Mod Squad - July Thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TGIF! Well, everyday is Friday for me while I'm not working. My hubby told me that I was dreaming of work and my classroom, because I'd been talking in my sleep about it. I think I'm ready to return! Bring it on kids!

Last night after a baseball game, we stopped at a restaurant/bar with a group of parents and boys from the team. I had two glasses of beer. I have to be honest. That first one was heavenly. Tasted so great. I ordered another, and I am pleased to say that I drank it much slower than the first and was not even considering ordering another. It was plenty. Beer is unlike wine for me in that I would continue ordering wine regardless if the taste of the third glass would not be as good as the first. I should stick with beer, but when going out for a nice dinner, wine hits the spot then. Then, on the ride home, of course I had a slight buzz, and I fought with myself (in my head) about having another beer when I got home, regardless of the fact that I didn't have a taste for it. I went back and forth, telling myself it would only be lots of calories I didn't need, I'd rather have something sweet, it's late (10:00), I'll be up peeing if I have a few more. Stupid. So I resisted the urge and shoved something sweet in my mouth the moment I entered the kitchen! It worked.

Moo - you are such a rebellious chick! Wearing linen! Yeah, when my sister and I went to the driving range, it was so hilarious. We were laughing at each other as we'd consistently miss the ball. Enjoy your weekend.

Deebs - sorry about that stupid scam guy. You'll find a pup. Dogs are our very best friends. I love my to death. Well, last night after those two beers, I had the urge for a smoke, but because #1 I didn't have any, #2 I'd never smoke around my son, I was safe. Limiting my AL intake is a must in the early cessation days.

Eve - have fun at your party. It would feel great not to have to dread and worry about an upcoming party and knowing that you don't have to feel insecure about losing control. Awesome.

Tip - congrats on so much progress! That's great.

All modders, have a terrific weekend and safe 4th!
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Just a quick check in.
      I'm home - TGIF
      Dear FIL is here so i'll catch up with you later.
      Love and Hugs to all
      I am thinking of you
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

J-VO

I am EXACTLY the same with Beer and Wine.....And with the great DEBATE that ensues after a couple of drinks...well done for resisting that urge...GREAT stuff.
        "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
        but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Hi all. Glad work is done - but it's not over yet for me. Setting out to do some detached youth work at 8.30pm, got a feeling it's going to be a long one.
          Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hi all,
            I'm happy to realize that June was a great month in terms of my relationship with alcohol, and in a lot of other ways. I only drank on 3 days, with the other 27 days AF. I did not go overboard. I haven't decided about July 5 - 8, when we will do a get-away. I expect we will share a bottle of wine with dinner Sun eve, where we have a restaurant walking distance from our lodging. We will be out and about Mon and Tues, so if I have anything those days, it will likely be just one glass unless we will be walking awhile after dinner.

J-vo, glad to hear about your successful battle with that demanding guy, AL. I have had some luck recently drinking diet soda to curb my evening food cravings. Though I generally find it too sweet, it seems to help break that "going to the cupboard for something more routine" I fall into too often. I have neither gained nor lost weight in the past couple of years, but I still have a goal to lose 15# by the end of 2009.

Moo, linen! How could you! I am so grateful to be in a profession where I wear shorts and a t-shirt to work in the summer.

Lila, I'm glad Eve's lavender idea appeals to you. It is pretty easy to grow, needing lots of sun and well-drained soil (not clay).

MooFarmer, I assume you have a dairy farm (duh!). How many cows? Who buys your milk? I am always curious about how this all works. My dad used to buy our milk, in glass bottles, directly at a dairy farm. We always wanted to ride along with him and hopefully see the cows being milked, by machine of course. Fond memories.

Tip, have you setted on an exercise program yet? The meditative part of yoga doesn't appeal to me so much either, but it is a wonderful stretching and strengthening approach. I only took a six week class last summer, but I still use some of the exercises and positions in my at-home routine. Good for you in your alcohol control progress.

Deebs, I think I've lost track, but know you are well.

Eve, it's great to realize that there are more fun things to do at a party than see how quickly you can down another drink, eh?

Vlad, "detached youth work" I imagine is at church, right?

AskForHelp, I noticed you stopped by on DrinkTracker, and hope you are doing OK.

Take care, all
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sun - Detached work is out on the streets till 11.15pm.
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hmmm, decided I would post on Drink Tracker too - tend to do a month on, a month off to see how I'm really doing.

Comment

Good luck Vlad. I'd like to hear how that goes.
                  Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Evening J-vo, how are you today?

Comment

WOW!! So many posts since I was last on here. I did a quick read but didn't write my comments as I went as I generally do so I won't get to everyone.

Welcome Moofarmer and Wine Lover. Hi to everyone else as well! It sounds like there is a lot going on with everyone.

DeeBee you asked about the CDs. I have them sitting here on my desk but have not started using them yet. I really loved them when I was consistently listening to them. It is one of the tools from this site that I believe really helped me in the beginning. I am feeling more encouraged and less sorry for myself these days (although I have had some very valid reasons to feel sorry for myself).

Hubby and I went out for Chinese food last night. He asked me if I wanted some wine or something. I never feel like drinking AL when I have any kind of Asian food. I don't know what it is about it. I said "no" just hot tea and that I thought it would be nice to have a drink when we got home. We got home and began talking about stuff and never did have that drink! Wow did that feel good to just be content without it. I believe that even if he had gotten one for himself that I would have passed. It just wasn't there for me. Ok, so that's where I was a few months back before the personal issues came along! I can attribute it to many things, but mostly to my friends here and the encouragement and strength we receive from each other.

