Mod Squad week of April 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun, you really are a ray of sunlight on these boards -- I can just feel all those positive happy vibes!! How has the gardening been this week? I must go and water my poor ole garden, it's looking a little dry since I've been away.

Sara, please share your secret with me... how did you get the kids off to school without having to moan at them?? My daughter is still on holiday but I know come Monday our new found peace will dissappear and lots of threats will be issued in order to get her to the bus stop on time .... sigh!!

J-vo, good on you for picking yourself up by the bra-straps. I don't know if it is my imagination or not, but after a week of holiday and drinking 2 glasses of wine for dinner every night, I swear I can feel my liver aching. I never had more than two glasses but I did break my mod rule by drinking two days in a row, but I must say that the seafood platter wouldn't have been the same without a cold glass of chardonnay which I sipped whist watching the full moon dance across the sea!!

Lila, I was catching up on last weeks thread and you mentioned how good your pre-teen looks in clothes... well I've just spent the last week oggling my 14 year old who has all of a sudden "developed" and fit's into my clothes a damn sight better than I do SHEEZZ!

Sara, I hope that things with you and hubby have got back to normal? I can relate to you being stressed by hubby's drinking and feel you can't say anything. My hubby has really amazed me this last year and seems to have followed my lead when it comes to drinking. He is still drinking every evening but only 2 drinks, sometimes 1 but weekends are where I really notice the difference. I digress... have you considered writing your hubby a letter or e-mail? Sometimes putting it on paper allows us to get our thoughts in order and our message across clearly without attacking the person.
    Sending you strength and good vibes that the biopsy comes back clear.

CF, congrats on your decision to do 30 days with your friend -- that's so supportive of you!! I agree with your thinking, I too can't label AL as the 'beast'.

Kid, sending sunny skies your way -- I'll post some pics later of the amazing sunset and sunrises on the Wild Coast. Oh and who is ED??

Lena, was it you who was asking about Zed?? I haven't heard from him recently but he is well and is living his wonderful interesting life in moderation -- hopefully he is lurking and will give us an update soon:-)

Judie, I love hearing about all the exciting adventures you have got up to but I am really heart sore to hear that you too have marital problems. It does make me realise how much I have to be grateful for.

MM, I too feel like I have over done it over the hoidays and I'm looking forward to getting back into my routine again. I also HAVE TO get exercising!! Was there a reason your son chose meat to give up during lent? I imagine it must've been quite difficult?

Nancy, I was sent a presentation which I think you'll appreciate -- as soon as I figure out how to post it I will.

Vladster, where art thou???

Eve, Nancy, Lila, DM you are in my thoughts.

Well, now I feel like I'm finally back home now that I've caught up on all the news.... crumbs but you gals and guy were chatty last week!!

I'm off to post some pics from the holiday if anyone wants a peek.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Morning all,

Deebs - great to see you back. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday! I'm on vacation as we speak visiting my folks in Florida. It's another beautiful day here! We're headed to the beach later.

Sara, sounds as though you're doing better!

Kid - thank you for all the blessings! You are such a positive inspiration here.

Delta - congrats on your 49 days. Awesome!

MM - good luck on your 30 days. I'll be hopping on board when I go back home for that 30 days stretch.

Well, it's day two on my vacation. Yesterday I had three glasses of wine, and I have to say, I feel pretty proud of myself. I'm drinking slowly, eating, and not drinking until I go to bed! I'm actually laying in bed and reading for a good while, drinking water. And I feel great today! We'll be going to the beach today. It's going to be in the high 80's and sunny. Oh, I've been keeping up with the kudzu and l-glut. Yesterday I think it kind of gave me a little headache earlier in the day. I upped the supps pretty quickly. I probably should have done a gradual increase. But I feel much better today. I do believe they're helping me.

Oh! Welcome bdd! We're a good group to hang out with.

