Mod Squad August Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad August Thread!

[QUOTE=Sunbeam;701144]DancingGirl, how has your plan changed? It is fine to learn from mistakes.
    QUOTE]

Well, I must admit that my plan needs simply to be that I stick to my plan!

But my mistakes - they're worth thinking through. I knew I would be drinking twice last week - at a lunch with a friend (we have wine, but it's limited and I enjoy it) and at a planned dinner out with my husband. So mistake one - I had already let myself have wine with dinner twice before the planned lunch and dinner. Mistake two - after the lunch, I had wine again that evening with dinner. Then, on Saturday, I figured I'd gone over the recommmended seven already, so why not have something with dinner then too. (Some kind of logic, eh?) Ah well - I did stop each and every evening after dinner - had my mints, went out for a walk, all the "stopping" tools.

Now I've had 2 days AF, and plan to stay AF tomorrow. It does feel good to be sober and clear headed right now (9pm).

Good night all and happy tomorrow

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Morning Army!
      I'm off to the Doc to get tested for SFlu -- I will be dissapointed if I do have it as it means I won't be able to visit my Dad in ICU for the next couple of days. My Mum and sister have both started treatment yesterday so it's just my Gran and Aunt left who can visit.

On a more positive note, I have been AF for 3 days solid now so although I'm feeling like bunged-up-Bertie I do feel good -- if that made any sense LOL!!

And on a funnier note. Yesterday the pharmacy called to remind me I had a facial booked with them. Thank goodness they called as I'd completely forgotten I'd booked it 3 months ago at my last one. It's lovely. The beautician from Elizabeth Arden come's around every three months and because I buy their products I get a free facial, make over and a gift set. Anyway, there was a new lady doing the make overs so when asked, I told her what I normally say and that I'd like my make up natural looking etc as I really don't wear much at all. WELL! This aunty really layered it on thick!!
      I looked like a raccoon with my huge black liquid eyeline- ed eyes and I needed a chisel to get the much off my cheeks.
      Jeez!! what a mess!
      I am still sporting the bruised look today:0

DG, I love your statement "my plan is to stick to my plan!"

Sun, I really took onboard some of your hostessing tips. We are busy building quite a large outdoor entertainment area and although it's something I've always dreamed of I have had my reservations of inviting people around to get drunk. In our country everyone is encouraged to bring their own drinks to the braai but I like the idea of rather asking them to bring food and then I can control the drinks. That way there is less of a chance of someone running out of wine and getting stuck into someones hard tack and ending up rather messy -- yip it has happened on many an occassion.

Eve, learning from our mistakes is so important to our journey. As long as we don't keep repeating the same mistake over and over again expecting a different result than I feel we are taking steps forward.

Hi to KTAB, Ronnie, Vlad, Judie, and anyone I've accidentally forgotten.

Ask, you golf school getaway sounds like it was fun! Did you go with your sister? Is your daughter home again.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hi all

Just wanted to say Happy Hump Day. I am back to normal life, happily AF and all is ok. I am still very busy catching up with work after two and a half week absence so no real time to read and catch up for which Im sorry. But wanted to start to post again.

DEEBS - Am very pleased indeed to hear things are improving with DAD. X
        "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
        but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hi Modders,
          Sounds like everyone is upbeat! I've just begun my school-year journey this week after a 7-month hiatus. Wow, a bit overwhelming, but I felt so mentally ready. Now I have to work on my other mental alertness with Mr. AL. I've begun baclofen treatment to reduce my nasty cravings, as I've read up in the meds threads and am now currently reading Dr. Ameisen's book, The End of My Addiction. It's a really good read and very inspiring story. I guess you can figure that I'd not been modding too well, so the decision to begin the baclofen was my next step in working towards modding better. I've got too much to live for not to be able to enjoy life!

Vlad, glad you're feeling better. I've had chest pains in the past, and my doctor told me it was due to stressing myself out. Duh! I'm pretty good at that.

Ask, yes, school has begun! And I had another golf lesson last night. I'm learning so much and it's such a fun sport. I'm going on a big course this Sunday morning for the first time. I've been playing on a par 3. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!

Deebs, sounds like you're doing better. Glad to hear Dad is doing much better. What a relief. But what about the Sflu? Are you ok? Did somone in your family contract it? How's hubby doing?

Sun, you can invite me to your house anytime! You're a great hostess. I like your ideas. And 55? Life has just begun girlfriend. And at a much cheaper rate!

Eve, you're a role model here, but even role models can't have perfection. What is wonderful is that you analyze your behaviors from the night out and make necessary changes. I will always learn from you.

