Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad August Thread!

Dear ALL

Last night I had a beasty moment, induced by PMT. Came here and posted pros and cons on my PLAN, then made a little plan about having something sweet and then doing some chores, followed it to the letter and hey presto... It worked, didnt give into the beast and he abated quickly. He has not yet returned...PERSONAL BATTLE WON. Really pleased.

Yes guys, my MIL was 61, she had battled with CANCER for 21 years in total. She was first diagnosed at 39....had all the treatment then and was in remission for 17 years...she then had a relapse 6 years ago and has been fighting until the day she died. She is my hero and I miss her dearly. We have her PUSSY CAT here so I am reminded of her daily, not that at the moment I could forget. She died in me and Mr Moo's arms. She was in pain and asking us to help her, telling us she did not know what to do and we could do nothing but tell her we loved her and try and make her comfortable. I think it was he hardest thing I have seen and I would not wish it on any one.

Take care all of you lovely people.

Moo
    "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
    but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

That had to be so hard Moo. You're a strong person.
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

I haven't been on here for a week. Like J-Vo, Sunbeam and Dancing girl, I'm back at work in education (speech therapist for preschool and kinder/primary) and it is a bit of a shock after lazy summer days. Alas, coming home tired combined with husband gone for a week has been bad on the moderating front. I was doing so well I was forgetting to take my baclofen and pretty much tapered off of it, thinking I didn't need it. I've decided I still do for now.
        DeeBee, sounds like you luckily have a mild flu if you can work in the garden all day! Hope your dad is continuing to improve. Moo, that sounds so hard with your MIL. I'm so sorry they weren't able to control the pain better.
        I'm off to the dog park to get the dogs tired. Hi to everyone!

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hi All

I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend. Cooked for Ma and Pops last night, Dad and Mr Moo had a couple of beers, Ma and I had sparkling grape juice. Did not need or want AL, so very pleased. Here's to an AF weekend.
          "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
          but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hello Mod Squad!
            I've been away so long, I'll never get all caught up...So I'm just going to jump back in.

I've modded okay this summer, but last week we were on vacation and it was a bit of a slippery slope. I started out with 2 glasses of wine a night and by the end of the week was up to 5 in a day. I turned 45 on Friday, and I had 4 glasses of wine. Then my dear, wonderful 10 year old pointed out that I was repeating myself, and I was so sickened at the thought. 3, 4, 5 drinks is too much!!! No, it's not falling down, passing out or acting outrageous drunk...But it's blurry memory, sleepy, unfocused, unmotivated, let the kids watch TV instead of playing drunk.

I'm going to do an AF stretch...Not sure how long, just taking it one day at a time for now. I'm thinking maybe instead of thinking of my goal as moderation, I need to think of my goal as "occassional" drinking. It seems that if I drink 2-3 glasses of wine for a couple of days in a row, it gets me back into that compulsive frame of mind that is so troubling to me. I start thinking about drinking by 3 pm, and then I just wish the afternoon away! How crazy is that???

I was AF last night and feel pretty good about it this morning. Today will be another AF day, and I want to follow it with more.

I thought of you all often when I wasn't posting. I felt lost and unsure what my goals were or where I belonged. I'd like to be back and figure it out. Love to all. Sara
            "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Morning everyone!
              I think spring has arrived a couple of days early here in Durban -- we've had the most fantastic weather this weekend. The flu hit me with a vengence the last two days but I'm feeling much perkier today.
              My Dad is being discharged from hospital this afternoon and I'll take him to recoup at his sister's house for a week until my Mum and sister are better.

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Sara!!

Hiya Sara:-) It's good to have you back with us. I'm afraid I don't have any advice to offer right now as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you -- hang in there and stay close.

I can't believe that the month is nearly over and it's all downhill to Xmas now. Tomorrow is the first day of spring so I'm going to make it count. I think my goals and plans can all do with a spring clean as well as my attitude to AL.

Have a great week everyone.

P.S. Still no word from Judie?
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hi everybody,
                September starts tomorrow, but today I start back to full-time work. The weather definitely is cooler, I love fall weather. I will miss summer but after maybe a week of transition, another year will fly by. I am ready for even more AF time, and will focus on my need to lose a few pounds.

Sara, you are always welcome here, it is good to see you.

Moo, my mom died at age 64 suddenly from a heart attack, and I lost my dad to cancer three years after that. There just is no easy way for them to go.

Good work DG and Moo on resisting the call of AL.

Sara, Deebs, Louise, we probably wouldn't be here if we didn't need the support.

Take care, all!
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hey Everyone,
                  Thanks for welcoming me back. It's good to be here.

I had a glass of wine last night, then started in on more, but felt that it was the "compulsive" kind of drinking, and poured it out. I'm so glad I did. Today I feel okay, and would like to be AF tonight...But it's always easy to say that in the morning. I'll check in later. Best to all.
                  Sara
                  "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Me too!
                    I'm also AF tonight.
                    I quite liked Greenies suggestion of aiming for 30 consecutive days and not worrying about the whole month. As you all know my goal for August was to be AF and then the wheels fell off and I just thought to hell with it as I'd already messed up the month of August.
                    So, yes, I am seriously considering my plan and goals going forward.
                    But for today -- I am AF!
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hey DeeBee, and the rest of the squad...Are you hanging in there? I wanted a drink starting at about 4:00 today, but I've made it without and it's 5:45 now. The craving is starting to pass. Lots to do with the kids, so I'm doing it sober!
                      Sara

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hi. Thanks to all of you here, I have decided to do AF for 30days in SEP. I am a little bit scared because It sounds like life makeover to me ( actually I am hoping that way). Please wish me a luck!!

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

It will definitely be a makeover Miss E! I can't wait to see the new and real Miss E:-)
                          All the best to you on your new and exciting journey -- keep us posted.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

miss elle;706137 wrote: Hi. Thanks to all of you here, I have decided to do AF for 30days in SEP. I am a little bit scared because It sounds like life makeover to me ( actually I am hoping that way). Please wish me a luck!!
                            Miss Elle,
                            We have jumped over to the Sept. moderation thread so you may want to repost this as most will not be checking the Aug thread now but will be posting on Sept.

Good luck to you! We're here for support.
                            :l
                            Eve11
                            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                            X