Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Wow, JVO, I could have written the same post, from leaving here for a while right down to sister and kids coming on Friday. Weird. I'm leaning toward staying AF while my sister and kids are here, but I'm torn. Maybe if I give myself permission to have two on Friday, two on Saturday, I'll be less preoccupied with the whole thing, and just relax.

When I get depressed, I sometimes feel I have nothing to offer others. It's not so much a selfish, "I just need support for myself, I'm not bothering with anyone else". It has more to do with my self-esteem and my mental and emotional energy. I used to stare at the screen and just not know what to write. Or I'd feel so overwhelmed with all the posts I hadn't responded to, I thought I couldn't catch up. I'm in a better place now, but I would like to make a commitment to keeping MWO in my life, "for better or worse, in sickness and in health." So next time I get depressed, or drink to much, I'm really going to try and just say so honestly.

Eve, I love the "want power" quote. What a smart twist...and it makes more sense to me. I want to be healthy, happy, sober...therefore I want to drink moderately, or not at all. It's not something I need to force myself to do, kicking and screaming, it's something I really want to do. Thanks for that.

Have a great day everyone! I'm off to work.
    Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Hey Nancy,
      We cross-posted. I've heard a lot of good things about L-Glut here at MWO. I've got some slightly weird tips for you. Maybe I'm crazy, but they work for me!

When I crave a drink but am determined that I shouldn't have one, I sometimes:

1.Sit down in front of the mirror, look into my own eyes, and talk to myself about how much I want to take care of myself, and how I deserve to be healthy and sober. Sometimes I put on some moisturizer, and a little makeup, and I see someone who looks healthy and cared for, not someone who's about to get drunk.

2.Brush my teeth. The taste of toothpaste makes me want to drink water, and not wine.

3.Pretend I'm on a documentary about a woman who has recovered from a drinking problem. (This one probably sounds really weird). I imagine the cameras are following me, and someone is narrating, "now, she's a healthy, strong, beautiful woman, with complete control over her drinking" and things like that. If I'm alone, I can even talk to the interviewer, as I pour a diet tonic water..."Yes, it used to be a problem. Now I actually prefer to hydrate myself instead of dehydrating myself...Alcohol is a depressant. I'm so much happier without it." (You get the idea...)

4. Go outside. Breathe deep. Move around.

5. Drink something else. Stock up on some good teas, flavored waters, whatever you like.

6. Come here. Write about your cravings. Read other threads. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Okay, now I've really gotta go to work.
      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

What great tips!

I especially like the documentary idea... very imaginative.

Thanks.

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Go Modders!

Hi Modders you are all so inspiring!

Thanks for the kick in the butt Kid. I need to post here more often. I love the flow and honesty of this group. Well, that is true of this whole MWO discussion board really. I like dropping in on the Army thread, and posting in subs too. Each group seems to have its own flavor and each area has been a tremendous amount of support to me in some way or another. I like to think I occasionally give back.

I can't think of alcohol as "The Beast." To demonize it like that in my mind takes away any pleasure I get from drinking, and creates cognitive dissonance for me. But to each her own and whatever works best for each individual is what I will respect for that person. On the other hand, I don't think of alcohol as my friend either. I'm working to get to a neutral point with alcohol so that is neither harmful, nor necessary, in my life.

Right now I'm drinking more than my self imposed limit. I am gearing up to do another 30 days AF, I have a friend who needs to abstain for awhile until she can decide how alcohol fits or doesn't fit into her life, and I said I would do 30 days with her in support. Good for me and good for her.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day!
          vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Great tips Sara! Thank you! And Nancy, you can do this. Tips? When I plan to drink, I take L-Glut (1) and Kudzu (2). My new shipment came the other day - just in time for Easter weekend! Write down what you plan to drink (a drink tracker of your own). I have a journal I keep, and I not only write the plan down, I journal after the fact: What observations I made during the time I was drinking, did I stick to it?... As far as the drinktracker goes, did you hit where it says login? It makes you log in when you get to the drink tracker. I think it's in bold type.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

hi all
              I just read everyone's post. Just consider me as listening sympathetically - but not having anything of advice to say. But I love reading everyone's thoughts.
              I want - to not have a muffin top! ha ha! I have a daughter that is a preteen and just looks so wonderful in clothes. I mean, I look good too, but...I think this way of calming down gave me this extra stuff on my tummy.
              I did 2 days AF, and I don't have any goals really. Just to have MORE - more days AF, more of a waistline, more muscles (I joined a gym!) more of a life, all that.
              Sara, you remind me of myself! I love the pretend documentary! And of course the depression stuff.
              What a nice day, spring is finally here!
              Lila