Dancing Girl, you managed 2 AF days, you can manage more! Keep trying.

To everyone else, have a great hump day!
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Morning all!
            It's really horrid weather here today so I've holed myself up at home. Not that I'm allowed to venture out since I'm being treated for swine flu:-( Feeling a little rough around the edges today but my spirit feels lighter.
            Spoke to my Pops just now and he's all settled into the general ward and giving the nurses a rough time about the menu LOL. Can't wait to hear when he can get out.
            I won't be able to see him for another 6 days just in case I infect him but I'm planning on a small welcome home party for him hopefully next weekend.

Moo, it's good to see you slowly getting back into your routine again. I am so proud of you for sticking to your mod goals through all you've been through.

Vladster, how are the holiday plans coming along? Tell me more.

J-Vo, thanks for asking about hubby. I'm afraid we haven't given his position much thought since my Dad went into hospital. It might actually be a good thing as I'm a firm believer in the right opportunity will come along. For now, he's told them that he'll stay on for 2 months and take it from there. He is terribly unhappy and won't stay on any longer than he has to.

J-Vo, I am so chuffed to be on the Bac journey with you -- I hope that it's the answer we have both been looking for:-)
            And good luck with "back to school".

Where's KTAB?? Is the only man in the squad lurking?:sofa:
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hi all,
              Deebs, I hope you aren't feeling too badly with Swine Flu (whatever number they are calling it). They say it will be toughest on young people, that older folks have some immunity from past similar viruses. I'm not sure if that older group includes me. I will get shots when they become available.

J-vo, my school starts next week: meetings all day Tues., and the kids come Weds. This is the first time we have started before Labor Day, which is on its latest possible date this year.

Moo, immersing onself in work can be healing. After each of my parents died, I took a week off, then back to work where I had other things to think about.

End of summer is here, the weather is significantly cooler today and in the upcoming forecast. I am declaring victory over alcohol control. I am no longer afraid of drinking too much, though I know once I start I will always have that tendency. We used to enjoy sharing a bottle at a restaurant. We stopped that when I did my AF time, and recognized that it really wasn't a good idea with driving. Yesterday we had lunch out; I had two glasses and my hubby just one. I will also likely have some wine at a family weekend gathering. I mostly try to limit drinks to weekly or less, but nothing bad will happen if I have a little more than that. Nothing awful happened in August, but September will include less alcohol.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hello again Modders

I am trying to catch up on news a little at a time.

DEEBS I really hope that the Swine Flu is over soon and you dont feel too terrible with it. And thanks to you for all your support of late x

SUNNY- its marvellous that you feel you can declare victory. Good for you girl. So very positive and I agree with whoever said life starts now at a mere 55. You are right the world will not end if you occasionally drink twice in one week. I know because I did recently for a couple of weeks and I am here to tell the tale, without having failed or gone madly over limits. And I have slotted straight back to "normal" ie AF now I am back in my home environment. I think I am close to making a similar declaration, but not until I have been here a year.

J-Vo Glad your start back is going ok. Its bound to be a bit odd after sooo long away. I wish you luck with Bacs, I dont know anything about it I am afraid aside from seeing it mentioned here. I hope it helps with any cravings.

So love to all....

Moo

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hi everyone,
                  Well, I'm exhausted. I forgot what it felt like to have a real job and my body is having a bit of a time getting used to the fast pace. The good thing is that I'm too tired to drink! We've had metal detectors installed this year and it took the staff 1 1/2 hours to get all the kids through and checked. They're going to tweak the system the next several days to see if that improves the pace of them getting through. This is all new to us, so it was quite chaotic this morning.

Dee, I hope you're feeling ok. What were the symptoms that you had? Glad Pops is nagging the nurses! The bac has made me tired the last two days. I've titrated up to 50mg and I think I'll stay at this dose for a bit longer - until my body feels normal and not feeling quite so tired. I'd like to talk to you more about this just to compare notes. I can't seem to connect well with the people up at the Bac. threads. I'll keep trying.

Sun, good luck next week. I'm quite exhausted! Sheesh! Maybe that 7 months off wasn't such a good idea! I'm not getting any naps anymore and getting up at 5 a.m. Hopefully I'll feel better next week and get back to my walking. I can't seem to get the energy to move. What age group do you work with?

Hi Moo! Glad you're getting back into the swing of normalcy. And congrats on your self control over the difficult weeks you've had. You're a trooper!