And to all the modders out there St. Jude, cyclefan, Sunbeam (hang in there honey) Lila, Lena Eve, Nancy (hopefully addressed everyone) have a great blessed day.
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

DeeBee!! Great to hear from you, and it sure was sweet of you to take the time to respond to everyone personally. Thanks for the advice on the e-mail to hubby. I tried it once when I wanted to share some things about our relationship. I was hurt when two days later I had to ask, "did you get my e-mail?" and he said he hadn't had time to read it yet; that he really wanted to read it when he could focus. So he read it in front of me, and it did get us talking a little. He has been honest in the last few days about just how stressed out he feels about work. He knows he's looking for relief and drinking a bit too much, and last night he didn't drink at all. I think now that I know he's aware of the problem, I'll feel a lot better. He's not a good communicator, but he does have a lot of self-control. I think he is "controlling" enough to not let his drinking cause a problem. I hope. Maybe I can be a good wifie and offer alternative stress-relief

As for getting the kids off to school with good cheer, there are just a few things that help me. 1. I remember that they will take twice as long as I think they "should" to get ready, and get them moving early 2. I try not to care that much if they're going to be late (much harder if a bus is involved!). Sometimes I have to take a deep breath and remind myself that I'd rather have them start the day late to school, but having said goodbye to a warm, happy mom, than get to school on time and feel my wrath in their little hearts all day! 3. Don't be hung-over. :H Actually, that should be number one.

MadMummy, Keep it up! Sometimes it takes several days AF for me to get my good moods back. But I've also discovered something. I used to have a pattern. I'd stop drinking, thinking on some level that it was going to make every day great...that I wouldn't get depressed anymore, or have those bored or angry days. Then, when I felt lousy while abstaining, I'd think, "I might as well drink! This isn't helping!" The reality, for me, is that there will be moods no matter what. But overall, in the big picture, my moods are better when I don't drink. Does that make sense?

I'm off to a Little League baseball game. It starts at 5, so that covers the drinking hour very nicely. I might have a glass of wine when I get home, but maybe by then I won't feel like it. (:H)

Love to all,
        Sara
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sara, I love your attitude!!! I tend to be too ridgid in my morning routine so when the daughter phafs I plutz!! I am going to pull a "Sara" on her on Monday and see how that goes:-)

J-Vo, Florida sounds bliss -- have fun and enjoy life!!

Today I am feeling buggered, must be I am still on holiday mode although I am supposed to be working. Oh well, another hour or so and then my weekend begins YAY!!
          We are going to take the boat out to the dam for some wake-boarding action this weekend as it'll probably be the last we'll use it for a while as Autumn is setting in and there is a definite nipple in the air.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi all, Day 5 for me and yes I am feeling better today.

Deebs my son is 11 and already he chooses the route that will be the least easy for his life!! There is no hope, don't know why he stuck on giving up meat he's never given anything up before but that's him.

Wet and horrid here today but the weekend promises better weather. Kids are fighting in the living room so must go and break it up:H

Love to all
            BX

Comment

Barnyard critters...

MM,
              My 16 YO girl(Bee) has trouble with meat too.
              She thinks too much; but I'm glad in a way.
              She's not giving it up entirely,
              but I can tell it won't be a huge part of her diet when she's an adult; and that's OK.
              That's healthy and responsible.
              She has had many pets over the years and I think she's very aware of what has been given up just to put meat on her plate.

Friday in the Midwest.
              It will be sunny and in the 70s; hooray!
              Cat's at work; Bee's at school.
              It's LazyDog and me.
              What will this day bring?
              Have a great one,Ladies!!
              ~Kid~
              It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Good morning everyone,
                Day 3 of my vacation with the folks and I'm doing really well. Yesterday I had two glasses of wine, and it was perfect! Not too little, not too much. I really think the kudzu and l-glut are working for me. I'm not struggling at the end of that second glass and it it feels so great!

Sara - moods are going to change no matter AF or AL. We can deal with it much better, though, when we're not hungover and dragging through the day. Bumps in our roads will continue. We'll be strong enough to handle them.

Deebs - have fun wake-boarding. We went to the beach yesterday, and a little girl was pulling a dog on a board in the ocean. It was so cute and funny. I took a picture (it was hard because I used my phone to take) but didn't get close enough.

