Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Mod or Abstain???

Hey

Thanks for the post Eve, it sure is the biggest dilemma i face....have you or anyone ever come across alcoholismcure. org.. ? They are claiming 96% cures to this thing but there's monthly payments that add up to alot...altough if it works, there is no price you can put on it. Once again, I find myself tempted to try another wacky thing....but who knows?!!! anything to get rid of the binge monster. If anyone has any feedback on this site, please lemme know!
    Cheers
    I am well and truly in recovery, I thank Baclofen, the good people of MWO and my love of spirituality, the combination of which have helped to guide me out of the darkness in the last couple months. Cheers to that.

Comment

Hey, iginore last thread. Found the below....

When i'm down, I will believe anything. Thank goodness I slept before signing up to this schmuck 'Dr Doug'

March 25th 2006, I had come to the conclusion that I had an alcohol problem and wanted to seek help. I was not able to attend a rehab facility due to my work requirements.

While searching the Internet for information to assist my alcoholism, I found Alcoholismcure.org. The web site is very detailed and has quite a bit of good information. There was a quick sign-up form and it was presented that there were guarantees that within 2 to 10 weeks drinking down half and within 5 months most all people would be reduced to social drinking, 2 drinks per day.

There was a $20,000.00 guarantee that this program would work, this is written throughout the web interface, although, close inspection within what appears to be hundreds of web pages it is specified on one page that the guarantee is to a “responsible organization” to conduct a test proving the Alcoholism Cure Foundations methods not to work – quite misleading.

There were indications that this was a 5-month program and there would be a membership fee or donation that one could possibly take advantage with tax deductions of these donations while helping others with their alcoholism. While I was desperate for a solution to my problem, I didn't see any issue being a member for 5 months at the rate he offered; if the program worked it would be well worth the money.

After 5 months of participating in this program of taking OTC vitamins and amino acids, I saw no appreciable change in my drinking. I did have good days and bad days that are usual with my problem - I contacted Dr. Doug (Krotzer) – (He does not share his last name or address on the web), the owner of Alcoholismcure.org and notified him of my cancellation precisely at the end of 5 months.

I was not informed of an additional 5-month cancellation policy, nor did I spend the time to find it buried in the myriad of web pages; My Credit Card Company did however receive my contract with the foundation, something that now appears very clearly on the web site. The Dr. continued to bill my credit card and I finally had to cancel the card. I did dispute these charges with the CC company, however, money had already been issued and left me no recourse; however, it only cost me $2500.00, he tried to bill me 11,000.00.

I found quite a number of other victims of the same scam and Dr. Doug has apparently used scare tactics, collections agencies and other heavy fisted techniques. We have reported this to the Florida Dept. of Agriculture and the Attorney General of Florida with no appreciable results, you see Dr. Doug is an attorney and probably not a Dr. of nutrition. I cannot validate this. There are a few of us entertaining class action against this individual. Most of his personal property is in trusts and therefore protected from a suit against the Foundation itself.

For a full presentation of my story goto: alcoholismcuretruth.com

Wannice
      Cordova, Tennessee
      U.S.A.
      I am well and truly in recovery, I thank Baclofen, the good people of MWO and my love of spirituality, the combination of which have helped to guide me out of the darkness in the last couple months. Cheers to that.

Comment

Charlie,
        So sorry this happened to you. The great thing about this site is it's free and you only need to pay if you want to be a paid subscriber. There is no pressure ever to do that ...just some incentives and perks offered to be one.

I don't utilize my perks much - subs board and chat, etc. I just derive enjoyment from the fact that this site can remain free to anyone out there struggling for help and maybe my donation is a part of why that can be. This guy you talked about wasn't telling you anything that you can't learn here.

Go to our AF site and find some of the useful tools there - Sunbeam, et al ...how does Charlie find a good toolbox?

There's so much wisdom and help just here Charlie so you were blessed to have found this place.
        :l
        Eve11
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

hi
          i only have a quick moment, but i wanted to respond to charlie and eve too, i guess regarding binge drinking. I guess i have more of a question.

don't "normal" drinkers binge drink occassionally? Everyone I know does. If I have 5 drinks, that is "overdoing it" for me and boy do i pay for it the next day. that is only occasional, maybe 3 times a year? I know many(i can think of about 10 right off the bat) folks who "overdo it" once a month. These are friends and neighbors of mine, in their 30's and 40's. professionals, parents, yuppies if you will. so, maybe your "overdoing it" is way more than a "normal" person's "overdoing it"??

i'm just wondering why that would go away? I think most people have that, especially if they are social drinkers.

