pre-sunrise) daughter asked when it was supposed to start snowing and I told her, "Later." Minutes later she called out to look out the window and I sprang into action. In no time I was out on the roof garden searing the brisket on the grill in a white-out. It's now doing an eight-hour tour in a low oven. And a batch of chicken and noodles simmering all morning!

There are at least two food items I would not make from scratch, because I could never improve upon them: egg noodles (Reames brand is thick, dumpling-style comfort food) and stuffing (I defy anyone to improve on the seasoning or the texture of Pepperidge Farm).

My post-divorce home, while a real sanctuary, does not have limitless kitchen space, so I've had to prioritize appliances. Bye bye bread machine! How liberating! King Arthur's Artisan Flour makes sublime baguettes if you can get it. Making bread takes no time at all (except passive rising time) and the comfort-food factor is unequaled.

Kid, throw me a vibe. What started all these comfort-food thoughts flowing is the "calendar", If-you-know-what-I-mean. Once the first stray zit appears on daughter's face, I go into action. Morning: No speaking unless spoken to. Driving: smooth; no sudden braking or pushing yellow lights. Better yet: let her drive and refrain from any comment, including muffled gasps. Do not touch the volume in the car radio; heaven forbid I should have a say in what we listen to. If I am picking her up, five minutes early and no comment if she is late. If she is picking me up, reverse above. Meals: Sneak a little extra protein into breakfast (an extra egg in the waffle batter, extra milk in the coffee); sneak in extra vitamins (EmergenC has a new pink lemonade flavor that is a hit); favorite comfort foods (hers), steering away from simple carbs and always sneaking in the protein (e.g. dish up more chicken in her chicken and noodles). Etc. etc. etc. By the time my tongue is bitten clear through, this too has passed. Whew.

Kidding aside, I am just so filled with gratitude for how much she has grown in the past couple of years. She was an out-of-control little bundle of rage when our family was falling apart. She now is growing into a wonderful young woman whose company I enjoy thoroughly most of the time and even on her off days she really tries. I truly am blessed.

Now, about her older brother . . . . Another day.

Eve, I don't know if this midwest blizzard will hit you but either way, Godspeed to you and yours in your grief and in your travels.

Keep -- Update on the girl party, please.

Our "flower girls" Ask, Vera and Sun, you are inspiring.

Sara: Smiles?

Zed -- Kid needs you back in the worst way or he will go out for a pedi.

Others: I Love You! (I got it Sun)

Lena

Comment

keep on keepin on....
                sun is out today...that always gives me hope.. But so doesnt the icecream in the freezer!!!
                I'll save that for sundown.

kid, i kid you not, havent haiku'd since 6th grade. it felt good. Wow, what a cool process. I do love to read your verses...i am feeling so cultured visiting this thread!!and thanks for the geshundeit....!
                everyone here seems to take things in stride and to keep one foot in the positive lane. I like that. No sulkers here.....but...even if ther were we would love you anyway...thats just the kind of modderoos we are.

I can't wait to see pix of the monkeys. my dog acts like a monkey. sometimes she acts like a cat and sometimes a billy goat but mostly a silly goose.

looking forward to valentines day...i realize that i can go out do dinner and enjoy a beverage AF!!! I am SOo looking forward. I have come to realize that stemware is an accessory for me. However, just because its stemware does not mean it has to contain alc all the time. I am going to start ordering seltzer and gin and crans in wine, martini and champagne glasses. It will make me feel a little more dressed up and festive. la la la

anyway....today i didnt go into the office Had the day off to go the the gyn and also get a mamogram....ahh the joys.

Going to head out for a dog walk. Gotta breath in that fresh air.
                see you later...
                the dog must go pee
                i walk for miles through the wood
                the sun will soon set
                I cant stop!!!!!
                later gators

Comment

did i say gin???

i my last post i meant to say "tonic"!!!!!! Focus focus

Comment

You did say "gin"

That's OK.
                    It just shows you how close it is to the surface.
                    Gin is one of my big problems
                    so I try to never touch it.
                    Like you, I also use the word "gin" to replace other words in my sentences all the time.

Sometimes I'll allow myself a gin martini when my wife is with me so she can ask,
                    "Are you having ANOTHER one?",
                    and kill my buzz!!
                    She knows I'm a practical man and she knows I won't keep throwing away good money when my drinks are served up with comments like THAT!:H

Lena: Do those interventions really work? I'm going to try them;
                    thanks for the clue.
                    Speaking of a clue; which way is the blizzard headed?
                    And how will Zed's return keep me from wanting a "pedi"?
                    Maybe I just WANT one!!
                    I did tell my barber we need more going on during the haircut.
                    I mentioned pedicures and manicures. I also mentioned lap dances.

Well, dinner's not getting thawed out with all my hot air here.
                    I'll catch you ladies later.
                    ~Kid~
                    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hey- quick check in to say I'll be AF for the weekend- anyone want to pact?. And yes, Kid I'm going the full monty for Lent. Thats 6 beautiful weeks to clean out the cobwebs and break the spell. I will plan a little Gras on Mardi before the big day but until then will be clean.
                      Have a great weekend, all!
                      Laissez les bon temps roulez!
                      Toughen up!