MM-Good for you! Five days. You're rockin' and rollin'.

Have a great day. I'm going to proudly post on drinktracker now. Then I'm off to the pool to chat with my senior cronies. These old folks here just love life. Everyone is so damn happy! They smile and wave all the time. We want to be these people when we reach their age, so we need to be good to ourselves now. Peace everyone.
                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Well...

You better start "smiling and waving" at me all the time
                  because nobody else is listening to you;(where IS everybody?? Noboby posted ALL day!) :H.
                  Keep drinking but keep MODDING...
                  It's the Good Life!!
                  Peace to you too!
                  ~Kid~

j-vo;594279 wrote: Good morning everyone,
                  Day 3 of my vacation with the folks and I'm doing really well. Yesterday I had two glasses of wine, and it was perfect! Not too little, not too much. I really think the kudzu and l-glut are working for me. I'm not struggling at the end of that second glass and it it feels so great!

Sara - moods are going to change no matter AF or AL. We can deal with it much better, though, when we're not hungover and dragging through the day. Bumps in our roads will continue. We'll be strong enough to handle them.

Deebs - have fun wake-boarding. We went to the beach yesterday, and a little girl was pulling a dog on a board in the ocean. It was so cute and funny. I took a picture (it was hard because I used my phone to take) but didn't get close enough.

MM-Good for you! Five days. You're rockin' and rollin'.

Have a great day. I'm going to proudly post on drinktracker now. Then I'm off to the pool to chat with my senior cronies. These old folks here just love life. Everyone is so damn happy! They smile and wave all the time. We want to be these people when we reach their age, so we need to be good to ourselves now. Peace everyone.
                  ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hey JVO! Sounds like you're doing great! We're off to Florida on Monday, and I'm looking forward to it.

Madmummy, glad to hear you're doing better!

DeeBee, sorry to hear you were feeling "buggered", but I must say I love the expression. I'm going to try and start incorporating it into my vocabulary. It's so un-American, people may think I'm trying to be Bridgette Jones, but I don't care.

Working today, Kid? I am. Then we're having a little early birthday celebration for my almost 10 year old. I'm excited to give him the Nintendo DS he's been asking for for 2 years...But wouldn't you know it, they've come out with the DS-I...it has internet access. I decided I don't want him to have access to the internet in the privacy of his own room. But I hate the thought that he might open his gift and be disappointed, because although it's what he's been begging for up until a week ago, it's now passe. Jeez.

I've been really into exercise lately, and I think it's helping my moods. My favorite thing is to walk in the woods with the dog. It is so freeing, to spend 40 minutes to an hour walking and jogging, and watching her have the time of her life running through brooks and over rocks. I'm hooked. I'll miss that when we're away. I think I'll have to run on the beach.

More tension with Hubby, and I am lonely in that part of my life. The kids, dog, work, and now hiking, fill me up to some extent, but I carry a constant sadness over not being more emotionally connected to my husband. I suppose we could revisit the idea of couple's therapy, but at the moment I don't feel very optimisitc about what it would do. Maybe a vacation week together will help...the problem is we'll be staying with his parents, and that isn't easy for him.

Well, it's been quiet around here. I hope everyone is doing well. I'll check in later. Sara
                    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hi Friends,
                      My husband and I decided to celebrate the arrival of spring yesterday with wine on the patio. We always get fresh shrimp when we do this, and a bunch of sides which yesterday also included tzatziki sauce with fresh red peppers, baby carrots, All-Bran crackers and peanuts in the shell. I am SO grateful that I have this support group, which enables me to still occasionally indulge like this. In my past, I spent way too much time drinking wine by myself on the patio. I am SO relieved that those days are over.

I boiled the shrimp tails in a little water to use to flavor the dog's food. I have to put something on the dried food to get her to eat it, since she is in her last days. Both the dried and canned foods are from the vet, formulated for her kidney problems, but if she eats only canned, which she prefers, it goes right through her. If I use the same flavoring (like salt-free chicken broth) on multiple days, she get tired of it. So she is hanging on, but continues on the inevitable course.

