Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 20 April

Hey Gang,
    Boy, I've really been missing you guys. I'm in Florida with my family, staying with Hubby's parents. My FIL fell yesterday, and broke his knee cap. Since then it's been all about getting him taken care of. He's nearly 80 and seeming frail. MIL is fussy and tense and also not very capable...This is not going to be a vacation per se.

Nevertheless, the weather is beautiful, the kids are happy, playing on the beach and at the pool, and I'm staying pretty stable. MIL drinks a lot of wine. She starts at 5pm and drinks all night, until bed at 10 or 11. She pours cheap chablis over ice. I bought myself a nice bottle of wine today, because I'd rather have 2 glasses of a good wine than 6 of a cheap one....But now I'm on #3, so I asked hubby to set me up with internet access. The kids need me to get them tucked into bed now....So I'm off.

This is hard. I'm not really enjoying myself, and it makes me question things too much...Why am I not a more positive person? Why don't I have more fun with my husband? Why do I feel so empty that I want to drink to fill myself up? Why can't I be the woman I want to be...optimistic and positive and full of good cheer?

Yikes....
    Gotta go. I wish I could check in more, but it won't be easy this week. Love to all.
    Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Oh Sarah, so sorry to hear about your FIL. OUCH! That's got to be a stressful situation for you to be in as well. Stay strong Hon.

(I totally embarrassed myself last time we were @ the In-laws, w/my drinking too much...)
      My In-laws live in Fla as well.

All of these Grande Canyon stories... making me nostogic. I spent a season working there when I was 19, before I moved to Colorado.
      I lived @ the South Rim, ( actually about 7 mi from there, just outside the park. Working @ the Red Feather Lodge. I guess it's next to where the Imax theatres are now...haven't been there since they put them in)

I used to hike all over the Canyon on my days off. I had friends who worked down @ Phantom Ranch @ the bottom, so I'd hike down & help w/chores. Then I'd have free food & beer, plus a nice matress by the creek to sleep on.

I've also been thru the gorge by raft & kayak 4 times. That's an incredible way to see it.:h Wish I were there right now...
      The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Kid, I love reading about you and HHG. Thanks for the heads up on pareneting -- I need all the encouragement I can get that this is NOT the end of it!! Crumbs but 14 year olds sure know it all!!!
        SPD!!! I have to tell me daughter that, she'll love it!!!

J-Vo, great post!!! Just what I needed to hear today. I think I'm only getting D's lately. Everything is slipping and I can feel my old habits returning. I am not happy with what I have or rather haven't achieved this month and need to get a plan together for May. It amazes me how I have total lack of energy to do anything when I am down -- I hate it!! I am considering going back to the Doc for a chat.

MM, congrats on getting those double digits!!!

Judie, what sort of painting are you doing -- your life sounds so interesting!!

Vladster, your piano is beautiul!! Have you put it together yet? How does it sound?

DM, hiking down the grand canyon WOW!!! How far is it? How long should it take? What made you decide to do it? It sounds absolutely awesome. I am doing the ladies 10km walk in July and have yet to dust off the ole running shoes so you have motivated me to get my toush moving. And yes, I remember now how good I felt after doing exercise.

Sun, I googled "Thin for Life" as it sounds really interesting and I found the whole book on-line. I have started reading it and already it struck a cord with me "all in moderation" is what she says in the Foreward -- too true. Here is the link to the book if anyone is interested. Thin for Life: 10 Keys to Success ... - Google Book Search

(((Sara))) those questions that you ask often rattle around in my little head. I hope your FIL recovers quickly -- how lucky they are to have you there to help.

Right, this has taken me and hour and a half to post as I got sidetracked with reading the book lol, so it's now teatime and I haven't done any work today.

Have a great Thursday -- the weekends nearly here YIPPEEEE!
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Here it is Thursday already and I haven't posted in this thread yet this week? I live too much in my head, because I talk to you people all the time!

