Mod Squad Weekly Thread 16 Feb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vera.... you have no idea how much I understand. My almost 17 year old son could easily drive me to drink. Although with him it's small town drug deals gone wrong and seen driving without a license and lovely things like that.

:l hang in there!
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

What a difference a week makes!

A good reason to stay close to the herd ,Vera

THIS WEEK:
      vera-b;551234 wrote: Hello fellow modders,

"...had a difficult talk with college daughter today, and the urge to drink was overpowering. I have been reading a series in the Boston Globe about the life of Ted Kennedy, and was struck by the comments that when life got particularly difficult for both Ted and his then-wife Joan they resorted to drinking to ease the stress. After the conversation with college daughter I totally understood this. Well, I resisted and had just 2 glasses of wine with hubby at dinner. But that's why I'm here - justed needed a safe place to vent.

...The old bottle beckons, but I'm here versus there. Thanks for listening. I'm sorry I've been so absent. Actually thought I was off living a life . . .

Vera-b

LAST WEEK:

I'm sorry I've been so absent my dear modder friends - so much life to live, so little time . . . when you're not drinking your life away, there's so much more to do!! Spent the last weekend with daughter #1 on a "girls' weekend out" adventure to Charleston, SC and we had a ball. We went shopping, out to dinner, pampered with a couple of pedicures, saw a historic plantation, and went to church in a congregation that was established in 1690-something. That's my excuse for not checking in - that, and I've found I'm just not as needy.
      I hope you all have a great week - I'll be checking in from time to time, though probably only occasionally. Love to you all----

Hmmmm......
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

OK, help me out here..

I'll update the PACT list, if you'd like,
        (Oh, and welcome Sunshine_GG)
        :welcome:
        but exactly WHICH 20 days are you two "pacting" on???
        ~KS~
        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

hey all -- We've had our humor bits about pms before but I am wrung out to my core. Daughter has so many issues she's not dealt with and the rage flows around "that time"; she's not just your garden-variety pms but has upgraded to "premenstrual dysphoria." Never does anything halfway. She still is finding her way past the flotsam and jetsam of such an ugly split w/ me and her dad. Anyone thinking you are staying together for the kids, think twice. I'm not saying what to do; I'm just sayin'.

I got her a hand-written free verse w/ a little drawing, in a gallery gift shop a couple of years ago. She loves it.

Vera, Deebs, Kid and all moms of daughters, I know it will strikes a chord:

Her anger sits offshore - a furious tumult which waits to unleash itself.

She considers two expressions of power.
          Stand in the storm & allow the fury to paint itself, scrape itself, down her . . . & determine to withstand, ready to move forward.

Or, harness the storm, pour herself into it & direct it where she may. Oddly, she chooses both. The pain of the force, the blood, satisfies her own absolution. She loses some of her holiness in the fright & (somehow) the losing stands her taller. Then, she summons a different fury & releases it to the eye of the storm. In this her discipline becomes her great strength.

she possesses her
          knowing - never
          again to be so
          overcome by
          such a storm.

mary anne macy bryce lewis radmacher

I'm bone-weary. G'night, all -- Lena

Comment

Kid Shelleen;551271 wrote: I'll update the PACT list, if you'd like,
            (Oh, and welcome Sunshine_GG)
            :welcome:
            but exactly WHICH 20 days are you two "pacting" on???
            ~KS~
            The next 20, I figured! LOL

Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hey all,
              Good to hear from you Vera B. I've got a defiant 11 year old who tries to drive me to drink but I won't let him!! Can totally relate to wanting that glass of wine to relax though.
              Vlad - it was colder in Finland than SD!! I HATE the cold. I'm so glad to be back to my much warmer state.
              Hi to all that posted and to those that will. Pacting AF till Thursday. Now the question is:
              How long does an open bottle of red wine (put it in the fridge) last? A bottle has never been left with wine remaining until I started modding LOL - so not sure if I should toss the thing or
              if it will keep till this week-end. Anyone know?
              Eve11
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Eve -- I'm just learning such things myself. It should keep. If it tastes "off" to you, you can use it for cooking. For that purpose it keeps quite awhile. Makes a great marinade for beef w/ olive oil and some seasoning. There is some high-quality box wine out there, and that keeps indefinitely. For Pinot Noir fans, Pinot Evil comes in a box and I've found it to be the same high quality as the bottle. This despite their indulging in the trend to market wines w/ cutesy names & labels (3 monkeys, hear no evil, speak no evil . . .) -- Lena

Comment

Good morning everyone! Things are well here. I have been abstaining successfully and hubby is totallly off the bottle- 3 weeks now. He took me to a 5 star resort of a valentines overnight and a complimentary pinot was in the villa. We prepared a very special meal and I cracked that baby open and drank almost the whole thing over the course of the evening. I never felt drunk but it was more than I planned on drinking and more than I should have had. So I have been hanging my head a bit . My typical guilt ridden mind spanking. So, I have been AF since and PLAN on staying that way until a blues fest. this Sat when I may have 2- but NO MORE and then cruising on thru lent totally AF with hubby for the 6 weeks.

