Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've lost my way...Is moderation worth the effort?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

greeneyes;705580 wrote: Come over to the ODAT thread and we'll help you. AF daily thread too.
    Sara,

It's so great we have so much support here. I love this place!

I shared this story once before but I had a friend who would drink wine nightly. One day when she was watching her daughter play with her Barbie dolls - the doll (representing the mother) was having her nightly fix of wine! My friend realized what a sponge children are and wasn't quite sure she wanted to be giving that message to her daughter.

Our kids watch everything we do.

I remember I had to get a miniature vacuum when my son was a toddler so he could vacuum like mom. Now as teens/pre-teens I'm not so sure I want to give the message they should drink like mom. For me, I rarely drink at home and we haven't gotten into the habit of the drink at the end of the day or the drink with dinner in the home environment after working all day. The exception is we will have a drink or two if we're cooking at home on a week-end night.

I am still caught up with having the glass or two of wine when we go out so I am still drinking most Fridays and Saturdays as we usually go out to dinner or out with friends to comedy clubs, etc. and the drinking is a social event then. At least I no longer come home pleasantly drunk, possibly slurring like I did a couple of years ago!

Never give up working your program Sara and know we're here for you and for each other.

Live in such a way that there will be no REGRETS when someone else follows in your Footsteps.
    :l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks Greeneyes, and thanks Eve11.

I'll check out the ODAT thread. I don't think I ever have!

I love the story about Barbie. It's sad but powerful. I wonder about my boys seeing my husband drink, and sometimes have one or two when we're all out to dinner and then drive us all home. How will we tell them not to drink and drive when they're teenagers? I know he's not drunk, but it would send such a good message if he said, "I won't have a drink, since I'm driving us home." I think it's time I started doing that. :thanks:
      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

y
        I am Perfectly Imperfect!

Comment

Hiya SaraSmiles,

Another Sara here, 27 yrs old and something an AA friend said back when I was 23yrs old keeps coming back to me on the odd occassion...' You are so young Sara, I wish I had
          ' Got it 'at you age, you are so lucky'. Meanwhile nearly 5 years on I am still in limbo...to go AF or to moderate?
          I have been an extreme binge drinker since the precious age of 13. My defenition of extreme being: anywhere from 0-35 standard drinks in a night out. I grew up mimicking the boys, wanting to fit in and trained my body to take an incredible amount of poison.

The day after for me brings incredible remorse, shame, feelings of worthlessness and sometimes huge amounts of anxiety feeling on the verge of a panic attack.

YET....I have also had many long periods of sobriety and although they brought some wonderful bouts of clarity, clear headedness and a higher sense of worth, I still end up desperatly wanting to be part of that laughing crowd of people gathered at a table at the edge of the beer garden.

Does this make me an alcoholic..I believe not, I believe that I have created some awful habits early on in age , to fill a void/fit in and I believe with perseverence I can overcome this deeply ingrained habit. Is it worth it? Ask me in 6 months : )

Anyway I am not sure exactly what my point is ( years of drinking before my brain had fully developed has left me a little scarce of focus)...just wanted to share my journey , as all are unique but in a heartbreaking way - exactly the same.

Sara xxxx
          I am Perfectly Imperfect!

Comment

I so far have been sober for about 10 days and I really don't have any cravings or desire for alcohol. I just stopped by accident, Had some minor surgery and during recovery I just wasn't drinking. I even made a mushroom sauce the other day that required wine and I cooked with it and put the bottle back on the shelf without desire.

Before that I was sort of moderating. 3 to 4 glasses of wine every few days, I don't count I think it's just as unhealthy to count as it is to be wasted off your ass all the time.

I like being sober for now it really has helped me out with my workouts, I have also noticed that I have lost some water weight, alcohol makes you dehydrated and in turn you retain fluids.

I think the best way to moderate is if you are able to just naturally progress into it.

If you force yourself and you don't enjoy just that one glass then you will fail. it is the same with diet and exercise.
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Working...
            X