Hi Kid, I'm still around, contemplating my Drink Tracker for April. I am not entirely happy because it looks like there will be no AF weekends this month, because next weekend is my birthday. We will go out to a nice restaurant, and I will enjoy wine with my meal. Ah well, just keep working toward those goals. The first weekend, where I was away at a family wedding was the worst: they gave me a whole bottle of wine for myself at check-in! I drank it over the two days I was there, but still... I don't have THAT much self control (to not drink that wine, with down time just waiting around for the events). My husband had stayed home with the ailing dog. Ah, well....
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Is EVERYONE on vacation??

You're right,Sara. It's QUIET around here.
                        Quiet can be good, though. I LIKE quiet; at least at home.

Yes, I'm working today..
                        This is getting to be a habit that I'm not sure I like!
                        It's got me "buggerered" :H
                        Doesn't that have something to do with one's buttocks???
                        Have a great one (great DAY, not BUTTOCKS) everybody.

On subject: Fell into a rut; and I KNOW better..
                        I drank 2 days in a row which almost ALWAYS gets me on a roll...
                        Now it's 4 DAYS IN A ROW!!
                        Make it stop!!!:H
                        ~Kid~

Hi, Sunbeam!! I was typing while you were posting!
                        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi, yeah quiet can be really good. I'm on Day 6 and today feeling great also have the house to myself with husband and son watching rugby (unfortunately their team is losing...) at Twickenham, 2 foster boys visiting their family and darling daughter riding horses around the countryside. I think I may try a run later or maybe a walk as you say enjoy the time,the quiet, listen to the birds and watch what Spring is doing around here.

Kid sending strength to you - hope you get it!
                          Sara you've inspired me with your hiking tales.
                          Sunbeam - I'm hungry for shrimps now!!

Luv to all
                          Bx

Comment

Good day, all. I am checking in and saying hello on this bright beautiful spring day. I am still AF and on day 53. I considered a glass of wine last night at a show but when I asked hubby if he wanted anything from the bar he said no. I am following his lead now. He stopped drinking in Jan. and I was still moderating up until lent started and we've both been clean since. He had a huge drinking problem and we separated for a short while because of it. I am thankful that he has decided to make a change and take alcohol out of his life. But things are far from wonderful. When we spend time together he is mean-spirited and takes every opportunity to put me down and is generally grumpy. So I really need a friend today and I have come here to ask for some kind words. Thank you for being here for me.
                            Blessings
                            Toughen up!

Comment

Awwww...We LOVE you DM!!!!!

If you want kind words; you came to the right place!
                              Except it may be just you and me right now...
                              But I love you,Delta.
                              I will never be mean to you.:l
                              ~Kid~
                              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi Delta, it's good to see you. I'm up early with my youngest grandson Riley. He's a real crackerjack and loves to play games on nickjr.com. I had to wrestle the computer away from him.

So sorry you and Sara both are having problems. I am so lucky I have the most wonderful husband. He's old, and overweight, and he talks too much somtimes and drives me wild but he adores me and complements me frequently even though I don't think I deserve it. Well that sounds like I'm bragging but I'm not, I waited until I was 48 to get married so I spent a whole lot of lonely years raising two kids by myself.

Sunbeam my heart breaks every time I hear about your poor old dog. I had the best dog in the whole world who failed slowly like yours is doing. They are precious in their last days and I promise you will have lots of wonderful memories.

MadMummy I am glad you're posting here with us. It's good to meet people who are working to give alcohol an adult place in their life.

j-vo I wish I were on vacation too! You're doing great and having fun, what could be better?

Hi DeeBee! Have a dam good time, and watch out for those nipples in the air! :H

Kid, who loves you? Don't work too hard this weekend.

Well, I have a three year old hanging on my back singing "What's gonna work, Teamwork" which happens to be the theme song from a children's program called Wonderpets. So off to nickjr.com for more fun and games!
                                vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Working...
                                X