To all modders, have a peaceful evening.
                  Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hi modders, sorry I havent posted for a while, been a bit hectic here. Well I started my new journey on the 12th and so far so good (flipping should be, says he, its only been 2 weeks ). I am sticking rigidly to my plan and didnt find any desire to have another drink when my limit was reached. Need to keep a close eye on the frequency though, as I feel that could become an issue if not watched. I think letting down our guard or becoming complacent is the easiest was to slip up. Anyway I hope everyone is well on top of their personal goals and in total control. See you guys soon.
                    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Morning everyone,
                      I woke at 4:20 a.m. and only had a half hour to sleep, so I got up. Lately, once I've woken, my mind starts thinking about the day and all I have to do. I'm sure I'll settle down a bit, I hope! This was only the first week of school, so I might be settled down by let's say May? Ugh!

KTAB, good work on your goals! I agree about the frequency. That's probably the number one thing that will take us back to square one. I know Sunbeam will agree with that.

Just wanted to say good morning. Hope everyone has a good day.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hi friends,

J-vo, I've been in to school a couple of times for meetings, but next week will be every day - yikes! Soon I will get into the groove, and another year will flash by. My assignment is k-12, but I mostly work with elementary age, a lot of kindergardeners. In summer I work part-time with preschoolers. They are all very cute, but boy can they move fast! Much faster than me!
                        I will be attending a family gathering in honor of my MIL's 85th birthday. She is frail but still with us. I'll be back Sunday p.m.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Dear ALL

Thank heavens its the weekend. I am so knackered. I cant wait fot the working day to end and for it to be the bank holiday. On the upside I have next week off work. The first half I am at home then on wednesday we go away to visit FIL (just lost (MIL) and then to my best friends wedding, so a very mixed emotional bag. Thus I need to spend the next few days just being. Being quiet, being nice to myself and I definitely dont want any AL until I go away. I have been excellent since I got back, I havent touched it and havent wanted it. So I am AF for the BH weekend and most of next week. I plan some extra sleep, some therapeutic tidying and cleaning, some exercise, some cooking....oh and some shopping!!

So, wanted to wish everyone a happy weekend.

SUNNY i hope you enjoy your weekend...and its worthy of a celebration that your MIL is 85 having just lost mine at the age of 61, it makes you realise how precise life and people are....enjoy your family....x

Love Moo

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

My sympathies about your mother-in-law, Moo. 61 is far too young! Yes, people are far too precious to look at them through blurry eyes and an AL-soaked brain (although we've all certainly expressed a lot of love in that state!!)

I came home from a meeting just as low as I've felt for a month - although the thought hit me that maybe it is that cursed monthly thing. I had a real struggle this pm not too have a glass of wine. One of my personal rules is that if I *really* want it, I really shouldn't. Got around it so far by procrastinating - I'll have some tea and then maybe I'll have the wine. Now I'll have some water, then maybe I'll have some wine. I'll wait until 5pm and see if I want it. Well, now it's just past 5, so I'm here saying I didn't have it! I think dinner might be easier. I do have a habit of lemon perrier now, and enjoy it.

Ready to be busy soon - I, like you Sunbeam, am in the education end. A tsunami of tsudents is headed my way!

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Moo, I didn't realize your MIL was so young. That's 5 years younger than my mom. I can't remember what she died from. Have a great weekend. Comfort your FIL, and have a great time at your BF's wedding!

Sun, it just doesn't seem right that these children keep getting younger each year!!!! I'm certainly not aging every year, right! You mostly work with little ones. Oh, how sweet the wee little one's must be. My son is almost 12 and I still love to watch the videos we took of him when he was that age. Four years old has to be the cutest, with all the funny things they say. Enjoy your weekend.

Dancing, keep on pushing and dancing through those struggles. I'd love to know what educational position your in if you want to share. I teach 8th grade reading. They're a little nuts at that age!

Night.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Morning friends.

Moo, I too didn't realise your MIL was so young. My Mum turns 60 at the end of this year and I keep thinking how young and vibrant she is.

I spent yesterday hiding at the bottom of my garden. Luckily it was a beautiful day with a bit of chill in the air. The workers stripped my ceiling and put a new one in, with new cornicing -- can you just IMAGINE the mess. So I took myself off to the garden and potted about in the veggie patch ALL day. My Mum and sister came to visit me (they the only ones not worried about catching SFlu LOL) and we had a picnic under the African Flame tree and caught up on all the going's on. It was good for the soul.

Today is rugby, rugby and more rugby. Because we are playing in Oz it means that the game starts at lunch time and then the next one is at 3pm which entails everyone drinking from early in the day *sigh* I think I might take a rain check as my discipline has dissapeared recently:-(

Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend:
                                Love to all.

Comment

Working...
                                X