The Mod Squad Week of 5/4/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still questioning;608519 wrote: I wonder if the modders need an ongoing "health
    SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
    Good thinking Still (aka my friend). I'll start one later today. Have some good info to share.
    Esp. want to address fatty liver. Sometimes giving those visuals helps us to really realize the damage we can do to our bodies.
    Everything in moderation!
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Friendly Kid,

Good for you, a name change is a start to the kinder and gentler you that lies inside. You can make this improvement, you have done so well on so many fronts.

On my gardening Q's and A's thread, I just posted a link to an article about how digging in the dirt reduces depression, increases seratonin.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi Folks,
        I feel bad because I wrote out kind of a long one, with responses to you guys, earlier today, but it vanished before my eyes, as they sometimes do. Now I'm too tired to say much, except that I got through day 3 with no real craving at all, and I feel good about that. The kids had the day off from school, and I really enjoyed being with them, in a way I wouldn't have if I hadn't been abstinent the last few days. Sounds like others are doing well, too.

More tomorrow. Sara
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hey guys,
          I used to use any excuse to drink. Hubby unexpectedly went out for a drink tonight (he rarely does that but has a good buddy he enjoys getting together with) and the old me would have said "He's having one so I want one too and I definitely would have had a glass of wine or two".
          Didn't do it and so happy I didn't as I work tomorrow and I just didn't need to do that!
          Hugs,
          Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Eve, thanks for all the health info, I am learning a lot. I think a health thread is a great idea. There are so many supps, etc out there that it boggles the brain. I found an awesome Health Store yesterday during my travels and I swear I lost an hour of my life in there lol!
            Oh Eve, that sound's just like how I used to think - silly isin't it!! I am so pleased you made the decision not to drink last night:happy:

Sun, I bumped up the Gardening thread last week and then forgot what I wanted to ask you I arrived home last night to absolute devastation in my garden. A mini tornado whipped through and I have trees, branches uprooted plants... just a general mess to deal with today. Figures, I have a bunch of girls arriving for book club tonight and my garden is a disaster zone.

Vladster, how is life treating you?? Are you notching up those AF days like no body's business?

Kid, HOW ARE YOU???

Hi MM, J-Vo, Eve, Ask, Judie, Lila, Sara and all to come......i must catch up on some work for a bit:wavin:
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Eve, great threads you've got goin' on! Every bit we can add to our toolbox is soooooooo important if we're going to be successful modders.

Sara - good for you! Three days and I'm sure you'll be feeling great today.

It's Thursday, and I'm getting more done around the house this week, getting more exercise this week, and just feeling all around good. I had some cravings the past few days though. I don't really know if they were cravings or just fleeting thoughts. I was sitting here with my back door open and it was raining. I was giving myself a pedicure! And I thought, wouldn't it be nice to have a glass of wine while I pamper myself. Well, of course that wasn't going to happen, because I didn't have any in the house and I wasn't about to run to the store to get some. Months ago, I would not have gotten past the thought and would have run out to the store to purchase some poison. It wasn't worth my effort to go, I read Eve's thread, and I posted my zero on drinktracker. Just these small tasks, changes, are leading me in the right direction. Oh, one night I had the cravings, I took some kudzu and l-glut, just because it made me feel safer if I did that. That's all. Just sharing experiences.

I hope everyone has a great day.
              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

((J-Vo)) you sound strong and focused today!!

Isin't is dof the way we think of AL as a reward? Like at the end of a hard day, we "deserve" a drink. I hear my friends talking like that and I really have to bite my tonge not to say something as I know they won't appreciate the comment.
                It is great that you are being aware of your thoughts and mindful of your actions = a recipe for modding success:-)
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

DeeBee;608957 wrote:
                  It is great that you are being aware of your thoughts and mindful of your actions = a recipe for modding success:-)
                  Excellent statement DeeBee and how true it is! I have even found those few times in the past that I've gone over my limit just the fact that I'm so much more aware and mindful of what I'm doing has probably prevented a lot of the old actions that would happen with one too many.

It's an amazing journey and I'm glad we're all in this crazy adventure together.
                  Hugs,
                  Eve11

Comment

Spring at last in the Midwest...

Well Modders...
                    Have you (in the USA) been to your local greenhouse yet???
                    I am SO excited about the growing season beginning here!
                    We will have to follow DeeBees "Adventures in Gardening" closely.
                    She's one of our resident experts.
                    The Modder Area is staying well organized and prospering;
                    our demise was one of my big worries when I was banned.

As they shut down each new name, I make a new one for that day.
                    They will probably figure out something more effective soon,
                    but for now, I'll just play it like this.
                    I think if RJ knew she had appointed such vindictive,
                    cliquish girls to control this "banning" thing,
                    I bet she would reconsider the whole forum moderator concept;
                    but I do not know how to reach her or convey what is going on.

The Mod Life is the Good Life here...
                    HHG is getting a job in the village (within walking distance) at the new
                    HARDWARE STORE!!!
                    College Girl is spending too much, and learning too little...
                    We'll see what's next.
                    The ER has had more psych patients and Alcohol Detoxes lately..
                    What's going on???

The Health Thread is looking GOOD, Eve..
                    ~KID~

Comment

Deebee, thank you. Yes, I am feeling strong lately. That could change at any minute, hour, or day! I need to be careful. Good luck with your gardening. I've never had a green thumb. That's got to be one of my new goals, eventually!

Still Q2, we need you here. If there's anything we can do to stand behind you to let them know you're needed here, then let me know. We can all pm RJ. Does she get those pm's. Let us know.
                      HHG got her first job! You're gettin' old dude! I know, I am, too.