Comment

PACT rats

P.A.C.T (Promissary Alcohol Controlling Tool)

Cross my heart,and hope to die; Stick a needle in my eye.."
                        *Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
                        (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)

Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

*Eve: Sunday 2/15 thru thursday 2/19
                        * Delta Moon and KW: ALL of Lent??

*Kid : Wednesday and Thursday then Saturday

(longer if anyone joins me)

*Sara: ODAT? Let's commit! (no,ODAT is OK)

*Delta: needs a partner for "all weekend"

ANYONE ELSE??

Feel free to join in
                        with any ongoing pact
                        (or start a new one)

Remember
                        :you've :h "crossed your heart" :h

Comment

Steak Night

Well, this was the week from h e double hockey sticks, at work, oh gosh I miss Sherman Potter. And Radar too. I could cut loose with some pretty colorful words but out of respect to my fellow happy modders I'll stick with the Sherman Potter language. For Now.

It's Steak Night. I'm good every other night of the week, with my low fat, low cholesterol, healthy wise food but Friday night is Steak Night. Even in the most foul weather you'll find me on the patio, gas grill going, rib eye sizzling to perfection. A little baked potato on the side, sometimes I'll do potato latkes, sometimes I'll even stuff the darn potato; veggie could be green beans or brussels sprouts, summertime is salads but wintertime is a cooked green veg. Broccoli? Did someone mention broccoli? No thanks, you can stuff your broccoli in a sack, mister.

Now it's time for me to relax, get my head out of the factory (I invented a new product today, and solved a long standing problem so it was a productive week but time to be done.) BBC America will serve up Little Britain and Catherine Tate after old Monty Python reruns. Cocktail? Don't mind if I do. One please, one will be enough.

Kid you can put me on the list for Sunday thru Thursday without fail. Most Saturdays too, but that will be on a week by week basis.

Hi to all. I'd say hi to each one of you but hey, it's Friday. Happy Friday 13. Happy Valentines. Happy Full Moon. Happy.....
                          vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

HI all:

Everyone here is sounding so GOOD! Great job.
                            I've had a busy week, but have modded well. Looking forward to Florida travel next week to visit my folks. Last year @ this time it was a big deal, as I'd started modding in Jan and had no alcohol in the house, so vacationing w/ my folks last Feb was my first time modding w/ alcohol in the house. I OK, not great, and actually got tipsy one night and felt pretty bad about it, but in retrospect learned a lot about vacations and limits - which has served me well. It's just amazing how much difference a year makes. I now can manage having wine in the house and I control when and how much I drink. I have no anxiety about this vacation on the modding front. Realistically, I will probably have fewer AF days, because that is what I've found I do on vacations, but I won't worry about drinking to excess. God I love my new life!!!

My other news is a developing friendship with a new guy I've met. He's really smart, warm, attentive and makes me laugh. We had dinner tonight after talking everyday this week; I was so looking forward to it!!. He seemed a bit shyer than when we've been on the phone, but it's all a process. I like him and think he's a good soul with good values. Its definitely nice.

So my daughter is off for a week,and then I'm away, so I'm looking at 10 days childfree, so while I will check in, Mom is going to kick up her heels a bit.

Love to all,

Ask

Comment

fri night

kid..you are so right. its all so close to the surface. I can just imagine a whole day of me mixing up all sorts of words with the likes of "gin" or "pinot nior" or "happy hour" Maybe I have and I just dont realize i am doing it.

At work i might possible be asking people if they would like some gin? or if we could pickup this project again at happy hour. or maybe i have told the boss that i have been putting in a little more time with the pinot nior innitiative.

cycle, steak night sounds like fun...i must say i read streak night at first...that sounds fun too!

Just go back from dinner out...had cran and TONIC in a martini glass. oh ya, and salmon.

I am going AF all weekend...cant believe i am doing it. i am so psyched. Again...thanks to you all!!

Ask, are you and mystery man talking dat #2? keep us posted. Glad you had fun!

have a nice weekend you modder peoples...
                              night night:huggy

Comment

It's late for me to post but I couldn't resist a peek and wow! What do we have here!

Ask -- I guess it never changes from high school: If he's relaxed on the phone but shy in person, that means he Likes you.

Cyclefan: Latkes on the grill -- Now there's something! Did you wash it all down with a grape Nehi? Actually George Costanza wants us to stuff our sorries in a sack. Did he get that from Radar? They look & sound alike. An old friend of mine who is a stuffy Brit professor was back in town for a visit, having a very rough time in her life. I let her off at the hotel w/ advice to watch some sitcoms on the "telly", which after many years in the U.S. she never had done. She called ("rang me") in the middle of the night to say she had never laughed so much. Seinfeld, M.A.S.H., even Friends. Truly the best medicine!

For now, my tv is Friday Night Lights reruns on Hulu; daughter and I share an obsession right now.

Kid, if you do go for the pedi, OPI always has seasonal colors. Maybe coming soon is Irish Spring. Manly, yes, but I like it, too.

Lena

Comment

Working...
                                X