Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mod Squad Weekly Thread for March 30th

Eve,
    Good for you for sticking with 3, not going over too much!

Comment

Hi all- thanks for sharing the great sories, lena and Sara. Hi Oney and Lila and starts nice to see you here jessie.

Just wanted to share that I am on day 40 AF today and lovin' the sober life!

Have a great rest of the weekend
      Blessings
      Toughen up!

Comment

Woo Hoo Delta!!! Well done!

Hi Lila, I like this thread, it is inspiring even to afers.

Have a great weekend all.
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Thanks, starts. I have been a modderator prior to lent and have many friends here in the squad. You have all taught me so much!
          Toughen up!

Comment

Delta being in control of our lives is such a gift, how we do it is really not important.

Comment

that's really what this is all about, I think, Starts! I love that comment. I think of this thread as the anything goes thread, you know! It is a good place to process your feelings.
              Delta, that is great!
              Lila

Comment

Thanks Lenaleed...

I read the posts, yours included, earlier; but just now got a chance to read and appreciate yours again.
                It was sweet and very uplifting.
                Thanks again. :l
                ~Kid~

lenaleed;586714 wrote:
                Hi Sara -- When my kids were little I lived in what used to be a country home that got surrounded by a McMansion development. Oh, my. Enough said. Later, we built our own beautiful, unique home in a development that was full of such homes and the McMansion mindset. Now I live in a loft in the market district every cool city has. In the past four years it took my kids some adjustment to their deflated material status as the result of the divorce. But they have come through swimmingly. Even when we had plenty, I warned them that was not important. One time at the therapist with my daughter, I prompted her to tell the therapist what I taught them to respond to comments about our family being "rich." She rolled her eyes, sighed, and responded, "Yeah, there's a lot of love in our family." She's back to believing that. So's her older brother. After a couple of years of heartbreak for me as they heaped their anger or kept their distance, buying into Dad's version that we "lost everything" because I took the family apart, they are back to being themselves. Rather than complain my space is "too small" (it's not 4,000 sq. ft.), they can't wait to show their friends my view and roof terrace. They are good activists. They love the arts and willingly go with me to an art exhibit or an indie movie or a touring dance company. They want to get a good education. They are rediscovering their faith and they pray with me. Recently, they prayed for me and more. They both stepped up during my illness in a way that was so loving and nurturing it was truly amazing. I had sort of arranged my home in a way that did not accommodate them living here (after so long an absence) but in recent weeks, even before I got sick, they seem to want to be here all the time. Some days it reminds me of a ski trip, arranging sleeping space and towels and meals in the condo. They are helping me rearrange my home to give them their own quarters. They truly are a product of the way they were raised, and it was truly a God thing to have them both be in such a good place when I needed them.

Sara, Kid, Eve, Deebee, Oney, all you parents out there who are dedicated to showing our children (little or grown) what matters: Let's just keep showing them. One of my favorite things about this thread is the solid parenting I see here and hope to emulate. Thanks, Lena
                It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi all,
                  Just checking in, I'm loving all the parenting sentiments here. I am in a group of wonderful people. I don't have any children, but they are the most precious thing in the world.

I didn't mention in my last post that my husband stayed home from my nephew's wedding, as the dog could not be left with anyone in perhaps the last days of her life. Our Jack Russell Terrier was OK while I was gone, but her tremors (seizures?) have increased since I got home 3 hours ago. Not a good thing.

I am drinking wine as I write this, more than my usual occasions, but I will begin 2 weeks AF tomorrow. My husband and I had a very long conversation about the meaning our dogs bring to our lives.

Nancy, I am glad you are joining the group here at the Mod Squad. I think successful modders need more long term support than AF people.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sunbeam, so sorry you are going through this! We love our dog!
                    Oney, love to see you here!

Comment

Hey Everyone,
                      Oney, I'm so happy to have you post here. Of course you're welcome!
                      Delta. 40 Days!!! That's great! It's great to hear you're "loving it", too!!
                      Sunbeam, I really feel for you. I think pets can be like children to many people...So precious, so dearly loved. I'm sorry.
                      Nancy, I'm glad you're here, too. We'll be figuring this out together. I need to review my plan soon.
                      Startingover, I agree with you. Feeling in control of our lives is a gift.

I made it through the witching hour AF tonight. At 5:00 I went for a long walk with my five year old son (he rode his bike) and our dog. My little boy chattered happily non-stop, and I could really feel the joy of his company, with no haze of wine. By the time we got home, all I wanted to do was make a good dinner for the family and listen to the kids talk and laugh, and know I was in full control and taking it all in.

That said, after dinner my husband irritated me by interrupting me and taking over something I was handling with the kids. I had the fleeting thought, "wine!" , but put it out of my head and threw my irritation into vacuuming. It worked. I still don't feel much like hanging out with him, but I don't feel like drinking, either.

I'm off to read with my nine year old, and then read to myself. Both activities I do a whole lot better sober!
                      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sunbeam, I understand your grief...my thoughts are with you...

Sara, I find people to be my biggest triggers, but I can honestly say that the more sober time I get, the better I seem to handle things...except when I have pmt of course :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X