Ok, some more positive things happening in my life. Just staying up late, watching tv. Jokin' around with my hubby and son, acting like goofs. Run out shopping on a whim. Getting excited about tv shows. I'm so excited this week and next, as we have lots of finale's. Well, lots meaning 3, and this makes me happy. I look forward to that family time watching tv at night now. I've missed so much over the years, and next year I'm going to make sure I have a tv show to watch Monday-Friday. Even if I have to DVR it.

Take care. Hi, bdd. That name may be hard for the dyslexics! When I typed it, I had to look back twice because I typed bbd!
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

I'm feeling a little reflective right now. Maybe there's a better word, but as I read posts here and above in other threads, I see those people at the beginning of their struggle to get a hold of the beast, just learning what tools will help them, where to start, how to start... I think to myself, WOW! I've come such a long way. I feel as though I have grown so much learning from all of you here, and picking myself up after screw-ups, dusting myself off, and getting back on track. It seems as though it's getting better each time, more AF days are being recorded, more healing time under my belt. I'm so grateful for that. THEN...I see so many people are so far ahead of me in this battle. And you know what, at first that can be unnerving. Then I get more hope for the future. And I think, stay close to this site, use what you've learned. Think before you act. It's not happening overnight, but it's happening.

Comment

Hi Friends,
                          First the good news: my biospy results came back and were completely benign. I hadn't really been too worried, but it's still nice to know.

The bad news is things are worse with Hubby...
                          The good news is I made an appointment for us with a couples' therapist, and he agreed to go.
                          The bad news is, he's totally shutting me out and it makes me feel really anxious and lonely.
                          The good news is, I'm not drinking, anyway. Day four today.

DeeBee, I'm so sorry about your garden! It's time I started working on mine.
                          J-VO, thanks for the reflections...You are doing great!
                          Eve, I know exactly what you mean about finding excuses to drink. I catch myself thinking that way all the time, but now I am so much better at talking myself out of it than I used to be. Good for you for doing so!
                          Welcome, BDD, and hey there SQ2.

I'm going to face being in the same room with my husband now. Without a drink. Wish me luck! Sara
                          "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sarasmiles;609233 wrote: Hi Friends,
                            First the good news: my biospy results came back and were completely benign. I hadn't really been too worried, but it's still nice to know.
                            YAY!!! That is great news!!
                            Sheez Sara, you have so much on your plate at the moment - I am sorry to hear that your hubby is not being more supportive :l:l

Hey Kid! Have you tried to PM RJ direct? I did once and got a reply within a day or so.
                            The ER sounds hectically crazy for you -- how you stay sane amongst all that mayheim I'll never know.

Your spring is beginning and my winter is just around the corner. I haven't done much gardening in winter before but I plan on changing that this year. Really our winters are very mild here, although I am an absolute wuss, but the temp doesn't drop below 15C and other than very little rainfall it is a great climate for squashes and fruit trees.

Last night was my turn to host book club and I don't know what happened but I was not mindfull of how much I was drinking and ended up over doing it -- I feel terrible today -- all thick headed and sluggish. I don't enjoy drinking during the week and I really don't like the feeling of not being in full control anymore. It's funny how a year ago it would've taken me a 2lt box of wine to get to that point and now all it takes is 3 glasses.

TGIF!!

Comment

Another rainy day...

I don't remember April even being this wet!
                              I'm just reading your posts and getting my footing.
                              I don't have reliable access to an internet connection
                              and unfortunately can't post every day;
                              but I don't have that much to say anyway...
                              It seems like most of the hard work has to be done on our own ;
                              don't you think?

I drink almost every day; not alot,
                              but my partner isn't thrilled with ANY amount.
                              I'm at MWO to Moderate better.

I'm glad your biopsy was benign, Sara.
                              My partner wasn't so lucky and lost a breast.
                              This recovery brings its own problems.
                              She's on a VERY healthy regimen now and opted to not take the post op chemo.
                              I hope it's the right choice.
                              (I wish a glass of wine was part of her regimen!)

Well, Doggie needs walking and I have alot to do today!
                              You all take care.
                              Keep lurking until you can come back, Kid.
                              Peace,
                              Sprockets
                              Everyone has a right to love and be loved, and nobody on this earth has the right to tell anyone that their love for another human being is morally wrong.

BARBRA STREISAND

Comment

Deebee, I hope you're able to save your garden. I just read that a mini tornado went through. That had to have been pretty scary. About 5 years ago, we were in Orlando, Florida and were right in the middle of Hurricane Charlie (think it was) and it was the absolute scariest experience. We were in a huge hotel, and I was walking back to the room to get something (everyone was gathered in the lobby watching this storm) and the power went out! It was only about 5 seconds, but it was pitch black. I couldn't see a thing and was so terrified. The next day, the devastation around us was shocking. I hope you're doing ok. And, see your progress! Only 3 glasses compared to 2 lt. is quite an improvement to feel like sh**!

Sara, I'm so happy that your biopsy came back benign. That's a huge relief. I'd had a few biopsies before, and know that feeling. My mom's had a mastectomy and follow-up treatments. So it's always in the back of my mind. Sorry that's hubby is being that way. Hang in there. You're a strong woman! And you're doing the right thing with staying away from AL. This is a time where you especially need to have a clear head.

Hi Sprockets. Welcome to Modder land. Yes, we do have to do most of the work on our own, but the support here is an extremely important part of that process.

Kid, let us know about pm-ing RJ.

Have a great day everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X