Well I live very close to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and try to make it over at least one time a year. When I first moved to this area a lot of folks came to visit so we would get a chance to see the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Lake Powell several times a year. Now we don't get visitors as much so we have to make an effort to go. There is a great little restaurant at Jacob's Lake (there is no lake there, don't ask me why they call it that), that is where you turn to get to the North Rim. If you get a chance to eat there, everything on the menu is good.

Sara my dad is 82 and he broke his kneecap four years ago or so. The greatest thing for him has been one of those lift chairs, as he still has some problems with it. Hope your FIL does better.

Vlad I envy you the piano. I don't have much talent but I can read music, I took lessons for 15 years, but that was *mumble mumble* years ago. I'm not very fond of listening to music but piano music I can stand.

Sunbeam how is your old dog doing? I'm glad the springtime is here for the warm days must be comforting.

Delta take care in California, and I hope your trip is productive.

Saint Jude you work too hard! You put me to shame I can barely drag myself back and forth to an office job some days. I think going to work in a kayak must be an adventure I'll never have.

Eve I hope your husband is better by this time of the week.

Mad Mummy good for you on 9 days. I didn't raise girls, but I did think that my two boys should have been freeze dried at age 13 and thawed at age 22.

J-Vo I'm on day five of my self-imposed 30 days although this time around I'm not really counting like I did first time. I may do this a few time before I get it done to where I'm comfortable with my relationship with alcohol. Jump in anytime you feel like it.

Kid, always good to hear from you. I like reading about your life, it sounds happy.

DeeBee, I agree bring on the weekend! Take care everyone this went on longer than I intended now I need to rush to get to work. xo Beth
          vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Hi all;
            Day off for me. Good to hear from everybody and these last weeks I resonate more with those struggling than with those succeeding. I've just hit a place of 'getting by" "neutral". I'm not meeting my exercise or mods goals so my weight is up 5lbs - not terrible, but not good, but I don't feel motivated to jump in and kick ass.

I've been seriously waiting for the warmer weather (which is due this weekend) to start biking . .. which helps me feel more like an athlete. . . which helps get me back in gear. I need something to look forward to. A fun vacation. A date. Neither of which is on the horizon despite lots of efforts on my part. Wha wha wha. Nothing really to whine about, but guess I just did.

Kid thanks for the "hope" for teenage recovery: I'm expecting at least one more year of challenge.

DeeBee: I saw pictures of the lines for your election yesterday. Hope all went well.

J-vo: I like the analogy of "working for improvement'. I'm at a B- I think.

Sara: hang in there and try to get out and enjoy the Florida sunshine.

Hi to Judie, Cyle, Vlad, Sun, Delta ,MM and everybody else!!
            Ask

Comment

The old dog was put to rest today. Thank you for all of your kind thoughts. The house is cold and silent.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Oh Sunbeam how very sad for you. I share in your sorrow. xo Beth

Comment

OK, I'm ready for my close up, Mr Deville...

Who said that,anyway?*
                  ANYWAY, what I'm really ready for
                  is to join a leg of your 30 day journey, CF.
                  Like you, I had to wake up and feel like this was the day.

I feel like "20" is going to be my sacred power number...
                  I'm not a big fan of enforced AFing but I want to graduate to a more "occasional" type drinking
                  and I shot myself in the foot last week.
                  So, today is "Day one" of twenty. I need some practice.
                  Tuesdays will be the hard one;
                  that's when we go to a bar to "dance"...

Look at this!
                  There are at least 3 more posts while I'm typing!!
                  I'm so ridiculously slow!