I have felt a sort of shift in my psyche recently. I chatted with an acquaintance about the universe sending me difficulties both in my personal and professional life. They tend to spill over onto one another as I have a very hard time leaving work at work and home at home. My brain and emotions just go with everything that's on my plate at all times. The very time that I had set professional goals for reducing my workload (I need less stress right now) three very difficult and time consuming jobs came along in a row, messing up my plan. Now more personal issues. I was side-swiped in my car and the driver didn't stop. I got his plate number and filed a police report with little concern from the police officer. Only a couple days later, my car was broken into and my portable GPS navigation system was stolen! So another police report. I am already dealing with my traumatic experience from a couple months ago and now all this?

During our chat, this acquaintance suggested that I look at my whole picture and just be aware of it, see if it's telling me anything. So that's what I went away doing (or trying to do). Several days later this shift occurred when I was whining about all the crap. It seemed like a sudden revelation and something within me just said, "Fight back against it. You have within you the power to shield yourself from this and accept it no more." I don’t know if we somehow invite stuff, or if sometimes stuff just comes in waves or seasons. No matter. I have picked myself up by the bra straps as I have done many times before in my life. What has happened can’t be undone. What happens tomorrow isn’t worth worrying over. What I do right now is what is important.

I thought about that same shift and how we have to get that change somewhere in our psyche or our mindset, or whatever one wishes to call it when it comes to our AL use. It can certainly apply to AL as well as all the other stuff. And even though I didn't see it as that at the moment, I think there was this huge shift for me regarding AL as well. "Fight back against it. You have within you the power to shield yourself from this [lack of control] and accept it no more."

Thank you all my mod friends. I need to hang with you even if it is not as often as I would like.

I hope all of you are doing well. Be safe over the Independence Day weekend (American mods)! And just have a great weekend (non-American mods)!

periwinkle :h
                      Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Peri, wow! What a great post. Sometimes the most difficult thing is to change our perspective, and you have done that. All the tools on the outside help, but getting to the inside is the challenge, and you have done that. Congrats!
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

We're keeping the light on for you!

Sunbeam;654033 wrote: Sometimes the most difficult thing is to change our perspective, and you have done that.
                          Peri, You certainly have done a paradym shift and that is wonderful - look at things a different way and you get different results...like the picture we did a while back of the beautiful young woman or the old ugly one with the big witch nose. They were both there in the picture - just depended on how you looked at it and which one you saw.
                          Young Lady or An Old Hag ?! | Mighty Optical Illusions

You have had a lot of negative things happen lately. You mentioned about attracting it. I say turn that energy around and focus on attracting only good into your life. There are great tapes and books with that principle: "The Secret", "The law of attraction", "Ask and it is given" by Hicks. Remember, the library is always a good resource and surprisingly has most books.

Keep coming here and know that we your MWO friends and Mod Squad buddies are always keeping the light on for you.

:l:h:l
                          Eve11
                          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

mooderator;653173 wrote: ....And with the great DEBATE that ensues after a couple of drinks...well done for resisting that urge...
                            Just had to comment on this post as well. Even though the Mod life for us can be the good life as our dear Kid would say having that one or two does set one up for craving and wanting more. Someone on MWO posted "If I don't have the first one I won't have the last one". I LOVE that and really, really try to keep that in mind when I start drinking. One of the reasons they say being AF is easier I'm sure!

The big party today? Safer to go AF but my plan will be to start AF and then enjoy a glass of wine with the food and perhaps one more into the evening. Can you imagine how much a person can drink at a party from 5:00-10:00 if you got there and started drinking and drank with wild abandon throughout it? (hmm...like I used to??!!) Crazy isn't it??

Will post how I did. Ofcourse I won't be driving.

Holiday hugs,
                            Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Too much fun. Ok kids, I'm on a roll. Was looking at the optical illusions page which led to surfing other things like the world's most scariest places, etc. Then came across the world's most expensive liquor.

Remember our sweet Zed who discovered it's better to drink better quality stuff less frequently? Well, couldn't resist but had to cut and paste this for MooF and Vlad our vodka lovers. Now...if we said you were only allowed to purchase this brand would it help?

$1,060,000 - Diva Vodka
                              This bottle of vodka hails from Scotland and its price is the result of how much ?bling? you want your bottle to have. The bottle can be encrusted with precious gems: diamonds, rubies, sapphires, etc. Blackwood Distillers makes this triple distilled vodka that is ice-filtered through Nordic birch charcoal and then for some reason is passed through a sand of crushed diamonds and other gems. Absolutely ridiculous!
                              :funnypost:

LOL,
                              Eve11

Comment

Eve11;654374 wrote: Now...if we said you were only allowed to purchase this brand would it help?
                                $1,060,000 - Diva Vodka
                                Yes it would.

:H

That is ridiculous. My old boss once purchased a ?1,100 bottle of brandy - and guess what, he gave me some - but made sure I only had one glass.

The last bottle of vodka I bought was January this year. Err... it didn't last a great length of time as you may guess, and if it had been Diva, would have been the quickest $1,060,000 spent with no long lasting benefits or anything to appreciate.

Well, I didn't do my detached work, my co-worker was ill so couldn't do it - this is something you don't do alone!!!

So - err, I went to the pub with hubby for a 'couple'. OK, a couple turned into three, but at least it was just one more than intended. I think the fact that I knew I had to get up in the morning to take my car to the garage (dodgy left windscreen washer and is still that way) made me think.

Oh, and my ear keeps weeping - nothing serious, just broken skin but it's very annoying.

Comment

Working...
                                X