I am glad to see sunshine visiting here- I have read many of your posts on other threads. Welcome to the squad.

Eve- I will catch up with a pm. Glad you are back!

vlad my # 2 daughter and I really enjoyed your pics from Finland. What an adventure!

Hi to vera, Kid, DeeBee and lena. I can totally relate to the drama daughter stuff- although my drama queen is away at college so I have a bit of a reprieve. When she was home for Christmas I really wanted to hit the bottle a number of times. The other 2 at home are much calmer and peaceful.

Have a very blessed day all- the president is visiting here today so the streets are closed and the 'suits' are out in force.
                  Ciao................
                  Toughen up!

Comment

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Vlad is a bit stressed today. Was trying to do some search engine optimisation for our company website and I broke it (thanks to the 'How to optimise your site for Google' book), and spent most of the day fixing it.
                    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

arrrgh....

Another post...did not stick. Arrrghh...

I was writin something about something about premature moderation.

Finland sounds marvelous....how did you pick finland??
                      a ship in the harbor is a safe ship...but ships were not built for harbors.....

Comment

Is this up to date?

P.A.C.T (Promissary Alcohol Controlling Tool)

Cross my heart,and hope to die; Stick a needle in my eye.."
                        *Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
                        (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)

Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

*Eve: Sunday 2/15 thru thursday 2/19 (doing it?)
                        *Cyle: Ongoing Sunday thru Thursday(yes?)

* Delta Moon and KW: ALL of Lent?? (Gettin' ready)

*Kid : Friday 2/20 THRU
                        Sunday 2/22
                        *Sara: ODAT? Let's commit! (no,ODAT is OK)

*Within and Sunshine_gg: "The next 20 days"

ANYONE ELSE??

Feel free to join in
                        with any ongoing pact
                        (or start a new one)

Remember
                        :you've :h "crossed your heart" :h
                        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Within!!! Let's try this again!!!

Did you see this post?
                          I put it up the last time you had trouble..
                          Kid

When you type a LONG message, the server forgets you're there.
                          A large box will show up saying you aren't signed in or something.
                          Use THAT box to sign back in,
                          not the small one up to the right.
                          Then all of your message will show up.
                          Press "submit" and you are in business.
                          Whenever I do that, it just lets me back in and I don't lose my long posts.
                          You can also type your letter onto "Wordpad"
                          and then just "copy" and "paste" when you are finished.
                          I've NEVER lost a post since I figured this out.
                          ~KS~
                          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

within;551679 wrote:

Finland sounds marvelous....how did you pick finland??
                            Hey Within! How did I pick it? Well I wanted some real snow again and it's quite close, just over 2 hours flight time.

About premature moderation - from experience I think it is best to do at least 30 days AF first.
                            Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

i know...i know......

I just think I sometimes move toooooo fast and close up before actually posting.....does that tell you something about me???

Ok...so about the pact.... i am not sure about the 20 days...i will take it one day at a time. I will also try to move slower and might actually get a post on the goals thread.
                              Sunshine...thanks for the support...i'll take it slow.

Sipping my v8 by the fire and watching it snow ....ahh.
                              LOST comes on later and i will be in front of the TV figuring out what the heck is going on...

have a nice night everthing modd.....
                              See you in the am -:l
                              a ship in the harbor is a safe ship...but ships were not built for harbors.....

Comment

Hello Modders,

I have a very dodgy connection at the B&B which drives me insane because I specifically chose this one because it had wireless, oh well enough bitching.

I have been on the road all day and it's been fairly productive, I have double the work to do today because there was no electricity at one of the stores yesterday. It is stinking hot here but not unpleasantly so and thank goodness my rental was bumped up so I now have aircon -- gotto love freebees.

I met up with an old friend last night for dinner, we had a great time catching up and I had one glass of wine. I hadn't seen her in a while and she commented on how well I was looking and even noticed that I only drank one glass of wine. Funny how I always thought my drinking problem was my secret -- so many people knew and were concerned.

Right I must dash, will hopefully be able to catch up with the thread tonight.
                                Hugs to all
                                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Working...
                                X