(((Sunbeam))) Sorry about doggy...When our last boxer died, it was SO morbidly silent in our lives.
                  We thought we wanted our grief
                  but our friends said get another one ASAP.
                  I thought they were crazy;
                  but it was some of the best advice we ever got!
                  Everyone is different, though, in their approach to this.
                  I told Cat I might replace her alot quicker, if she goes before me,
                  now that I see how well it works.
                  ASk: Good to see you here.
                  This is where I'm staying now.
                  My adventures elsewhere were not a good fit,
                  and for whatever reason we brought out the worst in each other.
                  I'm going to stay in Mods where people bring out the BEST in me.
                  BTW, I'm going to try 20 days here AF and see if that doesn't motivate me to meet the exercise/weight goals.
                  We THINK 5 or 10lbs isn't much;
                  but pick up 2 five pounds bags of sugar at the grocery.
                  Then remember that the extra weight is on us in the form of fat/lard!!
                  I wish I lived closer to you.
                  I LOVE casual biking...
                  and I have SO much spare time!
                  DeeBee:
                  Thanks for the link. See; we ARE on to something:
                  "All in Moderation"
                  That's us!
                  "The Mod Life is the Good Life!"

A peaceful,happy evening to all!
                  [This was getting too long;
                  love to everybody else]
                  ~Kid~

* Found it: "I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeVille." Gloria Swanson, Sunset Boulevard
                  (1950)
                  It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                  ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Kid do you want to have a thread here or join in the one in Subs?

I think the most of the people who have joined in, in Subs, are thinking the AF life, (you know, where the Beast rules their lives) while I and at least one other that I know are using the 30 days as a springboard to good modding again.

The 30 for me is not hard and fast. It is just a place in the future.

Comment

I'll just lurk and see...(Life on Mars)

I don't especially need a thread...
                      I'll just do it vicariously and chime in here or there.

The Subs are calming down.
                      I don't want to get it going by showing my face too soon.

I have been doing a little reading.
                      One has to wonder about some health problems and somatic complaints that have a connection to anger issues.

See you here and there!
                      ~Kid~
                      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Sunbeam;599339 wrote: The old dog was put to rest today. Thank you for all of your kind thoughts. The house is cold and silent.
                        I am so sorry Sunbeam, I know how you must be feeling. It horrible when we have to say goodbye...:l
                        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

(((Sun)))
                          My heart aches for you. I am so sorry for your loss.
                          Know that I am thinking of you and will give my "boy" an extra special hug when I get home.
                          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Vladster, I haven't heard from you since the piano arrived -- are you tinkling those ivories??

Kid, I think we definetly bring out the best in you here -- stay close.
                            There is a thread over in "Starting Out" called "Accountability Partner" which I have joined. It reminded me of something you used to do for us here in mods. If it will help you achieve your goal of 20 days AF I will be your partner -- let me know how we can help:-)

I live too much in my head, because I talk to you people all the time!
                            LMAO CF, are we twins??
                            Congrats on 5 days AF!! Personally I found it more difficult to do my last stint of 30 days -- my head kept telling me that it was okay to have "just a glass" cause I've done 30 days before and know that I can do it DUH!!

Sun, be kind to yourself this weekend. Sending love and hugs to you from across the pond!!

Ask, it's great to hear from you -- as always. Yes, we had elections on Wednesday. The results are not final as yet but we all know the outcome -- the ANC will still rule, nothing will change, our new president is very corrupt!!

On a happy note -- I dusted off my running shoes, borrowed a pair of hubby's shorts (LOL I looked ridiculous!!) and went for a run with the daughter yesterday. To all the Moms (and Kid) out there who are having issues with their teenagers -- take them for a run! We had such fun laughing at each other, batteling to breathe and just plain ole bonding -- it's brilliant cause we were both too knackered to fight or argue with each other LOL. We did end up running a hell of a lot further than planned - nearly 5kms!!

On an interesting note -- it's been just short of 3 months since I quit smoking and jeez could I feel the difference whilst running yesterday!! I had a lot more energy because I could breath properly, without coughing up a stompie at every bend LOL!!
                            This afternoon is garden time. I have a crew coming around and we're going to dig up three new beds for veggies for the winter and I need to transplant some aubergine plants which are in the way of where we are going to build.
                            This weekend is another long weekend for us, with Monday being a public holiday -- AGAIN, I know, so I've got lots of house stuff planned.

Have a super-duper Friday everyone!!!