Comment

letgolaughing;796893 wrote:
            don't "normal" drinkers binge drink occassionally? Everyone I know does. If I have 5 drinks, that is "overdoing it" for me and boy do i pay for it the next day. that is only occasional, maybe 3 times a year? I know many(i can think of about 10 right off the bat) folks who "overdo it" once a month. These are friends and neighbors of mine, in their 30's and 40's. professionals, parents, yuppies if you will. so, maybe your "overdoing it" is way more than a "normal" person's "overdoing it"??

i'm just wondering why that would go away? I think most people have that, especially if they are social drinkers.
            The term binge drinking has changed in the United States. It used to mean drinking heavily over several days – e.g. the movie “The Lost Week-end” where the main character binged and drank heavily 2-3 days in a row and lost memory of the entire week-end.

Now, however, the term refers to the heavy consumption of alcohol over a short period of time (just as binge eating means a specific period of uncontrolled overeating).

The generally accepted definition of binge drinking in the United States is the consumption of five or more drinks in a row by men — or four or more drinks in a row by women in about two hours for a typical adult. This is called the "5/4 definition." However, these numbers vary significantly based on weight and numerous other variables.
            Heavy binge drinking includes three or more such episodes in 2 weeks.

Interesting that you say that many of your friends drink this way.
            It’s always amazing to me (a person in a work field who sees how everyday people list whether and how much alcohol they consume) how shocked I am by the huge numbers of people who claim to not drink at all or who drink so little we here at MWO would laugh. Yet, people we’re
            surrounded by in our lives drink like us...hmmm…could it be that old adage “birds of a feather?”

Some studies have shown that people who binge-drink heavily — those who have three or more episodes of binge drinking in 2 weeks — have some of the symptoms of alcoholism.

My drinktracker was looking pretty good until this week-end when I hung with friends with the same problem as me and then drank way over my limits 2 nights in a row!! Not good. That's why I keep coming back and working my stuff!!

Did that help?

Not sure I understand your last line : " i'm just wondering why that would go away? I think most people have that, especially if they are social drinkers."
            For people like us with alcohol problems - I don't think the problem really ever goes away as we have an affliction. One of the true definititions of alcoholism is "loss of control" and
            even though we modders try to control ourselves as best as we can I think we have an affliction and sometimes alcohol wins.

Remember...this is just my opinion. Others may disagree or may end up posting something insightful that makes me look at things differently. Keep posting friend!

Eve

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

eve...as always you are so helpful in your explanations. Now that you have explained the true meaning of binge drinking to me (consumption of five or more drinks in a row by men — or four or more drinks in a row by women in about two hours for a typical adult.)I understand it more. I don't have friends who do that. We used to do that back when i was in college, playing stupid drinking games though! ugh.

So, what i meant was i guess just "overdoing it". meaning having more than they should at a party or dinner with friends. Not slamming 4 or 5 drinks in a short time period.

thanks for explaining better

Comment

Charlie,
                I related to your post more than any other post I have read before. I am 27 and have the exact same drinking habits as yourself.
                I have faith that I can moderate with alot of hard work and a willingness/acceptance that during the process of change I may find myself with a sore head and feelings of remorse many a morning. I need to forgive myself and learn from these times.
                I have decided that ' If you fail to plan , you plan to fail' is key for me to get this change constantly moving forward .

I have a link for you to check out for an AF social group in London
                The London Teetotalers (At least for 1 night) (London, England) - Meetup.com

I have just started a melbourne one as a way of getting out there and building up a social network of non drinking pals to help me stay on the moderation track.

My mother drank exactly the same way as me until she was about mid to late 30,s and she said it took alot of NLP, neuro linguistic training ( I have the NLP for dummies book) but she says it was def worth it!

I wish you all the best Charlie, fingers and toes crossed!

Gidg
                I am Perfectly Imperfect!

Comment

Gidget;799008 wrote:
                  I related to your post more than any other post I have read before...

I have a link for you to check out for an AF social group in London
                  The London Teetotalers (At least for 1 night) (London, England) - Meetup.com

Gidg
                  What a neat link to share. Thank you for that for Charlie and others. Haven't heard from Charlie for a while so I'm going to p.m. him and see how he's doing.

Regarding you and Charlie being so similar...that's what I love about this place - there are some folks who have our story and it's so good to connect with people who get us.

We'll be visiting London in Sept. I may check the London Teetotalers out myself!! :thanks:

Comment

New here and found the first post on this thread to be helpful

Comment

HillBilly;803981 wrote: New here and found the first post on this thread to be helpful
                      We're glad it helped you HillBilly. Keep coming back!!
                      Eve11

Comment

Working...
                      X