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Hey Gang,
                Well, I'm having some cravings, and in the face of it my own tips seem a little weak. It's hard to compete with the lure of a buzz. I've got five kids playing at my house, loud and crazy. In general, I like that kind of craziness, but today I'm not really in the mood. I keep thinking of how nice it would be, when the kids who aren't mine go home, to pour myself a glass of wine and relax. If I were to do it, even if I were to stick to 2, I would be:

Breaking a promise I made to myself
                Using wine for relaxation instead of finding some other way to relax
                Interfering with my diet plan (South Beach, back on Phase I again)
                Setting myself up to snap at my kids and then feel guilty about it. If I snap at them sober, I'll still feel guilty, but not nearly as guilty.
                Drinking alone (with just my kids for company, which is pathetic)
                Getting sleepy when there will still be 3 hours until bedtime, homework to help with, and dinner to cook.

So, I'm going to make the rational choice not to drink, even though I want
                to on some very core level.

Are you hanging in there Nancy?

Lila, I've often thought you reminded me of myself, too. Two days is good. Alcohol certainly does interfere with getting in shape. I always eat with less control when I drink. And the next day, I don't feel like working out. How about doing another AF day with Nancy and me? We'll all be glad if we do. As I said once before, no one ever woke up and said, "Wow, I'm really glad I drank last night." Sara

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

You can do this Sara! That's the dangerous part about drinking - starting too early in the day. That ruins the evening and leads me to want to just go to sleep way before all the good shows come on.

Lila - you sound fantastic! Good for you on joining the gym.
                  Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Cyclefan, for me one key to controling drinking has been for me to realize that having a drink isn't really that great, it is just an option I want to continue to have available. I think I'm on the continuum a little closer toward "beast", but I agree with your general thinking. Congrats on your decision for another 30 days - that's never a bad choice, but drinking can be.

Hi everyone!
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Hey All,
                      Made it through AF. and I'm feeling okay. It really helped to come here earlier.
                      Take care everyone. See you tomorrow.
                      Sara

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Have you figured out DrinkTracker??

Nancy,
                        If you have registered with MWO using two different sign in names; it could be that you have to use your first sign in name to get on DrinkTracker...
                        If that doesn't work, do "contact us" below and ask for technical help.
                        ~Kid~

nancy;588783 wrote:
                        Hi all

After 4 AF days, it's the middle of the week and I need to get through it. I tried to get into the drink tracker but I can't get in with my message board login.

I am going trying for at least one AF week but preferably two. I figure I will do some meditation and maybe hypno tonight. I have been taking a supplement that includes LGlut and am not sure if that helps.

Any tips are appreciated! Thanks for the advice Eve, I will use that on nights that are safer.

Nancy
                        It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Hi all,
                          Well, today is Thursday, one day away from the start of Easter weekend. I told my husband my plan and he was pleased. I will also remember to take the l-glut and kudzu. Hopefully that will help to curb any need to go beyond my limits.

I hope everyone is doing well today. I've got a million things to do as my sister and family are coming tomorrow and we're having a big dinner here on Sat. Jeez! Here we go! If I don't make it back until the early next week, have a happy and safe Easter. Love to you all!

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

G'day everyone! I can't believe that lent is almost over. It has been a thoughtful reflective time for me. I am enjoying the rewards of sobriety after 47 days AF now. Thank you all for the help and encouragement you have given me. May you all have a blessed and joyful Easter.
                            Toughen up!

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

nancy, I too had a problem with drinktracker, for some reason it doesn't accept my first account and so I had to create a secondary account (under the name All Apologies) to get it to work.
                              The way I change the past is by not repeating it
                              -James Hetfield, Metallica

Comment

Mod Squad Week of 4/6/09

Hi Squad,
                                I gave in to my desire for wine tonight. Day 5. Typical of me. I've had two glasses. (Do you all measure?) Stopping now feels easy.

I saw your new thread, Kid, and I like your thoughts. I agree, I will never be "normal" about drinking. It will always mean too much to me. I don't like to get drunk, but I like a little buzz. I bet I always will. I will never be someone who drinks wine because I like how it tastes (although I do) or because it goes well with a particular meal (although it does). I will always be someone who drinks because of the mind-altering properties of alcohol. My mind seems to need altering sometimes. Otherwise it gets stuck, in this bored, tense place. Does anyone know what I mean?

Sara

Comment

Working...
                                X