Comment

While spending four hours with Ed...

I'm catching myself whistling..
                              (I'm a whistler..it's what people did to amuse themselves BEFORE Ipods)Anyway, I'm whistling a song by one of my all time favorite artists, Michael Nesmith...
                              The song is Winonah.

Winonah

written by Michael Nesmith, Linda Hargrove & James Miner

Winonah
                              The whiskey owns her
                              So she takes to the taverns to take some company
                              Winonah
                              Nobody's shown her
                              That barrooms are a prison and whiskey is no key

Contemplating why her youth so quickly slipped away
                              Winonah pours another drink to wash the pain away
                              Taking whiskey for her wages, Winonah looks for truth
                              While sweeping up the sawdust underneath the barroom booth

Winonah
                              The whiskey owns her
                              Winonah
                              Nobody's shown her

Early in her younger days she felt she could not cope
                              So dependency on dreams became her only hope
                              And now the dreams she's dreaming come from bottles on the shelf
                              So gaily, drinking daily, sweet Winonah finds herself

Winonah
                              The whiskey owns her
                              Winonah
                              Nobody's shown her

Winonah
                              The whiskey owns her
                              Winonah
                              Nobody's shown her

That barrooms are a prison
                              And whiskey is no key

***Here's a list of his music..Find Winonah and play it; and you'll know what I'm whistling right now!

Music: Pretty Much Your Standard Michael Nesmith Stash by iamthecosmos - Rhapsody Online
                              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Happy Friday all,
                                Hope everyone's week went well. This is the last weekend class! Yah! I've almost made it through, and my struggles with my anxiety. I've done much better than I anticipated, and I'm grateful to God and to the program that I've been working. And to you all, who give me hope of a better life.

Vlad - Your new piano looks awesome! Enjoy playing.

Delta - What a great goal! Hiking the Grand Canyon? I'd just love to see it. A few years ago, my parents took a helicopter ride over it and said it was breathtaking. I saw the pictures, but they said the pics didn't do it justice. Good luck with your training.

Kid - Good luck on your 20 days. That's a great goal. I'll be hopping on the wagon with you Monday. I've had a good return this week after vacation, getting back to my AF days during the week. My goal come Monday is 30 days AF. That should put me on a healthy road for this coming summer, which I plan to be more productive and love everyday of it more than ever.

Sunbeam - I'm so sorry about your pooch. My prayers are with you. The Thin for Life sounds interesting. It is all about a lifestyle change, changing our mindset about how to live life moderately. I'm slowly catching on, more and more everyday. I watch the Biggest Loser on Tuesday evenings, and love the show. It's so inspirational. But what those people have to remember and learn is that it starts with identifying why we overeat, what the real issues are. That's what we do here too. I'm tackling the inner with my therapist, working through a lot of things that caused me to overdrink and not take care of myself. It's not easy to face those things, but I'm progressing in baby steps. It takes time, lots of it.

Sara- sorry to hear about your FIL accident. Although that's a good thing you and your family were there to support at their time of need. Hang in there and enjoy the beautiful Florida weather and your children.

St. Jude-You put me to shame! My outdoorsy self is so insignificant to what you've done. Kayaking, hiking the Canyon. Gosh! I cannot top that ever!

Deebs - Good for you running with your daughter! That's wonderful and such quality time. Yesterday, my son had a baseball game and he was doing some practice throwing his different pitches to me (I can't tell the difference!) but then he let me throw some to him. He was on the ground laughing so hard because I'm not the athletic type at all, and I make the stupidest faces when I try to throw hard. Those small bits of time mean a lot. Hey! Good for you too on the 3 months! Awesome. Keep it up!

Cyclefan - I'll be hopping on the wagon on Monday for a 30 day AF stint. I'll need your support.

Ask - good to hear from you!

Ok. I hope everyone has a great day, and a great weekend. I'll check back on Monday, as I'll be in class all weekend. If you're in the NE US, enjoy the beautiful weather that's long overdue.
                                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                                X